BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I always preferred a Zippo when I smoked, but I quit smoking about 7 years ago. Zippo’s are good, reliable lighters for a smoker who uses one every day since it’s not that hard to remember to fill it up every couple days. They’re not good lighters for occasional, non-smoker use since they’ll dry out on their own after a week or so. BIC lighters are superior for occasional uses.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Zippo is the best lighter available.

I keep some flints in the bottom of the lighter and some fluid in my tool box.

I hate bics because of their inability to stay lit in even a small breeze.

Zippos are the cheapest lighters to use.  A $3 can of fluid will last over a year.

I use a WWII version in black crackle
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 12:13:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a few. I use this one every day. Had it since 1993. (Check the bottom for the date code.)

Link Posted: 12/10/2021 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to collect them when I smoked. I ordered a set of collectors Steelers ones. As well as some other collectable ones. Now I don't see the point I'll never use a zippp.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 12:22:11 PM EDT
[#7]
They are great at what they do.   If they could figure out how to keep them from drying out they would be nearly perfect.   If I was going to be outdoors in a windy area camping it would be the fire-starter item I would pack.

For pure utility the butane lighters that give a pinpoint flame are the most useful.  They burn much hotter and can ignite almost anything.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the sounds a zippo makes, but they are impractical.

Back in my bar crawling days I carried one but keeping it filled and dealing with naptha stink and chemical burns got old.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 12:30:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Butane insert is nice. The wick style suck and dry out.  Like them, but there are better things out there now.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a bunch around somewhere. The only cool ones I have are limited Copper zippo from around 2000. I also have some vintage repros based on versions from the 1930s or 40s. I love Zippos but don't really use them, just collect.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a bunch around somewhere. The only cool ones I have are limited Copper zippo from around 2000. I also have some vintage repros based on versions from the 1930s or 40s. I love Zippos but don't really use them, just collect.
View Quote
man, i'd love to find one of those copper zippos.

or the titanium zippo.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Interesting piece of history. I remember when they started advertising that butane line of lighters. Too bad they didn't get off the ground.

My granddad used the old scripto vu lighters. They had clear tanks with little cutout scenes or trinkets inside. His all had golf or hunting scenes. They laid around on the end tables and such and I always got in trouble playing with them. I thought they made a butane version at one point.

https://www.etsy.com/market/scripto_vu_lighter
View Quote

Thanks TNC!

I agree, it's a damn shame they never got a chance to see how the market reacted, especially after all the $$$ that Zippo just pissed away.

Oh, well, we got paid for our part in it, AND I got to tour the Zippo plant in Bradford PA in the bargain, which was pretty dang cool.

I also learned my daily nugget of info right here on ARFCOM, concerning their new butane dual-flame insert, which I didn't even know existed!

Thus enlightened, I'm going home for the rest of the day.....

Link Posted: 12/10/2021 1:56:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Butane insert is nice. The wick style suck and dry out.  Like them, but there are better things out there now.
View Quote
All of mine have the original wicks, no issues. I refill once a week. I've had some that sat in a box for 20 years. Fill them up with fluid, work like new.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I used mine for many years back when I smoked. I don't think I ever ran out of fuel but I did go through flints. A buddy told me to stash an extra flint in the bottom. I ended up getting a butane lighter that was like a zippo but the thing kept running out of fuel.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 2:04:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Have a maybe 6-7 different ones.

Fuel does last quite awhile for me.
Have thought about getting a butane inset for one I use the most.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 2:05:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a Geissele Zippo with a butane insert that I carry dailyAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 2:15:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I prefer the Thunderbird yellow flame butane insert.  
Replicates the standard Zippo flame and can be set down on a flat sturdy surface for light.

My kids use the ones I gave them from my collection to do cave tours at Scout camp to demonstrate 1 candle power in the total darkness of the cave.

Pretty cool with the insert which removes about 90% of the downsides of a Zippo.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't collect them, but I've carried the same Zippo everyday since 1991. I don't even smoke, but i don't leave the house without a pocket knife, a pen, and my Zippo.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#19]
A Zippo lighter is worthless as a lighter. Nothing says "quality" like a complete Fuel supply evaporating in acouple days.

The handwarm however, is excellent.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Had one in the Army and continued to use one until I quit smoking, its somewhere at the house.  Zippos are more manly than a plastic Bic.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 2:32:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I daily carry one, and they work great. The fuel will run dry, but unless you're using it a shit ton it'll last a week easy. Just check the flint length, and top off the fluid on Sunday afternoon while you touch up your edc knife and clean your carry gun. If you don't maintain your stuff and would rather sit on the couch and watch tv, there are better options for you.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A Zippo lighter is worthless as a lighter. Nothing says "quality" like a complete Fuel supply evaporating in acouple days.

The handwarm however, is excellent.
View Quote

Which is why you get a butane insert
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 3:59:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I daily carry one, and they work great. The fuel will run dry, but unless you're using it a shit ton it'll last a week easy. Just check the flint length, and top off the fluid on Sunday afternoon while you touch up your edc knife and clean your carry gun. If you don't maintain your stuff and would rather sit on the couch and watch tv, there are better options for you.
View Quote
are you me?
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
dunno, man.

i love that petroleum smell and greasy feel from fueling my zippos with coleman fuel.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 4:07:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
dunno, man.

i love that petroleum smell and greasy feel from fueling my zippos with coleman fuel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

dunno, man.

Link Posted: 12/10/2021 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I could light a smoke at 30 mph on my Harley.  Pulling the wick up a bit and spreading it out some really helps them light easy.

Now I don't smoke and rarely ride.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 4:31:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I had one I carried for a while when I smoked.

I liked them.  I didn't like when I'd overfill and it'd burn the shit out of my thigh...usually when I was at the bar.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Useless. They dry out in days and can't light anything till you find the stupid refill bottle.

Bic lighters ftw
View Quote

Agreed. I put a Bic in my work tool cabinet. I use it to occasionally h light torches and burn frayed rope ends. I know it is at least 17 years old. A while back i backlit it to see how much fuel was lefr. It is still 1/3rd full.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Useless. They dry out in days and can't light anything till you find the stupid refill bottle.

Bic lighters ftw
View Quote

But in the movies they are always full of fluid, even after sitting for years.  They also like to throw them away when they start a fire.  They always throw the lighter down.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#31]
I have one somewhere.

It's a brass one with "The Saw is Family" engraved on it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Bic lighters ftw
View Quote

also... the damn things would leak in you pocket and the Zitto fluid burned like on hell on your leg.

BIC lighters FTW!!    
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have a few. I use this one every day. Had it since 1993. (Check the bottom for the date code.)

https://i.imgur.com/v9KIYyA.jpg
View Quote

I have that lighter myself.  Sailing ship right?
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#34]
I have one with a butane conversion.  I carry it all the time to light cigars and to seal up paracord. (arfcom BFL zippo)
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Sorta want a Zippo hand warmer.
View Quote

Same

Off to the 'zon
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:24:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 4:15:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Bic lighters ftw
View Quote

My experience as well. My Zippo just sits on a closet shelf.

Link Posted: 12/11/2021 4:40:28 AM EDT
[#38]
I've got a few well worn old ones. A lot of WELL worn Japanese counterfeits (grandpa was cheap), and two or three of those super old wide lighters that had the lever style lighting mechanism.

Quoted:

Bic lighters ftw

View Quote

They're obsolete now (well without a sealed insert anyway), but at the time they were the bees knees.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:01:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Bic lighters ftw
View Quote
My experience as well.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:02:34 AM EDT
[#40]
I used them sometimes when I smoked, but I quit 9 years ago. It was often inconvenient having to refill them (they always needed refilling at the most inopportune times). I never collected them really but I still have a few of them that were cool or have some sentimental value - one plain Zippo that belonged to my best friend who died in 2007, one that looks like a Camel Cigarette pack in a collector tin thing, a Jim Beam one that my brother gave me on my 19th birthday, and one with a Confederate Flag on it that I bought from the corner store on a whim a few years ago when the push to ban all things Confederate began.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:16:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:21:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Zippos are one of those things that should have gone away decades ago but people cling to them out of nostalgia because grandpappy had one. They are large, heavy, cumbersome, unreliable and maintenance intensive compared to the modern alternatives. In short, they are the 1911s of the lighter world.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2021 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

20+ years ago, the Automation company I work for did several projects for Zippo, all towards the creation of their first butane model.

It was called "Blue Flame", and is seen picture below. We engineered and built several machines that put together the (mostly) internal components that made up the Fill Valve, a Metering Valve, and the Burn Unit that they called a Carburetor.

It was one of those funny situations where Marketing got out in front of Engineering, and the butane tank ended up with a fatal flaw:

During either DOT of FAA testing, (forget which), the entire pressurized lighter assembly was subjected to a series of simulated altitude change/loss of of atmospheric pressure tests, and the fuel tanks either cracked or burst, which was considered a catastrophic failure mode.

Zippo had already spent MILLIONS in the development of all this machinery, to include the injection-molding tooling that produced the plastic tanks, which are exceedingly expensive and nearly impossible to alter.

Long story short, Zippo abandoned this product line completely before it even got out of Beta-Phase testing, but I do see portions of the same technology used in the Double Torch butane insert that other posters mentioned upthread.

I've still got one or two of the finished tanks and a bunch of the loose parts in a toolbox at home, might post some pics later if I don't brain-fart and forget to do so.

https://i.postimg.cc/MGNzb4Xh/zippo-blue-flame.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.postimg.cc/MGNzb4Xh/zippo-blue-flame.jpg

View Quote

Quoted mysef to save re-telling the story.

Below are the innards of Zippo's failed "Blu Flame" attempt, along with a bunch of loose parts that make up the sub-assemblies listed above.

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 9:25:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Zippos are one of those things that should have gone away decades ago but people cling to them out of nostalgia because grandpappy had one. They are large, heavy, cumbersome, unreliable and maintenance intensive compared to the modern alternatives. In short, they are the 1911s of the lighter world.
View Quote

God forbid that one should take a few minutes to PM their gear.
Your entire post is just bs babble.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Have a few as souvenirs from places I have served.

Picked up these to make them practical.

Arc lighter insert

Can charge it anywhere and a neat gizmo.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 9:54:08 AM EDT
[#46]
I started running with the wrong crowd and picked up smoking at 15 in 1993. Stole (I'm not proud of this) a brass zippo which I still have to this day. I quit smoking 3 years ago but I can still do some trick with that zippo, just never fill it. It's my only one.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#47]
I've got a few. Haven't smoked since 82 though.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Pretty much useless, unless you get the butane insert.  Once I got the butane insert it was a great cigar lighter
View Quote

That's what I use mine for, and it works even better since I took it apart and adjusted the adjuster. Google "Zippo butane insert won't stay lit". Picked it up at the big knife store in NC.

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#49]
The Austrian IMCO lighters are superior in very way to a zippo

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:50:06 AM EDT
[#50]

@basp2005

That Indy lighter is awesome!
I had a zippo in my teens that had the Spitfire bighead logo engraved in it.
Lost it in lake Erie on a fishing trip
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top