Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 4:25:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Amos is more of a crew chief/section head than a second in command in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 4:42:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I refuse to be a starship captain until they stop blowing up.  Git to work Elon!
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 6:25:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Amos all the way.

Good with his hands, knows how to keep people alive/ships running, is loyal like a shelter-rescue, street-smart enough to avoid obvious bait in a trap, and won't go running off on his own to talk to an alien probe/satellite hybrid.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 6:40:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Jaynes loyal, mostly when he’s getting paid. Plus he’s got a song.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 7:14:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Only TOS and later the prequel Enterprise series felt the need to co-mingle the Science Officer and XO roles.

If we're in space I want my science officer doing science officer stuff

I want my XO to be doing XO stuff
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 7:35:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spock is still regrowing from the genesis project.  I choose Savick
View Quote

First Savick, yes.  Second one...  Kaylee how much is that guy paying you?
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 7:42:40 AM EDT
[#7]

You mean Empress Sato and she will kill you in your sleep.

Link Posted: 3/28/2021 7:52:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I picked Spock since he actually know shit, and I don't. Call it the Kirk syndrome...

Amos is definitely head of my red shirts though, not leaving any more of those poor bastards dead on some alien world.
View Quote

And they don’t portray it that much on the TV show but Amos is more than just a murder machine. He’s a highly skilled engineer.

He’s not dumb. And sure he has no moral compass but he’s self aware enough to realize it - which is why he follows Holden, cos Holden is the most moralistic person he knows. (Mentioned in the book text somewhat)

All of that being said... chewie probably Chewbacca. Jayne and Amos are fun but they need mentorship in order for them to function like people.

And sure Spock ain’t gonna try to steal the ship. But if you need to get dirty, chewie won’t turn his nose up at it.

And for off-list suggestions...  yeah Zoe. She’s brains and brawn.

... And she’s in Wash’s bed.  Sorry I ain’t breaking them up. Not for all the goose-juggling in the world.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 7:57:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Out of your list OP there is only one who is know to pull the arms off of someone if they loose. That was who I chose as my number 2.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 8:02:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How in the Blue Jimmy Damn is Spock ahead of Burton???!!?
View Quote

He can charm a Romulan bitch, lose his mind, lose his brain, die of radiation poisoning and be resurrected, and mind meld with Medusa and a whale.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 8:06:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Worf.....Every day would be a good day to die!

Link Posted: 3/28/2021 8:08:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 8:09:46 AM EDT
[#14]
7 of nine
Tpol
Both at the same time
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 8:14:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Saffron.

I’m given to understand there’s limited storage space for personal items, and this way, I could just bring my blankie and leave my pillow at home.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Lacey Chabert
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2021 8:26:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I voted for Amos, but if we can pull from any scifi show I would pick Aeryn Sun.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2021 8:46:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 8:46:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Of the choices, I picked Jayne. Good in a fight, and largely respectful of direct authority and orders given- the only hard part would be keeping his loyalty bought.

A lot of other great options in the thread too, particularly Worf.

While not big on “new” Star Wars, the first alternative that came to my mind was K-2SO. Some would say he’s also the best pilot in ‘Verse.

K2SO Best scenes: Star Wars Rogue One

Edited to clarify- I think Rogue One was a fantastic movie. Unlike just about everything else since Disney took over.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#20]
I choose to become a highwayman again...
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 8:52:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Spock could kick Jane's or Amos' ass, besides having the biggest brain. Chewie doesn't speak English, and the Captain shouldn't have to learn a new language to accommodate a new crew member.

No brainer.  Spock.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 8:56:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Spock could kick Jane's or Amos' ass, besides having the biggest brain. Chewie doesn't speak English, and the Captain shouldn't have to learn a new language to accommodate a new crew member.

No brainer.  Spock.
View Quote

He knows English, because other people can talk to him.  Presumably his vocal cords or whatever don't permit him to make the right sounds.   But yeah, you'd have to learn to understand him.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 8:57:34 AM EDT
[#23]
You don't want a psychopath as your #2, you want him as your mechanic and muscle just like in the Expanse. He's a cool character but you'd end with dead crew and a #2 that cared as much about that as having a hangnail so long as they weren't his close friends.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 8:58:11 AM EDT
[#24]
I don’t know who half those people are so I will go with Kif.  Or Jack Burton and John Amos if I have to pick from the list.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 8:59:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Burton would kill me, Cobb would betray, Chewie is clearly an idiot brute. Spock is definitely the one.
View Quote

right train of thought, but wrong Vulcan ...

Space is a LOT of long distance traveling, so on those cold nights in the void, nice to have something warm to tuck in with...
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:00:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I picked Spock since he actually know shit, and I don't. Call it the Kirk syndrome...

Amos is definitely head of my red shirts though, not leaving any more of those poor bastards dead on some alien world.
View Quote

I picked Amos, but I think this is a better answer.  Amos will get it done.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:09:45 AM EDT
[#27]
get both.

and the firefly girls.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:10:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

right train of thought, but wrong Vulcan ...

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0VuZmSejUPs/VJGqegx5qwI/AAAAAAAAxXA/dCVI9syx8vQ/s1600/t-pol-93018900569.jpeg

Space is a LOT of long distance traveling, so on those cold nights in the void, nice to have something warm to tuck in with...
View Quote

I now officially switch my vote!!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:13:47 AM EDT
[#29]
I based my answer off the thread title and not the poll choices.  For that reason, Spock is out.  The obvious choice is Burton.  Jane will sell you out to the Feds and is too stupid to realize that even when you're selling your buddies out to the Feds, you still get pinched yourself.

Burton is ultimately loyal.  All you have to do is prove you deserve his loyalty.  He's smart, he's fearless, and he's ruthless when it comes to achieving his objectives.  It's a no-brainer.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:15:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Surprised how many people here refer to Chewbacca as 'he'.  Chewbacca is female.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:18:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Spock .

Or Topol

Maybe Chewie
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:19:17 AM EDT
[#32]
She's gotta have a body, be handy with a gun and be a fan of naked beaches. I pick Zoe.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:25:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Jaynes loyal, mostly when he's getting paid. Plus he's got a song.
View Quote
and a hat.

@03RN
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:26:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
She's gotta have a body, be handy with a gun and be a fan of naked beaches. I pick Zoe.
View Quote
thousands of my unborn future journeyman lineman in the union have died because of zoe.

you ever been with a warrior woman?

Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Saffron
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Saffron
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:55:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
and a hat.

@03RN
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
and a hat.

@03RN

Man walks down the street in that hat, you know he’s not afraid of anything.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:56:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
and a hat.

@03RN
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
and a hat.

@03RN

Yes
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Man walks down the street in that hat, you know he's not afraid of anything.
View Quote
goddamn right.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:00:30 AM EDT
[#40]
gunner!  aim for the engine only.

you idiot! I said aim for the engine only!

lucky shot sir!
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I voted Spock on the assumption it was for a large Starship where I, as the Captain, am responsible for the lives of a lot of crew.  I would want the most dispassionate, coldly logical, strategically thinking sounding board as my 2IC.  In the event I am incapacitated or killed, I could trust him to quickly and accurately evaluate the odds of completing our mission, and weigh that against the lives of the crew and the importance of the mission.

If it's more of a Millennium Falcon thing, just me and my 2IC and maybe one or two others, then Amos.  He's loyal, in a way, won't hesitate to kill anyone that needs killing, has the sort of street savvy that could keep me and the crew alive in strange and foreign ports, has mechanical skills to keep the ship running.
View Quote

I can see that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I got your back but I think we're heavily outnumbered.
View Quote

Right on.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

He can charm a Romulan bitch, lose his mind, lose his brain, die of radiation poisoning and be resurrected, and mind meld with Medusa and a whale.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How in the Blue Jimmy Damn is Spock ahead of Burton???!!?

Good point
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I based my answer off the thread title and not the poll choices.  For that reason, Spock is out.  The obvious choice is Burton.  Jane will sell you out to the Feds and is too stupid to realize that even when you're selling your buddies out to the Feds, you still get pinched yourself.

Burton is ultimately loyal.  All you have to do is prove you deserve his loyalty.  He's smart, he's fearless, and he's ruthless when it comes to achieving his objectives.  It's a no-brainer.
View Quote

My man!!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#45]
T'Pol is the only answer
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Anybody except Admiral Purple Hair.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Spock isn't going to wrench on your ship while you go cruising cantinas for space babes.
View Quote

Spock essentially did do that, actually.  I can think of at least one episode where Spock basically told Kirk to hang out in paradise for a few days, screw whoever he wanted, and that Spock would run the ship.  “Shore Leave”, I think that episode was called.  

Spock was a pretty awesome wingman
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 11:20:42 AM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Worf gets DENIED again and again on Star Trek TNG.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 11:24:15 AM EDT
[#49]
If you just want some fun on a long voyage, the mirror universe has lots of options.

Mirror Ezri:

Attachment Attached File

And for a pillow, Ezri brings along her wife, mirror Leeta:

Attachment Attached File

And let's not forget mirror Nerys who definitely bats for both teams:

Attachment Attached File

Mirror Nerys isn't nearly as stuck up and whiny as regular Nerys.  Regular Nerys would get airlocked in short order.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 11:37:55 AM EDT
[#50]
I love Chewbacca, but had to pick Spock.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top