User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:17:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:18:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:21:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Vessel. They are JIS and work better on Phillips than Phillips, and the impacta versions work  great. If you work on Japanese motorcycles they are a must.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

lol...plenty of phillips and flats in the marine world my friend.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol, I'm a mechanic, and I can't remember the last time I used a screwdriver...

What they really need to do is bring back the Alexander pocket flathead with a magnet on the end...all the tool trucks can get now is the chicom junk where the magnet breaks off after a couple weeks.

(My screwdrivers are Snap-off in the rare case I use one)

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/577817/20230207_144012_jpg-2827048.JPG

I hated boats doing audio/security. Most of them didn’t fit in our shops. Parking lot install in a boat for hours. No fans, in the sun, hot as fucking hell, boat owner being a dick,  
boat owner watching and getting in the way, fiberglass dust, dead batteries, boat owner can't back a trailer...
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:29:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just ordered a couple vessel megadora phillips yesterday to give a try.
View Quote

I bought a set about a year ago and love them. My favorite so far.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:30:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:33:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Wera

All the rest.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:34:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So you mean posidrive. They arent the same
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Vessel. They are JIS and work better on Phillips than Phillips, and the impacta versions work  great. If you work on Japanese motorcycles they are a must.

Positive was used on audio equipment chassis in my world. If you didn't have the right screwdriver, you would wind up drilling it out after fubaring the fastener some of the time. Not a time saver.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:35:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I hated boats doing audio/security. Most of them didn’t fit in our shops. Parking lot install in a boat for hours. No fans, in the sun, hot as fucking hell, boat owner being a dick,  
boat owner watching and getting in the way, fiberglass dust, dead batteries, boat owner can't back a trailer...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What they really need to do is bring back the Alexander pocket flathead with a magnet on the end...all the tool trucks can get now is the chicom junk where the magnet breaks off after a couple weeks.

welcome to my world...lol

I had to make my shop 14' tall sides and 30x40 to make sure I could work on my boat in there.

And now I have to run a new line to one of my kicker speakers because the old line is corroded from the live well leaking salt water on it
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:36:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a set of Wiha and a Snap On set. They're both better than my various assortment of others but the SO is best.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:37:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I had to make my shop 14' tall sides and 30x40 to make sure I could work on my boat in there.

View Quote

Sure midcap, boat, sure...
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:56:30 PM EDT
[#12]
PB Swiss is fast becoming my favorite. Their steel is superior as is the overall quality (Swiss, what a surprise).

I love the tri-lobe handle shape that Witte has, as maslin02 pointed out in page one.

If PB Swiss would make their drivers with the Witte handle shape in their SwissGrip material, it would be the ideal one for me.

Personally I don't really like the Wera handle shape, and many of the Felo, Stahlwille, Hazet, Gedore handles are not ideal either. IIRC Witte makes screwdrivers for Stahlwille. Wiha is not what it used to be, but I really liked their Soft Finish and 3K handles, the latter being discontinued.

Regular acetate or polypropylene handles (think old Craftsman) are the worst for me, personally.

I have screwdrivers from PB Swiss, Wera, Witte, Felo, Wiha, Snap-On plus some miscellaneous drivers/brands, that's what my opinion is based on.
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 11:59:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Knipex for panel and electrical work. Snapon for automotive.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:01:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PoziDrive and JIS are NOT the same.

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:03:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I like Kline and Craftsman.  Best feature on both is the handles.  They just work the best for me.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:03:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:04:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Same difference
View Quote

Sure thing.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:05:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:10:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I do commercial HVAC and use Klein.

...because that's what the company buys me
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:11:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Wera by a country mile.

People that say Wiha haven't tried Wera. I have a ton of both and it's not even close.

I actually would pick PB Swiss as my second favorite. I have been really liking theirs that I've been buying (which is whenever Wera doesn't offer something).
View Quote

As fanatical as you are about tools (as am I), you should give PB Swiss a try. Especially their slotted drivers.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:12:00 AM EDT
[#21]
My Craftsman have never failed me.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:13:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Klien and wera
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:14:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Its a screw driver.

Noone uses them anymore
View Quote

I make a decent bit of money working on cars, I use screw drivers daily. Flat, torx and sometimes even philips. German dealership.

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:16:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:18:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

And now I have to run a new line to one of my kicker speakers because the old line is corroded from the live well leaking salt water on it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone wants to be a boat mechanic unitll its time to do boat mechanic shit.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:20:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:23:32 AM EDT
[#27]
My favorite fixed screwdriver is a Wiha, hands down, and this includes Torx and hex drivers.

My favorite ratcheting screwdriver in Snap-on.  

That said, outside the house, in my mobile toolkits I have mostly Klein interchangeable bit drivers for the sheer versatility (I despise 1" bit drivers)  

For power bits I like all of the big 3 (Yellow, Red and Blue) but I won't buy anything less than 2".  Did I mention I despise 1" bits?  

I had never had Wera for sale near me, but a year ago I got a small set for Christmas, and they are growing on me.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:25:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol ain't that the truth....I always hated when the commercial crabbers came in, boy those boats stunk the high heavens.

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:31:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Cool story bro. I also work in a dealership. The only time i use a screwdriver is as a prybar or on an older vehicle.
View Quote

I work on airplanes. A good screwdriver is your friend. Every plane I work on, I change hundreds of screws. Most are Phillips but every once in a while some asshole engineer slips in a slotted screw.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:34:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We used 'direct burial' wire in boats. I don't know what difference it made, if any. Sweat with fiberglass dust ground in is worse than crawling in an attic with Rockwool or Owen's pink. Both are miserable.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:36:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

JIS? I guess it was one of those mf's that didn't take anything else.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:37:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:38:51 AM EDT
[#33]
It doesn't matter what the brand is.

The screwdriver should fit the fastener properly and be hard enough to not deform with torque.

ETA:  

I've broken the entire end off of a Snap-On screw driver before, so brand names don't mean much to me.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:41:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The screwdriver should fit the fastener properly and be hard enough to not deform with torque.
View Quote

That is a nice thought.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:41:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you. I have vessel for JIS, and PB swiss for posidrive.
I also have a mix of Witte, Wera, Wiha, Felo and Kline screwdrivers.

PB swiss is definitely the best of them all. Witte and Felo are quite nice as well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:43:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That is a nice thought.
View Quote

Because this is what we mechanics expect of screwdrivers.

It's easy to use the wrong one.

It needs to fit well.

And withstand the torque we are capable of applying.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:45:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

ETA:  

I've broken the entire end off of a Snap-On screw driver before, so brand names don't mean much to me.
View Quote

You want it to snap when over torqued. Saves the screw head for another try. Better than deforming it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:46:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I like the old school hard square handled Snap-On screwdrivers made by Williams.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:48:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It needs to fit well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a nice thought.

It needs to fit well.

If it is a fresh, never been boogered up screw, all is good if it wasn't stripped, or cross threaded, or glued in place, or painted over, or rusty...
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:54:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

We used 'direct burial' wire in boats. I don't know what difference it made, if any. Sweat with fiberglass dust ground in is worse than crawling in an attic with Rockwool or Owen's pink. Both are miserable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah the fiberglass sucks balls....powerding your self up prior does help

The direct burial stuff is better than regular copper but ideally you would want to use a white jacket, two strand tinned multi strand copper wire.

I even used that studd on the trolling motor wiring. It was expensive, but buy once cry o nce
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 1:01:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Pittsburgh
View Quote

Don’t laugh.

Among all my screwdrivers (which are mostly Phillips due to automotive use), I have two Pittsburgh from HF.  

I bought them for non-precision work.  But they have held up better than some other brands.   The damned things are 15+ years old, and still have decent tips on them.

I am not proud to own them, but I cannot say they suck.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 1:01:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The direct burial stuff is better than regular copper but ideally you would want to use a white jacket, two strand tinned multi strand copper wire.

I even used that studd on the trolling motor wiring. It was expensive, but buy once cry o nce
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The boat dealers we did work for specified the wire and connectors we used on their jobs. Everything was soldered/heat shrunk. We used the same on walk in jobs on boats. I tried to price us out of several large boat jobs. The customers paid muh price most of the time. ;-;#&#*,#;@;#.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 1:02:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I like the old school hard square handled Snap-On screwdrivers made by Williams.
View Quote

I had a bunch of those, and all the plastic handles developed shrinkage cracks??
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 1:05:06 AM EDT
[#44]
wiha
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 1:09:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

ETA:  

View Quote

It does matter because not all brands are the same. Obviously. Also, while the steel in one brand may be great, the handle may be awful for the person using it. A screwdriver doesn't do much good if it's difficult or painful to use peoperly.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 1:22:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I had a bunch of those, and all the plastic handles developed shrinkage cracks??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had several self destruct along with a dead blow hammer. I could break the screwdriver handles with my bare hands. The dead blow had several 1/4" splits across the striking faces and the top. A dealer swapped them for me, but said they were exposed to fumes from either batteries or solvents of some kind. I had a few defective Makita batteries in my box at the time. I also had some Super77 glue, and trim glues of different brands. The box had sat unopened for prolly 3 years at that point. A MAC rollaway.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 1:25:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

That was a material problem Snap on still warrantied and replaced them, I actually still have some with no issue's that I got from my Dad and Wife's dad. Just to see how long they will go for.
I haven't used a regular screw driver in years I am still using the discontinued 1/4" square drive shank screw driver blades Snap on put out years ago.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 1:27:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 1:30:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That was a material problem Snap on still warrantied and replaced them, I actually still have some with no issue's that I got from my Dad and Wife's dad. Just to see how long they will go for.
I haven't used a regular screw driver in years I am still using the discontinued 1/4" square drive shank screw driver blades Snap on put out years ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh, these?Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 1:33:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top