Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 3:17:46 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just last month my neighbor and his son were discharging a air rifle at some rats and they were promptly...

Reported

Be glad you don't live next to me.

Jeebus.

I would have burned his house down a long long time ago.

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 3:18:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Cook County you say?hmmmmmm Troll much?

Quoted:
fucking morons!

working from home this afternoon and to relax, I shot couple BBs from a little daisy rifle I have sitting in the office room.  shot from 2nd floor windows, to the old ammo can sitting on the ground across backyard in the corner of solid wood fence 6 feet tall.

5 minutes later - 2 squad cars, 3 cops at my door - "did you shoot BB gun from the window?"
- "yes, is there a problem?"
- "yes, neighbor called on you - that you were sticking rifle from your window and he has 2 holes in his siding"
- "well, come to my office, take a look at what I was shooting at"
I showed them the BBgun, the ammo can that I shot at, they looked over my office - the gun cases in the corner, the safe, the hunting/shooting swag, checked my FOID card, and then told me that I can not shoot BBs on my property outside, can only do it inside the house!

they left and told me "not to do it again" and never told me which nejghbor called and where were the holes... I am super pissed... and need to so some research - I am in suburb of Chicago, in Cook Fucking County, but I never heard that I could not shoot BB guns on my property - all measly 1/4 acre, but I have 6 foot tall solid wood fence on all sides...

[/rant]

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#3]
"No, I wasn't. Have a nice day."

[/door]
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#4]
You need a new bb gun or instructions on how to accurately shoot a bb gun.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 3:22:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you move a few miles north the air smells a little better and the land feels a little freer.

Damnit JVD, now I gotta replace my avatar. And I've had this for years but its about time for a change.

And to the OP, country living is where its at, I can dump about 10 mags out my window and no one out here would call the cops.

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Play stupid game, win stupid prize.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 3:24:44 PM EDT
[#7]
hmm, you probably had yours before mine... I can change it with as many people as there are here its hard to find something that hasn't been used.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
hmm, you probably had yours before mine... I can change it with as many people as there are here its hard to find something that hasn't been used.  

Yeah it is, everytime I see yours I'm thinkin what the hell I didn't post here. Then I gotta check closer. You can keep yours I'm gonna work on a new one here soon.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 3:27:52 PM EDT
[#9]
agree, in retrospect it was pretty stupid for me to assume that I could do something like that on private property

I just did a search and found an ordinance that was talking about village property - that noone can discharge air gun on village property except in areas designated, but it said nothing about private property.

anyway, I guess I will also need to stop parading naked with my AR in front of that window.

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#10]
You need more sniper training.  Always fire from a point of concealment back away from the window.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 3:41:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
agree, in retrospect it was pretty stupid for me to assume that I could do something like that on private property

I just did a search and found an ordinance that was talking about village property - that noone can discharge air gun on village property except in areas designated, but it said nothing about private property.

anyway, I guess I will also need to stop parading naked with my AR in front of that window.

Yeah, in this day and age, you have to be careful about stuff like this.  Everyone is a white supremacist sniper apparently these days.

Now, about those wife pictures . . .
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You need more sniper training.  Always fire from a point of concealment back away from the window.

No no that's wrong.  I've seen the movies.  The barrel has to stick out the window just slightly.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, in this day and age, you have to be careful about stuff like this.  Everyone is a white supremacist sniper apparently these days.

Now, about those wife pictures . . .

LOL!!

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Move to free state.

. Same ordinance in my little town of 6500.   No "missiles" may be fired in the city limits, to include air rifles, bb guns, and archery.

I've only lived in one town that allowed archery....Lovell, WY.   I hate admitting I even lived there, but they were cool with fireworks and archery/bb guns.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My wife gets pissed when I set up my shot from the dinner table, and a one or two inch opening in the sliding glass door.

I do it up at our cabin all the time to get even with the crows who think its their duty to announce themselves at 5:30 every morning.  You got to pull out all the tricks with those bastards, they are too smart.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Nice of you to invite them in to "look around" and see your stuff.

It could have ended badly for you.

This. Never talk to the police.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Burn ALL of their houses down. To be sure ya know.

Listen to the cat right meow sir
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm going to shoot 2 rounds of .30-30 out my window to honor the OP.

Who's with me?

And you know what?

No one will care....
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah it is, everytime I see yours I'm thinkin what the hell I didn't post here. Then I gotta check closer. You can keep yours I'm gonna work on a new one here soon.

Dude, you have 429 posts.  No one will notice.  Besides you aren't due for another post for 10 more days

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Against the law here in my city too.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Most cities do not allow the discharge of a firearm in city limits. And yes... They count BB guns as a firearm in many of them.

Or they have specific ordinances for BB guns paintball airsoft archery etc.  Essentially, they are there as one more charge for the douche nozzle kids that like to periodically go on bbgun shooting sprees.

No this is not an IL thing.  I live in a small town in rural CO population 500 or so.  We have the above ordinance for the abvove reason.  I talked to the chief and his response was meh go ahead and set up an archery range in your back yard.  If the neighbors complain I'll tell ya to take it down.  If they don't complain have fun.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Whew for a second you could be describing me. I shot from my window this weekend except I didn't stick the barrel out of the window and no cops showed up. Those squirrels have got to go though
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 4:39:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I think I would have said, absolutely not true, let's see the siding in question.  Then offer them a BB sample...

But it's Cook Co. And you're alive and unscathed....count yourself fortunate.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Most cities do not allow the discharge of a firearm in city limits. And yes... They count BB guns as a firearm in many of them.

Well those places are chalked full of morons, bb gun is not a firearm...
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
In the city that I work in, it's illegal to discharge a firearm inside the city limits
A firearm is any device that fires a projectile
There are a few affirmative defenses, but people get charged every year

WRONG
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Like that here.

I could lose my 2A rights and all my guns over that. It is considered a wobbler (can be charged as a felony or misdemeanor). Even prosecuted as a misdemeanor it can come with a 10 year state prohibition on firearms ownership.

Funny thing is I live in a semi rural area and I hear gunshots fairly often. Doubt anybody would ever call teh polices over something like that but I ain't risking it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey anyone know what the ordance is for Jackson, TN or where I'd look online. I must be googling wrong
Pretty sure it says something
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 5:05:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you move a few miles north the air smells a little...

Cheese and cows.  Preferable to city stank though.

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Next time use black powder with no load. It will be awesome.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 5:10:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Well, you could always move to AL.....
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

First post and all...
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, you got off lucky.

Illegally discharged a gun in town and let officers from the Chicago (not saying they are corrupt but they are corrupt) area in the house?  O it will end badly for you.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 5:18:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah dude... bad move.  

sucks that you have a NAZI neighbor somewhere.

you gotta figure that out.

And put a turd in their mailbox....
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#36]

would it be too difficult to go back to window and surveil the surroundings for possible snitch line of sight?

you should be able to narrow down to a few

or you could cause a disturbance in your backyard while an observer is secreted and see who comes to their windows

when you find out which one it was, build them a cake or something

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I'm sorry to see that you missed something so simple as the fact that it's not technically legal to shoot your bb gun in your back yard.

Now you see why it is NEVER acceptable to speak with the police regarding anything.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#38]
I am sorry you have to live in Cook County.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 7:14:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
In the city that I work in, it's illegal to discharge a firearm inside the city limits
A firearm is any device that fires a projectile
There are a few affirmative defenses, but people get charged every year

WRONG

Firearm can have a common-use meaning, or even be a technical term.... but in this instance, he is using the it as a term of art as defined by the relevant law.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Are you required to open the door for this type of complaint?
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 7:15:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm going to shoot 2 rounds of .30-30 out my window to honor the OP.

Who's with me?

And you know what?

No one will care....

I don't always shoot out of my window,
but when I do,
I shoot suppressed.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Something a bit similar happened to me once, except I did a few mag dumps off the back porch with an AR.  Neighbors are kinda close on the sides but we have 20 acres to the rear.  Cops were called in regards to automatic weapons fire.  He asked to see the AR and I agreed, he said "I'll go tell them it's legal, and not to call again"
And I'm in NY too, not even a free state.

Sorry for your troubles
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Why did you let them in? Why did you admit to anything? If they had something they would have charged you. Probably some sort of city ordinance. And if at all possible leave IL!

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Now I bet the report will list you have other guns in your home.  

Link Posted: 8/6/2012 8:39:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Move to Louisiana.  I kill deer from my window.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 9:30:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
fucking morons!

working from home this afternoon and to relax, I shot couple BBs from a little daisy rifle I have sitting in the office room.  shot from 2nd floor windows, to the old ammo can sitting on the ground across backyard in the corner of solid wood fence 6 feet tall.

5 minutes later - 2 squad cars, 3 cops at my door - "did you shoot BB gun from the window?"
- "yes, is there a problem?"
- "yes, neighbor called on you - that you were sticking rifle from your window and he has 2 holes in his siding"
- "well, come to my office, take a look at what I was shooting at"
I showed them the BBgun, the ammo can that I shot at, they looked over my office - the gun cases in the corner, the safe, the hunting/shooting swag, checked my FOID card, and then told me that I can not shoot BBs on my property outside, can only do it inside the house!

they left and told me "not to do it again" and never told me which nejghbor called and where were the holes... I am super pissed... and need to so some research - I am in suburb of Chicago, in Cook Fucking County, but I never heard that I could not shoot BB guns on my property - all measly 1/4 acre, but I have 6 foot tall solid wood fence on all sides...

[/rant]

A "sniper" never telegraphs his location by sticking the muzzle out of the window.

That was your first mistake.

Your second mistake is for "not going big" and firing off a 300WinMag from your house to let everyone know you are super cereal.
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#47]

+1
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 9:49:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/6/2012 10:05:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Don't worry about it.  

Tomorrow, go down to ACE hardware, buy a steel garbage can and start burning your trash in the back yard.

See if the same cops come again.

Offer them some lemonade.

Chris

Link Posted: 8/7/2012 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Many also count airsoft guns, paintball guns, bows and arrows, slingshots, and other items.  Some have rules under which it can be legally done, but that tends to exclude residential property in a neighborhood.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top