BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fuck. We’re supposed to be there from July 5 - 8th. Fuckity-fuck-fuck.
View Quote

Maybe switch to Grand Teton?
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:31:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Trump did this
View Quote

S'ok another billion of borrowing and biden will make it worse...
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:32:40 PM EDT
[#3]
2.87 million Chinese are gonna be pissed.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:33:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That sucks for the people that have been planning their trip for a while.  It is what it is.

I remember standing on the catwalk by the Upper Falls after some heavy rain.  That was really cool.
View Quote

My sister and her fam were going in today for a four day stay… turned around at the gate.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey! To keep on keeping on, pipe that shit to Las Vegas hahaha.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You could just stick to the southern loop of Yellowstone (it should be open no problem by then) and Grand Teton.
View Quote

Our plan was to come in on the east and head west, we have a campground booked at Rainbow Point. Then head up to Belgrade for half a day then back down via North Entrance, which is fucked, and back out the east to Clearwater Campground. Then back in through the East Entrance working our way down to Grand Tetons.

How fucked are we?
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I thought there was a 200 yr drought out west RN?
View Quote

The West is big. We have decent snowpack here in The Bighorns, the southern part of the state is dry as balls… the further you go south the dryer it is. It’s pretty damn bad in places.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Guys the lower loop if I were to guess will be open by the weekend. Expect roads up north to be down for weeks.

Just a wild guess.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We have res at a Cody campground for 6 days over July 4 holiday. Been looking for another campground on west side after that. Wife said she read Yellowstone was closing for the season! Can anybody confirm? I guess we’ll be making changes in our itinerary.
View Quote

Doubt it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Will any of this reach the Colorado river basin? Powell and Meade sure could use it.
View Quote

Nope
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:40:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Our plan was to come in on the east and head west, we have a campground booked at Rainbow Point. Then head up to Belgrade for half a day then back down via North Entrance, which is fucked, and back out the east to Clearwater Campground. Then back in through the East Entrance working our way down to Grand Tetons.

How fucked are we?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could just stick to the southern loop of Yellowstone (it should be open no problem by then) and Grand Teton.

How fucked are we?

Adapt.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#13]
The beavers did this
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I didn't hear exactly the location, but the radio this morning was saying there were long waits getting into Oregon from Washington because that particular bridge was constantly raised for shipping... apparently the Columbia is up 15 feet..

I know a week ago they were saying we've had more rain here than a usual entire month of June.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Moist.

I am headed to Belgrade MT.  maybe I'll get lucky and the interstate will wash out so I'll be stuck there for a while.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well that sucks.  Yellowstone is the only place I can usually get my wife motivated for vacation planning and we were going to do a week in September again this year.  

May have to see if I can get her to sub Glacier.  She generally prefers Yellowstone around the rut but if we can't navigate the park we will have to come up with an alternate.

The wife is all about the wildlife so area around Mammoth, Lamar and Hayden is where we spend the most time.   A hike at first light on the Beaver Pond Loop is where she first got a close up look at a bull pushing his harem up the mountain bugling. I am pretty sure that is where she fell in love with the place.   It wouldn't quite be the same if we couldn't get up in that area in the fall.

We do love Jackson and Teton though.  If the roads are closed a winter trip to Jackson and a sled dog trip up in the Bridger Teton may be a good alternative.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most of the west is still in a drought. WA is the only one that's nearly pulled out of it. The rain has been crazy this spring, so far we're at 3.4x the normal June rainfall. Last June we hit 116º.

I'm hoping the wildfires here at least are attenuated this year.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Somebody better tell the dude that stayed in Fargo last night.
View Quote

He should have bought the undercoating.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Nope
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will any of this reach the Colorado river basin? Powell and Meade sure could use it.

Nope

Looks like it’s the Missouri River basin, that’s interesting. The water that’s flooding out Yellowstone will eventually pass St Louis, New Orleans, and enter the gulf.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:50:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Not up North, we're totally full. I think I read that we're at 110% of rainfall needed for the summer. Our driveway is flooded right now from all the rain we've gotten over the last week, and it's been pissing rain all day today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. We're in the droughtiest of droughts. Wouldn't believe it myself if the news didn't say so.

Not up North, we're totally full. I think I read that we're at 110% of rainfall needed for the summer. Our driveway is flooded right now from all the rain we've gotten over the last week, and it's been pissing rain all day today.

Damn.

On Thurs/Friday of last week we got around 2.5" on rain.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 8:01:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

How fucked are we?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How fucked are we?

You're not going out the North Entrance, that much is dead certain sure.  If you go in and out the East and South entrances, you might be good to go.  You won't be going anywhere north of Tower though.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Guys the lower loop if I were to guess will be open by the weekend. Expect roads up north to be down for weeks.

Just a wild guess.
View Quote

Months.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 8:02:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Just a wild guess.
View Quote

I was supposed to be there July 1. Camping at Mammoth Springs. Guess not?
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 8:03:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The wife is all about the wildlife so area around Mammoth, Lamar and Hayden is where we spend the most time.   A hike at first light on the Beaver Pond Loop is where she first got a close up look at a bull pushing his harem up the mountain bugling. I am pretty sure that is where she fell in love with the place.   It wouldn't quite be the same if we couldn't get up in that area in the fall.

We do love Jackson and Teton though.  If the roads are closed a winter trip to Jackson and a sled dog trip up in the Bridger Teton may be a good alternative.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well that sucks.  Yellowstone is the only place I can usually get my wife motivated for vacation planning and we were going to do a week in September again this year.  

May have to see if I can get her to sub Glacier.  She generally prefers Yellowstone around the rut but if we can't navigate the park we will have to come up with an alternate.

Lots of wildlife in the Tetons.  Moose down the Gros Ventre campground area, bears out at Pilgrim Creek, elk everywhere.  You should still be able to get to the Hayden.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

That few?
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I was supposed to be there July 1. Camping at Mammoth Springs. Guess not?
View Quote

That's a definite no.  You could try camping outside the east entrance.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 8:16:51 PM EDT
[#28]
(Removed, CoC-1 ~guns762)
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 8:19:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Oh man, that’s gonna wash away the cap, and detonate that thing.  
View Quote

nope, there is an asteroid coming in 2029 and it will hit the yellowstone caldera. solid iron thing. fun times.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Just a wild guess.
View Quote
I think "Weeks" is optimistic

Video shows road destroyed in Yellowstone as tourists remain trapped in area

Link Posted: 6/13/2022 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

2nd week of June, generally a killing freeze, but only down to 38* tonite. We had 3 days of rain probably at least 2.5" which is a lot of water here. Snow in the highlands. Clouds are mostly gone and now WIND, strong winds. Forecasting 90* by Friday. Very hot to freezing at night. Wont have to cover the garden, considering it very good. Let it pour. Next up 1st week in July... Winter storm warnings with snow.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Red Lodge got hammered too US 212 is closed between WY/MT

VIDEO: Drone footage of devastating Red Lodge flood (courtesy of Beartooth Slingshot Rentals)

Link Posted: 6/13/2022 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a wild guess.

Months.

But hey, the offensive mountain got renamed, so at least the important stuff is covered

https://www.foxnews.com/us/yellowstone-peak-renamed-old-name-offensive-park-service

The National Park Service announced last week that Yellowstone National Park's Mount Doane would be renamed First Peoples Mountain.

The agency said Thursday the change was taken to remove an "offensive name" from America's first national park.

The U.S. Board on Geographic Names voted unanimously, 15-0, affirming the decision.

Link Posted: 6/13/2022 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Flooding is insane right now in Montana.
View Quote

Sure is. I've heard of a few reservoirs getting full to the point they've had to open spillways. That's going to make things downstream mighty interesting.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#36]
wow.  Hopefully those in the path can get to safety.  

We were supposed to go 10 July for a trip that has been rescheduled 3 times due to shutting down the Inn during Covid.  We went in 2020, but bucket list was to stay in the Inn.  Not that year, moved to 2021, closed, moved to 2022.

We;ve got rafting in Gardiner (crazy looking at that video!)
horseback in roosevelt
Stay in the Inn.

Lets see what shakes out
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:00:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

We were supposed to go 10 July for a trip that has been rescheduled 3 times due to shutting down the Inn during Covid.  We went in 2020, but bucket list was to stay in the Inn.  Not that year, moved to 2021, closed, moved to 2022.

horseback in roosevelt
Stay in the Inn.

Lets see what shakes out
View Quote

I'd start looking into alternatives if I were you.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a wild guess.

Months.

I'm hoping they will divert all construction crews off the projects that were supposed to be happening on the southern loop and renegotiate to have them get the roads open.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You're not going out the North Entrance, that much is dead certain sure.  If you go in and out the East and South entrances, you might be good to go.  You won't be going anywhere north of Tower though.
View Quote

Thank you.

Plan was to head toward the East Entrance via Cody as we leave Devils Tower, then head west to our campground. Buddy has an appointment at GFC in Belgrade and other friend is dropping off his dad at the airport. We could just head back down west side and and then south into the Grand Tetons. Biggest question is if we can even head east to west.

That could be Plan B. But we’d have to find a place to camp that night…
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Here’s a question–

How much does all of that extra water weigh, and what impact could that have, especially when it recedes, on the Yellowstone caldera???
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

horseback in roosevelt
Stay in the Inn.

Lets see what shakes out

Yeah, I can cancel the airfair w/o penalty and I'msure the reservations in the park will be moved again to next year.  Only rafting and Gardiner might be effected. Damn those people have shitty luck.  First a first destroys part of town, then this......
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

horseback in roosevelt
Stay in the Inn.

Lets see what shakes out
View Quote

You won't be rafting in Gardiner, I can tell you that for sure.  You also most likely won't be doing anything at Roosevelt.  By July 10th, the southern loop may be open, but the northern loop (Tower, Roosevelt and the Lamar, and likely Mammoth) won't be open for anywhere from weeks to months.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:14:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Maybe switch to Grand Teton?
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:16:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thank you.

Plan was to head toward the East Entrance via Cody as we leave Devils Tower, then head west to our campground. Buddy has an appointment at GFC in Belgrade and other friend is dropping off his dad at the airport. We could just head back down west side and and then south into the Grand Tetons. Biggest question is if we can even head east to west.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

I can't think why you wouldn't be able to go out the west entrance if the waters have receded by then.  I haven't heard of any road damage that way.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:18:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Red Lodge got hammered too US 212 is closed between WY/MT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tld1LmRbBLw
View Quote

Fuuuuck.
That's one of my favorite places in MT.
I've got 2 trips planned out there.

Hope they're all OK. I need me some fajitas and margaritas from Borgarts and a steam in my hotel room at the Yodeler.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I can't think why you wouldn't be able to go out the west entrance if the waters have receded by then.  I haven't heard of any road damage that way.
View Quote

More so concerned if the east will be open.

Last year was PCH just outside of SLO falling into the ocean, and now this. Hm. Guess I’m the common denominator.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not north of Cali.

Nick
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:21:15 PM EDT
[#48]
This is good, all that water will just cool all the magma in the area.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Yellowstone National Park Flooding
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Damn.
View Quote

Page / 6
Top Top