Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

why....looking for a "safe space?"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought we had  dedicated forum for the sort of thing?

Safe from what?

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any actual physical evidence?

No.  And there won't be, until it happens.  And in that moment you will understand that what kept you from belief was a flaw, and not a strength, a willful flaw inside of yourself.

Don't listen to him. If we were supposed to believe, we would.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:42:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Faith is antithetical to evidence/"proof". Christians make a virtue of believing things without good evidence, because they don't have good evidence. They desperately want it though, and will dump faith in a second if they had good evidence (see them posting Christian near-death experiences, etc.). They know deep down that faith is a bad way to get to truth, they would throw faith out as a way to get to truth if they had good evidence (which they don't).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm open to Religion but I just don't see how these folks say this and then offer up no proof.

Faith is antithetical to evidence/"proof". Christians make a virtue of believing things without good evidence, because they don't have good evidence. They desperately want it though, and will dump faith in a second if they had good evidence (see them posting Christian near-death experiences, etc.). They know deep down that faith is a bad way to get to truth, they would throw faith out as a way to get to truth if they had good evidence (which they don't).

Hebrews 11:1 'Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.'  To say what you're saying is a straw-man misinterpretation of what is actually written. Faith is evidence of God gained by non-empirical means, i.e. through means other than the 5 senses. Without this evidence you would not have billions of believers. You do not believe because you have not yet gained this evidence, or it was given to you, but you either did not recognize it or did not accept it. Your statements about faith are entirely false and show no understanding of spiritual things.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

No.  And there won't be, until it happens.  And in that moment you will understand that what kept you from belief was a flaw, and not a strength, a willful flaw inside of yourself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any actual physical evidence?

You're going to feel silly when you die and stand before Odin for final judgement.

It's just as likely.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In before the usual crowd..."just wanting to debate"
View Quote

There's a religion forum if you'd prefer an echo chamber.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Faith is evidence of God gained by non-empirical means, i.e. through means other than the 5 senses. Without this evidence you would not have billions of believers.
View Quote

By that rationale, then every god people have ever had faith in must be real...
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:15:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I asked for a sign once and I got it in an overwhelming abundance to remove all doubt.
But, the experience could easily be dismissed by non-believers as coincidence.  
No, I'm not giving details.  Go find it on your own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So he asked for evidence of existence and he got it? Wish God always made it that easy. Who needs faith?

I asked for a sign once and I got it in an overwhelming abundance to remove all doubt.
But, the experience could easily be dismissed by non-believers as coincidence.  
No, I'm not giving details.  Go find it on your own.

In other words, you have no evidence.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Faith is evidence of God gained by non-empirical means, i.e. through means other than the 5 senses. Without this evidence you would not have billions of believers.

When any soul exerts themselves heavenward humbly yearning and seeking to know that there is a supreme being, God may bless them with spiritual evidence to know that He is. The details of precisely who He is in that trascendent moment is not consequential or necessary to the seeker in that moment. For all intents and purposes in that seeking, in that moment of 'God do you exist' Odin, Allah, and the God of Abraham are one. Knowing He exists is the genesis of spiritual knowledge. What comes after that is hotly disputed.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:21:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Those of you who claim you do not believe are denying the truth and lying to yourselves.

Search your heart, read the bible everything he said in the video can be found within it. Jesus is the only person who ever died and came back to life. He lived a sinless life and died for us, so that you may live, if you only believe in HIM!

Before Jesus returns the world will know who he is and everyone has a choice to make. If you go to hell it was your by choice.

Chose wisely, accept the sacrifice Jesus made for you, repent and turn from your sin.

If I am wrong in what I believe I loose nothing. If a non believer is wrong in what they believe they will loose everything.

Our Father in heaven is a loving God and he leaves it up to us to love him or not. Our actions demonstrate weather we choose to love and honor God or not.

Again, repent, turn from sin, thank Jesus for what he did for you and live a life that honors God.

View Quote

Up above you said:

"Jesus is the only person who ever died and came back to life."

However, there are a couple of Bible verses that seem to contradict this.

Remember Lazarus? John 11:38-44

Also, Matthew 27:52 (NASB):

"The tombs were opened, and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised;"
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:33:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Up above you said:

"The tombs were opened, and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised;"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those of you who claim you do not believe are denying the truth and lying to yourselves.

Search your heart, read the bible everything he said in the video can be found within it. Jesus is the only person who ever died and came back to life. He lived a sinless life and died for us, so that you may live, if you only believe in HIM!

Before Jesus returns the world will know who he is and everyone has a choice to make. If you go to hell it was your by choice.

Chose wisely, accept the sacrifice Jesus made for you, repent and turn from your sin.

If I am wrong in what I believe I loose nothing. If a non believer is wrong in what they believe they will loose everything.

Our Father in heaven is a loving God and he leaves it up to us to love him or not. Our actions demonstrate weather we choose to love and honor God or not.

Again, repent, turn from sin, thank Jesus for what he did for you and live a life that honors God.

Up above you said:

That's pretty unfair of you to demand a Christian read his book.

Alternately:  "Those were just metaphors!"
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:45:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Safe from what?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Safe from what?

you tell me...you're the one pushing it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:46:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In before the usual crowd..."just wanting to debate"

You don't do sarcasm...do you?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:57:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:00:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

When any soul exerts themselves heavenward humbly yearning and seeking to know that there is a supreme being, God may bless them with spiritual evidence to know that He is. The details of precisely who He is in that trascendent moment is not consequential or necessary to the seeker in that moment. For all intents and purposes in that seeking, in that moment of 'God do you exist' Odin, Allah, and the God of Abraham are one. Knowing He exists is the genesis of spiritual knowledge. What comes after that is hotly disputed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Believing things without good evidence is not a good way to truth. It doesn't matter how much you want people to REALLY REALLY believe first/"exerts themselves heavenward humbly yearning and seeking" and then get "spiritual evidence". People can have deeply moving experiences/which can seem "miraculous" (I believe that), however the leap to what amounts to magic/the supernatural is flawed thinking. Our brains can have such deeply moving experiences/"miraculous" experiences under hypnosis/dancing/drugs/etc. I don't dispute that such deeply moving experiences occur, I'm questioning the leap to conclusions afterwards (like people who take LSD and believe in loving energy/chakra aliens afterwards instead of recognizing that their brain was just having a disco-party of neurons firing and it's not a good way to get to truth.) People's brains can trick them. You ever see an optical illusion?

How is not knowing which God is real not "consequential or necessary to the seeker in that moment"? Allah will burn you in hell for not following Mohammed, Jesus is the only way to heaven., etc.,etc.,etc. You can get hit by a bus and end up burning in hell forever because you chose the wrong God.

Hindus believe in multiple Gods, are those Gods all one or are they separate?

Do you think people can believe things that aren't true? Do you think that Hindus (and their belief in reincarnation) is right? How do you square that with your thinking heaven/hell is right?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:17:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Believing things without evidence is not a good way to truth. It doesn't matter how much you want people to REALLY REALLY believe first/"exerts themselves heavenward humbly yearning and seeking" and then get "spiritual evidence". People can have deeply moving experiences/which can seem "miraculous", the leap to what amounts to magic is flawed thinking. Our brains can have such deeply moving experiences under hypnosis/dancing/drugs/etc.

How is not knowing which God is real not "consequential or necessary to the seeker in that moment"? Allah will burn you in hell for not following Mohammed, Jesus is the only way to heaven., etc.,etc.,etc. You can get hit by a bus and end up burning in hell forever because you chose the wrong God.

Do you think people can believe things that aren't true? Do you think that Hindus (and their belief in reincarnation) is right? How do you square that with your thinking heaven/hell is right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Believing things without evidence is not a good way to truth. It doesn't matter how much you want people to REALLY REALLY believe first/"exerts themselves heavenward humbly yearning and seeking" and then get "spiritual evidence". People can have deeply moving experiences/which can seem "miraculous", the leap to what amounts to magic is flawed thinking. Our brains can have such deeply moving experiences under hypnosis/dancing/drugs/etc.

Blah blah blah. Stammer stammer stammer. Blah blah blah. faith faith faith. Jesus. Son. God. Sin. Sacrifice. Blah blah blah

Don't expect any rational thinking or arguements when it comes to the imaginary worship
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:55:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Believing things without good evidence is not a good way to truth. It doesn't matter how much you want people to REALLY REALLY believe first/"exerts themselves heavenward humbly yearning and seeking" and then get "spiritual evidence". People can have deeply moving experiences/which can seem "miraculous", the leap to what amounts to magic is flawed thinking. Our brains can have such deeply moving experiences under hypnosis/dancing/drugs/etc. I don't dispute that such deeply moving experiences occur, I'm questioning the leap to conclusions afterwards (like people who take LSD and believe in loving energy/charkra aliens afterwards, instead of recognizing that their brain was just having a disco-party of neurons firing and it's not a good way to get to truth.) People's brains can trick them. You ever see an optical illusion?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Believing things without good evidence is not a good way to truth. It doesn't matter how much you want people to REALLY REALLY believe first/"exerts themselves heavenward humbly yearning and seeking" and then get "spiritual evidence". People can have deeply moving experiences/which can seem "miraculous", the leap to what amounts to magic is flawed thinking. Our brains can have such deeply moving experiences under hypnosis/dancing/drugs/etc. I don't dispute that such deeply moving experiences occur, I'm questioning the leap to conclusions afterwards (like people who take LSD and believe in loving energy/charkra aliens afterwards, instead of recognizing that their brain was just having a disco-party of neurons firing and it's not a good way to get to truth.) People's brains can trick them. You ever see an optical illusion?

I do understand that what you're saying makes sense to you. It is your way of explaining the experiences people have. You're not the first to come up with the 'mass delusion' hypothesis. Many people do not have overwhelming first experiences with spiritual things. They are often much more subtle only giving enough to motivate you to confine to seek. When one thing happens you can, and many do, explain it away. Two things, explain it away, three, four, ten, twenty, hundreds, experiences every single day become foolishness to try and explain away. I could no more explain away or dismiss the experiences I've had with spiritual things than you could the existence of the things you see with your eyes. I've experienced them too many times. This is the evidence of things not seen.

You keep saying (incorrectly) that 'believing things without good evidence is not the way to truth.' I have excellent evidence. It is just not of an empirical nature. What is the way to truth?

Of course people can believe things that aren't true. You for example believe there is no God. I know that there is a God and that He loves His children. He wants to see His children learn to be more like He is. Most world religions teach their adherents good morals, whether they're fully aware of Gods laws or not.

It is inconsequential because you must first begin to believe that there is a supreme being before you can seek to know His attributes. The questions you ask are not the questions of a seeker of truth though. They're the questions of someone who wants to satisfy themselves that they already have the answers. Have you sought? Humbly? Have you studied and applied to your life the precepts of any religion? Any of them? Have you ever tried to become a desciple of something greater than yourself? Or are you greater than everything you come in contact with? Seek Him humbly my friend. You will find Him if you do.

ETA: You assume you understand my conception of Heaven and Hell and you don't. I believe all religions have elements of truth and some doctrines that are similar but have been misapplied or misunderstood over the centuries. The Hindu belief in reincarnation is at its most fundamental roots similar to the idea of being born again mentioned in the bible.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:14:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I do understand that what you're saying makes sense to you. It is your way of explaining the experiences people have. You're not the first to come up with the 'mass delusion' hypothesis. Many people do not have overwhelming first experiences with spiritual things. They are often much more subtle only giving enough to motivate you to confine to seek. When one thing happens you can, and many do, explain it away. Two things, explain it away, three, four, ten, twenty, hundreds, experiences every single day become foolishness to try and explain away. I could no more explain away or dismiss the experiences I've had with spiritual things than you could the existence of the things you see with your eyes. I've experienced them too many times. This is the evidence of things not seen.

You keep saying (incorrectly) that 'believing things without good evidence is not the way to truth.' I have excellent evidence. It is just not of an empirical nature. What is the way to truth?

Of course people can believe things that aren't true. You for example believe there is no God. I know that there is a God and that He loves His children. He wants to see His children learn to be more like He is. Most world religions teach their adherents good morals, whether they're fully aware of Gods laws or not.

It is inconsequential because you must first begin to believe that there is a supreme being before you can seek to know His attributes. The questions you ask are not the questions of a seeker of truth though. They're the questions of someone who wants to satisfy themselves that they already have the answers. Have you sought? Humbly? Have you studied and applied to your life the precepts of any religion? Any of them? Have you ever tried to become a desciple of something greater than yourself? Or are you greater than everything you come in contact with? Seek Him humbly my friend. You will find Him if you do.
View Quote

I think people really do have the moving experiences they claim (though I wouldn't agree with the conclusions they draw). I'm just saying it's not a good way to get to truth. A Hindu would see multiple Gods. A Muslim would see Allah. A Christian would see Yahweh. People (of various religions) have had a ton of "spiritual experiences" with mutually contradictory Gods. It matters immensely which one they worship/see at the moment (contrary to your earlier statement) or otherwise they could burn in hell forever/be severely punished. People's brains jump to conclusions, it's what it does. We've had previous Gods for thunder, tsunamis, the sun and the moon, etc.

If the evidence you have is the same kind of evidence that can "prove" a mutually contradictory God, it's not "excellent evidence".

This Allah god seems pretty pissed off all the time, I'm not sure if people would agree with the whole loving thing. Same with Yahweh watching child rape and doing nothing.

My claim is just that there is no good evidence to currently believe in any God, I'm not making any positive claim that "there is no God". One shouldn't believe in unicorns/leprechauns/a teapot in the Andromeda galaxy until there is good evidence for it. One may colloquially say that there aren't any real leprechauns/teapots floating in space (even if we haven't searched every corner of the universe for it).

One should FIRST get good evidence BEFORE they REALLY REALLY believe. You shouldn't jump to comfortable conclusions. You wouldn't say that people have to really really believe in spirit-leprechauns first, would you?

I'm a Secular-Humanist Agnostic-Atheist, I think mindfulness is pretty interesting. I don't claim to know all the answers. I've read the Bible (and researched other religions), I honestly got more out of Aesop's Fables (and other books [mindfulness, psychology, etc. related]).
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:28:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I think God grades on a curve-   Thanks to the Middle Ages and Drug Cartels I'm a solid C- person, which is passing,  so I'm solid.  That said I'll die with a sword in my hand, just to piss off a nurse one last time and make them have a dumb ass meeting about "respecting my religious beliefs" or some shit.  Worst case, my wife sues the hospital, that's kinda my life insurance policy.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:28:58 AM EDT
[#19]
It is pretty telling how few people stray from their parent's religion (or the dominant religion in their place of residence).
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:37:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Safe from what?

I'm not pushing anything.

I merely saying that I thought there was a religious forum for this type of thing.

I still don't understand your reference to a safe space.

Can you elaborate?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:40:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Hebrews 11:1 'Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.'  To say what you're saying is a straw-man misinterpretation of what is actually written. Faith is evidence of God gained by non-empirical means, i.e. through means other than the 5 senses. Without this evidence you would not have billions of believers. You do not believe because you have not yet gained this evidence, or it was given to you, but you either did not recognize it or did not accept it. Your statements about faith are entirely false and show no understanding of spiritual things.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm open to Religion but I just don't see how these folks say this and then offer up no proof.

Well that's just straight up false.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:51:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think God grades on a curve-   Thanks to the Middle Ages and Drug Cartels I'm a solid C- person, which is passing,  so I'm solid.  That said I'll die with a sword in my hand, just to piss off a nurse one last time and make them have a dumb ass meeting about "respecting my religious beliefs" or some shit.  Worst case, my wife sues the hospital, that's kinda my life insurance policy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:21:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Up above you said:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Up above you said:

Remember Lazarus? John 11:38-44  Do you not know who raised Lazarus and why Jesus waited to arrive at his side? You seem to know the story, why refuse the message?

FYI I do not have blind faith as there have been times in my life when I have felt Gods presents and have seen seemingly impossible odds overcome with his intervention!

I must get back to work, please search your heart.

A case for Christ

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:21:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It is pretty telling how few people stray from their parent's religion (or the dominant religion in their place of residence).
View Quote

what does it tell ?
how do you know that ?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If you have it in you to share, I would love to hear this story (in a Private message or an email if you choose).  Thank you in advance, and if you choose not to, that's okay too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Night Terrors

Thats what i kept trying to pass it off as but that was not it, it happened when i was awake too. It did attack me mostly in my sleep in the form of sleep paralysis but mine was not typical. It's a long story and not one i would have believed if i read it on the internet so im not going to bother but it did leave real life evidence and it was at that point i knew it was real. It predicted an event that happened before it happened (freaked me out because of the whole free will thing but thats another story all together). It pulled my blanket off one night and it did something else but im not going to talk about it because it was just a thing it did to make me realize i was on the right track.

I started looking into Near Death Experience accounts (the one that are not obvious BS) and it varies so much on what people experience. It didn't make sense as to why at the time but it now makes sense to me and it's just one of those you have to experience it to believe it things. But as for your relative friend who was a "good" person but died a non believer... I don't believe they are in an eternal hell they are probably just fine.

If you have it in you to share, I would love to hear this story (in a Private message or an email if you choose).  Thank you in advance, and if you choose not to, that's okay too.

This. I know I'm late to the game so it may already be posted.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I think people really do have the moving experiences they claim (though I wouldn't agree with the conclusions they draw). Conclusions drawn will have a great deal to do with the lens through which we see the world it's true, what is important is that God has given us a mechanism for finding truth if we continue to seek it. I'm just saying it's not a good way to get to truth. Once you understand the mechanism it is indeed the only way to find truth. A Hindu would see multiple Gods. A Muslim would see Allah. A Christian would see Yahweh. People (of various religions) have had a ton of "spiritual experiences" with mutually contradictory Gods. It matters immensely which one they worship/see at the moment (contrary to your earlier statement) or otherwise they could burn in hell forever/be severely punished. God is not the tyrant that some faith's make Him to be. He does not create His children simply to burn them in Hell when they've never had an opportunity to learn of Him and obey Him. However it is important to understand that He is a God of both Justice and mercy, one cannot rob the other. People's brains jump to conclusions, it's what it does. We've had previous Gods for thunder, tsunamis, the sun and the moon, etc.

If the evidence you have is the same kind of evidence that can "prove" a mutually contradictory God, it's not "excellent evidence". The 'kind' of evidence is not the primary identifying feature here. As when a soul searches for a supreme being that supreme being may respond. As I said that is the very beginning of spiritual knowledge. What a person does after that is often look to other's (religion's) experiences to continue to learn. All religions have elements of truth in them. Truth is confirmed in the hearts and minds of the humble seeker by the power of the Holy Ghost regardless of what religion they follow. Truth is Truth. The residue of false traditions can rightly be ascribed to the truth of men, sometimes well meaning sometimes not, being mixed in.

This Allah god seems pretty pissed off all the time, I'm not sure if people would agree with the whole loving thing. Same with Yahweh watching child rape and doing nothing.This will be very difficult for you to accept because you do not yet understand the nature and purposes of God. Do not be offended when I suggest that you cannot understand Algebra without understanding how to add, subtract, divide, and multiply. God desires His children to be like Him. We cannot be like Him without being free to make choices. We cannot choose unless there are both good things and bad things to choose. As heinous a thing as child rape is, (I have children myself and could not imagine the murderous rage I would be in were someone to hurt my children, God can heal those wounded children, whether in this life or the next. Very often the offender was themselves abused as a child. Only God can judge us in the context of the cards we've been dealt in life. Part of the process of gaining spiritual knowledge is learning to trust in God. It is difficult for me to imagine that the pain and suffering endured on this Earth could be worth the plan to put us here, but I trust God that it is.

My claim is just that there is no good evidence to currently believe in any God,I would submit to you that you've either not experienced or not recognized the evidence that is available to you. Once again I'll ask: Have you sought Him? Humbly? With a heart that at very least desires to believe? This is the gateway to spiritual knowledge. Unless you're willing to do that, you CANNOT know. I'm not making any positive claim that "there is no God". One shouldn't believe in unicorns/leprechauns/a teapot in the Andromeda galaxy until there is good evidence for it. One may colloquially say that there aren't any real leprechauns/teapots floating in space (even if we haven't searched every corner of the universe for it).

One should FIRST get good evidence BEFORE they REALLY REALLY believe. This is simply not how God works. Example: Honesty as a personal attribute is a desirable trait for most people and to produce a good society. One can say they have honesty but until they're given the opportunity to be dishonest that trait cannot be expressed. When given that opportunity in a situation where being honest or dishonest could bring unknown consequences; Like finding a wallet full of money they do not get to see if returning it to it's owner's will net them a reward. They have to choose first to do the right thing, and risk receiving nothing. i.e there is no evidence that their actions will produce the result they may be interested in. When they choose honesty they've gained strength in their ability to be honest, and very often gain a witness that they've acted in truth when the feel good for doing the right thing regardless of reward. When the next choice comes they will have a little more strength to do the right thing. A lifetime of these choices will produce a person who is nigh incorruptible. Faith is a trait that God desires us to have, just like honesty. When we are presented with truth we can choose whether to believe or not, and then to act according to truth or not. After we choose faith, choose to believe and act we are blessed with the evidence of things not seen as a reward. This is how God works, this is why you cannot find Him via empirical means, because part of the reason we're here is to gain the attribute of faith. You shouldn't jump to comfortable conclusions. You wouldn't say that people have to really really believe in spirit-leprechauns first, would you?

I'm a Secular-Humanist Agnostic-Atheist, I think mindfulness is pretty interesting.I agree mindfulness is interesting. I spent a couple of years in Japan and think there is some awesome truth in eastern religions. I don't claim to know all the answers. I've read the Bible (and researched other religions), I honestly got more out of Aesop's Fables (and other books [mindfulness, psychology, etc. related]).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think people really do have the moving experiences they claim (though I wouldn't agree with the conclusions they draw). Conclusions drawn will have a great deal to do with the lens through which we see the world it's true, what is important is that God has given us a mechanism for finding truth if we continue to seek it. I'm just saying it's not a good way to get to truth. Once you understand the mechanism it is indeed the only way to find truth. A Hindu would see multiple Gods. A Muslim would see Allah. A Christian would see Yahweh. People (of various religions) have had a ton of "spiritual experiences" with mutually contradictory Gods. It matters immensely which one they worship/see at the moment (contrary to your earlier statement) or otherwise they could burn in hell forever/be severely punished. God is not the tyrant that some faith's make Him to be. He does not create His children simply to burn them in Hell when they've never had an opportunity to learn of Him and obey Him. However it is important to understand that He is a God of both Justice and mercy, one cannot rob the other. People's brains jump to conclusions, it's what it does. We've had previous Gods for thunder, tsunamis, the sun and the moon, etc.

If the evidence you have is the same kind of evidence that can "prove" a mutually contradictory God, it's not "excellent evidence". The 'kind' of evidence is not the primary identifying feature here. As when a soul searches for a supreme being that supreme being may respond. As I said that is the very beginning of spiritual knowledge. What a person does after that is often look to other's (religion's) experiences to continue to learn. All religions have elements of truth in them. Truth is confirmed in the hearts and minds of the humble seeker by the power of the Holy Ghost regardless of what religion they follow. Truth is Truth. The residue of false traditions can rightly be ascribed to the truth of men, sometimes well meaning sometimes not, being mixed in.

This Allah god seems pretty pissed off all the time, I'm not sure if people would agree with the whole loving thing. Same with Yahweh watching child rape and doing nothing.This will be very difficult for you to accept because you do not yet understand the nature and purposes of God. Do not be offended when I suggest that you cannot understand Algebra without understanding how to add, subtract, divide, and multiply. God desires His children to be like Him. We cannot be like Him without being free to make choices. We cannot choose unless there are both good things and bad things to choose. As heinous a thing as child rape is, (I have children myself and could not imagine the murderous rage I would be in were someone to hurt my children, God can heal those wounded children, whether in this life or the next. Very often the offender was themselves abused as a child. Only God can judge us in the context of the cards we've been dealt in life. Part of the process of gaining spiritual knowledge is learning to trust in God. It is difficult for me to imagine that the pain and suffering endured on this Earth could be worth the plan to put us here, but I trust God that it is.

My claim is just that there is no good evidence to currently believe in any God,I would submit to you that you've either not experienced or not recognized the evidence that is available to you. Once again I'll ask: Have you sought Him? Humbly? With a heart that at very least desires to believe? This is the gateway to spiritual knowledge. Unless you're willing to do that, you CANNOT know. I'm not making any positive claim that "there is no God". One shouldn't believe in unicorns/leprechauns/a teapot in the Andromeda galaxy until there is good evidence for it. One may colloquially say that there aren't any real leprechauns/teapots floating in space (even if we haven't searched every corner of the universe for it).

One should FIRST get good evidence BEFORE they REALLY REALLY believe. This is simply not how God works. Example: Honesty as a personal attribute is a desirable trait for most people and to produce a good society. One can say they have honesty but until they're given the opportunity to be dishonest that trait cannot be expressed. When given that opportunity in a situation where being honest or dishonest could bring unknown consequences; Like finding a wallet full of money they do not get to see if returning it to it's owner's will net them a reward. They have to choose first to do the right thing, and risk receiving nothing. i.e there is no evidence that their actions will produce the result they may be interested in. When they choose honesty they've gained strength in their ability to be honest, and very often gain a witness that they've acted in truth when the feel good for doing the right thing regardless of reward. When the next choice comes they will have a little more strength to do the right thing. A lifetime of these choices will produce a person who is nigh incorruptible. Faith is a trait that God desires us to have, just like honesty. When we are presented with truth we can choose whether to believe or not, and then to act according to truth or not. After we choose faith, choose to believe and act we are blessed with the evidence of things not seen as a reward. This is how God works, this is why you cannot find Him via empirical means, because part of the reason we're here is to gain the attribute of faith. You shouldn't jump to comfortable conclusions. You wouldn't say that people have to really really believe in spirit-leprechauns first, would you?

I'm a Secular-Humanist Agnostic-Atheist, I think mindfulness is pretty interesting.I agree mindfulness is interesting. I spent a couple of years in Japan and think there is some awesome truth in eastern religions. I don't claim to know all the answers. I've read the Bible (and researched other religions), I honestly got more out of Aesop's Fables (and other books [mindfulness, psychology, etc. related]).

I would suggest to you that reading the Bible and researching other religions is not sufficient to gain a knowledge of truth. You actually have to exercise faith by taking a precept or principle of truth and live it. Experiment upon the words of God, live them in your life and notice what they do. You may not have evidence of their benefit for yourself at first, though some do have powerful initial experiences. This must be gained like muscles in the body. I can teach you how to gain those muscles, you can read books on gaining those muscles but you will not gain them until you first have faith that the principles of muscle building will work, and then implement them into your life and live them, indeed work hard day after day, week after week, month after month only seeing small results at first, then looking back and seeing the transformation. Then you receive the reward of that faith...strong muscles. You don't get to read the book, and then magically have the muscle first to try them out before you do the work to gain them.This is how God works my friend.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

yeah....it's much better seeing threads about butt boils and assorted other nutroll threads.....right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is a religion subforum so that we don't have to see this dumb shit

yeah....it's much better seeing threads about butt boils and assorted other nutroll threads.....right?

Pretty much the same thing
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:22:20 AM EDT
[#28]
"Testimony"? That's...an interesting euphemism for the gibberish he had coming out of his mouth.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:57:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#31]
LMAO, BS.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: You assume you understand my conception of Heaven and Hell and you don't. I believe all religions have elements of truth and some doctrines that are similar but have been misapplied or misunderstood over the centuries. The Hindu belief in reincarnation is at its most fundamental roots similar to the idea of being born again mentioned in the bible.

...courtesy.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
"Testimony"? That's...an interesting euphemism for the gibberish he had coming out of his mouth.
View Quote

Was he holding a snake?

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:36:16 PM EDT
[#34]
In 1980 Father Guido Sarducci describes how the soul has a job.
Upon death, God pays the soul in full ($14.50/day), then deducts for sins.

Father Guido Sarducci "We pay for our sins" sketch
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Eternal hell is a big part of the reason i used to be atheist. I ended up going though demonic spiritual attack and it was terrifying. I never seen God or Jesus but i have my own proof that it's real now because i became a Christian and the demons that were attacking me stopped. The whole Christianity thing was a lot for me to take in but i found my answers about Hell (i experienced it one night) and it's not what most people think it is. $.02
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel bad  that god has doomed 70% of the WORLDS population to hell

Eternal hell is a big part of the reason i used to be atheist. I ended up going though demonic spiritual attack and it was terrifying. I never seen God or Jesus but i have my own proof that it's real now because i became a Christian and the demons that were attacking me stopped. The whole Christianity thing was a lot for me to take in but i found my answers about Hell (i experienced it one night) and it's not what most people think it is. $.02

Whew, damn.  Are you're armed, presumably.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

...courtesy.
View Quote

Appreciated. I withdrew my comments because:

1. it's unlikely to change either of our opinions regarding things we feel so strongly about. In that sense it's a futile task and as a rule I avoid that whenever I can.

2. in debates of these nature, it's unavoidable that one's criticisms amount to saying that 'I think your religion is bad or silly' which unnecessarily rude to imply.

3. deep down, I have no desire to alter the faith of any man, one way or the other. I think we can agree that we are each of us responsible for our own soul, for finding truth if there's any truth to be had.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

1. it's unlikely to change either of our opinions regarding things we feel so strongly about. In that sense it's a futile task and as a rule I avoid that whenever I can.

2. in debates of these nature, it's unavoidable that one's criticisms amount to saying that 'I think your religion is bad or silly' which unnecessarily rude to imply.

3. deep down, I have no desire to alter the faith of any man, one way or the other. I think we can agree that we are each of us responsible for our own soul, for finding truth if there's any truth to be had.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...courtesy.

Agreed. Frankly it's a very poor forum for actual idea exchange because most are here to banter rather than learn or constructively educate. I've found it fascinating though to see all of the different ideas about faith in general that people have. Ironically I see several serious problems with the video that started this thread, and came here out of curiosity for people's reaction to it. The key for me was when he said he was praying for an 'out of body experience.' That statement, for me, categorizes his dream into 'other/unknown' origins. Ymmv.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Sorry, I can't believe in an all loving and all forgiving God who created us as extremely fragile, and prone to sin - but who will also callously toss us into hell for eternity because were are fragile and prone to sin.

I am sure Hell exists, but it is the realm of demons and fallen angels. If God is all forgiving, he would forgive all of us sinners. And since we can't know when we will die, he would give us all an opportunity to repent.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#39]
the video in original post is not correct.  sounds like a Hollywood script.

I explained what the "afterlife" is like.  too bad the thread was archived, though.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1748466__ARCHIVED_THREAD____I_have_vividly_experienced_the_afterlife_.html&page=1
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Sorry, I can't believe in an all loving and all forgiving God who created us as extremely fragile, and prone to sin - but who will also callously toss us into hell for eternity because were are fragile and prone to sin.

I am sure Hell exists, but it is the realm of demons and fallen angels. If God is all forgiving, he would forgive all of us sinners. And since we can't know when we will die, he would give us all an opportunity to repent.
View Quote

The logical answer is that is any loving God exists, it will understand why some don't believe. It isn't because we hate God or because we want to rebel or revel in sin. It is because the evidence isn't there. I doubt he would want us to be gullible.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Absolutely...but....you have to ask for it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:36:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
http://www.adherents.com/images/rel_pie.gifhttp://www.adherents.com/images/rel_pie.gif

I feel bad  that god has doomed 70% of the WORLDS population to hell.

Well I take that back even more  perhaps , Jehovah's witness , Mormons , ?

Will they be allowed in heaven?

View Quote

God hasn't doomed anyone.  People doom themselves.  I know personal accountability isn't fashionable these days ...
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those of you who claim you do not believe are denying the truth and lying to yourselves. False, unprovable, and condescending. Nice.

Search your heart, read the bible everything he said in the video can be found within it. Jesus is the only person who ever died and came back to life. He lived a sinless life and died for us, so that you may live, if you only believe in HIM! Somebody rehashing what the bible says doesn't make it true.

Before Jesus returns the world will know who he is and everyone has a choice to make. If you go to hell it was your by choice. Ok. I choose not to go to hell, if it exists. Problem solved.

Chose wisely, accept the sacrifice Jesus made for you, repent and turn from your sin. But I like my sin! Wait.. what's my sin again?

If I am wrong in what I believe I loose nothing. If a non believer is wrong in what they believe they will loose everything. Why does it always come back to Pascal's Wager?

Our Father in heaven is a loving God and he leaves it up to us to love him or not. Our actions demonstrate weather we choose to love and honor God or not. So loving he created Hell!

My life probably wouldn't upset God all that much to begin with.

Faith and love do not involve "proof" - they just are.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Not true. You lose plenty, if it turns out you believe in and worship the wrong god.

Irrational statement. By definition, non-believers do not believe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I am wrong in what I believe I loose nothing.

Not true. You lose plenty, if it turns out you believe in and worship the wrong god.

If a non believer is wrong in what they believe they will loose everything.

Like the song says, "if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

God hasn't doomed anyone.  People doom themselves.  I know personal accountability isn't fashionable these days ...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.adherents.com/images/rel_pie.gifhttp://www.adherents.com/images/rel_pie.gif

Christians don't take personal responsibility for their sins. They pass that responsibility on to Jesus.

I accept full responsibility for the sins I've committed.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Like the song says, "if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol...let us all base decisions on eternity on Rush lyrics!
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 5:41:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree, you posit your god created us and gave us free will, knowing none of us will ever be perfect.  Then if we don't believe in him with no evidence (he gave us a mind that questions and seeks truths backed by facts) he created Hell to toss us in.  Your god doomed you from the start and knew it.  

He did not doom you or me to hell, because there is no such place (though some places I have been in this world sure come close to the descriptions).
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not scriptural. According to the Bible, God selected his Elect before time began. They are saved no matter what they believe or what they do in life. Likewise, everyone else is damned, no matter what they believe or what they do in life.

Why? Because God is in charge, not you. Anyone teaching otherwise isn't following the Bible or the Christian faith, no matter what they proclaim. (This, of course, is why there are hundreds of so-called Christian religions, each worshiping their own "Jesus".)

The God of the Bible is omnipotent, and doesn't take no kindly. The idea that humans decide their own fate, regardless of God's wishes, is the height of arrogance, and is not supported by Scripture.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least eternity has a great guitar riff..

What I find particularly offensive about much of Christianity is the idea of Original Sin, and all the guilt and emotional baggage that the follower of Jesus has to carry around because of it. I think it's crazy for someone to tell me that I committed some kind of moral crime for being born, and that I must submit to their belief system in order to atone for it. If they want to submit to a Lord or King, then go ahead. That concept is as foreign to me as is the idea of living in a state of total moral responsibility to a Christian.

I already have to submit to enough unpleasantness in my life, and so the idea of submitting to the will of a god(who is invisible, and so therefore I must trust the word of a man in his stead), is just offensive. But if you want to yoke yourself to that kind of emotional and psychological slavery, then go right ahead. Just don't expect me to join you as a fellow galley slave on the SS Guilt Trip.

My knees bend for no man, nor for any of his fictional deities.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That's not scriptural. According to the Bible, God selected his Elect before time began. They are saved no matter what they believe or what they do in life. Likewise, everyone else is damned, no matter what they believe or what they do in life.

Why? Because God is in charge, not you. Anyone teaching otherwise isn't following the Bible or the Christian faith, no matter what they proclaim. (This, of course, is why there are hundreds of so-called Christian religions, each worshiping their own "Jesus".)

The God of the Bible is omnipotent, and doesn't take no kindly. The idea that humans decide their own fate, regardless of God's wishes, is the height of arrogance, and is not supported by Scripture.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Actually, THIS is the height of arrogance.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top