Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 12/14/2021 6:55:56 PM EDT
from two master’s degrees. What should I do?

Question: “I’m 35 years old, I have one kid and another on the way. My partner is afraid to marry me because of my debt, and I don’t have a steady income. I have two masters degrees, and I owe $380K in student loans. I’m on the income program already and am worried about what happens when payments resume in January. I can’t afford to have the loans forgiven, because I think it’s a taxable event. Is there anything I can do to protect my family and lessen the blow for me?”

Yeah lady, your partner is smart - but not smart enough to not reproduce with you
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Partner should eject.
Baristas are sluts.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 6:57:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Biden will forgive student loans.

Said so.

What could possibly go wrong?

Link Posted: 12/14/2021 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#3]
We just did this one…
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Degrees in womyns studies or herstory?
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't even imagine having that much debt at 35. If he's not able to turn 2 masters degrees into a very high paying job, then he's the biggest sucker ever.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Really I think the best idea is to go back to school so she can learn what a dumb fucking retard she is.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Wife’s coworkers husband has co-signed on $500k of student loans for his daughter that she refuses to pay.   They are in the mid-60’s and will never be able to retire.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:01:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I wonder what those two Masters degrees are in?
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wife’s coworkers husband has co-signed on $500k of student loans for his daughter that she refuses to pay.   They are in the mid-60’s and will never be able to retire.
View Quote

Fuck.......
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Whats the monthly on a 380k school loan?
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Haha, I wouldn't marry an idiot either.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just default the loan.

If they are that old and they have their ducks in a row the loans won’t affect them at all.

Are they buying a house or other big purchase that late in life?

And defaulted student loans don’t hurt your credit score that bad.

They would be fine.

On the other hand, do they still allow their daughter to come around?  After the fucking she gave them, she should be out of the family.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Who the fuck assume $380k of student loan debt? Seriously?

My ex wife's  best friend joined the army doctor program. She served and they payed for her education.

I got a B.S. and a masters off the gi bill after serving.

I've worked with people who's parents paid their education.

There's  always a way.  Loaning $380k and having no real money making power afterwards is dumb. Eject worthy.  I'd  never stay with a woman much less breed with one with over a quarter million dollars of debt.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:07:02 PM EDT
[#14]
pics of partner?
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Read the article. I like how it's all about potential ways to get out of having to pay part or all of the debt.

Nothing in there about "work hard, work more than one job, work toward getting a better job, and pay it off."
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Just default the loan.

If they are that old and they have their ducks in a row the loans won’t affect them at all.

They would be fine.

On the other hand, do they still allow their daughter to come around?  After the fucking she gave them, she should be out of the family.
View Quote

Student loans never go away.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wife's coworker might have to get a second job at Bed Bath and Beyond to cover this

The Other Guy - I got two jobs Bed Bath and Beyond
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Johnny Mandel Suicide is painless with lyrics
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Clearly not basic mathematics.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#21]
The only reason why you should have that much Student Loan Debt is because you are a Dr, have a law degree from a top level program or the like.

Otherwise, poor choices, you made them.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:11:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I can't even imagine having that much debt at 35. If he's not able to turn 2 masters degrees into a very high paying job, then he's the biggest sucker ever.
View Quote

talking to my orthopedist he said he had something like $750K when he got out of med school. He's the same age that I am and he's just about set to pay that loan off. I asked him when he's going to pull the pin. He said as soon as he works down his daughter's education loans. I'm 68. Damn it's bad enough paying off your own loans without having to cover someone else's. But, at least he's doing it and not relying on the state to do it. I am so glad that I had my old man's steel setting company to work for while in hs and college. I graduated with very, very, little owed.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Sounds like she put the cart in front of the horse. Don’t pop out a couple of kids before you have a steady job and spouse.  Dumb bitch got it all backwards.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nuke engineering and physics

Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Just default the loan.

They would be fine.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just default the loan.

They would be fine.

this, let the bank go after the bitch.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Lady is stupid and student loans shouldn't be guaranteed by .gov.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

From my comment in the other thread.

bachelor degree+ Xmasters degree + Ymasters degree + job = 380K
Divide both sides by job
solve for X & Y and

Someone with XY chromosomes wouldn't obtain those degrees and therefore have jobs.

The science is settled.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
from two master’s degrees. What should I do?

Yeah lady, your partner is smart - but not smart enough to not reproduce with you
View Quote

OBJECTION! Assumes facts not in evidence!
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#29]
LoL

Yeah, no shit
Marrying into a ton of debt isn’t going to help grow a family
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well unless you’re a doctor in which case I could see that number being legit. My wife got very lucky in medical school and came out with minimal debt and we are planning to retire in the next 24 months completely at age 52. Her coworker in residency on the other hand still has close to $300,000 in medical school debt after 20 yrs as an MD and she’s something like 54 or 55 right now and basically said she’s going to have to work until she’s in her 70s just to pay her loans off. Of course she also has to drive a Lexus because of her image and she has to buy an expensive house in the historic district because of her image so there are certain life choices that played into that.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Student loans never go away.
View Quote
They do on death.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Divide both sides by job
solve for X & Y and

Someone with XY chromosomes wouldn't obtain those degrees and therefore have jobs.

The science is settled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Divide both sides by job
solve for X & Y and

The science is settled.

You would subtract the job from both sides, not divide...

And masters degrees are free in STEM fields, either because you're working as a TA and doing school full time or because your employer is paying for you to get it part-time.
You have to really suck ass to need to pay for a STEM masters.

Or go teach at a Title 1 school in the ghetto for 5 years continuously (you can't take a year off for your first kid or switch to a good school then come back to do a fifth year, etc), then the feds forgive your student loans.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Student loans are a form of loan sharking.

We know that the decision making part of the brain isn’t formed until all these decisions are years in the rear view.

I took out loans. I paid them back in full.

But, most people making these decisions have no idea the ramifications of taking out these loans.

When buying a house, we see the full cost we’ll pay. I don’t remember seeing that for student loans.

With all that said, there is ample evidence that this woman doesn’t make good decisions. Neither does her partner.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Well, your "partner" is smarter than you are by not marrying you with your dual degrees and dual loans.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Man, the most debt I EVER had was around $13k and I felt like I was drowning
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:23:12 PM EDT
[#36]
But just think...she's paying those loans off with inflated worthless dollars, so having all that debt is  a GOOD thing! Her education will end up being basically free!

I hope she has several hundred thousand in house debt too. Otherwise she'll NEVER accumulate any wealth.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:23:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Pay your debts that you willingly entered into...
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:23:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Fuck you, pay me.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#39]
I’ve ejected twice after GF’s disclosed that they had similar student loan debt. If you’re going to rack up that much debt for a degree, it should not be for something stupid like Social Work or Art History.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:25:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Lulz

But I genuinely wonder if payments will actually resume
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:26:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I mean, $385k mortgage ain’t much
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#42]
My BIL had about 400K in loans...

He made just shy of a million bucks his first year out and paid them off in about 18 months or so.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Oh hell. I dont even know you and I am running hard the other way.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:29:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dumb shit and Dumber shit
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I mean, $385k mortgage ain't much
View Quote
It is when you have $385k debt and no real job.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

talking to my orthopedist he said he had something like $750K when he got out of med school. He's the same age that I am and he's just about set to pay that loan off. I asked him when he's going to pull the pin. He said as soon as he works down his daughter's education loans. I'm 68. Damn it's bad enough paying off your own loans without having to cover someone else's. But, at least he's doing it and not relying on the state to do it. I am so glad that I had my old man's steel setting company to work for while in hs and college. I graduated with very, very, little owed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your orthopedist had $750,000 in debt when he got out of med school and he is 68 years old?  Say he's 18 starting college, 4 years undergrad, 4 years med school, say he's late 20's when got out, so 40ish years ago, in 1980, he had racked up $750,000 college loans?  That seems high.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:30:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

can't learn financial education in the PubEd system, it's fundamentally incapable of teaching it anyways
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
pics of partner?
View Quote

DangerhairSheOgre.jpg

@JLPettimoreIII
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#49]
I like how this goes to show that having a college education, two masters degrees in this case, is not an indication of intelligence. So many people see it that way.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#50]
But they party it up during spring break!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top