Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 3:30:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've actually given them some thought, and still am considering one.

I'd like to spend my money on land primarily, garage/workshop second, home third. If rather have a garage sized house and a house sized garage, I don't do much inside my house other than eat and sleep.
View Quote
All you need is a full bathroom, minimal kitchen, and sleeping area to live in the garage.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 3:33:34 PM EDT
[#2]
They're for self-aggrandizing virtue-signalling moochers who wish to sponge off the largess of hard working Americans.  
Most aren't set up for any type of real world long term living, so their owners have to go begging for storage, services, and amenities.

To name a few -

Electrical Services
Plumbing/Water/Sewer
Laundry
Lawn Care
Home Maintenance Supplies
Food Supplies (in any meaningful quantity)
Clothes Storage - Winter/Summer/Rain
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yep. By where I work, a couple built a giant pole barn. In the corner they closed it in and placed a basement and rooms 2 story high. Rest of the space is garage space and a workshop. I’m starting to think it is the way to go.
View Quote
That's why a granny unit is the best bachelor pad. You have your room and kitchen up top and then downstairs is your garage full of shit.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 3:36:42 PM EDT
[#4]
If anything, now I want one to increase GD's hostility
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Small houses (800-1000 as ft) are cool with me.  Less to clean and maintain.

Tiny houses are ridiculous.  They're kitchy trailers.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#6]
They are for hipster dip shits who have no idea what they are really getting into.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 3:43:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

All you need is a full bathroom, minimal kitchen, and sleeping area to live in the garage.
View Quote
I like cooking too much to make that a minimal item. But I have given consideration to putting a second floor/loft living area over a garage/workspace.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think they're neat

Keep it on wheels and you avoid paying property taxes on it, just land tax-
https://offgridworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/tiny-house.jpg
View Quote
Agreed. I wouldn't do it, (well maybe short term) but I think it's interesting stuff. The ingenious ways they save space is really fascinating to me for some reason.

If I had a lot of land and a huge garage for my cars and gym I would consider it I guess, but I suppose that kinda defeats the purpose
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't mind something with the layout and living area of an average hotel room, and an attached garage for my car and storage for bikes, lawn mower, etc...

Anything else is too small for more than a seldom used vacation home.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 3:54:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I've seen some cool looking ones on YouTube and whatnot. They'd be neat for short stays. I wouldn't want to live in one, though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd like to spend my money on land primarily, garage/workshop second, home third. If rather have a garage sized house and a house sized garage, I don't do much inside my house other than eat and sleep.
When I read his post, my first thought was basically the same. At that point, might as well just build a dream garage/workshop, and tack on small living quarters to it.

I could live with that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Oh, excuse me. I didn't realize YOU were the person who qualifies these structures. I bow to your esteem.

Mary.
View Quote
It's Noreen, not Mary
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

When I read his post, my first thought was basically the same. At that point, might as well just build a dream garage/workshop, and tack on small living quarters to it.

I could live with that.
View Quote
There are a few places in my AO that are like this. No separate house, this is it-
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:02:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You can stick-build something of greater size for far cheaper.
View Quote
This is why it doesn't work in my brain. The cost for 400 sq. ft. is equal to building 800-1000 of prefab or modular home the last time I looked.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:02:48 PM EDT
[#15]
If you aren't a hipster douche-canoe you can just get a camper or a single wide.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:04:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There are a few places in my AO that are like this. No separate house, this is it-
http://www.adheatingandcooling.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/traditional-garage.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could live with that.
http://www.adheatingandcooling.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/traditional-garage.jpg
I took the " build a cabin and buy a shipping container" route.

If I had to do it all again, I'd do exactly what you pictured, but with a 3 bay garage.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you aren't a hipster douche-canoe you can just get a camper or a single wide.
View Quote
the difference--as it is told by tinies--is that a camper is not designed for permanent living.  everything is built exceptionally light and flimsy in order to keep weight down for easy transport.  same with mobile homes, which are substantially bigger but also need to keep weight down.

in general, tiny houses aren't intended to be moved as often, so the construction, furniture, appliances, etc. are much closer to normal home standards.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:12:05 PM EDT
[#18]
They serve a purpose as a bug out location you could get to out in the country near a water source. You could off grid it. Maybe add a shipping container buried under it for storage of food and water and weapons and ammo. Would even be able to cammo it if you chose too. You could power it with solar as well as a quite generator combo.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:14:26 PM EDT
[#19]
dumb

The idiots building or buying those things end up paying just as much, in most of the cases, as they would for a cheap house. Except instead of a real house they have a tiny house with almost no lasting value that will age like a mobile home rather than a house. Tiny houses are essentially hip/trendy travel trailers with shit aerodynamics, and that don't have the same stigma attached to them as living out of a more traditional mobile home.

The only times tiny houses make sense is if you really want to live somewhere where the housing/rent pricing is insane, can't afford property tax, and/or already have someone willing to let you set up on their property (or don't mind a living in a trailer park). The other time it's a decent idea is if it is a craft project and you are going to use it as a little guest house. It's also nice if you need a seasonal cabin for an extra property, in which case it can be a great idea since you can take it with you when you leave rather than have it sit empty waiting for weather or thieves to mess it up.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I could live with that.
View Quote
O baby! Full bath, kitchen and bedroom closed off from a giant garage/workshop. A small Bridgeport lathe and mill, saws, and a forge... have compressed air throughout... sitting on acres... with a natural hillside that could be used as a backstop for a gun range... with a sizable bass pond... some woods... ATV trails throughout...
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#21]
How does that differ from living in a 'MobileHome'?
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:18:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I don’t like them one little bit
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Tuffshed sells a cool premade cabin for a few thousand.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I've always been a fan of the idea.

But what is a tiny house and what I want are two different things.

In my mind I am thinking of the 650sqft chalet my wife and I lived in the first year of marriage.

That thing was sweet and would have been perfect if we didn't have a daughter. She still calls it her house when we pass it on the way to our actual house.

The problem with tiny houses as the fad is the architecture is to trendy and most seem not to give up the right things.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:22:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could live with that.
Yep. I could definitely live in something like that, depending on how deep that building goes. Looks kinda small from the front view.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
O baby! Full bath, kitchen and bedroom closed off from a giant garage/workshop. A small Bridgeport lathe and mill, saws, and a forge... have compressed air throughout... sitting on acres... with a natural hillside that could be used as a backstop for a gun range... with a sizable bass pond... some woods... ATV trails throughout...
https://media1.giphy.com/media/HhWpLFOMqNTgI/giphy.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could live with that.
https://media1.giphy.com/media/HhWpLFOMqNTgI/giphy.gif
Sign me up!
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I could live with that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could live with that.
When my uncle built a garage for his racecars he added basically what you said. He said it's a place to hide when he buys another 100k mustang.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:30:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Tuffshed sells a cool premade cabin for a few thousand.
View Quote
Will have to check them out.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#29]
For a comparable price you could buy a nice used Airstream, and when you finally get tired of it the Airstream will have aged better and retained far more of its value. And if you plan on taking it anywhere, the Airstream is actually built to withstand driving at speed on a regular basis. It really is better in every way.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#30]
I think they COULD be really cool and useful, if they sold for anywhere close to what they are actually worth.  As it stands, they are a fad taking advantage of old hippies and millennial hipsters.  The Apple of mobile homes.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Most towns will not allow tiny houses on any properties(even your own). theres rules in alot of places that a structure must be at least 900Sq/ft.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Tax loophole

Spoke to a guy in park city that had land with a decked out “tiny home”. It was over 1000sqft.

If it has wheels you don’t have to pay the value of the structure on your property taxes. He was taxed only on his lot value.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/58a8dc2586e6c0c37392a342/t/58aa15786b8f5bc5081ec695/1487541625401/1+house.jpg?format=1500w
View Quote
@2W0X1

Do you have any more pics of that one?  It looks pretty damn sweet.  We’re searching for the right piece of mountain land now and plan to put something small on it until we can afford the “extended family lodge” that we need.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:40:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
When my uncle built a garage for his racecars he added basically what you said. He said it's a place to hide when he buys another 100k mustang.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could live with that.
Nice.

My GF's dad built his own mancave/garage. He and his wife have their house and "normal" garage. Then he built another, much larger garage with a lift (he has a '68 or '69 Camaro SS he rebuilt) that also has a full bar, TV and bathroom. No sleeping quarters or kitchen, though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Agreed. I wouldn't do it, (well maybe short term) but I think it's interesting stuff. The ingenious ways they save space is really fascinating to me for some reason.
View Quote
It's pretty cool because we were all fascinated by submarines and spacecraft, but in reality, trying to live in that little space is just a fucking pain in the ass.   In a real house, you have room for so many activities.   There's no rule that you have to cram a house full of useless, dust-collecting bullshit.

An acquaintance of mine had about 150 acres out in the middle of nowhere.   He had a large steel building with the first third finished out into living quarters, the second part his workshop, and the third was vehicle storage.

I would have been doing something like that a long time ago if I had to do it all over again.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:46:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
the difference--as it is told by tinies--is that a camper is not designed for permanent living.  everything is built exceptionally light and flimsy in order to keep weight down for easy transport.  same with mobile homes, which are substantially bigger but also need to keep weight down.

in general, tiny houses aren't intended to be moved as often, so the construction, furniture, appliances, etc. are much closer to normal home standards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

if you are judging them as a static house, ignoring the mobility, then they are just an extraordinarily expensive per/sqft alternative to a single-wide. Except that single-wide homes are generally built better. I've seen plenty of well-maintained single-wides that have lasted decades. From what I've seen most tiny homes age like a crappy RV.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#36]
If that is how they want to spend their money and lives, go for it.  Some live on small boats, in small RV's and in small cabins.  Freedom to choose, even if you choose poorly.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could live with that.
A place like that but two double doors two cars deep.  Oh man.  I went from 1,200 square to a five bedroom down to a three bedroom.  Only thing I missed was the three car garage.  If only I could convince the wife.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Most towns will not allow tiny houses on any properties(even your own). theres rules in alot of places that a structure must be at least 900Sq/ft.
View Quote
a trailer isn't a structure

dumb rules like minimum sqft requirements are one of the reasons tiny homes are almost always on wheels
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#39]
My gun room is bigger than those little things.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yep. I could definitely live in something like that, depending on how deep that building goes. Looks kinda small from the front view.
View Quote
This whole thing is probably 1200~sqft. I could easily do it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

A place like that but two double doors two cars deep.  Oh man.  I went from 1,200 square to a five bedroom down to a three bedroom.  Only thing I missed was the three car garage.  If only I could convince the wife.  
View Quote
My wife and I went from a large 3 bedroom house to our now 1000sqft house. We like it much better. Our garage is unattached and it's badass. We plan tearing it down and stretching it 2 cars deep along with having a massive game room/studio upstairs from it. Both of us are into cars, motorcycles, garage stuff basically.

This place is like a dream home to me. I would love to have all my toys in my house
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 5:11:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 5:18:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

dumb rules like minimum sqft requirements are one of the reasons tiny homes are almost always on wheels
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

right, and most towns will not allow you to live in a trailer on your own land, either.

big government in action.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Fine for a weekend stay on vacation.

To actually live in, fuck that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Because nothing beats the smell of exhaust with your morning coffee?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Because nothing beats the smell of exhaust with your morning coffee?
not to mention heating and cooling your garage to the same temperature as your bedroom.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 5:19:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
ridiculous fad
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

My wife and I went from a large 3 bedroom house to our now 1000sqft house. We like it much better. Our garage is unattached and it's badass. We plan tearing it down and stretching it 2 cars deep along with having a massive game room/studio upstairs from it. Both of us are into cars, motorcycles, garage stuff basically.

This place is like a dream home to me. I would love to have all my toys in my house
http://spaceinteriopro.club/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/garage-studio-apartments-best-collection-cool-garage-apartments-top-photos-ideas-for-two-story-garage-with-loft-on-cool-best-garage-studio-flat.jpg
View Quote
Car garages exist for very good reasons.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

@2W0X1

Do you have any more pics of that one?  It looks pretty damn sweet.  We’re searching for the right piece of mountain land now and plan to put something small on it until we can afford the “extended family lodge” that we need.
View Quote
@mchgnxj24

I came across the photo looking at landark. I believe they do custom designs. https://landarkrv.com/

Link Posted: 3/29/2019 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

not to mention heating and cooling your garage to the same temperature as your bedroom.
View Quote
And a wide open plan with plenty of hard surfaces for sound to reflect from.   Doing a load of laundry or running the dishwasher?  Good luck watching TV.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top