Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It shouldn't be "fraud" when there is a simple coding error- Everyone can probably agree on that. By the same token, they SHOULD care about accuracy and not overpay due to errors, and unfortunately, there is a line somewhere where "simple coding errors" do become actual fraud.

In programs as large as the Medicare/Medicaid programs are, there is a significant amount of actual fraud and much of it goes undiscovered. One way to discourage others from thinking about committing fraud is essentially to make Draconian examples of those who mess up. "Kill one, terrorize a thousand"....In a program that large, it's about their only hope of compliance.
View Quote
The government shouldn't be doing draconian things that destroy people just to make a point.  The Eighth Amendment to the United States Constitution states: “Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.”

Certainly there is fraud and it should be punished, however, the way the do it now is downright evil.  You're not going to be "investigated for fraud" by law enforcement agents.  Medicare (thanks to Obama) contracts out your "investigation" to a private for profit company who is paid by a percentage of how much they can squeeze out of you.  They come in, audit your charts and look for the tiniest of coding errors.  Let's say they sample 100 charts. Let's say that they fine ONE coding error.  That's "fraud" and they take the money back from you and give you a $10,000 dollar fine on top of that.

Then, they figure out how many medicare patient visits your practice sees in a year, going back 5 years.  Let's say your practice has about a 1000 medicare visits in a year (not that large, a 5 doc practice could easily reach those numbers). So that's 5000 medicare visits the last 5 years.  The extrapolate your one case of "fraud" to a "fraudulent billing rate" of  1% and then determine that with a 1% fraud rate, you MUST have fraudulently billed 1% of those 5000 visits in the last 5 years for an extrapolated 50 counts of fraud that carry a 10,000 dollar fine each. They slap a $500,000 fine on the doctor, ruining him.  

Good people have killed themselves after such a fiasco.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:58:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The entire medical industry engaged in fraud, racketeering, price fixing, and monopolistic pricing.

Wake me up when they start prosecuting all of that.  Anti-trust laws are violated by all of them.
View Quote
Most of your hospitals and clinics are JACO certified.  You have to be in order to accept .gov insurances, it's why getting your accreditation threatened by fucking up is such a massive deal.  Medicaid and Medicare (plus VA, I assume but I never dealt with any billing from them, just authorizations) have a fixed price schedule.  So if a colonoscopy costs $12k instead of $8k because they needed extra anesthesia or 5 gallons of specialized lube, the .gov will only pay their set X% of it.  So if you go over cost, you have to eat it.  If you go under because it was super easy, you can't bill out below their price as well, because they get really pissy about that.

Not to mention that current medical pricing is subsidizing the people without insurance, those that don't pay, medication costs to Europe, etc.  That's why you see $200 things of abd pads on bills.  Because Juan Valdez with no insurance, or Shaquanisha, or Billy Bob don't pay, don't have coverage, etc, so their bills get rolled into everyone else's to keep the lights on.  Doesn't help that the .gov takes 4-12 months to pay as well.

So while you are right on the price fixing, the massive chunk of that blame lies on the shoulders of good ol' Uncle Sugar.     Can't charge less than what they'd accept for a service after all.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:00:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
"But but but Sessions hates my marijuana." " Worst appointment by Trump."  "Too old school Bible thumping Republican."  "Fuck Sessions"

That's the GD opinion of him so this must not be a good thing.
View Quote
I also LMAO'ed.

"But....   muh chronic......."
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
1.3 billion.  Wow!  What percentage of the 13.6 trillion dollar debt is that?
View Quote
More than 0%
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:01:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Reads like 'pissed into ocean, caused coastal flooding'.

Financially it'll provide the same boom as Joe Blow finding $0.25 on street. In reality, if politicians see 1.6 billion saved - they'll spend 10.6 billion.

Want to color me impressed?  Get some of the American trillions looted by the banks and con-gressmen. While it's a lot to one man, a billion ain't shit when it took a $999 million in man hours to get it and we're still 20 trillion in debt.
View Quote
You're not exactly wrong, but dismissing the billion as being trivial is the same attitude politicians have and IS exactly why the country is in the shitter...
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:06:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
You'd make a great politician...
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:10:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Huh... just read in another thread that sessions was the worst.
View Quote
He's not bad on this.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Slight problem with your logic. 8+ year investigation. So unless Trump is lending out his time machine, it's not exactly a Sessions thing. Just landed in his lap. A billion + in fraud is still a nice penny though. 
View Quote
When the investigators finally got a boss they could trust, they brought this phase to a close.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not a great politician but a typical one....or maybe a CNN reporter.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You're not exactly wrong, but dismissing the billion as being trivial is the same attitude politicians have and IS exactly why the country is in the shitter...
View Quote
Yup.  Might be pennies, but it's still a fuckton of money to anyone but the .gov.  Hell that is about 1/10th of a Gerald R. Ford class (holy hell), two stealth bombers, or a ~12 fighter F-35 squadron (just the aircraft).  So it's not exactly insignificant either.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Dog and pony show.

They nabbed 412 suspects in what is possibly the most fraud ridden industry in America, and now they parade themselves around and want pats on the back.

That's some mighty fine police work.

Maybe next month they can wrangle up a few frauds using their welfare monies to buy drugs. Think it's doable?
View Quote
Not bad considering he's been in office less than six months.  Of course, those investigations almost certainly started longer ago, but the previous administration wasn't exactly known for going after fraud or drug dealers.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The entire medical industry engaged in fraud, racketeering, price fixing, and monopolistic pricing.

Wake me up when they start prosecuting all of that.  Anti-trust laws are violated by all of them.
View Quote
First you have to get the government out of guaranteeing their monopolies.  Can't open or expand a hospital in Georgia without a certificate of need, which will likely be denied if there is another facility in the area with that capability.  Hard to have competition to lower prices when competitors aren't allowed to build facilities.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:42:32 AM EDT
[#13]
He should arrest congress for theft
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:54:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Bingo!

Actually most haven't forgotten, they just don't want them enforced and would be happier with the Obama and Holder administration.
View Quote
I've seen that many folks don't want any laws inforced, except the ones their neighbor is breaking.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
He should arrest congress for theft
View Quote
This.

Start at the top.

"While today is a historic day, the Department's work is not finished. In fact, it is just beginning. We will continue to find, arrest, prosecute, convict, and incarcerate fraudsters and drug dealers wherever they are. We will use every tool we have to stop criminals from exploiting vulnerable people and stealing our hard-earned tax dollars. We are continuing to work hard to develop even more techniques to identify and prosecute wrongdoers.
We are sending a clear message to criminals across the country: we will find you. We will bring you to justice. And, you will pay a very high price for what you have done."

Seems that would apply to holder,hillary,most of the House and Sen ate,etc.......
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Meh, to me it's not about the money, it's all about the prosecutions and examples being made. As far as I am concerned they can use the money to build space to keep the fraud-meisters in.

Drops in the bucket you ignorant peeps say......Those drops fill the bucket by and by.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:31:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Fucking epic. This is what winning looks like.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Yet hilliary walks free. And Comey. And the rest of them. No Obamacare repeal, not tax plan.

When I had my first 2 knee arthroscopies I had plenty of pain management. When my knee was replaced I practically had to beg for the bare minimum.

I don't know where these people find doctors to give them something for pain. The ones around here just let you suffer, they are too afraid to prescribe it.

So I have no fucks to give about sessions and his personal vendetta. 
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Even a dumbass can occasionally get something correct.

Dude seriously needs to drop the pot needle thing. It's not helping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Huh... just read in another thread that sessions was the worst.

That's just your opinion.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Dog and pony show.

They nabbed 412 suspects in what is possibly the most fraud ridden industry in America, and now they parade themselves around and want pats on the back.

Maybe next month they can wrangle up a few frauds using their welfare monies to buy drugs. Think it's doable?
View Quote
Yes, you're right. They shouldn't have done anything at all.

Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:38:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Meh, to me it's not about the money, it's all about the prosecutions and examples being made. As far as I am concerned they can use the money to build space to keep the fraud-meisters in.

Drops in the bucket you ignorant peeps say......Those drops fill the bucket by and by.
View Quote
I just wonder who is being made an example of.Is it actual fraudsters,or is it bullshit stuff like NavyDoc pointed out?

Kind of like the IRS fucking over the little people,while the big guys go free.

This is a good start if legit and not just for show,but I still want to see hillary,holder,comey,etc...take freaking center stage for all their shit.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:45:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The government shouldn't be doing draconian things that destroy people just to make a point.  The Eighth Amendment to the United States Constitution states: “Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.”

Certainly there is fraud and it should be punished, however, the way the do it now is downright evil.  You're not going to be "investigated for fraud" by law enforcement agents.  Medicare (thanks to Obama) contracts out your "investigation" to a private for profit company who is paid by a percentage of how much they can squeeze out of you.  They come in, audit your charts and look for the tiniest of coding errors.  Let's say they sample 100 charts. Let's say that they fine ONE coding error.  That's "fraud" and they take the money back from you and give you a $10,000 dollar fine on top of that.

Then, they figure out how many medicare patient visits your practice sees in a year, going back 5 years.  Let's say your practice has about a 1000 medicare visits in a year (not that large, a 5 doc practice could easily reach those numbers). So that's 5000 medicare visits the last 5 years.  The extrapolate your one case of "fraud" to a "fraudulent billing rate" of  1% and then determine that with a 1% fraud rate, you MUST have fraudulently billed 1% of those 5000 visits in the last 5 years for an extrapolated 50 counts of fraud that carry a 10,000 dollar fine each. They slap a $500,000 fine on the doctor, ruining him.  

View Quote
I thought we liked "free market" solutions vs. more government agencies and mandates and expense? Isn't that what a private contractor is, a free market solution? I think that's much better than government agencies that end up being essentially bought off or rendered ineffective by Lobbyists and their paid politicians on behalf of the "regulated"........ I don't have a problem incentivizing them to root out fraud and corruption, seems like a reasonable way to handle the problem.

Now, whether or not the fines are too high etc...I can't say, not my area of expertise but I think they should sting- whatever level that means in the applicable case.... I certainly think there should be a way to fix or appeal honest mistakes because given a certain volume of work, in any field, there are going to be honest fuck ups, everyone is human, it happens.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:53:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I thought we liked "free market" solutions vs. more government agencies and mandates and expense? Isn't that what a private contractor is, a free market solution? I think that's much better than government agencies that end up being essentially bought off or rendered ineffective by Lobbyists and their paid politicians on behalf of the "regulated"........ I don't have a problem incentivizing them to root out fraud and corruption, seems like a reasonable way to handle the problem.

Now, whether or not the fines are too high etc...I can't say, not my area of expertise but I think they should sting- whatever level that means in the applicable case.... I certainly think there should be a way to fix or appeal honest mistakes because given a certain volume of work, in any field, there are going to be honest fuck ups, everyone is human, it happens.
View Quote
But it's not a free market solution.  It is giving a private company  the monopoly of extortion power over citizens with the power of the federal government behind it with he ability to make civil and criminal prosecutions.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Reads like 'pissed into ocean, caused coastal flooding'.

Financially it'll provide the same boom as Joe Blow finding $0.25 on street. In reality, if politicians see 1.6 billion saved - they'll spend 10.6 billion.

Want to color me impressed?  Get some of the American trillions looted by the banks and con-gressmen. While it's a lot to one man, a billion ain't shit when it took a $999 million in man hours to get it and we're still 20 trillion in debt.
View Quote
and most of the crybabies that say 1.3B is nothing will turn around a say 1.6B to get the border wall rolling is a King's ransom.

either way this is a START and most importantly it signals an attitude change with regards to dealing with waste fraud and abuse....

yea...its a DROP.....but every flood starts with a DROP.....
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Please, folks... read the good doctor's above post before you start cheering on Medicare "fraud" investigations.   It's not a good system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please, folks... read the good doctor's above post before you start cheering on Medicare "fraud" investigations.   It's not a good system.
Good info indeed, but it's not the concept of investigating Medicare fraud that's at fault, just the manner in which those investigations are apparently being carried out.  The more widely this type of info is distributed, the better.  For years much of it has fallen on deaf ears and blind eyes, but it seems that is beginning to change.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

But it's not a free market solution.  It is giving a private company  the monopoly of extortion power over citizens with the power of the federal government behind it with he ability to make civil and criminal prosecutions.
View Quote
But there is no guarantee the government will prosecute UNLESS they have sufficient evidence. If the "case" is bullshit, it's bullshit. Meaning, their power is limited to what they can prove/convince a Federal Prosecutor they can prove. No different than what the "police" would have to do if they felt a crime had been committed.

I rather like that they are incentivized to find the fraud vs. being threatened by a bought off Congressman with a loss of their budget etc... because the Lobbyists paid him off. Government agencies are captured all the time (the Fiasco that is the FDA and their role in the spread of Meth due to Big Pharma lobbying is a great example of this) medicine has the potential to be the worst for that given the amount of money involved.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:04:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
So your solution would be to do nothing to fight fraud?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Citation please?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Dog and pony show.

View Quote
A couple million here, couple million there, and pretty soon you end up 20 trillion in debt.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:18:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
First you have to get the government out of guaranteeing their monopolies.  Can't open or expand a hospital in Georgia without a certificate of need, which will likely be denied if there is another facility in the area with that capability.  Hard to have competition to lower prices when competitors aren't allowed to build facilities.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

Same as with ISP providers, only it's even worse in the medical field.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:23:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I just wonder who is being made an example of.Is it actual fraudsters,or is it bullshit stuff like NavyDoc pointed out?

Kind of like the IRS fucking over the little people,while the big guys go free.

This is a good start if legit and not just for show,but I still want to see hillary,holder,comey,etc...take freaking center stage for all their shit.
View Quote
NavyDoc is full of shit, use your common sense and if you do your common sense should dictate that you have to start somewhere.

IMHO if that somewhere is the low-hanging fruit then that's just fine by me.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
No, he's not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NavyDoc is full of shit, use your common sense and if you do your common sense should dictate that you have to start somewhere.

IMHO if that somewhere is the low-hanging fruit then that's just fine by me.
No, he's not.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No, he's not.

ETA:  and you'd do well to NOT call out a Life Member, who happens to be a physician, and knows a thing-or-two about Medicare billing.
View Quote
Because money always equals credibility.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:46:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
and most of the crybabies that say 1.3B is nothing will turn around a say 1.6B to get the border wall rolling is a King's ransom.

either way this is a START and most importantly it signals an attitude change with regards to dealing with waste fraud and abuse....

yea...its a DROP.....but every flood starts with a DROP.....
View Quote

Like 100 illegal immigrants self-deporting because they read the news story about one who is picked up and sent home, no?

Also if the implementation of FedGov's fraud investigations is as NavyDoc stated, then I can see why doctors are refusing to take on medicare patients.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Like 100 illegal immigrants self-deporting because they read the news story about one who is picked up and sent home, no?

Also if the implementation of FedGov's fraud investigations is as NavyDoc stated, then I can see why doctors are refusing to take on medicare patients.
View Quote
Yup, I had no idea on that part.  My experience was more billing side, so I just assumed it was because the .gov fucks with you all the time that way.  If they try to skull fuck you for an accident or oversight, that's a whole different ballgame.  

Don't get me wrong, Medicaid, Medicare, VA, Native Affairs, etc need audited like crazy, BUT having someone with the incentive of screwing you as deep and hard as possible for any infraction is not the way to go about it.  I can't blame docs for declining those pt's in that case.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

*yawn*

*click*
View Quote
You brought it up. A persons membership status has not one fucking thing to do with their ability to make an argument. It's a "cheap", cop out attempt to assume some kind of authority. If Osama Bin Laden had a Mastercard and a clean IP he could have been a life member here too. It proves nothing. Hell, we've had plenty of actual criminals who HAVE been members here.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:00:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Dog and pony show.

View Quote
See... people like you are part of the reason this country is fucking fucked up.

Good shit gets done and all you do is piss, moan, and groan...
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:02:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

More than Obama did, or (at least that I remember) Bush.
View Quote
So you think this investigation was conducted completely under the Trump admin?

Former investigator told me that unless the fraud is hundreds of millions, the US Attorney's office will not take the case.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:11:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Federal law says marijuana is illegal. He's doing his job. Sounds like a snowflake issue when you say a law enforcement officer shouldn't do his job because it unduly effects your ability to break the law.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:22:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Here is a link that explains the extrapolation that NavyDoc (that guy who is so "full of sh*t") was talking about.  

I'll excerpt briefly:
View Quote
No one said there was no extrapolation. I'm waiting for all the stories about someone hammered because of one coding error. As far as the extrapolation, how do statistics work?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#46]
MAGA.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Christ in heaven, who in the fuck thought law enforcement/investigation should be done for profit? Because someone is getting kickbacks out of that.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:42:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Federal law says marijuana is illegal. He's doing his job. Sounds like a snowflake issue when you say a law enforcement officer shouldn't do his job because it unduly effects your ability to break the law.
View Quote
The Federal law is unconstitutional. Pass a Constitutional amendment or let it go.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#49]
My wife's former boss was arrested in this mess on Wednesday.  (Wife had no idea about the fraud).  Nice enough guy, I had to ask myself if there was a card for this event, something along the lines of "Sorry to hear about your federal felony indictment."
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:50:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The Federal law is unconstitutional. Pass a Constitutional amendment or let it go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's up to SCOTUS, not gd or armchair justices.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top