Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 5:08:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have no idea what is going on inside my 911.  Some dark and arcane magic that is not meant to be understood by mere mortals like myself.  

I find it hilarious that when you open the "engine compartment" as the driver/owner of the vehicle, you basically get ZERO access to actual engine components.  It's like Porsche wants to emphasize that they believe you are too stupid to be allowed access, and don't trust you.  
View Quote
You know you have a Porsche when Hans the "Technician" comes out n his white lab coat with his metal clipboard and say "Swine! You haf abused zis automobile!  You do not deserve to own zis fine piece of Cherman Engineering!"
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 5:18:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Mercedes

Saab - great compromise
View Quote

For a long time, the Germans resisted the idea of having cup holders - Felt that they didn't belong in an automobile.

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 7:24:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Observe the beauty and simplicity of the Chevy LS V8 engine. Compact, powerful, available everywhere! The choice for hot rodders everywhere. You can probably get parts for this in the middle of Yemen and some dude riding in on a camel could repair it.

http://assets.superchevy.com/f/61898858.jpg

Now, observe an Audi DOHC V8. Whatever German who had been reading his own press about German efficiency and then designed this monstrosity should be kicked in the nuts repeatedly and then have a VW carved on his forehead like the Inglorious Basterd that he is. Look at that thing. It's horrible. It should come with a warning like a Nintendo, letting you know that prolonged viewing can cause seizures and a desire to invade Poland.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/attachments/automotive/212068d1561052770-does-your-car-have-timing-belt-9260e79a-54c9-49ea-8949-eab7da12748c.jpeg

German efficiency is highly overrated. Whenever someone says that phrase, substitute it with German Complexity and you'll have the correct idea.

I owned a BMW with a V8 for 9 years, all out of warranty. So yes, I have thoughts on this.
View Quote

A total misunderstanding of why.

That engine also fits in places designed for a 3.0v6 and 2.0 4cyl.

The chain system does several things, the first chain you see at the bottom runs a PTO, the pto drives a ps pump and ac compressor tucked under the block on the bank 2 side. This left room for the alternator on bank 1. It ment a shorter, stubbier belt system that allows the engine to use less space.

The chains on the back also allows the chains to use a stronger but noiser design which, since its wedged between the block and trans you dont hear them.

Using multiple chains increases chain life over one big long chain. Ill be absolutly honest with you the only times ive replaced them was on poorly maintained vehicles.. One had a oil bottle seal stuck to the pick up tube which reduced pressure till the guides broke.

One, break down what you see and its not that complex and it makes sense out side of "durr hurr ls hurr"

I bet theres probably only 3-4 other arfcommers other than myself that have even replaced those chains.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 7:54:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

MK5 FSI. not MK6.

MK6 was TSI, air box to the side 6 torx screws.

that FSI airbox is a pain in the ass. but its a 40k mile interval same as the spark plugs so no big deal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My mk6 Golf was the epitome of this. To change the air filter in most cars it's a matter of flipping a couple of clips and removing the top of the filter box...easy and literally a 5 minute job.  
Not so für ze Golf... because Klaus and Dieter decided to locate the air filter UNDER the engine cover. First, find a T20 driver to remove the air intake hose (two screws) from the housing by the grille. Then get some channel locks or other wide pliers to compress the hose clamp on the other air hose and remove that hose by the engine cover. Then remove the engine cover and turn it upside down. Locate the five (5) screws holding the air filter cover in place.  Remove the screws, better to use a power drill/driver as the screws are long.  Finally, replace air filter and re-attach everything.  Give yourself at least 30 minutes.

MK5 FSI. not MK6.

MK6 was TSI, air box to the side 6 torx screws.

that FSI airbox is a pain in the ass. but its a 40k mile interval same as the spark plugs so no big deal.

Wrong.  I think I know what car I had and drove for 10.5 years. It was a mk6 with the 2.5 inline 5.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Golf_Mk6
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:59:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Wrong.  I think I know what car I had and drove for 10.5 years. It was a mk6 with the 2.5 inline 5.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Golf_Mk6
View Quote

I was thinking GTI. I forgot people actually bought the 2.5

those 2.5 covers were not too bad.

the FSI covers were fucking horrible.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:16:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have no idea what is going on inside my 911.  Some dark and arcane magic that is not meant to be understood by mere mortals like myself.  

I find it hilarious that when you open the “engine compartment” as the driver/owner of the vehicle, you basically get ZERO access to actual engine components.  It’s like Porsche wants to emphasize that they believe you are too stupid to be allowed access, and don’t trust you.  
View Quote

AGREED!

I Pulled open the hood to lay my mortal eyes upon such Teutonic Techno Wizardry & Magic of the 911...

I scrambled all around leaning over the bumper & front fenders - NO ENGINE under the Hood!!   Clearly the Dark Arts & Witchcraft are involved.

Imagine my shock to find that the 911 is driven to such dizzying speeds by nothing less than the howling ghost of Dr. Porsche...

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:25:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

that's where the tesseract goes.

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:29:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Cup holders are an after thought on German cars.

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:32:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

For a long time, the Germans resisted the idea of having cup holders - Felt that they didn't belong in an automobile.

View Quote

German car engineer when asked to add a cup holder to their Porsche/BMW/Audi/Mercedes design for the American market.

“Do their coffee tables have a steering wheel?”
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
are Danes a Germanic people..?
View Quote

The Dutch are sometimes referred to as Swamp Germans and the Germans as Mountain Dutch
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:38:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the plus side, they would be the finest quality ball bearings to ever be utilized on a ball bat, but you would probably have to check their tolerances every 100 at bats.

Fag!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18716/8A1AFAB0-FC74-4C50-A044-F6A701A3A447-1893513.jpg

Not that there's anything wrong with that
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#14]
The saying goes something like what self respecting German engineer would use 3 screws when 8 to 12 would suffice?
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:45:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:47:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This.
WTF is their love of ball joints all about?
And wheel bolts vs studs and nuts...
And the 10" long starter bolt that screws through two different threaded holes on the VW tdi diesels...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This.
WTF is their love of ball joints all about?
And wheel bolts vs studs and nuts...
And the 10" long starter bolt that screws through two different threaded holes on the VW tdi diesels...

All those links position the tire contact patch in an optimized way throughout the travel of the suspension.  

The rest I am scratching my head at, too.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Mercedes W124 4matic front suspension.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I'm shocked ze German engineers didn't create a complicated mess of right angle portal gearing or something.  Nope, we'll just stretch the spring to clear the axle.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:57:38 AM EDT
[#18]
The products of German engineering teams  are designed to live within a German maintenance ecosystem.   Once they leave that, all bets are off.
Your typical Rolf Zwei-Stein is not going to tune up his car, where Joe Six-Pack just might.
I worked with Germans and Swiss-Germans for years.  They like to have someone that knows what they are doing work on almost anything, and that level of competence is not terribly variable to them.  They used to be a little horrified about my habit of "Do it by your own" on auto repairs, home repair, and even painting the house.
If your customer base is used to having highly trained people with specialized tools working on stuff, you can kind of design to that, and build what you think is best.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:02:48 AM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes

Meh.  Their 4 stroke string trimmers still have to run on a mix of gas and 2 cycle oil.

My Husqvarna with the 4 stroke 25cc Honda engine > my dad's Stihl 4Mix smoke and fume generator with string trimming accessory
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:03:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

All those links position the tire contact patch in an optimized way throughout the travel of the suspension.  

The rest I am scratching my head at, too.
View Quote

partially because its just a drawing, but multi link suspension does a great job of keeping contact while the suspension compresses, they also keep the toe at a constant rate so the vehicle does not pull (as much) while either extending down (pot hole) or compressing on one side (bump)

the unfortunate part is most alignment shops neglect the raised toe setting when doing an alignment.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:04:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Discuss.

@DK-Prof
View Quote

but DK-Prof is not German

why would you not ask @Zhukov ?
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:08:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

@OUSooner

I am torn between putting you on my ignore list or asking where you got that.
View Quote

LOL that is straight out of my daughters 2015 BMW X1. When you remove the cup holder there is actually a place to keep in in the center console. But I can't ride in the passenger seat when she is using that thing as my leg hits it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:26:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Footage – 918 Spyder manufactory: behind-the-scenes

Was looking for an equivalent video for an American car builder and all that came up was this:

Hilarious orangutan does everything to get his friends attention
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:29:47 AM EDT
[#25]
I do not understand the fascination with German engineering.  Their engineering is absolute shit.   I've owned enough BMW's and worked on enough Audi's, VW's and Mercedes with buddies to have seen this up close.

everything is overly complex, and often fragile.

Japanese and American engineering I think is generally better. They get to the same solutions but often in a simpler way.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
At least for guns, the MK23 speaks for itself.

SOCOM comes up with a feature wishlist for OHWS, some of which sound ridiculous and borderline physically impossible, and they don't really care about the cost.

- Most manufacturers just go "nope" right off the bat
- Colt makes a half-hearted attempt and ticks like half the boxes
- Krauts at H&K say, "You don't care what it costs? Ausgezeichtnet, give us a few months" and produce the indestructible wish pistol with a price four times that of a normal pistol.
View Quote

A pistol the size of a big-ass magnum revolver, capable of 30K+ service life with zero breakages, and insane accuracy of 1 inch or less at 25 yards after endurance testing.

If it wasn’t ungodly huge, that thing would be damn near perfect.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The products of German engineering teams  are designed to live within a German maintenance ecosystem.   Once they leave that, all bets are off.
Your typical Rolf Zwei-Stein is not going to tune up his car, where Joe Six-Pack just might.
I worked with Germans and Swiss-Germans for years.  They like to have someone that knows what they are doing work on almost anything, and that level of competence is not terribly variable to them.  They used to be a little horrified about my habit of "Do it by your own" on auto repairs, home repair, and even painting the house.
If your customer base is used to having highly trained people with specialized tools working on stuff, you can kind of design to that, and build what you think is best.
View Quote

Good explanation, and what I was trying to hit at. Someone posted about their pistol grips requiring a special wrench no normal human would possess. That's not an accident, the manufacturer doesn't want you taking your pistol apart. It's the exact reason I don't buy off the EE...the average shade tree mechanic is a train wreck looking for a trestle to "improve".

BTW, read the instructions for a Browning pump shotgun. Same thing, and a BPS for run for decades with a basic washout, but there are multiple vids that have to explain how to reassemble your pump because "I field strip all mah guns".
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:50:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 11:17:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
When it comes to mechanical engineering contrivances...I stick to the notion that those who truly understand it can make it simple.

If something lacks complexity and works really well, the designer understood the problem and solution really well.  Complexity is not inherently a sign of superior design.
View Quote

All of this.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 11:18:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Attachment Attached File

I want a rifle that is the same size and weight as the bolt-action K98k, and chambered for the same cartridge.
But it has to be select-fire.
And reasonably controllable in full-auto.
And it has to have a bipod.
And it has to fire from open-bolt on full auto, and closed bolt on semi.
Oh, yeah - and it has to have a bayonet. Any kind will do.

Impossible set of requirements, and yet, they did it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:39:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
but DK-Prof is not German

why would you not ask @Zhukov ?
View Quote

Eh, he's Dutch, close enuf.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Their design, machining, steel and heat treating is world class. Their printing equipment doesn't suck.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThSRfoikBtcUCMOtvjDtKRtJnw1gWgf4ESBQ&usqp=CAU
View Quote

The problem is you left out the fact that is there home model and the ink canister fill technician making a house call.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:52:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Germans mastered dispersed industry, Albert Speer is interesting. He got out of prison frequently to give talks on industry.

Imagine building ME-262s out of Austrian caves. Some of their best production years were often 1944 or 1945 (if production that year continued on).
View Quote

Since Germans have a tendency to over-engineer everything, putting them under stress seems to bring out the technology wunderkind.  Look at all the weapon innovations from WWII:
Panther tank
ME-262
V-2
MP44
Nebelwerfer
Fritz-X and HS293 guided glide bombs
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#35]
German helicopter component design -  "Make it expensive, complicated and difficult to source"

French helicopter component design - "If it can be done with tape, yarn or paper clips, assemble and give it a part number."
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I do not understand the fascination with German engineering.  Their engineering is absolute shit.   I've owned enough BMW's and worked on enough Audi's, VW's and Mercedes with buddies to have seen this up close.

Japanese and American engineering I think is generally better. They get to the same solutions but often in a simpler way.
View Quote
*Laughs in Mauser bolt action*

Nothing over-engineered about it and it was the gold standard of bolt actions. It was copied by virtually everyone.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Why design something with 4 parts when 37 will do?
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:26:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Nothing over-engineered about it and it was the gold standard of bolt actions. It was copied by virtually everyone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed. The Mauser action is the standard by which all bolt actions are judged, and has been for 120 years.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#39]
They make great tack-driving pellet rifles...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

A total misunderstanding of why.

That engine also fits in places designed for a 3.0v6 and 2.0 4cyl.
View Quote

Which only makes it even more ridiculous: Design a engine with thousands of extra parts - and then stuff it into an engine compartment too small to access most of them.

It's retardation, compounded by even more retardation.

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 3:22:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Which only makes it even more ridiculous: Design a engine with thousands of extra parts - and then stuff it into an engine compartment too small to access most of them.

It's retardation, compounded by even more retardation.

View Quote

let me get this right, its dumb because you don't understand the reasons, so that makes it dumber.

This compact design allowed the engine and a few variations to be used in a number of chassis, from the S4/RS4, R8, Touareg, A6/RS6, and Q7. they probably used it a few other places as well.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Eh, he's Dutch, close enuf.  

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EeCW-nGXoAE2h5o.jpg

?  War w/ DK-Prof?  Psssh.  He's Dutch!  I'll just flood his front lawn!
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 4:22:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  Eh, he's Dutch, close enuf.  

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EeCW-nGXoAE2h5o.jpg

DK-Prof is not Dutch

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:  DK-Prof is not Dutch
View Quote

Low lying European country, conquered by ze Germans in hours, talks funny, don't produce cars, provides tiny bit of cannon fodder to NATO, name of country starts w/ D - not Dutch?
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 6:41:57 PM EDT
[#45]
A brilliant and quite entertaining study of German vs. Italian mindset in rally racing:

Clarkson's favoriete Rally Battle: Audi Quattro VS. Lancia 037 | The Grand Tour | Prime Video NL

Link Posted: 4/6/2021 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

A pistol the size of a big-ass magnum revolver, capable of 30K+ service life with zero breakages, and insane accuracy of 1 inch or less at 25 yards after endurance testing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SOCOM comes up with a feature wishlist for OHWS, some of which sound ridiculous and borderline physically impossible, and they don't really care about the cost.

- Krauts at H&K say, "You don't care what it costs? Ausgezeichtnet, give us a few months" and produce the indestructible wish pistol with a price four times that of a normal pistol.

Maybe even higher than that. Federal's USP they use for ammunition testing is still on all original parts except for small wear parts like springs and whatnot. Barrel, slide, and frame are all original. They send it back to HK for service checkups at regular intervals and I think the HK armorer last reported it was at 270,000 rounds.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

let me get this right, its dumb because you don't understand the reasons, so that makes it dumber.

This compact design allowed the engine and a few variations to be used in a number of chassis, from the S4/RS4, R8, Touareg, A6/RS6, and Q7. they probably used it a few other places as well.
View Quote

That's very Teutonic of you: "Your inferior mind is incapable of understanding the brilliance of our design!"
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:42:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Maybe even higher than that. Federal's USP they use for ammunition testing is still on all original parts except for small wear parts like springs and whatnot. Barrel, slide, and frame are all original. They send it back to HK for service checkups at regular intervals and I think the HK armorer last reported it was at 270,000 rounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember that... Years ago. Well over 300K by now, I’d imagine.

I’m more impressed by the Mk23’s accuracy after 30K rounds of 185Gr +P. That dinky little o-ring is fucking genius, I’m shocked more manufacturers don’t use that to get match accuracy from service pistols.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top