Link Posted: 6/22/2023 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#3]
1.James Hetfield
2.Fredrik Thordendal
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@Lug1 I'm not familiar with the back story, what was the point he was making and to who?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not even sure why I feel compelled to come and defend Prince.!  Skip to 3:30 marker and enjoy. No smoke, mirrors, camera trickery or prerecorded track. This was a live, raw performance. RIP Prince.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWRCooFKk3c
This one performance lives rent free in GD's mind making the collective Prince is one of the best ever.  In fact it was a one of a kind, one off performance that doesn't remotely put him on par with the masters of the instrument.

But yea he could play a GOOD guitar.  That video is entertaining.  There is also a story behind it and why prince did what he did there.  He was making a point to someone else on that stage.  

At any rate, its a subjective topic.  But Prince in the top 5 ever is pretty much humorous, when so many masters have been named.

@Lug1 I'm not familiar with the back story, what was the point he was making and to who?
I may have the names confused.  But from people who live and work in that world Jeff Lind all week in rehearsal refused to give up enough time for prince because supposedly he was not as relevant. Again I think it was Jeff lind. But regardless prince barely got any jam session rehearsal.  He was supposed to have an 8 bar solo.  Well you see the result.  Watch the video when Petty starts singing again or tries.  Prince gives him some smiley faces side eye and keeps ripping and just took over.  Supposedly the back fall was not rehearsed either.

@aje
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#5]
@aje

My source is a guy who played Nashville for about 10 years as a session player and with a country band I don't have a clue the name cause that's not my cup of tea.  He's friends with Steve Lukather and some others.  He talks to these people pretty regular.  They post on his Facebook page periodically.  

He quit Nashville and came to work for us for 20 years.  He runs a construction company now.  He's a guy if you have a band and you end up in need, you can hire him on Monday, give him the music and by saturday night he's ready to play lead guitar, fiddle, banjo, dobro, or mandolin.  

But by his own admission he's a session or regional player at best.  He came to be a fireman cause his family was gonna starve with him being a musician
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble - Austin City Limits, 1989
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Someone mentioned Brian May, I have to say he belongs on any top guitar player's list. One of the best at capturing a melody directly on the fretboard, while wringing out every ounce of emotion that you can get from a guitar.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:04:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I’m not even sure why I feel compelled to come and defend Prince.!  Skip to 3:30 marker and enjoy. No smoke, mirrors, camera trickery or prerecorded track. This was a live, raw performance. RIP Prince.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWRCooFKk3c
View Quote

Everything you said is true. He just wasn’t very good. No variety, no technique. It’s stuff that teenagers do.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you can't finger pick, you ain't a great guitarist
View Quote

I don't care if they can finger pick or not, if they make feel something, they're good.

Both Iommi and Townsend make me feel something, but neither are are a top tier picker imho.

Iommi, especially, comes up with incredible riffs that stir my soul, and he's been doing it since the late 60's.

Gilmour, on the other hand, is one of the greats at picking his way into my soul.

Blackmore and Page are two who, imo, are very well rounded.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:54:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Definitely Hendrix and Eddie, but 3rd-5th are hard to choose, so I'll give all three slots to Satchel.

Honorable mentions:

BB King
Clapton
SRV
Brian May
Tony Iomi
Angus
Mick Mars
Tosin Abasi
Tim Henson (even though he looks like a fag)
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:29:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Gilmour
Iommi
Randy
Dime
SRV
Cantrell

Fuck, that's six.
Oh well.

Honorable mention for:
Hendrix
EVH
Hanneman
Hetfield
Guthrie
Skolnick
Fripp
Segovia
Gibbons
Trucks
Charo
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 1:10:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Top five is a tough list to crack, so many talented musicians.

I always though Alvin Lee was very good.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 2:35:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Slash
Dimebag Darrell
Zakk Wylde
C.C. DeVille
Jerry Cantrell

Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:47:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Dave Mustaine
Danny Spitz
David Gilmour
Alex Skolnick
Gary Holt
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:55:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Hendrix
EVH
SRV
John Frusciante
Jimmy Page
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 9:34:32 AM EDT
[#16]
James Hetfield. In his prime, there wasnt a rhythm guitar player that could even come close to his speed. Nearly everything he plays fast is downpicked. Kirk had to get up to his level when he wasnt soloing.

Stevie Ray Vaughn. Greatest Blues player to ever live. Unmatched improv ability and absolutely the most incredible tone from his playing style. You might match his notes and bends, but that tone.... that was all in his fingers. Damn near played with bass gauge strings. Channeled all his pain and emotion through his guitar.

Dimebag Darrell. The most complete package. Background in country and blues, with a monstrous playing presence. So much talent and made playing at his level look effortless! Absolutely the reason I love camo shorts to this day.

Zakk Wylde. Unlimited talent with the guitar, multi instrument musician and can do everything on his guitar AND front a band. Improv skills nearly as good as Stevie Ray Vaughn. Kept Ozzy Osborne relavent with his contributions on his albums.

Jimi Hendrix. Literally influenced my first 4 guitar players. Helped usher in a wilder side of rock that eventually evolved into my beloved Heavy Metal.

Honorable mentions: Eric Clapton, Chuck Berry, David Gilmour, BB King, countless more.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Rory Gallagher - A Million Miles Away Irish Tour 1974

Definitely top 10
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Live in Finland (1985 & 1988)
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Randy Rhodes
Mark Knopfler
Jimmy Hendrix
Roy Clark
David Gilmour
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Andrés Segovia
Pepe Romero
David Russell
Xuefei Yang
And for electric guitar: Tina S
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 8:13:37 PM EDT
[#21]
My five, as in the ones I'd always want to listen to, not necessarily the greatest..

The guys in Iron Maiden
Gary Moore
George Lynch

Next up

Tony Iommi
Doug Aldrich
Reb Beach
John Sykes
Joel Hoekstra
Vivian Campbell
Warren DiMartini
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Jeff Beck

Jimi Hendrix

Robin Trower

David Gilmore

Eric Clapton

Link Posted: 6/23/2023 8:57:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Dimebag
David Gilmour
EVH
Jimmy Page
Hendrix

Honorable Mentions:
Randy Rhodes
Tony Iommi
Mark Morton
Willie Alder
Dave Mustaine
James Hetfield
Marty Friedman
Jerry Cantrell
Synyster Gates
Adam Demico (spelling?)
Fredrick Thordenthal
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 10:31:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Albert King
Albert Collins
Billy Gibbons
Uncle Ted
Frank Zappa
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 10:38:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Jeff Beck

Jimi Hendrix

Robin Trower

David Gilmore

Eric Clapton

View Quote
I think you are the first person to mention Trower.  I thought about it.  I saw him live at a club called Dallas City Limits.  I was standing right in front of him his whole set.  That dude makes some seriously ugly faces...LOL.  He is a great guitarist.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 10:45:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Absolutely not.  Case in point...  Slash.  He was never a great guitarist.  He could put together a good song in the studio, where you get infinity mulligans.  Guns'n'Roses inspired a whole generation of guitarists.  But slash could never play their songs live.  Every live performance you see of them, he sucks butts.

And then back to the unknown studio guitarists.  The guys fat axel rose has touring with him now are those guys.  A couple no-name dudes who learned to play guitar with GnR songs.  They are playing Slash's songs perfectly without even trying.

View Quote

Gotta disagree with this. I know the entire band was famous for sucking live back in the day, but word was they were usually six kinds of fucked up most of the time.

I saw them on their reunion tour and he absolutely  nailed it live. And wasn't really a fan going into that show. I left very impressed with both his and Axel's live performances
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Dimebag
View Quote

Username checks out.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 11:37:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Allan Holdsworth
Yngwie Malmsteen
John Browne
Andy Timmons
SRV
Per Nilsson
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 11:40:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Randy Rhodes
Eddie Van Halen
Jimi Hendrix
Tony Iommi
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 11:43:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Slash
Jimi
Eddy V
Waylon

5th is probably country
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 11:44:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Randy Rhodes
Eddie Van Halen
Jimi Hendrix
Tony Iommi
Stevie Ray Vaughan
View Quote

Randy?

SRV us fucking over rated big time
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 11:55:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Allan Holdsworth
Yngwie Malmsteen
John Browne
Andy Timmons
SRV
Per Nilsson
View Quote
Andy Timmons.  I have, or my buddy has, a picture of him on my shoulders at a place called the Gravity Room in Denton Texas, back in the late 80's.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 12:53:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Surprised that nobody has mentioned Michael Romeo (Symphony X) yet.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 12:58:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Randy Rhoads
View Quote
Randy for me as well. Not only was he a virtuoso, his parts are as memorable as the vocals or anything else in a lot of songs he plays on.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 3:23:25 AM EDT
[#35]
My hands down favorite guitarist of all time?

Easy. An ex GF.

She played well, but she'd occasionally play for me in her birthday suit.  There is something totally magical watching a pretty and nekkid lady play guitar and sing.

It is a type of memory I'd wish all good men could carry.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 8:12:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ah, the glory days of boomer rock...

In terms of technical proficiency, the top five guitarists of all time are probably all under 30 today. Kids learn techniques that didn't exist back then when they are 5Y/O

Composition is a whole other question though.
View Quote
everyone here should watch Tim Henson for a couple minutes
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 8:48:24 AM EDT
[#37]
People keep listing Randy Rhodes.

Link Posted: 6/24/2023 8:56:04 AM EDT
[#38]
In no particular order.

Jimmy Page
Jimi Hendrix
Eddie Van Halen
Mark Knopfler
David Gilmour
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 8:57:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Leo Kotke
Eric Clapton
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Chet Atkins
Roy Clark
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 9:31:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Santana plays the saxophone?
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 9:32:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Who are YOUR Top 5 gee-tar pickers.  All music genres and styles apply...

mine are:

Prince
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Jimmy Page
Roy Clark
David Gilmour

*Honorary recognition goes to Billy Duffy (The Cult)

Wat u gots..?
View Quote
guitarists.  It’s plural.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#42]
In no particular order (my opinions of course)

EVH
Gary Moore
Richie Kotzen
Buckethead
Randy Rhodes

Best duo - Brad Gillis and Jeff Watson
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 10:11:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Don't know if he's a "top 5", but I've fallen down a YouTube rabbit hole with Mateus Asato.  Kid has incredible emotion/inflection/timing and CHOPS!

Mateus Asato || take for Paul Davids's jam

Mateus asato (alien tone) - alternative picking & pentatonik hybridpicking scale.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 11:38:43 AM EDT
[#44]

Airplane, Pusherman, Henry Parsons Died (Oak Mountain 2000)

Jerry Garcia and John Kahn - Reuben and Cherise (5-5-82)

Rev. Gary Davis playing "Candyman"

Baby, Please Don't Go - Lightnin' Hopkins
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top