Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:08:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Barr announced today that they hacked the phone.  It took like a year.  That's a year that DOJ could have been acting on the intel  -- time wasted because Apple
View Quote

#freedomisscary
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

If you mean you think Apple ought to break the security of all their devices for all time so the US government can investigate a dead guy, you probably should have your head examined.

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Hollywood_Shooter:

I think it's time to pick a side.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By L_JE:
So, Apple should have to devote their time and resources to breaking into the phone?

I think it's time to pick a side.

You can’t be serious. Who let the little terrorist fucker into the country? Who continues to cozy up the the terrorist state of KSA?  

And you want to blame Apple?

Time to pick a side indeed. I’ll choose freedom and privacy and the US government can go fuck itself.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MikeEIB:
Man there are some dumb motherfuckers on this site. Looking at you people bashing Apple for this.
View Quote

100%. Fuck Barr.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:28:52 PM EDT
[#5]
terrorists don't play by the rules.
View Quote

So we should give more power to the fucking morons that let the terrorist shitbag in?

Are you retarded?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#6]
so - y'all fine to give up your rights because 'flu, but foreigner shoots 11 people on US soil and you're worried about the terrorist.   

got it.  I think. maybe not.

eta:  directed @ no one in particular.
View Quote

Yep, you’re retarded.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By FREEFALLE7:
And this is why I would never ever use Icloud.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FREEFALLE7:
Originally Posted By mrcatbert:

They handed over massive amounts of information from the shooter's iCloud storage as well as transactional data from the phone apps.
And this is why I would never ever use Icloud.

If you have any data online you can expect the company hosting it to hand it over when they get a warrant. But making the Feds serve that warrant is the important bit, rather than just handing them the keys up front and saying, “Rummage through whatever you like.”
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:35:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think it's time to pick a side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, Apple should have to devote their time and resources to breaking into the phone?

I think it's time to pick a side.
I choose Freedom and Liberty..
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:36:28 PM EDT
[#9]
How does the boot taste?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

He was a known terrorist at the time Apple was asked for help.   He's not a US Citizen.  This wasn't a blanket ask.  .Gov gives exceptions and exemptions all the time.  Why not a one time deal for this? meh.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you have any data online you can expect the company hosting it to hand it over when they get a warrant. But making the Feds serve that warrant is the important bit, rather than just handing them the keys up front and saying, "Rummage through whatever you like."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They handed over massive amounts of information from the shooter's iCloud storage as well as transactional data from the phone apps.
And this is why I would never ever use Icloud.

If you have any data online you can expect the company hosting it to hand it over when they get a warrant. But making the Feds serve that warrant is the important bit, rather than just handing them the keys up front and saying, "Rummage through whatever you like."

I have no data/backups etc stored online other than pics.  if I had any data I would store it in a password protected truecrypt hidden container within a password protected container. This container would created and placed on a laptop with the wificard and network port connector unsoldered and removed.

Any data you really want safe is never hooked directly to a computer with internet access.

However since I have nothing to hide,  all my cat pics are on a thumbdrive in a folder named theNSAcanlickmyballs.

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:02:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, we should definitely trust the dumb ass holes at the FBI with a back door into our phones.

I’d trust Hillary Clinton over those stupid fucks.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep, you're retarded.
View Quote

Meh.  I've been called worse.  Even in GD.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Oh - so now we get advice from fictional TV characters?  rich.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Oh - so now we get advice from fictional TV characters?  rich.
View All Quotes

Oh - so now we get advice from fictional TV characters?  rich.

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#16]
They learned that the terrorist group that claimed responsibility after the attack was in fact, responsible for the attack. yes, that calls for everyone in the world to to want to their govt to have access to all of their personal communications and documents  
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:01:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I haven't read the whole thread but I'll say this.
don't believe everything in the news first of all.
second, vague claims are vague.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MikeEIB:
Man there are some dumb motherfuckers on this site. Looking at you people bashing Apple for this.
View Quote

Agreed.

There are people here who would welcome their Orwellian overlords with no Vaseline just to stop a handful of deaths.

Freedom hurts sometimes but it's worth it.

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:13:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I have made a killing off of their stock over the years.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By wcsv:

If Apple creates a backdoor it will be used against US citizens too.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#21]
normally I'm all about protecting the civil rights of US Citizens, but this POS wasn't American - so fuck him.
View Quote

If the FBI was worth a shit they wouldn't need his phone.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:21:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ToledoXJ:

If the FBI was worth a shit they wouldn't need his phone.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ToledoXJ:
normally I'm all about protecting the civil rights of US Citizens, but this POS wasn't American - so fuck him.

If the FBI was worth a shit they wouldn't need his phone.

Finding terrorists is hard, yo. It’s ever so much easier just manufacturing your own then “catching” them afterwards.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:25:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

He was a known terrorist at the time Apple was asked for help.   He's not a US Citizen.  This wasn't a blanket ask.  .Gov gives exceptions and exemptions all the time.  Why not a one time deal for this?  meh.
View Quote
So Apple should make special phones just for terrorists?
iPhone AQi?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So Apple should make special phones just for terrorists?
iPhone AQi?
View Quote

lol.  thought they already did.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:30:51 PM EDT
[#25]

He was a known terrorist at the time Apple was asked for help.   He's not a US Citizen.  This wasn't a blanket ask.  .Gov gives exceptions and exemptions all the time.  Why not a one time deal for this?  meh.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SperlingPE:

Was this individual a 'known' terrorist?  Is that was the case, what was he doing here training with our air force?
This is a tough question.
When is privacy trumped by protecting the lives of American citizens in the near or distant future?
Or when is the privacy of a US citizen trumped by protecting the lives of American citizens in the near or distant future?
Or when is the privacy of a non-US citizen trumped by protecting the lives of American citizens in the near or distant future?
Or when is the privacy of a US citizen trumped by protecting the lives of citizens of a country that is an allly?  not an ally?

He was a known terrorist at the time Apple was asked for help.   He's not a US Citizen.  This wasn't a blanket ask.  .Gov gives exceptions and exemptions all the time.  Why not a one time deal for this?  meh.

There is no “one time deal”
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:32:16 PM EDT
[#26]

disagree.  they gov didn't need to have a back door.  only apple needed to, and could have turned over the info without an ask.  no US citizens impacted.  terrorist in jail.  get both.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By macman37:
This is the First Amendment equivalent to the "I'm pro Second Amendment, but..."

You either believe in freedom or you don't.

disagree.  they gov didn't need to have a back door.  only apple needed to, and could have turned over the info without an ask.  no US citizens impacted.  terrorist in jail.  get both.

You don’t understand how math works.

It does not work that way.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:35:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By a555:
I think phones should have burner passwords where you can unlock the phone for some people with limited info, like having separate user accounts, or passwords that unlock the phone with limited info and send out a distress signal.
View Quote

And then no information in any of those phones is secure at all ever.

You do know people use their phones to pay for things right?  Banking information?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And then no information in any of those phones is secure at all ever.

You do know people use their phones to pay for things right?  Banking information?
View Quote
Wait till you see what's coming on healthcare side of things.

I definitely wouldn't want some government agency having access to that kinda data.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:45:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Just so I understand what the OP is saying,  the government should have the power to tell a private company what to manufacture and how to manufacture it.

Sounds like a few books I've read.
Something about government seizing the means of production.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:54:25 AM EDT
[#30]
The NSA collects everything, every email, text message and phone call. We are told this helps us catch terrorists. The FBI could have asked the NSA for this information yet they didn’t. Because this was not a US person, they didn’t even need a FISA warrant to do it. Why did they have to ask apple for help?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:03:43 AM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

Was this individual a 'known' terrorist?  Is that was the case, what was he doing here training with our air force?
When is privacy trumped by protecting the lives of American citizens in the near or distant future?
Or when is the privacy of a US citizen trumped by protecting the lives of American citizens in the near or distant future?
Or when is the privacy of a non-US citizen trumped by protecting the lives of American citizens in the near or distant future?
Or when is the privacy of a US citizen trumped by protecting the lives of citizens of a country that is an allly?  not an ally?

Because it wasn't going to be a one time deal.  

The .gov was asking apple to build tools that give the government a backdoor to iOS devices for that case, and all future cases.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:23:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By DDalton:

Yeah, all they need is my cold dead fingertip.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DDalton:
Originally Posted By Gspointer:
Gov can get into my phone anytime they want as long as they don’t shoot me in the face first!

Yeah, all they need is my cold dead fingertip.

Dead skin won't activate the fingerprint unlock.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

It's clear that you don't understand how encryption works. Apple had no way to offer help, other than giving the government copies of his iCloud data and in-app purchase history, which they did.
If Apple were able to instantly circumvent their encryption, it wouldn't be encryption.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:36:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Barr announced today that they hacked the phone.  It took like a year.  That's a year that DOJ could have been acting on the intel  -- time wasted because Apple
View Quote
Time wasted because civil rights and privacy for the rest of us?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:43:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
terrorists don't play by the rules.
View Quote
Are you suggesting we shouldn't either, if the rules are "the constitution and bill of rights"?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
Wait till you see what's coming on healthcare side of things. 

I definitely wouldn't want some government agency having access to that kinda data.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Josh:

And then no information in any of those phones is secure at all ever. 

You do know people use their phones to pay for things right?  Banking information?

I definitely wouldn't want some government agency having access to that kinda data.

I believe it.  I work in hospital IT right now, and device integration is only getting tighter and more widespread.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Josh:

And then no information in any of those phones is secure at all ever. 

You do know people use their phones to pay for things right?  Banking information?

egads...
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:54:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Just so I understand what the OP is saying,  the government should have the power to tell a private company what to manufacture and how to manufacture it.

Sounds like a few books I've read.
Something about government seizing the means of production.
View Quote

Fail.

You & everyone else that didn't actually process what I wrote.   Never once did I say that the .gov should tell Apple anything.

What I did say is that it would have been nice if Apple had provided the data of their own volition .
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The NSA collects everything, every email, text message and phone call. We are told this helps us catch terrorists. The FBI could have asked the NSA for this information yet they didn't. Because this was not a US person, they didn't even need a FISA warrant to do it. Why did they have to ask apple for help?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Freedom even when it’s the harder more painful path.  Every time, all the time.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#41]
I see ops tripled down on his since I last ‘d
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It's clear that you don't understand how encryption works. Apple had no way to offer help, other than giving the government copies of his iCloud data and in-app purchase history, which they did.
If Apple were able to instantly circumvent their encryption, it wouldn't be encryption.
View Quote

Not arguing that.  Full disclosure, if it wasn't already clear, I don't know shit about encryption.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Are you suggesting we shouldn't either, if the rules are "the constitution and bill of rights"?
View Quote
Foreigners that just shot 11 people on US soil have a constitution and bill of rights?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By ManBearPack:
This can't be true GD told me Apple is superior to Android products.
View Quote

It is. Next question?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I believe it.  I work in hospital IT right now, and device integration is only getting tighter and more widespread.
View Quote

Rented a "smart house" last year....the TV talked to the fridge, the fridge talked to the lights, and the lights talked to the security system.  My wife told a joke, I laughed, the wife laughed, the fridge laughed, I drew my CCW and shot the fridge.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I see ops tripled down on his since I last 'd
View Quote

someone's got to keep GD occupied.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Not a fan of apple

I am A big fan of not giving the FBI a back door to peoples privacy

Good job Apple
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#48]
All I can find is where apple gave gigabytes of info about the Pensacola scum, but won’t provide the FBI with a “back door” into their products.
View All Quotes
All I can find is where apple gave gigabytes of info about the Pensacola scum, but won’t provide the FBI with a “back door” into their products.

Do you even want safety bro?  We all need to give up a little security so the FBI can provide it.  It's the safety and security we deserve.

ETA:
Originally Posted By ManBearPack:
This can't be true GD told me Apple is superior to Android products.

It is.  That's why the FBI has their panties in a bunch.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I see ops tripled down on his since I last 'd
View Quote

now with poll!
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:22:52 PM EDT
[#50]
So -- since OP doesn't know anything about encryption (established) -- can someone who does please explain if this is correct, and if not, why not :

1) .gov assumed Apple had a backdoor, Apple claimed otherwise

2) lacking Apple's assistance, .gov spent a year and eventually hacked the phone.

3) did .gov crack Apple's encryption -or- did they just crack the one phone in question?

4) if we assume the former, now .gov has built themselves a tool that works on potentially any iPhone --  a tool they most likely would not have had otherwise --
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top