Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#1]
This is ... much uglier than I expected.

Luckily I've moved beyond the WRX income bracket since I last bought one.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll keep my '21 STi (at least till '23)
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 4:07:43 PM EDT
[#3]
slow, ugly and probably breaks. yippie.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Obviously I’m in the minority ‘cause I think it looks ok. Not great but not terrible.

That said, I have a 2021 WRX (base) and like the looks of it. Is it kinda anemic? Yeah until around 3500-4000 RPMs.  I was actually gonna get a Crosstrek but couldn’t find a manual one. I didn’t pay that much more for my WRX than a Crosstrek Sport.

And a chick car? LOL what girl these days can drive a manual transmission car? Hell, many “guys” these days can’t.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 5:37:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Lol toyota camry had 300 hp with no turbo
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#6]
That's about as much power as my Mitsubishi Evo 8 from 2003.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Obviously I’m in the minority ‘cause I think it looks ok. Not great but not terrible.

That said, I have a 2021 WRX (base) and like the looks of it. Is it kinda anemic? Yeah until around 3500-4000 RPMs.  I was actually gonna get a Crosstrek but couldn’t find a manual one. I didn’t pay that much more for my WRX than a Crosstrek Sport.

And a chick car? LOL what girl these days can drive a manual transmission car? Hell, many “guys” these days can’t.
View Quote

My girlfriend drives a manual Crosstrek.

I've test driven WRX's multiple times. I WANT to buy one, put a deposit on a 2021. Every time I drive one I'm disappointed. My Civic SI with much less power is more enjoyable to drive, plus it has active cruise control, emergency braking, and lane keep assist that Subaru refuses to offer on their manual cars. So, i guess I'll drive my truck on the 10 or 12 days a year I need 4 wheel drive a year & keep my Honda.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Les-baru
View Quote

The guy also has the same Florida plate for his car down there.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My girlfriend drives a manual Crosstrek.

View Quote

And you know how unusual both of those are (girl driving manual & a manual Crosstrek)
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/h40cYvgZ/xzx.jpg

The guy also has the same Florida plate for his car down there.
View Quote

Lol. That’s awesome.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I need an STI wagon with like 400 hp to be interested in today’s market.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I need an STI wagon with like 400 hp to be interested in today's market.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/11/2021 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn gets uglier every time.
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#14]
How many times before 200k miles will you need to replace the head gasket?
Link Posted: 9/11/2021 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
LOL what girl these days can drive a manual transmission car?
View Quote

There was girl with a 2020 6MT WRX at cars & coffee this morning.

Girl I dated a few years ago only ever owned manuals, and she was younger than me, too. IIRC, all of the road-going MT vehicles that one of my coworkers owns are technically his wife's. They are certainly out there.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 12:20:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Lol toyota camry had 300 hp with no turbo
View Quote

And it's 3600 lbs and front-wheel drive. WRX would beat the pants off it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Those regular sedans are also priced higher than the WRX, the Toyota and Camry start at 10k above the WRX starting price. Subaru has exploded WRX sales by keeping it the affordable option, even if that doesn't excite people chasing numbers. Unfortunately they are making way more money playing it safe than they ever did trying to push the boundary.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been looking at the new Toyota 86 and the new WRX but they just lack the horse power - yea, they are nimble, but why the lower horsepower numbers?  They really need to bump those up.  As noted a few posts up, regular sedans now put almost as much if not more in some cases.

Those regular sedans are also priced higher than the WRX, the Toyota and Camry start at 10k above the WRX starting price. Subaru has exploded WRX sales by keeping it the affordable option, even if that doesn't excite people chasing numbers. Unfortunately they are making way more money playing it safe than they ever did trying to push the boundary.
While the "turbo AWD" is cool there's a ton of options for sports cars, sports sedans, and hatches, even competent FWD ones that are in the same price range. There is absolutely no reason why Subaru couldn't have a 200-250hp crosstrek or a full power WRX hatch again to provide some versatility to those of us that want to have our cake and eat it too. Most manufacturers are getting away from sedans and going to SUV's so it seems pretty logical to have some better hatch/cuv options on that platform.

In the vacuum Subaru created with the lack of hatches Ford was killing it with the Focus hatch with the RS and ST options and the Fiesta ST is *really* underrated for a fun around town versatile hot hatch. Same for VW with the GTI and Golf R. The Alltrack was a nice option that had a manual as well for those that wanted a wagon and not a hatch for a few years with extra ground clearance too.

The current base WRX is $27,495 MSRP with a Limited starting at $32k; and an STi is $37,245 with the limited at $42k. A BRZ is $29k, 86 $27k, an Ecoboost mustang starts at $27k, Camaro 2.0l $26k, 3.6l $28k,. K5 GT $31k, Veloster $32k, Miata $26k, Mazda 3 sedan/hatch turbo/awd is about $30-31k, Mazda 6 turbo $30k, Jetta GLI $26k, Golf GTI $28k. The Genesis G70 has a RWD manual option that starts around $37k too but '21 is the last year for the manual. If you want something bigger and muscley then you can get a Charger/Challenger GT in AWD with a 300hp V6 for about $34-$36k. A Tesla Model 3 RWD is $36k.

An Outback XT is $35k and the Wilderness XT is $37k. That's a serious damn value to get a good balance of power, cargo, interior amenities, and ground clearance. Which is why Subaru has been constantly shooting themselves in the dick for the last 7ish years with no performance smaller hatch. The crosstrek sport that finally got the 2.5l but the horrible CVT is only $26k but even then that only puts the crosstrek at the same 0-60 as my '17 Forester 2.5i premium. For power/versatility that also opens up the new Santa Cruz with 281hp/awd that starts at $36k and the Ford Maverick loaded out with FX4 and options is about $38k. For smaller versatile a CHR and HRV are loaded out at around $26k but have snoozeville drivetrains.

Subaru is fading into obscurity fast. They've had less of a trajectory and more of a flatline for years now.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Really wish they’d bring back the 2 door.

Miss my 2.5RS
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 1:48:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Considering the new Z pumps out 400hp 400 tq,  271 is weak.
Link Posted: 9/12/2021 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Really wish they'd bring back the 2 door.

Miss my 2.5RS
View Quote
I always wanted one of those. I fell in love with the 22b STi way back in the early 2000's with this article where they did old vs new school comparo with the 22b STi vs Pontiac Trans Am of the same year.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 8:31:03 AM EDT
[#22]
The new base wrx infotainment setup is gross too.

Attachment Attached File

Versus the current gen base setup:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/18/2021 8:36:01 AM EDT
[#23]

That's completely "go be poor somewhere else" and looks like some shit aftermarket you'd get from Bestbuy after they ran out of Crutchfield components. In 2010.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 8:37:12 AM EDT
[#24]
That's no wagon. Pass.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 6:27:42 AM EDT
[#25]
aaaand I ordered a new WRX yesterday. It should be here in November. Base model, WR blue.

The 2021 model, not this new 2022 generation.

(palate cleanser!)
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/19/2021 6:36:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
aaaand I ordered a new WRX yesterday. It should be here in November. Base model, WR blue.

(palate cleanser!)
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/394169/1933012D-FC99-49E3-8DBA-5B62C82CA709_jpe-2096557.JPG
View Quote

Congrats!

Subarus are the most annoying sound known to man, please don't put an exhaust on your car.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 6:49:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Congrats!

Subarus are the most annoying sound known to man, please don't put an exhaust on your car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(palate cleanser!)
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/394169/1933012D-FC99-49E3-8DBA-5B62C82CA709_jpe-2096557.JPG
Congrats!

Only plans so far involve a winter wheel & tire setup. The car won't be here until the winter and it comes with summer performance tires

Haven't decided if I want to buy a set of steels for the winter, or sell the factory tires and use the factory wheels for the winter then buy a new set of wheels and tires for the summer.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 6:55:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Only plans so far involve a winter wheel & tire setup. The car won't be here until the winter and it comes with summer performance tires

Haven't decided if I want to buy a set of steels for the winter, or sell the factory tires and use the factory wheels for the winter then buy a new set of wheels and tires for the summer.
View Quote

:) same problem here. BTW I was mostly teasing, I hate the subi noise but they're good looking and nice cars.

So annoying you pay for suboptimal rims/tires, I think you should just run them a few years and you'll be fine.
Get your money out of those tires then change to what you want.

At least half of the road captains are driving POS worn out tires anyways, they aren't changing to winter tires.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:19:50 AM EDT
[#29]
My 2009 WRX that spun a rod bearing at 7500 miles made 265 hp.  In 13 years they are producing just about the same hp and look more like a Honda. I will add that I’ve always wanted to implant an STi drivetrain into an old Brat.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:26:31 AM EDT
[#30]
THis was the best gen WRX/STi. They've gone down hill massively since. This new one sucks balls...

Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:29:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(palate cleanser!)
Congrats!

I had this same issue when I bought my Evo. I just ended up buying another set of OEM Evo MR BBS wheels used from someone (a lot of people that buy these cars swap out wheels real quick so OEM ones are - at least were - readily available for cheap). Obviously if you want bigger diameter/width that won't work, but I didn't want to get rid of the OEM Yokos as they were kick ass tires. The Enkis that came on the car got the winters.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:05:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
271 and 258what pathetic numbers in this day and age. Jesus subaru. And this is from someone who has had two turbo Legacies, and at one point owned a GC8, bug eye, and blob at the same time. What a fucking disappointment.

ETA VA .2 model. But uglier. If they'd bring back the hatch, it might look decent but that cladding and weird trunk/c pillar is gross.
View Quote

Exactly! Focus RS 2.4L ecoboost 350 hp. Even the 2.0L ecobbost ST has more torque and those cars are retired in the US.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Well... I don't hate it.

All the black plastic makes sense for a "rally car" I guess.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 9:13:16 AM EDT
[#34]
My 93 octane tuned 2019 Ford Ranger supposedly makes 330 HP and 400 TQ on paper with its 2.3 twin-scroll turbo EB motor. (Factory Rating: 270 / 310)

Those numbers seem kind of low for a car meant for spirited drives. Then again, its not an STi.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 9:30:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well... I don't hate it.

All the black plastic makes sense for a "rally car" I guess.
View Quote

As long as it has additional reinforcement to protect the ass of Timo.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 10:31:28 AM EDT
[#36]
I was kind of blown away at what a step back that system is. The infotainment in my '17 Forester 2.5i premium is pretty well integrated similar to the current WRX's. Would have expected something similar at least for the base model with a larger screen for the higher trims.

It really looks like some shitty fucking walmart/crutchfield install hackjob.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Wow… a whole 271 hp?????  In a PERFORMANCE car?  And super bland, super “safe” styling to go with it???
Looks like a sedan version of the Pontiac Aztek.

Subdue (autocorrect changed “Subie” but I think it fits)  STILL hasn’t figured out how to recapture the original WRX formula.

Let me guess… for even more spice, the “sti” package will add a wing, special interior fabrics/ wild colors, and 25hp — for an additional $10k right?

So sad that the once-great WRX has been gelded in such a way.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Wow a whole 271 hp?????  In a PERFORMANCE car?  And super bland, super "safe" styling to go with it???

Subdue (autocorrect changed "Subie" but I think it fits)  STILL hasn't figured out how to recapture the original WRX formula.

Let me guess for even more spice, the "sti" package will add a wing, special interior fabrics/ wild colors, and 25hp  for an additional $10k right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Wow a whole 271 hp?????  In a PERFORMANCE car?  And super bland, super "safe" styling to go with it???

Subdue (autocorrect changed "Subie" but I think it fits)  STILL hasn't figured out how to recapture the original WRX formula.

Let me guess for even more spice, the "sti" package will add a wing, special interior fabrics/ wild colors, and 25hp  for an additional $10k right?

Don't forget shittier ride too. Maybe this time though they can make the STi faster 0-60 then the WRX and be more than slightly faster in the 1/4 then the last version.
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2020-subaru-wrx-and-wrx-sti-series-white-first-test/
Those launch difficulties hobbled the STI's acceleration; it was slower on the 0-60 mph run than the regular WRX, taking 6 seconds flat compared to the WRX's 5.6 seconds. Despite being more powerful, the STI barely beat the WRX on the quarter mile run (14.2 seconds at 101.6 mph vs. 14.0 seconds at 98.7 mph).

Link Posted: 9/19/2021 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Don't forget shittier ride too. Maybe this time though they can make the STi faster 0-60 then the WRX and be more than slightly faster in the 1/4 then the last version.
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2020-subaru-wrx-and-wrx-sti-series-white-first-test/

View Quote

The current STI should be able to go faster than that, but that driveline has always straddled the fine line between snapping something and absolutely dying off the line. I think the move to the electronic center diff certainly didn’t help either as that was when all the reviewers starting falling on their face trying to launch it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#40]

Subaru: “Hey VW can we borrow your homework on the new Golf interior?”
VW: “Ok but you only have a minute to do so”
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 7:10:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

(palate cleanser!)
View Quote
Dealer canceled my order they're pushed back so much that their order date got cut and those of us who ordered a 21 recently got axed.

There's a 2019 STI they just got in but they're asking only $400 less for it than a new one
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Dealer canceled my order they're pushed back so much that their order date got cut and those of us who ordered a 21 recently got axed.

There's a 2019 STI they just got in but they're asking only $400 less for it than a new one
View Quote

That's a damn shame, but not all that surprising given the time of year and current supply situation.

Every new article on the WRX continues to disappoint. The fact that you are stuck with the CVT in the better trims is a seemingly odd choice but it just reinforces that they are moving the WRX away from the cheap rally car stigma to a "sensible" commuter.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Wow… a whole 271 hp?????  In a PERFORMANCE car?  And super bland, super “safe” styling to go with it???
Looks like a sedan version of the Pontiac Aztek.

Subdue (autocorrect changed “Subie” but I think it fits)  STILL hasn’t figured out how to recapture the original WRX formula.

Let me guess… for even more spice, the “sti” package will add a wing, special interior fabrics/ wild colors, and 25hp — for an additional $10k right?

View Quote

And here's how I know you don't know what you're talking about.  STI is not a package, it's a different car.
STI usually has:
Different Transmission
Different differentials
Different brakes
Different Engine and/or turbo
Different Intercooler
Different Wheels
Different hood scoop
Different seats
Different suspension

It's why when a subaru guy says "I added 25 hp so now it's essentially an STI" they are wrong. It would cost a lot of money to "convert" a WRX into an STI.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Underpowered. Garbage engine. Looks like a Honda Civic like 2 gems ago.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

And here's how I know you don't know what you're talking about.  STI is not a package, it's a different car.
STI usually has:
Different Transmission
Different differentials
Different brakes
Different Engine and/or turbo
Different Intercooler
Different Wheels
Different hood scoop
Different seats
Different suspension

It's why when a subaru guy says "I added 25 hp so now it's essentially an STI" they are wrong. It would cost a lot of money to "convert" a WRX into an STI.
View Quote

Subaru has also been known to add cosmetic STI packages, like on the BRZ.

It’s completely unknown what they will do with the next gen WRX STI at this point, but it would be foolish to get your hopes up too much with what we’ve seen so far.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 4:36:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Nice. Not as good as the last wagons we got but still cool.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Subaru has also been known to add cosmetic STI packages, like on the BRZ.

It’s completely unknown what they will do with the next gen WRX STI at this point, but it would be foolish to get your hopes up too much with what we’ve seen so far.
View Quote

It's possible, but for the last 17 years they haven't done it that way. It would be a massive departure from the past.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 4:13:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Only Australia!

WTF Subaru, people have been vocal about wanting a wagon WRX since it was discontinued.  

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top