Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 26
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 4:04:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zaskar017] [#1]

@OP
How do you think these would come out?

Could you make Pepe faces into selector markings? Or would they be too small?
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 4:16:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

All very doable. Would just have to pay someone to redraw them. I'm not great starting from scratch like that.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By ORjeepguy:

All very doable. Would just have to pay someone to redraw them. I'm not great starting from scratch like that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Gotcha. I’ll see what I can do.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By zaskar017:

Gotcha. I’ll see what I can do.
Thanks.
View Quote

I have a guy that does it for me. Think he typically charges 25 bucks each.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 9:16:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 9:26:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 9:50:11 PM EDT
[#8]
The silliness of this thread already makes it one of the best of ‘23
LoL

Keep it going
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 11:53:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:01:53 AM EDT
[#10]
You're really making some great lowers
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:12:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By brian1:
You're really making some great lowers
View Quote

Thanks! Fun to do
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:20:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:09:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ORjeepguy] [#13]
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 2:03:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Is there a relatively inexpensive but reliable jig for completing the milling?  I'd like to do one or two lowers but I really don't want to drop a bunch on a jig for that few lowers.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 2:12:36 AM EDT
[#15]

My first issue M16 was a GM Hydra Matic at Ft Benning in the winter of 1980. I had been looking for an 80% for a long time. A user here set me up with one about a year or so ago.
There was a company in Texas that did them. When I tried to order, I found out they were out of business but their website was still up and enabled to take orders. I did a charge back, but they fought it and the charge back was delayed I did get my charge reversed, but it took awhile.

I forgot all about this thread. I need to send my blank 80% to you and get the Mattel logo done.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 2:15:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:
Is there a relatively inexpensive but reliable jig for completing the milling?  I'd like to do one or two lowers but I really don't want to drop a bunch on a jig for that few lowers.
View Quote

Look on the EE. I’ve seen the 5D Tactical jigs come up for sale every now and again at good prices. I have the 5D Tactical jig nd it is really easy to do.
I don’t get how some fuck it up so badly that it looks like a beaver on LSD did it. But Reddit shows how uncoordinated some people are. Some should never be allowed around anything sharper than a Twinkie.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 7:43:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ORjeepguy] [#17]
Originally Posted By 50cal:

My first issue M16 was a GM Hydra Matic at Ft Benning in the winter of 1980. I had been looking for an 80% for a long time. A user here set me up with one about a year or so ago.
There was a company in Texas that did them. When I tried to order, I found out they were out of business but their website was still up and enabled to take orders. I did a charge back, but they fought it and the charge back was delayed I did get my charge reversed, but it took awhile.

I forgot all about this thread. I need to send my blank 80% to you and get the Mattel logo done.
View Quote

I am pretty happy with how the DOD stamp turned out. I tried to keep it a bit rough, to look like a stamp. The detail though. It's great.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 7:48:00 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

I'm using an old jig I bought about 10 years ago. Agree with the other post about watching the EE. Either that or buy the 5D kit. Mill out a handful of lowers then sell it and make most of your money back.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 8:27:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Look on the EE. I’ve seen the 5D Tactical jigs come up for sale every now and again at good prices. I have the 5D Tactical jig nd it is really easy to do.
I don’t get how some fuck it up so badly that it looks like a beaver on LSD did it. But Reddit shows how uncoordinated some people are. Some should never be allowed around anything sharper than a Twinkie.
View Quote

I have a 5D jig. It’s easy to get a nice result. How people manage to fuck it up is amazing.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 9:14:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By RV8guy:

I have a 5D jig. It’s easy to get a nice result. How people manage to fuck it up is amazing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RV8guy:

I got the 80% Arms Easy Jig 3 because 5D was out of stock when I wanted to order.

Pretty much the same jig as I understand it. Posted about my new adventure and had quite a few of the opinion I would just butcher up some 80% lowers. I presume from past personal experience.

Had no problems making clean FCG pockets. My only issue was the first couple I cut, the selector lever wasn't quite indexed properly and wouldn't point directly at the markings.

Figured out that the side parts of the jig had a bit of variation. You need to set up the jig with a known good lower so that the selector hole is put in the right position.

After I started doing this, no more misaligned selectors.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By brian1:
Use caution with 308s, especially from 80%.   I just built one.  LOTS of incompatibilities.  Not like the AR-15 world at all.
I had 2 PSA 308 uppers; an older one and a newer PA-10.   After a lot of of screwing around and buying more and more parts, in addition to the period DPMS LPK, as well as having to modify both my upper and the bolt catch, I finally got the first one done.  I did a thread on it here a couple months ago.   I had planned to get a second 80% lower to build out the PA-10 upper.   After the experience with the first one, I just said to hell with it and bought a 100% PA-10 lower from PSA for the second one.   I've built lots of AR-15s, but the 308 world is a whole 'nuther thing.

ETA:
archived thread from December about some of the 308 problems
Looks like the imgur pics disappeared, but I can resurrect them if anyone wants details
View Quote

This is the problem with .308.  They made more than one style...even when you do get the correct style it can be "unique."

https://gundigest.com/rifles/ar-15/decoding-the-ar-10-lower-receiver

I have milled out a few 80% arms .308 lowers.  My biggest complaint is the gap between the upper and lower using a DPMS upper.  I wouldn't say the gap is bigger than a glock but bigger than the AR-15 stuff I used to have before the boating accident....

Back on topic though...

Neat stuff.
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 2:34:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#23]
View Quote
If you have a mill, or at least a drill press and a milling table, I use the ones from Tactical Machining.   I also use their lowers.
$90 - can't beat that.   OOS right now, but I ordered one for a friend a month or so ago, so they do get them in stock.
Best bang for the buck, IMO
Tactical Machining 80% AR-15 jig
They also make a jig for 308, but IMO with all the 308 platform variances, it's probably best used on a TMI 80% 308 lower.

Link Posted: 3/8/2023 2:46:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sandboxmedic] [#24]
Doh!  Don't know why I didn't think to check the EE first.  I'll keep my eyes open.  I've got routers but no trim router and I've got a good drill press and fixtures for it.  I sure wish folks were doing build parties like the old AK build parties but I'd be leery of who showed up these days as well.

I've actually got two of the old Tannery shop lowers and one of their jigs somewhere but those lowers needed more work and the jig does not help with the fire control pockets.  I expect a machinist could adapt it to work, but I'm definitely no machinist.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 3:29:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#25]
For foolproof, there's the 80percentarms one and the 5Dtactical one.   Both seem the same; probably one copied the other, but I don't know which one came first.   Comparable pricing.  A lot more cost than a TMI jig, but super easy to use.  In the $300-$350 range, plus tooling, plus router.  Both available with or without router.  One advantage is they will work with AR-15, 308, 9mm, etc   I have used the 80percentarms one.  If you can be patient and follow simple directions, you really can't screw it up.

80 percent arms version

5D Tactical version
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 11:58:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:04:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm not ridiculous, you're ridiculous.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Multitudes:

I love sriracha. That is bad ass. I’d get the lower in red and color fill white to match my red anodized upper and hand guard. Nice fellow OR bro. Nice.
View Quote

That is cool as hell. What do you guys do for finishing the 80% lowers?
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:09:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Girthrockwel:

That is cool as hell. What do you guys do for finishing the 80% lowers?
View Quote

Typically cerekote. Can take it to an anodize shop also.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:09:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Adding a cock to the other side
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/185965/20230205_184856_jpg-2700127.JPG

Video of engraving in process.
https://youtube.com/shorts/FPqUmGQk-hc?feature=share
View Quote

That’s an awfully big cock you got there.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:19:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 11:37:30 PM EDT
[#32]
The Siracha lower engraving is cool as heck!!!   That laser engraver is nice but out of my price range.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Working on a copy of the leaked Glock rifle.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Nehi:

Sandy ruins the whole thing
View Quote

Why you no like Sandy Cheeks?
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 1:52:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 9:31:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ORjeepguy] [#37]
Wife saw the spongebob lower. Wanted another pot done.
Layering for fun doesn't pay the bills, but if it makes her happy
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 8:24:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Haven't had many orders lately. Doing some random stuff for my wife.
Brass tags for her purse.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#39]
My 5D jig should be here tomorrow. And a 5 pack of lowers Monday… lol

Dickbutt lower probably destined to an SPR I think. Big heavy dick rifle
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 8:34:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ORjeepguy] [#40]
Originally Posted By apierce918:

View Quote

Once you realize how easy it is, you just keep turning them out.
I polished my first 80 to a mirror finish because I didn't know how I wanted to coat it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By apierce918:

View Quote

Big dickbutt energy 😅
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:29:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Wife has some favorite bag company that she likes. Part of a Facebook group or something. Her version of arfcom.
Made her a tag for her purse.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 2:29:26 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm trying to convince myself I need a fiber laser and this thread definitely helps .  Have you tried to do any glass?  I think CO2 is more suited for it, but I'm curious if you have tried.  The wife has 2 glasses her friend had custom made for her and I would love to make some more.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By BLK_MAJK:
I'm trying to convince myself I need a fiber laser and this thread definitely helps .  Have you tried to do any glass?  I think CO2 is more suited for it, but I'm curious if you have tried.  The wife has 2 glasses her friend had custom made for her and I would love to make some more.
View Quote

Fiber does not work on glass without some kind of coating first. The coating basically imbeds into the glass, I guess.
I've done some reading, but have not tried it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 3:36:26 PM EDT
[#45]
My hometown maker space has this

i wonder if they will let me burn mags and lowers

it has a rotisserie and they etch glassware

https://www.troteclaser.com/en-us/laser-machines/laser-engravers-speedy-series
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By doc_Zox:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3097/C5DE02CA-48A1-45DB-843C-D30DD341E059-2749373.jpgMy hometown maker space has this

i wonder if they will let me burn mags and lowers

it has a rotisserie and they etch glassware

https://www.troteclaser.com/en-us/laser-machines/laser-engravers-speedy-series
View Quote

Co2 or fiber?
Co2 will work on mags. Won't engrave metal though.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Doing a little color on stainless for fun. Gift for a fellow Arfcomer
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:24:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Making a leather stamp for a buddy.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#49]

Co2 or fiber?
Co2 will work on mags. Won't engrave metal though.
View Quote

its got both

Get endless application options with the patented Flexx Technology . CO2 and fiber lasers are integrated in one machine.  With this you can offer more laser products to your customers. Direct metal marking, annealing or any conceivable CO2 laser application can be done with one machine.
From wood to glass to plastic, you can process anything with just 2 mouse clicks. Less steps than any other laser machine on the market.

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#50]
This thread is fun
Page / 26
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top