BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:16:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I CAN STILL HAUL A SKID OF NUT COAL WITH A 6.5 BED
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183699/6E688D0A-718D-4E1F-A199-D7D1BFBD8142_jpeg-912427.JPG
That’s my truck with a skid of anthracite nut. I can actually fit 2 in with the tailgate down but it’s a bitch to unload that way.
View Quote
This man is rolling the nut coal
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:17:26 PM EDT
[#2]
That’s why you get a window in the back not s longer bed.

Only ever had 5.5.  I haul equiment and fairly heavy product for my business. Firewood, dead deer, landscaping and tow boats personally .   A bigger bed does nothing for me.  I have a trailer for larger and heavier cargo.  My daily driver F150 Limited.

If i really need a bigger truck i have real ones. A Freightliner M2 and Volvo tractor trailer.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:19:42 PM EDT
[#3]
The last 4 trucks I've had have been less than 8 foot long beds.
The current one is 5.5'.
Guess what, I've never been limited by the bed length for what I use a truck for.  The few times I've needed more truck is because of weight, and then I just grab the Peterbilt roll back from work.

The few times a year I may need to haul 8 foot long construction materials I just leave the tail gate down, so everyone can see what a man I am.  You guys with 8 foot beds hauling with the tailgate up are being judged by others that assume you have nothing in the back and don't really need a truck.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#4]
6.5' or longer is the only bed I will consider buying.

I don't use the bed too often in my truck,(not a daily use truck) but when I do it's to pick up something like a couch or washer/dryer, fridge or 8' wood. At least twice a month it gets used as a truck instead of sitting in the garage
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You say that, but a good number of the sheetrockers I see at hardware stores are loading up a sad looking old S-10 or Ranger that wishes it was euthanized during Cash for Clunkers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Basically,
Some of these trucks are bought by people who don't put up drywall for a living and don't usually need to bring full sheets of plywood to a job site every day.
Most of the guys I see using their trucks for actual work as a drywaller (or whatever) are single cabs with 8' beds and a ladder rack. The boss has the crew cab.
You say that, but a good number of the sheetrockers I see at hardware stores are loading up a sad looking old S-10 or Ranger that wishes it was euthanized during Cash for Clunkers.
All that tells me is there isn't big money in sheet rocking.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Tacoma 4door with a short bed.

Also an f250 superduty with 8 ft bed

The Taco is superior for hunting/off-roading due to wheelbase. It's better than an SUV when it comes to dead deer in the bed.

Superduty is better for hauling/towing/plowing.

Get both.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:26:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Roof top tent fixes the sleeping problem. Also gives you time in a possible bear scenario, which is a win/win for someone paranoid like me
View Quote
LOL, one of my sons and I woke up as a bear was trying to drag the 120 qt cooler out from under the truck as we slept in it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#8]
If I wanted an 8ft bed I'd get a 2wd work truck.

6-1/2' is plenty for appliances, furniture, sports equipment,  dead animals, and what-have-you.
Quad cab is nice to keep things like guns and gear more secure and hidden than a truck bed.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:27:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Crew cab long bed master race checking in.

Short beds suck because I'm lazy and don't want to take multiple trips when hauling shit.

That said, I fucking hate parking my truck.  Leaf sprung front end gives me the turning radius of a fucking barge.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I prefer a minimalist work truck. Regular cab, Snow plow, towing package, 8ft box, 4X4 vinyl covered bench seat, vinyl floor with drain plugs.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:32:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Also, what in the world does "virtue signaling" have to do with having a 5-6 foot truck bed? What are you really ranting against...?
View Quote
He's just picking something to rant about, near as I can figure.
I'd also guess he's some sort of confused lefty. Lefties don't like anything American....which means almost anything in the full sized truck category. I live in CA and there is a definite underlying distain for people with pick up trucks in general. The Subaru crowd cannot understand why anyone would need anything other than a Subaru....or a Smart Car. I would label this as virtue signaling, not owning a truck with a short bed. LOL
The vast majority of people who own pick up trucks do not need to cart around 8' sheets of anything hardly ever.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I buy whatever I want to buy because it’s what I want. It does not have to make sense to anyone else, only matters to me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:34:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Some people are just retarded.

That board could most likely be easily carried across the bed diagonally.
View Quote
My son was at Menards and saw a compact sedan with a dozen 2x6x12' tied ACROSS the roof.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Short beds suck because I'm lazy and don't want to take multiple trips when hauling shit.

That said, I fucking hate parking my truck.  Leaf sprung front end gives me the turning radius of a fucking barge.
View Quote
LOL, had a 93 F350 CC 8' 4wd.

" Gimme 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around"

Have a 05 now and turns much tighter.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:36:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:38:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's because they are work trucks not status symbols. We have a '92 S-10 with 640k and a '00 Ranger with 260k. They are still being used for what they were made for....working. You don't have to worry about them, they are fairly easy to fix, the run forever even with half the crap not working right, no one wants to steal them, and you don't have to OCD over every ding. I have severely over loaded my Ranger more times than I can count.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Smaller trucks are better on tight trails and hunting roads up here in the mountains as well as small parking lots while in towns. Combine that with needing 4 doors and a place to put dead things in the back and I’m not sure if there is a better truck for the mountain west.
View Quote
This.  I'd just have a Jeep if I could fit a dirt bike or a dead elk in the back, or safely tow a car trailer.  Pickups have other uses than construction and ranching.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#18]
My daily carry looks similar (though it's missing the link and schmutz). I keep the pretty ones for showing off.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#19]
In this thread, we have basement dwellers that think any vehicle but mom's Prius is a brodozer.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:43:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Long bed pick-ups ride better than short beds.
Dang taco has the long bed but it sucks to haul anything in. All 5.5 ft of it.

I miss a 8ft bed.
Carry to much odd ball loads.

Need to get my F350 cc long bed up and running.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I guess I'll justify my tiny bed truck.
I drive a Honda Civic 2 door to work and whenever I can.

Also have a F-150 supercrew.
Because no one wants to ride with me in the Civic. Especially in the back seat.
Kind of a no brainier for me to get a crew.
Can do truck stuff and extra people are comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have an 02.  My buddy's 06 will turn on a dime compared to mine.  Mine is like driving a fucking tri axle.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Megacab shortbed may not be ideal for you but it is for others . Choices , they are nice to have . I don’t get the whole shit talking thing about everything these days by men . It makes you sound like women . One might need the bed for a transfer tank mainly, smaller secondary things of any sort will fit fine . One also may use trailers . I am one of these people. A toy hauler camper does not need a long bed truck . If hauling lumber , vehicles, or an infinite list of other items I prefer to attach a 18’ double axle flatbed trailer instead of loading shit into the bed of my truck . That’s just me , you do you , hero . When not attached to attachment it is nice to maneuver shortbed truck in traffic , parking lots and parking spaces . To each his own I pray , amen .
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#24]
My little tiny bed holds my dirt bike, pulls a trailer, hauls the family and .... fits in the garage. For the twice a year i load something that hangs out the back, i use a little red flag.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I never get the GD obsession with long bed pickups.

There are so many negative attributes and the rare benefit outside of 100% work use. If you need a longer bed, just use your trailer. 90% of the stuff I put in the bed fits in my 5.5, and the few things that are longer rarely hang past the tailgate. So what if you have to take the two seconds to fold out the included and installed retainer over the tailgate?

I've had a 3/4 ton and it wasn't worth the tradeoffs. Meanwhile, I can fit my truck in the garage. I don't make it impossible for people to back out of their parking spots in a lot/parking garage. I can make turns without running over the curb. If I were a contractor or something, I can see buying one. For normal use, no....but I'm also not on the diesel train for most people, and love my Ecoboost so GD already hates my choice in vehicle brand, motor, bed length.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:50:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:52:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yup, Pennsylvania. Makes sense.
View Quote
Its called Pennsyltucky for a reason.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:52:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Long bed pick-ups ride better than short beds.
Dang taco has the long bed but it sucks to haul anything in. All 5.5 ft of it.

I miss a 8ft bed.
Carry to much odd ball loads.

Need to get my F350 cc long bed up and running.
View Quote
I will go ahead and disagree with the long bed vs short bed ride. I have 2- super dutys. One is 6.5’ and the other is 8’. They ride the same with a slight advantage to the short bed.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Let's just say it - if you are a heavy truck user, no, the Ranger/Tacoma-type trucks aren't for you. Okay?

But many people are NOT in construction or hay-hauling for a ranch or toting around 4-wheelers and stuff like that. Many of us are homeowners who might occasionally need to haul a lawn mower or help a friend move a couch or go to Home Depot and bring home a dozen bags of mulch or some pickets to fix a fence. Smaller trucks come in handy for things like that.

Here's a bulletin for you truckers out there: WE DON'T FUCKING NEED OR WANT A BIG-ASS TRUCK LIKE YOURS, AND FRANKLY WE FEEL YOUR BIG-ASS TRUCKS ARE A PITA BECAUSE THEY BLOCK OUR VIEW OF THE ROAD AHEAD, TAKE UP TOO MUCH ROOM IN PARKING SPACES, AND JUST PLAIN LOOK RIDICULOUS WITH YOUR BEDS 5 FUCKING FEET OFF THE GROUND.

So I'll ask the reverse of your question - Why would anyone want a full-size truck?
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That is the saddest thing I’ve ever seen.
View Quote
Maybe the bed is full of other shit?
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Smaller trucks are better on tight trails and hunting roads up here in the mountains as well as small parking lots while in towns. Combine that with needing 4 doors and a place to put dead things in the back and I’m not sure if there is a better truck for the mountain west.
View Quote
This guy gets it.

95% of the time it's about hauling wet, muddy, dead, messy, stinky shit.
I may need a load of lumber once in a blue moon.  And fuck drywall altogether.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I prefer a minimalist work truck. Regular cab, Snow plow, towing package, 8ft box, 4X4 vinyl covered bench seat, vinyl floor with drain plugs.
View Quote
I bought our dually specifically because it had the snow plow package which included dual batteries and alternators and a completely rubber floor. Still has cloth seats, but the rubber floor is awesome. It only comes with the snow plow package unless you special order it.
I used to think seat heaters were gay, but I learned with the Tacoma that, having a bad back, those seat heaters are awesome. Can't tell you how many miles I've had them on with the A/C blasting.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My crew cab f150 has a 6.5' box...
That's the shortest I'd ever go.
View Quote
Ive got a 5.5 box and ive never said "shit, should have went with the 6.5."

Maybe im not teir 1 operator enough to have a truck
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:57:15 PM EDT
[#34]
If your bed is less than 6.5 feet, sorry your girl lost.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 1:58:29 PM EDT
[#35]
When you go hunting etc
All your stuff you want to keep dry and or  not full of dust you put in back seat area. Sleeping bags clothes , food,  tarps etc etc. Works great  
I have a pic of bull elk in back of truck  and seat area packed full From a tent trip few years ago.
You have a huge mess of wet muddy gear without.  Only way to go
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#36]
I would love one, it would suit my needs perfectly. I can use a bed for smaller truck things, yet have the advantages of a car.

I have an extended cab truck now and it sucks for car things. It's old and I've since gotten a car, so I have a car and a truck.

I wish Ford still made the sportrac.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#37]
I own a 2001 Nissan Frontier 4x4 crew cab short bed. I spent more time in it driving my kid places than anything else. I have also hauled tons of hay (6 bales per week), railroad ties, tons of pea gravel, countless loads of firewood, surfboards, bicycles, furniture, my motorcycle and who knows how much else never mind all the stuff I've towed in or on trailers. And don't forget the couple times I've towed other people's trucks out of stuck places. Not to mention how easy it is to park in places where real pickups don't fit.

Yup. Totally useless, poser wanna be vehicle. I should have bought a sedan
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#38]
I am a full size, extended cab guy.   I want a 6 foot bed and do not have to daily drive my truck.    City lots tend to have very little inventory.  Everything is crew cab.   Rural dealerships tend to have good extended cab inventory.

I think that sums up what we all know.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
They're good for homeowners that just want to carry bulky stuff once in a while.  They make them because people buy them.
View Quote
Quoted:

This.

9 out of 10 truck owners are just in it for the bro feelz.

You'll never see a rancher, or construction worker with a tiny bed truck.
View Quote
Quoted:
Oh Jesus Christ, again?

Yes they are expensive, yes you dont want to pay for one.

Yes, some people have multiple trucks, trailers and other equipment to use if they need a bed larger than 6 ft.

Yes, some people like fancy shit in a truck, these people are typically the people that use one every day.

No, the 1970s bare bones trucks are not better in any conceivable way.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#40]
is it wrong that i can't see the term itty-bitty without thinking of something else?
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This.

9 out of 10 truck owners are just in it for the bro feelz.

You'll never see a rancher, or construction worker with a tiny bed truck.
View Quote
I do both.

Link Posted: 4/14/2019 2:18:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
is it wrong that i can't see the term itty-bitty without thinking of something else?
View Quote
Learned about mine in a Girl Scout tent, let me tell you how my education went.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 2:22:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Long bed = construction

Short bed = offroading
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Seems like to me that anyone who needs to haul something that would require a full-size truck should either rent one for the job or hire someone with a big truck to do it.

(Makes as much sense as poor-mouthing people who like "small" trucks. )
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Because most buyers don’t work construction and haul 8’ sheets of plywood around. I wanted a crew cab for the occupant space because I grew with three or four passengers stuffed across the bench in dads truck and it was miserable.

I don’t want an 8’ bed with a crew cab because I don’t want a truck that’s 33’ long and impossible to park in regular spots.

I need something that can tow, not necessarily a ton of cargo space. A short box fits my needs perfectly.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Duct tape a shoebox to the back of an Accord. Boom, pickup truck! and about twice as reliable.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Because I have 2 trailers if needed. 5X10 and 5X14. I need room in the back seat for the dogs/guns.
6.5' works fine for my needs.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 2:30:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Brodozer.

Being able to haul plywood and 2x4s without shit hanging out the back is why you buy a truck, IMHO.

Much like fire extinguishers, AR15s and CCW pistol, better to have and not need, than need and not have.
View Quote
How often do people not in construction trades haul lumber and plywood around?

This a silly argument that gets brought up every time we have this thread. I can fit 8’ lumber in my short box too with the tailgate down. Not a big deal the one or two times a year I do so. Anything bigger than that goes on a trailer.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#50]
A Nissan frontier, is great for my utility trailer, boating 15ft skeeter, log splitter etc. i have to haul my trash off several times a week, as their is no pick-up and burning is illegal. I use the hell out of my truck, and this size is a good compromise. I do find it hard to believe all the young people with 3/4 tons and no ball in the bed. If I could afford it? Yes , I would have gone bigger.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top