Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#1]
If that comes with a special sticker for the bro dozer they will sell a bunch of those.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Damn, they’ve gone up in price.  Mine was $17.98 at Walmart…
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:40:31 PM EDT
[#3]
it's a jeep thang
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Yikes, but will it perform 40 times better than the Lodge I bought on clearance for $10?
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#6]
The pic looks awesome, but GTFO with the price tag.

Lodge is a pile of rough-surface shit.

You're better off getting a $10 flea market pan that's 100 years old with a glass-smooth surface.

I bought a whole set of Lodge, but then got a couple old pans from my grandmother when she passed. I gave away most of my Lodge stuff.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Fo hunnit dolla??

Daaaaaaamn!!
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Lodge or GTFO.
View Quote

Old Griswold or Wagner (etc) = better than Lodge (and I own both).
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:47:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You're better off getting a $10 flea market pan that's 100 years old with a glass-smooth surface.

I bought a whole set of Lodge, but then got a couple old pans from my grandmother when she passed. I gave away most of my Lodge stuff.
View Quote

You know what the difference is between that 100 year old stuff and the "crap rough lodge" stuff you gave away?

About 50 cents worth of vegetable oil.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:50:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I found this stuff years ago when I was in my late 30's. I live in well known area for quality garage sales and they only happen on certain weekends. At that time, the oldsters were aging out and getting rid of quality made in the USA shit. I have a ton of vintage Coleman too, going back to the 50's. Sadly those times are past. These days it's junk and plastic baby toys at the sales and people think their crap should sell at new prices. I haven't been to a sale in years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good for you, but I am not at the point in my like where I can spend my Saturday mornings yard sale shopping.

Lodge is currently employing Americans making cast iron. Griswold nor Wagner are currently doing that.

I found this stuff years ago when I was in my late 30's. I live in well known area for quality garage sales and they only happen on certain weekends. At that time, the oldsters were aging out and getting rid of quality made in the USA shit. I have a ton of vintage Coleman too, going back to the 50's. Sadly those times are past. These days it's junk and plastic baby toys at the sales and people think their crap should sell at new prices. I haven't been to a sale in years.

My local Craigslist is full of old cast iron cookware. A few of them are advertising for their store.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Actually they are made in marylands eastern shore.   I’m very impressed with the machined finish on all surfaces.

Could give my Smithey a run for the money
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Waite for it, where is it made?
Could it be China?

Actually they are made in marylands eastern shore.   I’m very impressed with the machined finish on all surfaces.

Could give my Smithey a run for the money

Butter pat doesn't machine their pans. That's part of the reason they're so expensive. They're cast that smooth.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:53:54 PM EDT
[#12]
$400 though. An evicted tenant left me a Wagner. I thought, "I should give this back to his mom" then I thought, "naw, man".
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good for you, but I am not at the point in my like where I can spend my Saturday mornings yard sale shopping.

Lodge is currently employing Americans making cast iron. Griswold nor Wagner are currently doing that.

My apologies for sounding like a bitch earlier.

Great score on the cast iron. I just see what the ebay prices are for Griswold and some of the classic, out of business cast iron pieces and cannot justify Griswold. I also like supporting American manufacturing jobs. Sadly, buying a Griswold doesn't do that.

How do you feel about Birmingham Stove & Range stuff?
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:00:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You know what the difference is between that 100 year old stuff and the "crap rough lodge" stuff you gave away?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And at least a pound of weight for a #8 skillet.

Yeah I know all Lodge owners are big burley muscle bound Arnold types and don't even notice the weight difference. Yet weight is the reason cast iron all but disappeared for several generations and was replaced with light weight aluminum.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#16]
My $20 lodge does the same thing.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Are people really that stupid?
View Quote

80% of GD has already ordered one.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:07:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Made in China?
View Quote

It's a Butter Pat pan. Made in Maryland I think.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:10:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Hell, you can get a Staub or Le Creuset enameled piece for 1/3 the price of that.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:11:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. I seasoned those pans at least a half dozen times. The surfaces are rough, period. They need to be machined, or sanded down with a flap wheel to get smooth enough to even come close to comparing to the older stuff.

Season it all you want, it will be well-seasoned but still rough. I prefer my cast iron to be glass-smooth.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Butter Pat makes super nice stuff, we got their 10" skillet as a wedding gift, and their glass lids are pretty dope. But, if I were buying cast iron for myself, no way I'd shell out for Butter Pat when you can get other brands much more affordably.

Then, Yeti has the audacity to charge a $55 premium over Butter Pat's already extremely premium pricing? What a joke lol. Some Yeti products are worth the price premium over comparable products, but this case is just laughable. It's literally the same exact specifications as Butter Pat's own 12" skillet, with the Yeti logo being the only change. I could mayyyyybe see this premium if there was a more significant change in the design, but they literally only changed the logo in this instance, nothing else changed about the casting mold.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/241846/IMG_3567_png-2848891.JPG

I have a good amount of their stuff, and genuinely do like what they make. This is a bit special, though.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll stick with my malamute
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did the opposite.

I used to buy vintage pans at second hand stores and flea markets and flip them on Ebay.

While the vintage pans were nicer hands down, I would rather have the money, and since I didn't know the history of them I wasn't going to eat off of something that someone's great grandpappy might have used to heat up lead for his bullet caster back in 1928.

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Both my Lodge and Amazon Skillet perform identically well and cost less than $30 each. No thanks on the Yeti
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I think there is already a high-end cast iron skillet manufacturer. I think they are a lot cheaper and have a proven product
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I’ve cooked a lot of really great meals on my two Tramontina cast iron skillets I bought as a set at Costco for about $30 total. If you want some slightly nicer ones then you could buy Lodge for double that price. Anyone who spends $400 on a cast iron skillet is a fool.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Great score on the cast iron. I just see what the ebay prices are for Griswold and some of the classic, out of business cast iron pieces and cannot justify Griswold. I also like supporting American manufacturing jobs. Sadly, buying a Griswold doesn't do that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know your post was directed at Milehi22 but I have been collecting cast iron for about the last 10 years so I have a somewhat informed opinion on the matter.

There's not a damn thing wrong with Cooking on a modern Lodge.  Just like there's nothing wrong with fixing your car with Pittsburg wrenches.  But it's just nice to work with higher quality tools.  (Yes I know Lodge is domestically produced and Pittsburg isn't but the quality gap to the next step up is near the same)  Pans are tools and just like with wrenches the higher quality ones are made with a better grade steel or iron or alloy. They are made with a better finish and are usually lighter and yet are just as strong and capable.

If you have a Goodwill or Value Village or whatever your local version of a thrift store is in your town stop in for a few minutes when you drive by it on your way to the grocery store. I hit the local thrift store about once a week for a 10-15 minute stroll and I have a pile of cast iron cookware I've brought home from there. The Eerie pan I posted a picture of on the previous page came from a Value Village for about 15 bucks. It would easily go for over a hundred online.  

BSR pans are great stuff.  However they are heavy like Lodge. Unlike modern Lodge they have either a smooth or a spiral cut cooking surface that's pretty nice.  Heavy isn't all bad.  It spreads heat evenly without hotspots that thinner pans can get. I have a #10 BSR skillet that has become my girlfriend's favorite chicken fryer despite the fact that she can barely lift the damn thing.

I get supporting American companies.  I do the same with a lot of the products I buy.  But I see old American made cast iron as a bit of Americana.  I enjoy bringing an old rusty carbon coated pan back to like new condition the same way a different guy might like stripping down and repainting an old Radio Flyer wagon.  It's a cool feeling to bake a blackberry cobbler and take it over to my 83 year old dads house in a skillet that's older than he is.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#29]
For that price it better come with 2 stickers I can put on the back window of my brodozer
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
For that price it better come with 2 stickers I can put on the back window of my brodozer
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I did the opposite.

I used to buy vintage pans at second hand stores and flea markets and flip them on Ebay.

While the vintage pans were nicer hands down, I would rather have the money, and since I didn't know the history of them I wasn't going to eat off of something that someone's great grandpappy might have used to heat up lead for his bullet caster back in 1928.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqgse34VDps
View Quote

It's not hard to test for lead

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:41:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Old Griswold or Wagner (etc) = better than Lodge (and I own both).
View Quote

I have mostly Wagner skillets because I like the handles.  My older ones came with adequate cooking surfaces.  Later production ones required some sanding.

I do like my Lodge Dutch oven, corn bread pan, etc. and my wife's hideously expensive Staub stuff.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#33]
But Is it bear proof?
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#34]
You can buy Le Creuset cheaper than that. Fuck that.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
But Is it bear proof?
View Quote

It should be Crocodile proof...

Australian Lodge Owner Smacks Charging Crocodile with Frying Pan

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 4:59:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I also enjoy supporting anti-gun companies.  
View Quote
I'm not disagreeing with you, but isn't that pretty much every company? Even some of the gun companies seem to be anti-gun these days.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Order placed
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Butterfat price range, will buy butterfat before Yeti shit
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Butter Pat skillets are the shit. I like my Smithey as well, but I prefer the butter pat...

Now for plain old cook ware, I have the Demeyere Atlantis set. Baking is on Caraway, Le Creuset, or Staub. I've legitimately spent well over $5k on my cooking shtuff
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I love shit like this, because it levels the playing field.  Rich people spend 8x as much for the same thing, and my eggs and bacon taste just as good cooked in Lodge cast iron.
View Quote

I bet the median income of people who buy this is much lower than the median income of people who buy Le Creuset.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yeti does make decent stuff. I picked up one of their coolers on sale from Dick's for our camping trip to Disney's Fort Wilderness earlier this year and it held ice for our entire weeklong trip.  Looking forward to using it tailgating when the Jaguar games start back up.
View Quote

Orlando doesn't have ice?
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yeti does make decent stuff. I picked up one of their coolers on sale from Dick's for our camping trip to Disney's Fort Wilderness earlier this year and it held ice for our entire weeklong trip.  Looking forward to using it tailgating when the Jaguar games start back up.
View Quote

Very subtle, sir.

Nicely done.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/241846/IMG_3567_png-2848891.JPG

I have a good amount of their stuff, and genuinely do like what they make. This is a bit special, though.
View Quote

LMFAO
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I have a pile of lodge, it's fine.

If it's that much of a deal to people, they can buy a lodge, a da sander, and sandpaper, and still have 300 left over for beer for the price of a yetipans.
View Quote

I'm guessing that the Yeti pan may be machined smooth on the cooking surface?? From what I could see it looks nicely made..Lodge could set up a machine and smooth out the pans and charge a few more dollars.

I bought a square Lodge frying pan from Rural King.. I used my mouse sander and some 60 and 80 grit sand paper to smooth cooking surface..got it fairly smooth. Using my oven at 450 degrees and some Avocado oil I seasoned it along with a round 12 inch lodge and 15 inch Amazon cast iron skillet..did 6 rounds of seasoning. The 12 inch pan has been my main pan for cooking the last 4 months.. I clean it with very hot water and a "Scrub Daddy" pad..dry it on stove top and wipe a thin coat of avocado over the inside of pan. My wife thinks the food tastes better off of the cast Iron ...I know it does. I found that the The 15 inch pan is too big for the 2 of us.. only used the 10 square pan twice so far, the 12 inch is the perfect one for us.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Whoever dreamed this up at Yeti is a genius.  I'm happy with my 12 year old (unsanded) Lodge but good for them.  Making money off people who must have that brand in their kitchen.  Win/Win.  

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#47]
While I was looking for a cheaper online price for the Yeti, I ran across this.

https://fieldcompany.com/products/field-cast-iron-skillet

It looks somewhat comparable to the Yeti at half the price.  Anyone have experience with this brand?
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Whoever dreamed this up at Yeti is a genius.  I'm happy with my 12 year old (unsanded) Lodge but good for them.  Making money off people who must have that brand in their kitchen.  Win/Win.  

View Quote

I have thought more than once of running a welding bead in the visage of Jesus onto a cast iron skillet, and hawking the resulting "miracle" grilled cheese sandwiches on Ebay.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Looks like it's a "Butter pat" brand with a Yeti stamp
View Quote
I agree, looks interchangeable.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top