I have:

A spear
A battle axe
A bastard sword
A gladius
A mace
A. couple of really big knives
A tomahawk
and a shit ton of ammo so that I never have to use any of it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:14:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Also the knowledge and ability to make gun powder and firearms.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:15:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I've worked on 3 people involved on the bad end of a swordsmanship display for various reasons.

1- patient A's arm was severed with a Katana in one downward strike. they said it blopped right on the floor.
2- patient B was cleaved right down the middle from the side of the neck down to mid sternum with a broadsword.
3- patient C was poke stabbed mid chest with a broadsword, huge wound.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:23:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Spear for stand off or defense against a mounted opponent. 
Scramasax and axe for up close or enclosed spaces.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:24:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've worked on 3 people involved on the bad end of a swordsmanship display for various reasons.

1- patient A's arm was severed with a Katana in one downward strike. they said it blopped right on the floor.
2- patient B was cleaved right down the middle from the side of the neck down to mid sternum with a broadsword.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:25:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
  1. halberd
View Quote
This along with a Gladius for close in work.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:26:39 AM EDT
[#8]
None shall pass!
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:26:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Something that is effective without needing to be sharp or that requires constant maintenance, but is also strong.  Perhaps an aluminum bat, or some other sort of bashing weapon.
View Quote

Exactly. My favorite hand weapon is a Cold Steel War hammer.....any ijit ( me! me!) can use it, and it is a VERY effective historical weapon.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:29:55 AM EDT
[#10]

one guy bought a broadsword at Mayfest as a BS goofball hobby toy and something like 2 weeks later cleaved that dude in damn near 2 while protecting himself in a home invasion.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:31:42 AM EDT
[#11]
BURN would be.. i pick him..

@BURN
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:35:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Unless you train several hours against water bottles, you are all wasting your time...

https://youtu.be/4dKwHOfd2dk
View Quote
Does Chum Lee's twin even realize that there is a drought going on in CA??  God damn....
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:37:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I guess they take the Renn Faire very seriously in your neck of the woods.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:38:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This isn't medieval Europe,  He said post apocalyptic.  Limited ammo.  Which means guns are still around, so firearms are still primary weapons.  I don't want to carry around a rifle and an eight foot fucking spear.  Melee is a secondary weapon, for me that means sword.  Without plate armor to deal with, the sabre would be the most technologically advanced sword.  Hand protection much better than a katana, and better steel.  I chose the cutlass because it's a little shorter, and has a more robust construction than the sabre. Sabre would be my second choice, preferably Polish.
View Quote

No, it's not. As such the last swords used by sword fighters when armor was not used and firearms were limited was the rapier. The cavalry saber was meant for ride-by attacks to increase swing while on horseback, so unless you are a master rider I would probably put some big clunky saber away. It is good for it's purpose, nothing more. Same with maces and war hammers, great against armor but heavy and unwieldy otherwise. Also, unless you spear folks are going to pal around with 50 of your closest friends to make a shield wall and spears to support it I would go with something better, like a sword.

Swords were the pinnacle of melee fighting because they were adaptable, had the ability to cut, stab, and bash if needed, and had the largest striking zones of hand weapons. Hitting anywhere with the two sharpened planes of attack and you will do some damage, unlike spears/maces/hammers/axes/etc. You all really need to brush up on your melee weapons.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:44:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

@BURN
View Quote

My bad breath and fat fueled night time gas would be a reckoning. Oh and I can swing both a bag of doorknobs or third grader with practiced ease.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:56:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where the fuck do you work?

For me, since no one is wearing plate or chain in all likelyhood, give me any light and quick blade such as a rapier with a good handguard. Give me a good kite shield with my ancient family arms painted on it as well!
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:56:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Dildo bat.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:59:53 AM EDT
[#18]
whatever the old Indian had in last of the mahicans  he messed up mogwa up pretty good
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:00:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:02:26 AM EDT
[#20]
This thread makes me realize I am unprepared for ammo-less combat.

Going with what I have on hand, it would be an entrenchment tool, and an Esee Junglas....

Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:02:48 AM EDT
[#21]
A short spear and a kukri.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:03:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Short sword and shield for me, probably a xiphos and aspis. Men armed with spears/polearms are far, far more effective when fighting in formation, and/or against cavalry. One of the reasons Greek hoplites carried a short sword was because it was their weapon of choice if the phalanx disintegrated (and the xiphos used by some Spartans was only about 12"-18" long).

It's just too easy to die in this situation with a spear; If the guy trying to kill you makes it past your spear point, you lose your head. If your spear gets stuck in his shield, or you only hit him with a glancing blow, you lose your head. Even if he gets stuck, he might still be able to strike you, and you could lose a limb or worse. Unless you're confident that you can stick your spear through the eye socket of a guy who's charging at you with a raised shield and sword, you might want to pick something else.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:04:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
whatever the old Indian had in last of the mahicans  he messed up mogwa up pretty good
View Quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunstock_war_club

Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:05:17 AM EDT
[#24]
I wouldn't mind one of these.

Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:06:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No, it's not. As such the last swords used by sword fighters when armor was not used and firearms were limited was the rapier. The cavalry saber was meant for ride-by attacks to increase swing while on horseback, so unless you are a master rider I would probably put some big clunky saber away. It is good for it's purpose, nothing more. Same with maces and war hammers, great against armor but heavy and unwieldy otherwise. Also, unless you spear folks are going to pal around with 50 of your closest friends to make a shield wall and spears to support it I would go with something better, like a sword.

Swords were the pinnacle of melee fighting because they were adaptable, had the ability to cut, stab, and bash if needed, and had the largest striking zones of hand weapons. Hitting anywhere with the two sharpened planes of attack and you will do some damage, unlike spears/maces/hammers/axes/etc. You all really need to brush up on your melee weapons.
View Quote
Not all sabres are cavalry.  Infantry sabres are lighter and more nimble.  Rapiers are long, heavy, and have very little cutting ability.  A sabre is a better all around tool.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:08:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:08:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:10:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:11:01 AM EDT
[#29]
My Viking ancestors would want me to carry this into battle, and on to Valhalla....

Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:11:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Polearm
View Quote

I practice HEMA.  We don't even use blunted pole arms because the practice is too dangerous and boring.

swords are OK but a spear will win more often than not
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:12:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

@BURN
View Quote

He is a big'un.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:15:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:15:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Someone post the spear vs sword video.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:19:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've been told that a spear is a superior weapon to a sword, but I'm curious why.
it makes sense that a spear is better to the untrained user, but what about a expert with a spear VS. an expert with a sword?

would the spear still win? it does have a longer reach...
View Quote
no weapon is superior, user is proficient or not and great swords were used to remove spear tips not 1 vs 1 fighting. Shorter weapons require greater timing, skill and training generally while spears are cheaper and have greater range.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:24:52 AM EDT
[#35]
I'll take an atlatl that doubles as a war club.  

Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:32:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Probably the ultimate incarnation of the fighting sword.  It came a century or two after the sword had a whole hell of a lot of battlefield utility, but hey, that's how shit happens sometimes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm going with the American Cavalry Saber

http://www.cavhooah.com/info/images/uploads/2010/05/CavHooah-Saber-300x300.jpg

Great for slashing, and stabbing, one handed, with knuckle protection

Probably the ultimate incarnation of the fighting sword.  It came a century or two after the sword had a whole hell of a lot of battlefield utility, but hey, that's how shit happens sometimes.

Cavalry sabers would suck as a melee weapon.

They didn't have sharpened edges. They were meant to be used by a guy on horseback to stab guys not on horseback.

If you're not a guy on horseback, they're worthless.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:39:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:43:40 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm honestly surprised people aren't bringing up spears or bayonet?

The tool is most effective as a hunting tool as well as a self defense weapon. It's also the easiest to make given you got sharp stones and some paracords to tie around a branch.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:47:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Nice Kukri.

I have a few Cold Steel San Mai blades. Good tools.

ETA: Cold Steel San Mai Bowies are up to the task of close in work, also.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:51:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

They didn't have sharpened edges. They were meant to be used by a guy on horseback to stab guys not on horseback.

View Quote
sabers chop not stab but yeah, chop down foot soldiers. Weight is forward to assist the motion.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:56:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Sword is a very destructive and scary weapon.
View Quote

So was my EX-Wife while on the RAG.....
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 3:03:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yeah...that's not a mace, it's a flail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always liked the concept of a mace...
https://i0.wp.com/www.publicmedievalist.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Flail-1-ball-91-p.jpg?resize=800%2C521

Just seems super effective.
Yeah...that's not a mace, it's a flail.

And was rarely used because even with training they would just as likely injure the one wielding it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 3:08:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I would make a semi auto crossbow.  Not sure at the moment what the powersourse would be but yet this is the route i'd take
View Quote

Chinese figured it out a few hundred years ago so I'm sure you'll come up with something.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 3:13:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
sabers chop not stab but yeah, chop down foot soldiers. Weight is forward to assist the motion. http://ryanwolfe.weebly.com/uploads/1/5/5/6/1556620/2728629.jpg?212x155
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sabers chop not stab but yeah, chop down foot soldiers. Weight is forward to assist the motion. http://ryanwolfe.weebly.com/uploads/1/5/5/6/1556620/2728629.jpg?212x155

You've obviously not handled many late period cavalry sabers, when they reached their peak of design and use. They don't have edges on them because, after the Napoleonic period, cavalry sabers were universally used as stabbing weapons. That's why Pattons 1913 pattern cavalry sabers was designed straight, not curved.

Let's hear our friend Patton comment on the sabers use

In the Peninsula War the English nearly always used the sword for cutting. The French dragoons, on the contrary, used only the point which, with their long straight swords caused almost always a fatal wound. This made the English protest that the French did not fight fair. Marshal Saxe wished to arm the French cavalry with a blade of a triangular cross section so as to make the use of the point obligatory. At Wagram, when the cavalry of the guard passed in review before a charge, Napoleon called to them, "Don't cut! The point! The point!"
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 3:15:10 AM EDT
[#45]
The Claymore OP...

Link Posted: 12/31/2016 3:16:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Cats.  Lots of claws, and more confusion.  Cats.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 3:17:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Double.... Tap.....  Meow...
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 3:25:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 4:01:39 AM EDT
[#49]
For the avg Joe that isn't a hand to hand expert? A tomahawk would be a decent option. Practical in many ways beyond fighting, too.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 4:10:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Cats.  Lots of claws, and more confusion.  Cats.
View Quote

Cats with nunchucks
Attachment Attached File
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top