BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:00:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes the big ones, and it's good stuff. The swedish make nice steel as well.
View Quote

I'm a big fan of 26C3 which is made by uddeholmstrip for Voelstalpine

insanely clean stuff. Very high hardness and it sharpens super easily.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:01:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

And the lack of quality control

US Steel > Chinese Steel
View Quote

Yeah, but people don't care...as long as they get stuff cheaper
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:02:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
FCCP

I’m making as much steel as I can.
View Quote

Username has never been more appropriate
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:09:34 AM EDT
[#4]
The Nucor mill near us is a true mini mill. I don't think they roll any structural shapes larger than a W6x15 and only up to 6" angle and the larger sizes you get above 3x3" angle they have a schedule of when it's rolled. From the last list I saw a lot of it was misc. stuff. 1-1/2" and 2-1/2" angle and stuff. We never use any of that stuff except a lot of w6x15's and 3x3x3/8 angle for clips and some 6x4 angle for circular platforms. No idea who uses the 1-1/2" misc. sized angles but I think that type of stuff is the majority of stuff they roll.

Used to do work for a company outside of Houston that made grating. They bought steel coils by the trainload and have several waiting to unloaded on their spur all the time. They had a machine they had made that uncoiled and burned the plate into what would normally be long ass flat bar, turn it up, notch it, for making grating by the truckload. They went out of business but their super giant competitor was 45 minutes away.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:11:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Is the low production self inflicted by environmental regulation?
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:11:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Here’s a big titanium 6-4 ingot that is about to be rolled down to slab to make some armor plates.  Weight about 40,000#

Attachment Attached File

Here’s some hot rolling in action.  Don’t recall what’s being rolled in this photo.  Could be some carbon steel. Heading out of the Roughing mill and heading into the finishing mill train.

Attachment Attached File

Rolling down an ingot.  Maybe it’s Ti don’t remember
Flash is just water spray from hydraulic descaling - about 3200 psi water pressure
Attachment Attached File

A nice Ti-6-4 plate I annealed and leveled during a lockout a few years ago.   Was a lot of fun finally getting to actually operate the equipment myself.  Was pretty good at it

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:16:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a friend who married a girl from China.  He told me a story about the government going door to door where her family is from confiscating all the steel cookware to make their steel quotas.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:17:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

China is a perfectly capable of making very good steel. The problem is that they immediately cut corners the moment you stop checking their quality.

In their culture, it is your fault for being stupid enough to trust anything.  

They aren’t incompetent, just corrupt to the core.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

US Steel > Chinese Steel

China is a perfectly capable of making very good steel. The problem is that they immediately cut corners the moment you stop checking their quality.

I have heard a lot of people say that if you are an American company in China, you MUST hire an American to oversee Chinese production, otherwise it won't work.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:23:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Bayou steel was in real bad shape. They had to lift part of the building up when they replaced the electric arc furnace. They rolled just for themselves some 13" plate to set the columns on that had sunk. Crazy shit. I never work with that kind of stuff but really surprised the plate burner using an oxy torch just cut it up lickity split.

Not really supply side stuff. Talked to a guy that worked at a plate fab shop in Anacortes, WA. They do penstock stuff for hydro power stuff. They ordered some 5" plate and then they wanted it rolled. That's not an everyday thing. They found a company in Houston so they shipped the plate and they went to Houston to layout how he wanted it broke. I knew it was going to very very hard to find someone to roll it and would instead brake it little by little. Spent all morning scribing the brake points (Like I'm pretty sure any place that can do that had someone that would do it in no time). All morning. First brake the scale shatted and all his marks disappaeared. I love it when a plan comes together. He deserved it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:34:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Communism always fails.

If you agree with me, then you understand that the chart is irrelevant because it's only a matter of time until it crashes.

Focus on fixing our country if you want to save our country.  That includes unleashing the shackles placed on every American business.

Case in point... I'm a one person manufacturing business.  I do some cool shit.  To do taxes properly, it takes my wife about 4 weeks straight of book keeping and shit like that to get just the federal/state taxes done.  We also have our only 2 kids with dire health conditions.  The other day she said to me "I've been trying to finish taxes but I keep getting distracted by medical stuff for the kids."

Let that statement sink in.

We are FUCKING ourselves raw with our shitty policies.  The tax system is one such shitty policy.  I didn't include the 1 month of inventory I would have to do every year if I followed my local county's property tax system.  According to them, I should inventory the dog's bed at the shop and apply a value to it and be taxed on it accordingly.

Talking about charts with China's steel production is USELESS until we fix the communist-lite policies that are ruining our productivity.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 12:40:22 AM EDT
[#11]
it appears Nigel's future is in Chinese steel.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 7:46:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm a big fan of 26C3 which is made by uddeholmstrip for Voelstalpine

insanely clean stuff. Very high hardness and it sharpens super easily.
View Quote
Bohler makes very nice steel, their powdered steels are ultra clean
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 7:51:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If only we recently had a man in charge who was trying to change this chart...
View Quote

Things could be so much worse though. Trump could be saying mean things on Twatter.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They have a couple around there.   Melt shop and hot rolling mill I think on the north side, and a cold rolling/finishing plant for coils the south shore of the big lake.   I was at that one a couple times.  It was owned by Worthington Steel then
Also went to their mill in Tuscaloosa several times too.   We had them roll titanium coils on it.   They like to roll 199" wide coils in plate thicknesses, and they were rolling our skinny 50" wide coils to 1/8" thick on that beast of a mill.   We even had them roll some high strength beta alloy coils there.  They just put in a new coiler and at first it was pulling that stuff apart like a giant tensile machine, 125ksi yield strength stuff.
Wanted to see a Alabama football game on one of my trips, but the timing didn't work out.  

If I had no ties I would've applied for a position at their new big 160" plate mill in KY.  But startups can be a drag on any life outside the mill for a couple years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Isn't there a mini- or micro-mill in Decatur?  Nucor?

They have a couple around there.   Melt shop and hot rolling mill I think on the north side, and a cold rolling/finishing plant for coils the south shore of the big lake.   I was at that one a couple times.  It was owned by Worthington Steel then
Also went to their mill in Tuscaloosa several times too.   We had them roll titanium coils on it.   They like to roll 199" wide coils in plate thicknesses, and they were rolling our skinny 50" wide coils to 1/8" thick on that beast of a mill.   We even had them roll some high strength beta alloy coils there.  They just put in a new coiler and at first it was pulling that stuff apart like a giant tensile machine, 125ksi yield strength stuff.
Wanted to see a Alabama football game on one of my trips, but the timing didn't work out.  

If I had no ties I would've applied for a position at their new big 160" plate mill in KY.  But startups can be a drag on any life outside the mill for a couple years.
Decatur AL.  All the heavy industry in Decatur is south of the Tenn River (except the Brown's Ferry Nuclear Power plant, 2nd largest in the US); there is no big lake in Decatur AL.  Having said that, the Tenn River in that area could look very much like a lake; especially if you're not from that area.

According to GE, the three Nucor plants are just north and NW of the ULA rocket plant.  The ULA rocket plant is located at  34.62896   -87.075392.  The three Nucor plants are to the north and NW within a couple miles or so.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That is sad. We should be knocking that outta the park.
View Quote

According to the sickening and sad charge, we never did.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have heard a lot of people say that if you are an American company in China, you MUST hire an American to oversee Chinese production, otherwise it won't work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

US Steel > Chinese Steel

About 17 years ago my Cousin did a three year stint as a QC guy at their manufacturing line in rural china. If you didn't babysit the line 24/7 the quality would go to shit and the assholes would hide the shitty parts in the bottoms of boxes.

When my Cousin moved up and got to a position of influence he helped moved most of the production back to the USA.

Eventually the one child policy is going to make labor costs rise and it'll force companies to rethink production. The downside is shit like this doesn't happen overnight...

Link Posted: 3/30/2022 1:35:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Eventually the one child policy is going to make labor costs rise and it'll force companies to rethink production. The downside is shit like this doesn't happen overnight...
View Quote

It didn't happen overnight, it happened over the last 20 years.

Chinese labor costs are higher than labor costs in other places like Vietnam or Mexico.

Which is why all that shit has been moving back to North America for years.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Decatur AL.  All the heavy industry in Decatur is south of the Tenn River (except the Brown's Ferry Nuclear Power plant, 2nd largest in the US); there is no big lake in Decatur AL.  Having said that, the Tenn River in that area could look very much like a lake; especially if you're not from that area.

According to GE, the three Nucor plants are just north and NW of the ULA rocket plant.  The ULA rocket plant is located at  34.62896   -87.075392.  The three Nucor plants are to the north and NW within a couple miles or so.
View Quote

This.
Carpenter has a plant just across the river in Tanner. They do some mill work.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 10:17:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Is that the former GM/Saginaw plant?  We used to pass it all the time on the way to Swan Creek WMA Range back in the day.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top