BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought there was a 200 yr drought out west RN?
View Quote

There is in parts of California.  The Yellowstone River runs into the Missouri River, i.e. east of the Continental Divide.  That water will end up in the Mississippi River.

Geography.  It's what's for dinner.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:26:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

More so concerned if the east will be open.

Last year was PCH just outside of SLO falling into the ocean, and now this. Hm. Guess I’m the common denominator.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't think why you wouldn't be able to go out the west entrance if the waters have receded by then.  I haven't heard of any road damage that way.

More so concerned if the east will be open.

Last year was PCH just outside of SLO falling into the ocean, and now this. Hm. Guess I’m the common denominator.

As far as I know, there's no damage to the roads that way, but that could change.  Pelican Creek was overflowing its banks, but I haven't seen anyone reporting the roads are out, just high water.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:33:30 PM EDT
[#3]
No idea on the weight. But, I just got back from the Clarks Fork River canyon. This time of year is usually runs at 5,000 cfs (cubic feet/second), today it was at 23,800 cfs. The dirt road into the canyon was gone for about 200 yards. There was probably at least 60 acres of land gone from the force of the river, and you could constantly hear boulders tumbling down the river under the water. The force of the river was causing land slides about 100 feet above the water level. The course of that river in that canyon is going to be permanently changed after today. Spectacular display of natures power. I feel for those folks up in Montana catching the worst of this.

**meant to reply to NY12ga.....screwed it up
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
(Removed, CoC-1 ~guns762)
View Quote

Wow really ?
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Flooding is insane right now in Montana.
View Quote
Less tourists in town this summer, then.

The rain is doing wonders for my place, but some of this is heartbreaking.  A bunch of guys were gone from work today to help family with houses or cabins that were in danger.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:45:50 PM EDT
[#6]
They should run a really long pipe from there down to Lake Mead.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Never moving to MT, WY, or ID.
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Now, if someone could just figure out how to get all that excess water to Lake Mead…

Why no TVA type infrastructure project of a regional to national network of flood capture and storage and pipeline to send water to drought stricken areas??

And when not needed for drought, pump it back into the ground to replenish aquifers, we’re doing that here in Wichita…

It would be huge, but think of the benefits.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 10:05:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thank you
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you

Your profile has you in Nevada??
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 10:06:24 PM EDT
[#10]
My wife and I were going to spend our 30th wedding anniversary staying in a lake view room at the Lake Hotel.  Never stayed there before.  Of course, we cancelled.  I don't know where the hell we're going now.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 10:19:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Please group Colorado in there too.
View Quote

Will do.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

nope just the once in every 500 years flood that happened 500 years ago and now has started to happen once a decade. just like in colorado.
View Quote

It's not a timer....
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 11:05:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you

So is mine. With a home in MT.

Local rivers there west Rosebud, Stillwater, 15 miles to Yellowstone river

Mystic lake dam is a concern there.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 11:20:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We have res at a Cody campground for 6 days over July 4 holiday. Been looking for another campground on west side after that. Wife said she read Yellowstone was closing for the season! Can anybody confirm? I guess we’ll be making changes in our itinerary.
View Quote

How about up in the Bighorn Mountains instead?
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 11:47:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My wife and I were going to spend our 30th wedding anniversary staying in a lake view room at the Lake Hotel.  Never stayed there before.  Of course, we cancelled.  I don't know where the hell we're going now.
View Quote
Glacier Park

Alaska
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 11:49:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Glacier Park

Alaska
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glacier Park

Alaska

Our anniversary is in 3 weeks.  Glacier is booked, mostly.  And Alaska isn't an option.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 11:57:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Wondering if Lake Meade, will get any of that runoff?
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 11:59:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Wondering if Lake Meade, will get any of that runoff?
View Quote

LOL!  No.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 12:04:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Yellowstone National Park Flooding
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 12:14:56 AM EDT
[#21]
I just visited this past Friday.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 12:19:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Hope all that ground water doesn't find its way into the caldera.   The steam produced could cause.......problems.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 12:21:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Fuuuck. I’m taking the family to Yellowstone in 2 weeks
View Quote

Not anymore
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 12:28:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Glad I visited last year
Eesh ??
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 4:42:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

My wife loves the Lake Hotel as well.  Great view and winding down before dinner with a cocktail listing to the pianist after a day of hiking is very relaxing.  

Someone mentioned Glacier and Alaska already but I will throw in a plug for heading up into Canada to Waterton National Park if a lake view is a requirement.

The lodge at Teton is also a possibility.   The view of the sun setting over the mountains is pretty spectacular from the lobby and the dining room.  Some of the rooms might also face that direction but I am not sure about that as we stayed in one of the "less expensive" motor lodge style rooms in the woods on the east side.  

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 5:39:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Just saw the helicopter or drone footage.

Roads are completely washed out at every river bend.

It's going to take years to repair. Parts and labor shortage along with all the environmental assessments to do the work etc. Can't work during winter most likely.

The animals at Yellowstone will appreciate the break from people.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:39:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Hotter than normal?  Global warming.  Colder than normal?  Climate change.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too late.  Bloomberg already blamed it on climate change.  Drought?  Climate change.  Flood?  Climate change?  Hurricanes?  Climate change.  No hurricanes?  Climate change.

Hotter than normal?  Global warming.  Colder than normal?  Climate change.

What's normal?
What it was before climate change.
What was that?
Don't ask for specifics, denier.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:49:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Glacier Park

Alaska
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glacier Park

Alaska

As if Glacier wasn't crowded enough, now it's going to have everybody who has cancelled Yellowstone.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:52:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I thought there was a 200 yr drought out west RN?
View Quote

Yeah...Herr Inslee declared a 200 year drought in Washington state.....wettest spring in decades.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:54:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah, nah.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is pretty serious damage, I hope they can fix it in the next month or two, but I doubt. BTW I hope they some of that water can come to Kalifornia, we can use it, many of the major reservoirs are nearly dry. BTW I have heard that 50% of the water is for "environmental" purposes, remermber the snail darter fish? And 2/3 of the other half is for agriculture and 1/3 of that is for residential.

Yeah, nah.

California's water issues are of it's own design.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:55:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Used to be one of my favorite places in the world to visit until so many foreigners started coming and it got so overcrowded it was unbearable. I could tell nearly unbelievable stories about how crowded it got. Despite all the sign warnings and video at the welcome center of a guy getting charged and hooked by the antlers of a bison and tossed up in the air people continue to get too close to take pictures and get injured to this day.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:58:34 AM EDT
[#32]

One things for sure, I damn sure wouldn’t be driving up Firehole Canyon Road with those water levels, just to get video footage. That road is sketchy AF in a couple areas and wayyy down if that road gives way
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 7:05:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Fuuuck. I’m taking the family to Yellowstone in 2 weeks
View Quote

I bet a pinch to a pound of pig shit you don't. At least not this year. Next year maybe.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 7:20:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Glacier > Yellowstone if you've already been to Yellowstone once already.

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 7:57:03 AM EDT
[#35]
updated on page 1
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 8:18:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Glacier for the scenery, Yellowstone for the wildlife.  Both are beautiful places in their own way.  

Someone else mentioned the tourists.  They do clog the roads but if you go in fall (early fall in Glacier if you want any facilities), get up early and hit the trail you can go miles and see very few people.  Almost everyone in the park congregates within a 1/4 mile of the parking areas.

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 8:20:12 AM EDT
[#37]
My neighbor called about that last night.  Greatly concerned, as her family is supposed to be out there in July.  They weren't all that excited about the trip, as it was the matriarch's idea and plan, but I've been talking up Yellowstone for the past year, and it seemed they were finally getting excited about it ... and then this.

I'm just me, so I've got flexibility for stuff like this if I was out there.  I'd bounce up to Glacier or Robson or hit some different stuff in the Winds.  They, however, can't do this.  It's something like 12 people, the youngest being 3.

Not a good position for the homeowners out there, and not a good position for folks who have a trip planned for this year.

Gardiner looks hard hit.  Haven't really had a chance to take all this in.  Tonight, maybe.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 8:26:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Wow really ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
(Removed, CoC-1 ~guns762)

Wow really ?
Ok, this has got me curious about what on earth could have been said ...
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 8:32:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Great… so now there’s a Yellowstone shortage!
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 8:37:33 AM EDT
[#40]
I’m still working on some different routes and itineraries for our upcoming trip.

Forgot a friend has a sister who works at a hotel in the park. Talked to her last night, no power in the park. The hotel she’s at has evacuated all guests. She’s east of all this but it’s impacting the whole park.

First time the park has ever been closed during summer. Crazy.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 8:47:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Wow.  THATs bound to cause a few endangered species!
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 8:50:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 8:52:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Wow, I hope season 5 releases on time.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 8:54:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 9:17:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That sucks for the people that have been planning their trip for a while.  It is what it is.

I remember standing on the catwalk by the Upper Falls after some heavy rain.  That was really cool.
View Quote

My neighbors left Sunday for Yellowstone.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 9:24:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Will any of this reach the Colorado river basin? Powell and Meade sure could use it.
View Quote

The continental divide says no.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

My wife loves the Lake Hotel as well.  Great view and winding down before dinner with a cocktail listing to the pianist after a day of hiking is very relaxing.  

Someone mentioned Glacier and Alaska already but I will throw in a plug for heading up into Canada to Waterton National Park if a lake view is a requirement.

The lodge at Teton is also a possibility.   The view of the sun setting over the mountains is pretty spectacular from the lobby and the dining room.  Some of the rooms might also face that direction but I am not sure about that as we stayed in one of the "less expensive" motor lodge style rooms in the woods on the east side.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those are all great suggestions which are already sold out since our anniversary is in 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:39:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

As if Glacier wasn't crowded enough, now it's going to have everybody who has cancelled Yellowstone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glacier Park

Alaska

Nah. They'll just book for Murder Myrtle Beach instead.

Probably Hilton Head, Charleston, and Pawleys Island will be simply overflowing this year. Hell all of SC.

Enjoy your visitors.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 10:43:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Months.
View Quote

@RikWriter

When is it supposed to crest? I'm hearing 50,000 cfs. My friends in the area are having a hell of a time. I know my little corner of the world in Paradise Valley is a mess. They are concerned about the bridges from Gardiner to Big Timber. (Edit: bridge on hwy 89 at point of rocks cut off and undermined) I'm afraid there Will be more..  Lots of lives and business disrupted by this.  

I just booked my car yesterday for 17 days in paradise valley. I just hope I can drive into the valley in August.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top