User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/10/2021 9:42:13 AM EDT
Anyone here use and/or collect em'?
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I have 3 I think.  A pipe specific one, my favorite truck (skateboard) brand, and one that belonged to my wife's brother.
I'll post pics.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 9:46:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Useless. They dry out in days and can't light anything till you find the stupid refill bottle.

Bic lighters ftw
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I’ve got a few that I’ve collected over the years. Oldest one I have is from 1968 that was recently given to me. I don’t smoke or really use them. Last one I bought was a 2020 Cthulhu one. Seemed appropriate given the fucked up times we live in.

I’ll take some pics after work.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 9:48:19 AM EDT
[#4]
The butane inserts are nice. I just won't end up using it with the wick insert installed.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 9:48:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Picked up a few over the years that make me smile, just never gotten around to displaying them.

I carry one most of the time (don't smoke, just the occasional cigar, but always keep matches or lighter nearby) that I put a two burner butane insert.  Makes more sense than liquid fuel if you don't use it a lot.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a dozen or so, though I do not collect them per se. I only use one as a table/desk lighter, never carry one. That one is from the 70's with my dads initials on it, gift from a company he worked for.

A friend collects them, probably has 50. He sent a bunch back to Zippo, and they refurbished them all for free with a quick turn around time.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 9:51:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a few, one my dad bought on the ship on the way to Vietnam in 1965. He was in the group that did the beach landings.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 9:57:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Ive got a couple that Ive been gifted over the years including a really nice one and then several that Ive found over the years in cleanouts.
I just save them so my kids can get a few bucks for them at my estate auction someday. They always seem to sell well at farm/estate auctions.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a couple of these

Link Posted: 12/10/2021 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Used them exclusively back in the day…got tired of them “burning” my thigh from leaking into my pocket so I had a biker leather guy fashion me a leather Zippo holster with a Buffalo nickel snap. Pretty little thing thatI still keep in my desk drawer “for looking at.” The Zippos are long gone as I quit the habit in 1978.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 10:00:57 AM EDT
[#11]
yeah, I got a half dozen or so. Not a collection really, just some I've had over the years that got replaced by the next one.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#12]
You know the difference tween a hippo and a zippo?

Ones pretty heavy. The other is a little lighter
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#13]
When I was in the Army, I had several. They were a cool novelty. Too much to fuck with though, when I want too light a smoke, I want to light a smoke, not constantly refill the damn thing. Modern technology in the 99 cent bic makes them obsolete.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 10:04:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I had one custom engraved from my unit. I carried it for years even though I don't smoke. I got tired of it always being dry, even though I filled it weekly. My son also bought me one when he graduated basic. I have never used that
one. They are an interesting piece of history though.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Useless. They dry out in days and can't light anything till you find the stupid refill bottle.

Bic lighters ftw
View Quote

This.  I have one in the top of my toolbox in the garage.  Damn thing dries out in days.  Useless
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 10:07:07 AM EDT
[#16]
No zippo but I carry a plasma lighter. USB rechargeable, way hotter flame than a Zippo or bic as it is a plasma arc. I don't smoke but it's always good to have flamage.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 10:08:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Really no reason to carry a zippo anymore. They're cool to fling open and light but that's just about it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I quit smoking but still carry a Zippo with the dual flame butane insert.

Collect? No.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I only have 3.  Polished Nickel, Brass and Sterling Silver, all heavy/armor cases.

I’d buy a gold one if the price were anywhere remotely near spot for gold. But a 2oz 18k gold zippo is like $20k

IMO, black nickel is the best looking zippo. I think it’s called Black ICE.  It’s not “black”, but it’s got a deep color to it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 10:25:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Sorta want a Zippo hand warmer.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Carry one daily. Carry a bic too. Give it a squirt of fluid every couple days it is good to go. Keep fluid stashed at work/home/truck for just in case. Have one with the gas insert. Bought a lifetime supply of flints online once for super cheap. Makes me happy, I'm good.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#22]
carry and use one.

just gotta refuel it every week and do some PM.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 10:39:30 AM EDT
[#23]
I used them when I smoked in my youth. New Zippos and generic knock-offs. They'd always dry-out within a day or two. It was more about style than practicality, though.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Get the small one.  It’s easier to carry and lasts long enough that you’ll certainly have a moment to fuel it if it runs low.  Heat output is similar, the only difference is the capacity.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Free to anyone who can prove they were at An Son.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 10:58:17 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a few that belonged to my brother. He carried them when he was deployed over seas. Later he used them in his stays in the military hospitals. To this day when I smell lighter fluid I see him lighting up a Lucky or a Marlboro. Sorry, it’s dusty in here.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Zippos are one of those things that should have gone away decades ago but people cling to them out of nostalgia because grandpappy had one. They are large, heavy, cumbersome, unreliable and maintenance intensive compared to the modern alternatives. In short, they are the 1911s of the lighter world.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#28]
I just picked up my first one. Do they ship without lighter fluid in them, because mine just sparks and doesn’t light up.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:02:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Get a Peacock.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:02:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I just picked up my first one. Do they ship without lighter fluid in them, because mine just sparks and doesn't light up.
View Quote
they ship dry.

you'll need to fuel it up.

a quart of coleman fuel or naptha is much cheaper than zippo fluid and is basically the same thing.

https://www.amazon.com/2-Pack-VM-NAPTHA-QT-KLEAN-STRIP/dp/B01LWRQPWK

Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Zippos are one of those things that should have gone away decades ago but people cling to them out of nostalgia because grandpappy had one. They are large, heavy, cumbersome, unreliable and maintenance intensive compared to the modern alternatives. In short, they are the 1911s of the lighter world.
View Quote
i carry and use a zippo because it's fuckin' cold up here and butane lighters don't like cold.

have never gotten around to getting a 1911 but i want an SA35.

Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:03:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have a few that belonged to my brother. He carried them when he was deployed over seas. Later he used them in his stays in the military hospitals. To this day when I smell lighter fluid I see him lighting up a Lucky or a Marlboro. Sorry, it's dusty in here.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
they ship dry. you'll need to fuel it up.

a quart of coleman fuel or naptha is much cheaper than zippo fluid and is basically the same thing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just picked up my first one. Do they ship without lighter fluid in them, because mine just sparks and doesn't light up.
they ship dry. you'll need to fuel it up.

Thanks. I’ll stop wasting my flint now.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thanks. I'll stop wasting my flint now.
View Quote
other tip:  scavenge any dead bics you find and pull out the flint.

cut those in half (they're too long to fit in a zippo) and you'll have a lifetime supply of free flints.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#35]
I used them back in the day.  Bic caused their demise.  But I haven't smoke in 15 years.  If I still smoked, I might invest in one.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Bic lighters ftw
View Quote

This^

Bought one to have for my survival/bug out gear.

Useless. A buck is 100 times better. Buy them by the 5 pack.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Anyone here use and/or collect em'?
View Quote

I got some nice Zippo's when I was in Afghanistan and Iraq.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Here's what I found in my computer desk drawer. I have at least 5-6 more in my safe, all NIB, including a Marlboro red one. Just checked the date code on the brass one, it's from 1974. The smaller thing is a Zippo tape measure, 6' I think.

My collector buddy has been trying to talk me out of the tape and black one for years. I have no attachment to them, just like playing hard to get

Of course none of them work, no fuel.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#40]
I have one somewhere but stopped using it

Burn on leg from over filling to running out in the middle of the day

I stopped smoking a few years ago but hadnt used it in at least 10 years.

Bought it in 92
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:23:21 AM EDT
[#41]
I have a couple from Ships I was on... Can anyone recommend who could repair putting, tacking back on the tops? The part that flips open...
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#42]

Couple of the ones I picked up through the years.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:24:48 AM EDT
[#43]
20+ years ago, the Automation company I work for did several projects for Zippo, all towards the creation of their first butane model.

It was called "Blue Flame", and is seen picture below. We engineered and built several machines that put together the (mostly) internal components that made up the Fill Valve, a Metering Valve, and the Burn Unit that they called a Carburetor.

It was one of those funny situations where Marketing got out in front of Engineering, and the butane tank ended up with a fatal flaw:

During either DOT of FAA testing, (forget which), the entire pressurized lighter assembly was subjected to a series of simulated altitude change/loss of of atmospheric pressure tests, and the fuel tanks either cracked or burst, which was considered a catastrophic failure mode.

Zippo had already spent MILLIONS in the development of all this machinery, to include the injection-molding tooling that produced the plastic tanks, which are exceedingly expensive and nearly impossible to alter.

Long story short, Zippo abandoned this product line completely before it even got out of Beta-Phase testing, but I do see portions of the same technology used in the Double Torch butane insert that other posters mentioned upthread.

I've still got one or two of the finished tanks and a bunch of the loose parts in a toolbox at home, might post some pics later if I don't brain-fart and forget to do so.

" />
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have a couple from Ships I was on... Can anyone recommend who could repair putting, tacking back on the tops? The part that flips open...
View Quote

Zippo will repair them free of charge. Rework the hinge, new wick, packing and spare flints. They usually pay shipping both ways too.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#45]
I have a few.

A bfl one

One that was my grandpa's, he was a farmer and always wore bib overalls.
He have a pack of Chesterfields, his zippo, and his pocket watch in the front.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:35:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Pretty much useless, unless you get the butane insert.  Once I got the butane insert it was a great cigar lighter
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:37:42 AM EDT
[#47]
A beat up zippo shell:

With a nice dual flame butane insert:

Is nice:
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:38:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Zippos are a nice piece of history. If you like Americana, then a Zippo is a great accessory to have.  Same as a Case pocket knife. Both played a role in our nations history and served our forefathers well.

Are there better designs?  Sure. But that is not what it is about for some people. It is the slowing down that is important, whether the person realizes it or not.  With an old style pocket knife, one has to use both hands to open it, that takes time to do. Sometimes those old blades were made with carbon steel. Those blades have to be oiled, and cleaned, and sharpened.

Same with a Zippo. It has to be filled. The cap has to be lifted, flints have to be changed out. Wicks have to be changed out. All of this takes time and in a small way, the use of these tools allows a person to slow down and enjoy quality craftsmanship, and relax for maybe just a minute.

In a "disposable" world, it is nice to have an object that will be there and one that can be treasured for years and even passed down to further generations to enjoy.  Will a kid remember his dad's old Bic lighter?

I have several Zippos and quality traditional knives for those reasons alone. I only smoke a pipe occasionally and never cigarettes.  I use matches or a Zippo to light my pipes. Pipes are also a way to slow down and use that time to reflect and enjoy life, rather than being in a hurry all of the time.

And i guess one could say the same for revolvers and 1911s. They force you to slow down when you reload them. In a 1911's case, you spend more time reloading the low capacity mag...lol
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Bic lighters ftw
View Quote

Right, unless you smoke all day long, it isn't worth it.   Filling them up just to have around the house for occasional use or playing with them, they dry out in 5 days or so
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Used them exclusively back in the daygot tired of them "burning" my thigh from leaking into my pocket so I had a biker leather guy fashion me a leather Zippo holster with a Buffalo nickel snap. Pretty little thing thatI still keep in my desk drawer "for looking at." The Zippos are long gone as I quit the habit in 1978.
View Quote
Same. I still have my Eagle/Globe/Anchor Zippo in my desk drawer. Used to have a pipe lighter Zippo at one point. Actually used it for pipe tobacco instead of anything "greener". That was never my thing.

Gave up nicotine 19 years ago.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top