Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/10/2018 6:27:35 AM EDT
Maybe Im just noticing this more now that Im getting older, and while I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box,  it seems like the number of people out there that are "slow" or have limited mental capacities are increasing.

Seeing a cashier trying to actually put a large watermelon i was buying into one of those plastic grocery bags when it was obviously not going to fit into made me realize the guy clearly was "slow" or had some kind of mental issue.

Thats just one example, but it made me realize that it seems like I see many more people these days that could be called "slow" than I remember seeing before.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 6:32:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Maybe Im just noticing this more now that Im getting older, and while I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box,  it seems like the number of people out there that are "slow" or have limited mental capacities are increasing.

Seeing a cashier trying to actually put a large watermelon i was buying into one of those plastic grocery bags when it was obviously not going to fit into made me realize the guy clearly was "slow" or had some kind of mental issue.

Thats just one example, but it made me realize that it seems like I see many more people these days that could be called "slow" than I remember seeing before.
View Quote

Earlier generations were born smart and got smarter.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 6:34:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote
Technically speaking, we ALL "have limited mental capacities."

If you were smart, you would have known that.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 6:36:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

One look at an arfcom discussion forum and you will know there are many more today
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 6:47:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Ive wondered this myself.

Seems like half the people I met have a child on "the spectrum".
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 6:55:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive wondered this myself.

Seems like half the people I met have a child on "the spectrum".
View Quote
And now there is some messed up name for every 'perceived' disability.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 6:55:33 AM EDT
[#6]
According to the APA, the mean IQ for Americans has risen 30 points between 1900 and 2013.

https://www.apa.org/monitor/2013/03/smarter.aspx
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 6:56:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

reading comprehension fail.  see bolded text please.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:00:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
According to the APA, the mean IQ for Americans has risen 30 points between 1900 and 2013.

View Quote
Just like 98% of children are on the Deans list now?

All you have to do is stroll through a crowd of people on a Saturday to realize we are literally living the opening scene to Idiocracy. I’m not sure if people are actually getting stupider, or it’s common sense/basic reasoning that’s being lost, but working with the public every day, it’s incredibly easy to see it’s going downhill, and fast.

I personally believe within 10 years we will see a government agency opened focused solely on having government workers in homes to assist people in basic tasks. “Okay Timmy, now you have to wipe your ass”.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:03:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:14:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I blame seat belt laws.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:15:28 AM EDT
[#11]
It's possible for a population to "devolve" in terms of IQ over time.

The Australian aborigine are a good example. They are originally from the Indian subcontinent which has an IQ average of 85 today.

By the time Australia was discovered by Europeans, the Australian aborigines had been isolated for 14,000 years. Their average IQ today is astonishingly low, averaging around 63. They are essentially a race of mentally retarded people.

The same thing is probably happening in the US nowadays when you consider that the subset of the population with the lowest average IQs: Blacks and non-white Hispanics, have the highest birth rates due to their degenerate culture and lavish government subsidies. Immigration from East Asia offsets this to an extent.

Margaret Sanger was a prophet frankly.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:18:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I blame seat belt laws.
View Quote
And warning labels telling idiots not to use the toaster. while they are in the bathtub.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:18:25 AM EDT
[#13]
This is what happens when you cancel all eugenics programs and close all the mental institutions. Yeah, I've noticed there's a lot more retards. The majority of them are liberal too.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:20:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No. They used to lock the mentally retarded away in institutions if their families didn’t want to deal with them, which is why you saw less of them. If you mean people hat are just stupid then you might be just noticing it more as you get older.
View Quote
Thanks Reagan
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:21:02 AM EDT
[#15]
There's more people now, so yes?
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:22:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is what happens when you cancel all eugenics programs and close all the mental institutions. Yeah, I've noticed there's a lot more retards. The majority of them are liberal too.
View Quote
This should be fun
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:26:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Not more “slow” people.

Just more “slow” people out in public interacting with other people than used to be the case.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:30:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Technological advances have been a two-edged sword in this regard.

On one hand, as the "behind the scenes" aspects have gotten more complex, it has forced some of the "marginal" people out of traditionally invisible roles. While Otis may have been the best darn buggy whip winder in the village 150 years ago, there's not much call for him anymore.

Conversely, technology has now advanced to the point where Otis' great-great-great grandson no longer even needs to be able to read or make change in order to take your burger order. He just pushes the picture of a burger on his keypad and waits while you work your Apple Pay magic.

Unfortunately for Otis VI, companies are now realizing that they no longer need him to push the button as, if you spin the keypad around, the Customer can do it himself. Therefore, expect Otis VII to vanish into the woodwork, most likely supported by generous government programs at your expense.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:30:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Darwin is no longer allowed to take his share.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:31:25 AM EDT
[#21]
That’s it exactly. Idiocracy is not a movie, its not entertainment, it is a prophecy. A warning from the god(s) using Mike Judge as an instrument.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:32:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I wake evry morning and think there is a new woman in bed.

So, there are benefits.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:34:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I blame seat belt laws.
View Quote
When I used to work at Underwriters Laboratories my co-workers and I would periodically get into discussions about how guilty we felt for assisting in the defeat of evolution.

If we simply allowed the dumb ones to electrocute or crush themselves instead of guarding, enclosing and slapping warning tags on everything, it would all sort itself out eventually.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:36:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:36:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Stupidity and sloth don't mean pain and hunger anymore.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:40:25 AM EDT
[#26]
No idea.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:40:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thanks Reagan
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No. They used to lock the mentally retarded away in institutions if their families didn’t want to deal with them, which is why you saw less of them. If you mean people hat are just stupid then you might be just noticing it more as you get older.
Thanks Reagan
Thanks Reagan?? Poster's lack of knowledge or poster's lack of mental ability?
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:43:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Yes. Every generation of people become a little more "less smart" through a collection of bad genes.

People thousands of years ago were smarter that we are because there were less bad genes out there.

A lot of people will argue that we are smarter today but all we have is a collection of information that has come from before us.

I believe that if you could take an average person from long ago and an average person from today and give them the same upbringing. The person from long ago would learn at a far faster level.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:43:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
When I used to work at Underwriters Laboratories my co-workers and I would periodically get into discussions about how guilty we felt for assisting in the defeat of evolution.

If we simply allowed the dumb ones to electrocute or crush themselves instead of guarding, enclosing and slapping warning tags on everything, it would all sort itself out eventually.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I blame seat belt laws.

The last or next to last safety warning of over three pages of safety warnings on the last window ac I bought was "don't eat the batteries for the remote".
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:44:31 AM EDT
[#30]
I've often thought with the amount of information so readily available at a few button presses no one has to try to remember so much anymore.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:45:29 AM EDT
[#31]
I believe you are on to something.  The amount of slow people is astounding.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:47:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:49:33 AM EDT
[#33]
A lot of what natural selection would have taken care of has been eliminated in the human race. Most of the dummies get to continue living.  I don't have statistics but it seems that they outbreed other more intelligent humans in general as well.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:49:55 AM EDT
[#34]
so, you're saying, bringing the mentally deficient out of the locked rooms and into the public, allowing them to earn a wage, earn dignity and be a part of our society instead of living in mom's basement drawing a FedCoat check or locked in a "sanitarium" for their own good is creeping you out?

also lets add some kids were mainstreamed when they shouldn't have been thru our "pubic educmactation system" where
questioning your gender is more important than making sure you're competent enough to journey into society..for Feels and all that.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:51:05 AM EDT
[#35]
One out of ten people have an IQ below 83.

Below that number it's nearly impossible for them to do a job without being counter productive.

We have more peole total than we used to, so it stands to reason that 10% of a bigger population is in fact more people.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:51:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

One look at an arfcom discussion forum and you will know there are many more today
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:52:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Jordan Peterson | The Most Terrifying IQ Statistic
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:52:28 AM EDT
[#38]
There’s more slow people nowadays.
And more fast people.

That’s how overpopulation works.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:52:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A lot of what natural selection would have taken care of has been eliminated in the human race. Most of the dummies get to continue living.  I don't have statistics but it seems that they outbreed other more intelligent humans in general as well.
View Quote
Natural selection works fine, the criteria for selection has just shifted.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:53:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't actually think he read that "Wall of text" do you?
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:53:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The last or next to last safety warning of over three pages of safety warnings on the last window ac I bought was "don't eat the batteries for the remote".
View Quote
We used to have a saying that "Every single safety warning is there because somebody already tried it."
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:54:39 AM EDT
[#42]
One thing is that as the unemployment rate goes down, you will experience more and more people in low paying jobs, like cashier, bag boys, etc., that are "slow."  These jobs were staffed by unemployed computer programmers in 2002!

But, yes, speed and efficiency is going down due to diversity (the hiring for reasons other than merit).  And the enforcement of "diversity" throughout the org chart makes sure that there is no avoiding it.

When I was young, only oldsters drove slowly.  Now that I'm an oldster, I am often astonished that the idiot in front of me creeping down the two-lane is a hipster or soccor mom 30 years younger than me!
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:58:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
IQ and IU (intelligence use) are by no means the same thing..
smart does not equal or compare to wise.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:58:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've often thought with the amount of information so readily available at a few button presses no one has to try to remember so much anymore.
View Quote
Attention spans are getting shorter, I can tell you that.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 7:59:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The joke he was making seems to have eluded you.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 8:00:02 AM EDT
[#46]
I think one thing that is different from my generation (grew up in 60's-70's) is the reliance on technology which in my opinion is like a mental crutch. Video games and smart phones have dumbed down the generations that are growing up on them.  Imagination is becoming extinct almost.

I see it too.  I see young parents that are so into their phones that distracted parenting is a hindrance and then they teach their children the same thing by giving them a tablet at a very young age just to keep them distracted so the parents don't have to deal with them.

It is really sad because children growing up like this are often time obese and don't like the things I grew up with.  Going outside and playing army with my friends with our play guns or playing in the dirt with trucks and cars.  Who has sandboxes anymore?

Times have changed and then throw in drugs into the mix which makes it worse because there are so many varieties today. But some have profited greatly off of all of this modern development. I heard that the techie founders don't even give their own kids the devices they create for the masses because they know the negative effects they have on development.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 8:06:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Exactly. Retards were family secrets. Now they are not.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 8:07:44 AM EDT
[#48]
The slow people weren’t in the forefront of contact before. In order to expand labor pools jobs have been “dumbed down” so the slow people can displace the smarter people at a lower cost to the employers. This has freed up the smarter people to fill more challenging jobs.

Take the grocery clerk for example; in the late 50’s and early 60’s the clerks who acted as the cashier would hand write you a receipt and add up the cost of the goods and accept payment and make change, all without the aid of a computer. That grocery clerk had no problem determining if the 3D object fit into the bag.

In the late 60’s and early 70’s it progressed to the cost of the goods and services were keyed in to a cash register that was an adding machine. By the 90’s the grocery clerk scanned in the item and the cash register register told the clerk how much to collect and how much to return to the customer as change.

Today we are progressing to the items scan themself in and the coustomer scans their payment card.

It was in the 90’s that the “bag boy” became the cashier.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 8:10:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Of course there are more people with limited intelligence. There are more people.

There are also more people with substandard education.

That is not an accident. The government schools seek to indoctrinate, not educate.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 8:18:56 AM EDT
[#50]
No, same levels of folks. Simply back then, Johnny was slower than the other kids and languished in school and eventually got a job pushingna broom or he was locked up in a padded cell.

Just like all other health issues. Back then, most folks died of old age. Now they all died of "X".

Medicine has advanced that everything has a name.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top