Made in China?

M
Actually, no. It appears that they’re being made by Butter Pat Industries:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/241846/IMG_3568_png-2848902.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/241846/IMG_3569_png-2848903.JPG

$345, much more reasonable.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 6:10:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a few Yeti NRA marked coolers which I received prior to them hating guns.  No post-NRA Yeti's for me.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are people really that stupid?
View Quote

The answer to that question is always yes.  Context doesn't matter,
yes is always the answer.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 6:12:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/241846/IMG_3567_png-2848891.JPG

I have a good amount of their stuff, and genuinely do like what they make. This is a bit special, though.
View Quote

You ain't kidding

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#6]
WTF?! I have x2 Yeti tumblers for water and it works great, but at $400 for a cast iron I wouldn't even bother.
Actually, the tumbler is the only Yeti product I have.
My Lodge cast irons work great!
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah it's hilarious but this place is exactly the target market.  We love lifestyle brands, look how many of us were crazy about a brand of coffee cause it had a picture of a gun on it.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
While I was looking for a cheaper online price for the Yeti, I ran across this.

https://fieldcompany.com/products/field-cast-iron-skillet

It looks somewhat comparable to the Yeti at half the price.  Anyone have experience with this brand?
View Quote

I've had one for several years.  It was another thrift store find.  The seasoning was toast and it had a small amount surface rust. After tax I was out the door with it for under $15. The Field brand hadn't been out for long so my best guess is it was a gift for someone who didn't understand cast iron so one try at cooking and off to the donation pile.  After stripping it down and reseasoning, it is now my most used pan.  It's about a pound lighter than a similar sized modern Lodge. The cooking surface has little tiny spiral micro ridges that make a satisfying zip sound under a turner.  The handle is longer than a Lodge or most vintage and has a groove on the underside for air flow.  That means it stays cooler and you can hold it farther from the actual hot surface.  I can cook eggs on low without needing a mitt or a potholder.  It has a curled edge instead of pour spouts.  Without pour spouts a 10 inch Pyrex lid seals mine nicely. The lid was a $3 pick up at the same thrift store.

I like it quite a lot and would consider paying the price for a new one were I to be buying it as a gift for someone getting into cast iron cookware. After my thrift store score I looked Field Co up online to see what they go for and then signed up for their newsletter.  They do go on sale once in a while. The last sale was for the cast iron lid to my pan but I'm happy with the Pyrex lid I have.

Field Co isn't the only modern American made cast iron in that price range. In the higher than standard Lodge cast iron world your options are the following.

A variety of Asian imports such as Pioneer Woman, Emil, Benjamin Medwin, or Cabela's house brand.  I don't recommend any of those. Stick with American or French made.

Next level would be Blacklock.  It's Lodge's premium brand. They sell in the $60 range for a #8 skillet It's lighter weight than standard Lodge and has a much improved handle.  It's main drawback is that it has the same raised pebble rough surface of the standard Lodge. If you're a guy who's willing to hit it with a sander its the cheapest way to a new cast iron pan that's lightweight with a smooth cooking surface.

In the $100-200 range for a #8 skillet there is Field, Smithy, Finex and Stargazer.  Each of them have design elements unique to them so read up and take your pick. After my Field pick up I thought real hard about buying a new Stargazer to have a side by side comparison.  I really like it's handle design.  In my reading I noticed many purchasers of Stargazers complained they could never get a truly nonstick surface to form. Made me shy away from it.

Then there's the real high end of the group with Butter Pat and the French import Le Creuset.  New prices are way to expensive for me but I do have a couple enameled Le Creuset pans I have scored used.  I use them when cooking anything tomato based.

I'm sure I missed a brand or two but that's what I'm aware of.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, yes they are.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#10]
400 dollars??????
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#11]
This isn't going to disrupt manufacture of their $50 koozie is it?
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 6:49:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Absolutely.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Yeti has proven over.  And over.  And over again.  That people are that stupid.

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes

Marketing works.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Cast iron is all about the time put into their use. My wife’s grandma’s Birmingham Stove and Range chicken fryer puts most of everything else we have to shame and we have a bunch. We have Stargazer, Blacklock, Smithey, Finex, Lodge, Wagner, Griswold and others. Those that get the most use do the best.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Cast iron is all about the time put into their use. My wife's grandma's Birmingham Stove and Range chicken fryer puts most of everything else we have to shame and we have a bunch. We have Stargazer, Blacklock, Smithey, Finex, Lodge, Wagner, Griswold and others. Those that get the most use do the best.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I would not trade my O’Brien & O’Brien flea market find $2 cast iron skillet for that.   Over 100 years old.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 7:15:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Is it dishwasher safe?
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Coupon code?
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Insulting.

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 7:41:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't remember Pet Rocks? $400 Beanie Babies? $400 Yeti coolers?
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#22]
$400 will buy a lot of yard sale skillets.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I got a decent size yeti cooler for a wedding gift.  It is so god damn heavy, I hardly use it.  I end up using the same size Walmart cheap cooler vs the yeti.  The yeti does hold ice and keep cool for a very long time.  I used it more when I lived in Florida and fished offshore.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 10:31:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The thing is, the Lodge pan you get for $40 at Walmart isn’t very good. It’s very crude with rough surfaces that aren’t finished well.

I prefer to find older stuff from companies like Griswold, Wagner, or BSR, and it’s not that hard to come by.

If we’re going to compare new vs new, a Stargazer pan can be had for $115, and those look pretty nice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can almost understand their coolers and cups because they do keep stuff colder, longer (Not long enough for me to buy, but my favorite drinking cup is a Yeti that was a gift, and that thing will still have ice in it after 24 hours....).but it's a cast Iron pan.  $40 at Walmart.

The thing is, the Lodge pan you get for $40 at Walmart isn’t very good. It’s very crude with rough surfaces that aren’t finished well.

I prefer to find older stuff from companies like Griswold, Wagner, or BSR, and it’s not that hard to come by.

If we’re going to compare new vs new, a Stargazer pan can be had for $115, and those look pretty nice.

One piece of wet or dry sandpaper with the Lodge in the sink with a trickle of water running for three or four minutes and it's a slick as you want it to be.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 10:34:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's easy to polish it unevenly too, creating hot spots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's easy enough to polish the cooking surface of a Lodge if it's that big of a deal.

It's easy to polish it unevenly too, creating hot spots.

If you can hand sand a piece of cast iron cookware thinner in spots you're a better man than I am. Even with an electric sander I doubt it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 10:38:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/241846/IMG_3567_png-2848891.JPG

I have a good amount of their stuff, and genuinely do like what they make. This is a bit special, though.
View Quote
Not paying that
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 10:40:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If I brought that home, my wife would beat me to death with it for wasting that kinda $.  And, rightly so.
View Quote

Mine too.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 10:47:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yeah it's hilarious but this place is exactly the target market.  We love lifestyle brands, look how many of us were crazy about a brand of coffee cause it had a picture of a gun on it.  
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 10:55:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yeti does make decent stuff. I picked up one of their coolers on sale from Dick's for our camping trip to Disney's Fort Wilderness earlier this year and it held ice for our entire weeklong trip.  Looking forward to using it tailgating when the Jaguar games start back up.
View Quote

I just went on a weekend camping trip. My 15 year old Coleman extreme that I probably paid $35 for held ice all weekend.

And it was way lighter to lug around.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 11:41:34 PM EDT
[#31]
I’m visually not a fan of the rebranded Butterpat skillet and the price is laughable, but I do enjoy my Yeti coffee ramblers. I prefer my Pelican coolers to the ball gag latch that Yeti uses and I’ve got a small pile of RTIC from the lawsuit sale.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 11:47:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Made in China?
View Quote

If that's the case you're getting a piece of history because its made out of the HMS Prince Of Wales...
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 11:58:16 PM EDT
[#33]
The $40 bucket is pretty awesome. I have a few and they are amazing for what they are. Sorry. Your shit homer $5 special or used thin old frosting bucket from the bakery is still a shitty bucket.

The $400 pan is beyond retarded.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 12:05:51 AM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/171820/Screenshot_2023-06-12_at_1_01_07_PM_png-2848896.JPG

$40 for a Homer bucket.

@squatch

soooooo

here's the thing.

on my boat I have Marine Mat which is a foam and fiber reinforced non skid decking material. It was about $3000 to do the boat if I remember right. all laser measured and cnc cut etc.

The problem with a regular bucket is that the bottom has that lip which is sharp and will cut my marine mat and leave a giant circle. So somthing like the yeti has a large footprint and doesn't do that. Now yes they make bottom pieces that you can put on regular buckets, but they don't work as well and then now you have a wider bucket at the bottom.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 12:34:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes
And they vote.

I watched a row of smooth brains asking for price on a single cast iron skillet in a stack.  It was a swap meet.  At least two of these were in my group.

I made an offer on the stack and bought them all.  I didn't need any of them.

Not a single piece of chinesium here:

Link Posted: 6/13/2023 7:47:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm not disagreeing with you, but isn't that pretty much every company? Even some of the gun companies seem to be anti-gun these days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I also enjoy supporting anti-gun companies.  
I'm not disagreeing with you, but isn't that pretty much every company? Even some of the gun companies seem to be anti-gun these days.

Yeti is not anti gun. The NRA was the asshole in that conflict, pissy because they weren't getting free stuff.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 8:05:36 AM EDT
[#37]

Attachment Attached File

Get this to go with it!

Red
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 8:07:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.

Yeti is proof that there are people with more dollars than sense.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 8:12:49 AM EDT
[#39]
You're paying for the brand, not the product. Yeti is the Supreme of outdoor gear.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 8:26:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yeti does make decent stuff. I picked up one of their coolers on sale from Dick's for our camping trip to Disney's Fort Wilderness earlier this year and it held ice for our entire weeklong trip.  Looking forward to using it tailgating when the Jaguar games start back up.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 8:36:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I also enjoy supporting anti-gun companies.  

No, it's not every company.  I certainly don't want to do business with an openly anti-gun company.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#42]
If it comes with a decal for the truck, I'm in for one.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 9:29:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Yeti is the Gucci of rednecks
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You know what the difference is between that 100 year old stuff and the "crap rough lodge" stuff you gave away?

About 50 cents worth of vegetable oil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The pic looks awesome, but GTFO with the price tag.

Lodge is a pile of rough-surface shit.

You're better off getting a $10 flea market pan that's 100 years old with a glass-smooth surface.

I bought a whole set of Lodge, but then got a couple old pans from my grandmother when she passed. I gave away most of my Lodge stuff.

You know what the difference is between that 100 year old stuff and the "crap rough lodge" stuff you gave away?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/13/2023 9:31:14 AM EDT
[#45]
I need to hire their marketing department
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 9:31:52 AM EDT
[#46]
$400 for a cast iron pan? No thanks.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you really have to ask?
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 9:43:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I agree with the others about Lodge, cheap at Walmart and made in the USA.  Have also picked up a few items at Goodwill and yard sales for cheap.
Even if I were filthy rich, I wouldn't pay $400 for a cast iron skillet.
View Quote

Filthy rich people don't spend $400 for a cast iron skillet. Broke dicks $450 short of maxing out their credit card do though.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 9:57:12 AM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The pic looks awesome, but GTFO with the price tag.

Lodge is a pile of rough-surface shit.

You're better off getting a $10 flea market pan that's 100 years old with a glass-smooth surface.

I bought a whole set of Lodge, but then got a couple old pans from my grandmother when she passed. I gave away most of my Lodge stuff.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/hes_right_you_know-328.jpg

No, actually he isn't right.   Antique cast iron is much thinner than the stuff that Lodge puts out and as such is much lighter, easier to handle and heats up more quickly.  In fact, the really old gate-marked cast iron cookware is incredibly thin.  All of those things make it much more enjoyable to use on a regular basis.

My antique Griswold and Wagner dutch ovens, chicken fryers and skillets probably weight 30% less than a comparably sized new Lodge.

That Yeti looks to me from the wall thickness like it doesn't have any of those advantages despite the enormous price tag.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#50]
I bet people here with Yeti stickers on their truck will buy it and post on Reddit.
Page / 6
Top Top