BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3289
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:55:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WIC:

Exactly. The expensive stuff is still expensive, but pretty much everything else is in the pits. I have no motivation to sell my low end stuff that I am not using. Maybe my kids can have fun reminiscing some day about all the bad decisions daddy made.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 3xpert:

No worries, just jokin!
But new, they add up to a little over 1K.

But tack on depreciation and adjust for inflation = ?

Exactly. The expensive stuff is still expensive, but pretty much everything else is in the pits. I have no motivation to sell my low end stuff that I am not using. Maybe my kids can have fun reminiscing some day about all the bad decisions daddy made.
They will come back around, and one or two might make up the whole difference once they are old enough to inherit them. It's a sweet collection.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:57:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

I used to just fill up on my way home Friday night. But when fuel went stupid during coof, it took more than $100 to fill my tank and I didn't feel like doing whole ID card/debit card shuffle just to get another $20-30 in. I stop twice a week, when I get down to about 5/8th of a tank.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By secretwheelman:

I still feel it. My damn truck has a tiny tank and needs to be filled more often. And prefers premium.

I've been driving the Subi more. For other reasons, but still nice not having to fill it as often.
Just don't look at the pump. Run it 'til the nozzle clicks off.

I use 93 in mine and couldn't tell you what the price per gallon was.

I used to just fill up on my way home Friday night. But when fuel went stupid during coof, it took more than $100 to fill my tank and I didn't feel like doing whole ID card/debit card shuffle just to get another $20-30 in. I stop twice a week, when I get down to about 5/8th of a tank.
I put in ten gallons at a time because a full tank is just extra shit to lug around in the mountains and it lasts me a few weeks of back and forth to work at least.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:58:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 11:03:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By mygreenkaw:

Need mo'bettet photo skills to capture the goodness.
View Quote

Just more practice. Post pics,
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#5]

my mind immediately went to a Sinn too, but no, too sensible. Possibly a Ball, but that probably doesn't need an authenticator.  I'm guessing a Tudor or Omega.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By williedikker72:

You're getting pretty diverse with your collection, so just a shot in the dark. If we are staying with 20mm bracelet divers, maybe a Sinn U50.

my mind immediately went to a Sinn too, but no, too sensible. Possibly a Ball, but that probably doesn't need an authenticator.  I'm guessing a Tudor or Omega.
Ball doesn't really make watches anymore. They are the epitome of dusting off and "final fitting" of chinese parts with only enough effort to say Swiss made.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 11:06:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Star_Scream] [#6]

Just leave a Shiro in there.
View Quote

Oh yeah.

I try not to leave such things in my car due to work
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 11:09:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By sywagon:
Speaking of straps - this in today from Vietnam made by an Etsy seller. Had to be really deliberate to get away from Chinese stuff and jump off Amazon.

https://i.imgur.com/qjOxVEE.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iyqvrJl.jpg

View Quote

That looks cool like a metallic ray skin
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 11:10:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Very cool, looks like good craftsmanship. Wonder though if the materials all still come from China.
View All Quotes
Speaking of straps - this in today from Vietnam made by an Etsy seller. Had to be really deliberate to get away from Chinese stuff and jump off Amazon.

https://i.imgur.com/qjOxVEE.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iyqvrJl.jpg

Very cool, looks like good craftsmanship. Wonder though if the materials all still come from China.
Entirely possible.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 11:18:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Ball doesn't really make watches anymore. They are the epitome of dusting off and "final fitting" of chinese parts with only enough effort to say Swiss made.
View Quote

well that's sad
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 11:29:26 PM EDT
[#10]
That was the goal originally - good call but no. I found a still stickered and unworn one of something I've wanted much longer at a used level price that put it in the same ballpark as a new un-tegimented U50. Quite a bit more conventional and different actually, but often the one people would be cross shopping.

View Quote

Tudor Pelagos
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 11:45:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sywagon] [#11]

Tudor Pelagos
View All Quotes
That was the goal originally - good call but no. I found a still stickered and unworn one of something I've wanted much longer at a used level price that put it in the same ballpark as a new un-tegimented U50. Quite a bit more conventional and different actually, but often the one people would be cross shopping.

Tudor Pelagos
No point in being coy about a watch in a knife thread - you're the winner but still wrong. The Pelagos is marginally large dia. for me, and I've been on a thin watch kick regardless. The new 39mm Pelagos would be right but still too new and hot to get the deal I got and still only in black. It's a Black Bay 58 in blue. I'll still have a U50 some day, but they are actually a little proud of them given the dial details (i.e. there are none). The Tudor for the same price with the in house 70 hr. power reserve etc. etc. is actually much more sensible and a more versatile watch to wear.

Link Posted: 7/22/2024 11:46:08 PM EDT
[#12]

well that's sad
View Quote

Their ownership is in Hong Kong, so...
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 11:52:23 PM EDT
[#13]
No point in being coy about a watch in a knife thread - you're the winner but still wrong. The Pelagos is marginally large dia. for me, and I've been on a thin watch kick regardless. The new 39mm would be right but still too new and hot to get the deal I got. It's a Black Bay 58 in blue.

View Quote

Nice, fantastic watch,  you'll love it. I sold mine once I got the Omega because I didn't need two blue divers and I'd wanted the Omega for 25 years, but I do regret it from time to time. I might still get the 41 mm monochrome with jubilee once prices drop enough, though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 11:57:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WTR_Warlord] [#14]
https://i.imgur.com/PRoI1G6.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

#200/400
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 11:58:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sywagon] [#15]
Originally Posted By rbb2:

Nice, fantastic watch,  you'll love it. I sold mine once I got the Omega because I didn't need two blue divers and I'd wanted the Omega for 25 years, but I do regret it from time to time. I might still get the 41 mm monochrome with jubilee once prices drop enough, though.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rbb2:
No point in being coy about a watch in a knife thread - you're the winner but still wrong. The Pelagos is marginally large dia. for me, and I've been on a thin watch kick regardless. The new 39mm would be right but still too new and hot to get the deal I got. It's a Black Bay 58 in blue.

Added some edits. For some reason I thought you had the Pelagos. I agree that would be a tough one to keep both head to head. I'll keep my blue/bronze Aquitaine though as it really doesn't overlap the same way and it is really sweet.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 2:17:54 AM EDT
[#16]

I asked about the Armin albums you suggested before. What are the songs like? Just ambient trance?

Based on the above, you appear to be very one track. you got any atb, atc, aoki, calvin harris, suggestions?

What am I saying? I need some daft punk.

ETA: Of course I can't find a greatest hits albim...and no spiller or modjo
View Quote

Feel again is a good album.

Armin van Buuren feat. Vanessa Campagna - Vulnerable (Lyric Video)

Armin van Buuren & Sam Gray - Human Touch (Lyric Video)

Armin van Buuren & Ahmed Helmy - Rhythm Inside (Lyric Video)
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 2:46:25 AM EDT
[#17]
You could also look at Aname Beautiful World if you can find a copy in vinyl.

Above and Beyond Group Therapy is a really good album too.

There's a lot of good EDM but very few available records available to purchase since the companies don't manufacture many...
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 2:48:21 AM EDT
[#18]
If you don't like those then Discovery is your solid album that you already probably bought... but if not, tron legacy is a good soundtrack made by daft punk and more modern.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 2:49:26 AM EDT
[#19]
And speaking of soundtracks, the movie theater version of phantom of the opera album is good listening.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 2:52:12 AM EDT
[#20]
all you kwik trip naysayers...

https://i.imgur.com/iSZAw2J.jpg
View Quote

In 2008 I was in Venezuala buying premium for 6 cents a gallon. Six US cents per gallon. All while the US was in some crazy fuel crisis with people paying $5 gallon.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 2:53:14 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

I'd eat that in about 30 seconds.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 3:01:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:
We do.

We have a lot of plates and stuff as well as a dishwasher in the kitchen at work. Quite a few of us cook at work so we buy paper plates at work to reduce the amount of dishes we have to do at work.

View Quote

I worked somewhere where my floor was the reject lunch room. Nobody ate lunch when I ate lunch except for this girl and two other guys. The girl was a harvardite weirdo and most people ignored her, one guy was an open mouth lip smacking chewer who was banned from eating on other floors' lunch rooms and when I saw him I went back to my desk to eat it was so bad, and the other guy was sort of cool but also a big weirdo who would go to Chinatown on the subway to buy ingredients then come back to the lunch room and cook up a stinky feast. Nice guy but he always talked about traveling to China to meet other women even though he was a white guy married to what I assumed was a nice lady. Guy just had Asian fever...
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 4:00:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By conndcj:
Made some Kurobuta pork porterhouse pork chops tonight.  Just over an inch thick and nearly a pound each.  Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.  Broiled at 550⁰.  Absolutely delicious.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60239/1000002173-3274448.jpg
View Quote

Very nice! Love the knife also!
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 4:03:51 AM EDT
[#25]
https://i.imgur.com/PRoI1G6.jpg
View Quote

Nice combo and pic!
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 4:06:31 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Nice pic! Love the camo grip!
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 5:27:09 AM EDT
[#27]
The razor saga continues...

I shaved with the Gillette Mach 5 last week and it was fine. Clean shave and very close. It does well.Served its purpose so I didn't show up to the RNC with my face all cut up.

But I do not like the cost of the blades, occasional ingrown hairs and the whole safety razor thing intrigues me. And I couldn't return the Feather blades even though the package was unopened.

So where does that leave me.

The Futur was OK. certain things I liked, certain things I didn't. The 34c was similar, things I liked, things I didn't. The Viking Emperor seemed to be a good combination, but it is the one that sliced me, and China. 

Before I went any further I figured I needed to assess some key things I think I need for this to work.

It needs to have a slim head to have the best chance of doing a clean shave under the nose.It needs to be easy to open the top to replace blades.It needs to have texture to the handle.It needs to have either a scalloped or mild open comb on one side of the head.I like the idea of adjustable comb, nice, but not necessary.

Assessing the ones used so far:

Merkur 34C:
Head seemed a bit thick, harder to use under the nose.
Have to unscrew the handle, take the whole thing apart to replace a blade. Too much work.
Good texture to the handle and the comb.No adjustments. 

Honestly, it was a great starter razor, I can see why it is so popular. But if I can get the same starter quality on an adjustable with a slimmer head, why not. Plus, I hate the idea of the work involved to swap those silly little blades out for as frequently as it apparently needs to be done.

Viking Emperor:
Relatively thin head.
Butterfly opening for quick easy blade changes.
Good texture to the handle and comb.Adjustments. 

Even though it cut me, even though it is made in China, hit each of the categories if I can use it without destroying my face again. I mean, it wasn't the fault of the razor, it was just me being stupid.

Merkur Futur:
Head wasn't bad, leaning thicker.
Head pops off for easy blade changes, but I could see myself dropping that separate piece.
No texture to the handle or the comb.
Adjustable.

It was OK, just not grabbing me though. I was debating going back to the 34c, but then started thinking about all the above. So many of the good options are multiple piece razors. blech.

So I poked around online. Few articles were saying the old Gillettes from the 50s and 60s with the butterfly opening are where it is at. But looking at what they cost and the condition they are in, it made me reassess the options out there new.

Picked up a couple others to try that are more like a disposable in form, but looking at the double edge safety razor options, the Emperor ticks all the boxes so it deserved another try.

https://i.imgur.com/cljDyNm.jpg

And then I was thinking, really there is no issue trimming under the nose if I grow a mustache, that is where Tom Selleck entered the storyline, the watch and the mustache.

Wife revised her commentary of saying why don't you look more like Tom Selleck to be, why don't you look more like Burt Reynolds.

Not sure what to take away from that, other than that I don't look remotely like either of them
View Quote

Maybe look into Parker to see if they have anything.  Also maybe try more brands of blades.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 5:29:48 AM EDT
[#28]

View All Quotes
now I just need a Ferrari 308 and to die my mustache brown

https://i.imgur.com/etMd6k7.jpg

beautiful. I wonder how it will look on a strap, or if it should stay on the bracelet. I do like the bracelet

great lume

Nice. I like it, other than the apparent lack of an hour hand

It is obviously going to be a strap monster, but the bracelet looks great and should stay in rotation. You might want to save the pins with the bracelet and use standard lug size ones for straps, or compare them really closely. For the big crown I was struggling like hell to put the 20mm back in with the bracelet when I acquired it, and it took some investigating to figure out they use 19mm with the bracelet. Being honest, that was after at least an hour of struggling with it and getting really frustrated and questioning my veracity - it is simply a physical impossibility to get the solid endlinks in with the 20mm pins even though it has 20mm lugs. Both ends have to be pushed in all the way past flush with the endlink at the same time and that can't happen because they bottom out first. The shorter ones are fine with the endlinds because they are trapped and can't wobble, but you need the correct size for a strap to prevent wear on the lug holes.

I won one yesterday that is inbound to the ebay authenticators. I give Willie only a 5% chance or less of guessing it this time though

You're getting pretty diverse with your collection, so just a shot in the dark. If we are staying with 20mm bracelet divers, maybe a Sinn U50.

Now I'm intrigued...
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 5:30:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: williedikker72] [#29]

Tudor Pelagos
View All Quotes

Tudor Pelagos

39mm

I need to start reading to the end before I post. Ugh. Nice pick with the BB!
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 5:53:36 AM EDT
[#30]
I put in ten gallons at a time because a full tank is just extra shit to lug around in the mountains and it lasts me a few weeks of back and forth to work at least.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By secretwheelman:

I still feel it. My damn truck has a tiny tank and needs to be filled more often. And prefers premium.

I've been driving the Subi more. For other reasons, but still nice not having to fill it as often.
Just don't look at the pump. Run it 'til the nozzle clicks off.

I use 93 in mine and couldn't tell you what the price per gallon was.

I like keeping as full of a tank as possible. If you leave a tank mostly empty you risk getting water contamination due to condensation. Plus, your fuel pump uses the fuel to keep itself cool. And I don't have to sweat it if the pumps are down for some reason.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 8:52:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By 80085:

I worked somewhere where my floor was the reject lunch room. Nobody ate lunch when I ate lunch except for this girl and two other guys. The girl was a harvardite weirdo and most people ignored her, one guy was an open mouth lip smacking chewer who was banned from eating on other floors' lunch rooms and when I saw him I went back to my desk to eat it was so bad, and the other guy was sort of cool but also a big weirdo who would go to Chinatown on the subway to buy ingredients then come back to the lunch room and cook up a stinky feast. Nice guy but he always talked about traveling to China to meet other women even though he was a white guy married to what I assumed was a nice lady. Guy just had Asian fever...
View Quote

What did you do to earn your spot in the reject lunch crew?
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 12:39:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Ti Tuesday

Link Posted: 7/23/2024 1:28:21 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

I never know when I am going to need to run somewhere at a moments notice, there will be a snow storm or I need extra weight for traction, or don't want anything to freeze in the lines because there is too much moisture and low fuel level. Rare for me to let it go below half unless it is a long trip.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 1:29:51 PM EDT
[#34]
No point in being coy about a watch in a knife thread - you're the winner but still wrong. The Pelagos is marginally large dia. for me, and I've been on a thin watch kick regardless. The new 39mm Pelagos would be right but still too new and hot to get the deal I got and still only in black. It's a Black Bay 58 in blue. I'll still have a U50 some day, but they are actually a little proud of them given the dial details (i.e. there are none). The Tudor for the same price with the in house 70 hr. power reserve etc. etc. is actually much more sensible and a more versatile watch to wear.

View Quote

damn it, I was thinking tudor, Pelagos didn't strike me as exactly you, I should have kept going
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 1:47:08 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2024 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#36]

you're being very evasive
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#37]
You could also look at Aname Beautiful World if you can find a copy in vinyl.

Above and Beyond Group Therapy is a really good album too.

There's a lot of good EDM but very few available records available to purchase since the companies don't manufacture many...
View Quote

Haven't heard of those. I can check them out. Beginning to wonder if we are just on different planes of EDM.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#38]
I use this with Feather blades.  I have their stand as well that hols the razor and the soap brush.   Very well made, heavy matte SS.  Just guide it and let the razor and blade do the work.

Link Posted: 7/23/2024 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#39]
If you don't like those then Discovery is your solid album that you already probably bought... but if not, tron legacy is a good soundtrack made by daft punk and more modern.
View Quote

Yeah, Discovery, haven't found Homework. The Tron one pops up often enough for me on Pandora, need to listen to some more before I commit to vinyl.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#40]

In 2008 I was in Venezuala buying premium for 6 cents a gallon. Six US cents per gallon. All while the US was in some crazy fuel crisis with people paying $5 gallon.
View Quote

well, dictatorships have more control on commodity pricing...
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Maybe look into Parker to see if they have anything.  Also maybe try more brands of blades.
View Quote

I looked into Parker. India. Reviews said QC was very hit or miss. Either great product or shit.

I have all kinds of blade brands with the variety pack I got. couple hundred blades. Just more of the Feathers.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

Did you steal that from Op?
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By conndcj:
I use this with Feather blades.  I have their stand as well that hols the razor and the soap brush.   Very well made, heavy matte SS.  Just guide it and let the razor and blade do the work.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60239/1000002175-3274939.jpg
View Quote

I looked at Muhle, I really wanted German, but no quick change systems.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

Not unless he’s secretly living Tennessee…
Purchased second hand from a redditor.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#45]

I looked at Muhle, I really wanted German, but no quick change systems.
View Quote

Cant help you with the razor, but I saw this and thought of you.

Im just not sure you ever need to reseal your bottles

Amazon Product
  • MADE IN GERMANY HIGH QUALITY KITCHENWARE: Westmark\u2019s Resealable Beer Bottle Opener is among the best in the world and is rated to be one of the best kitchenware brands available today.

Link Posted: 7/23/2024 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By StarCityShooter:

Cant help you with the razor, but I saw this and thought of you.

Im just not sure you ever need to reseal your bottles

www.amazon.com/dp/B0010AWH2I
View Quote

Blasphemy!
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 5:21:04 PM EDT
[#47]

I looked into Parker. India. Reviews said QC was very hit or miss. Either great product or shit.

I have all kinds of blade brands with the variety pack I got. couple hundred blades. Just more of the Feathers.
View All Quotes

Damn. I don't know why, but thought they were UK. I was just shaving and saw my Feather razor in there. It's a butterfly open with a plastic handle. My first DE razor. Might clean it up and use it next time just to see what I think of it now. It's been years.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Anniversary gift I made for my wife. Clock part came in today! 3 days to late. Got so many wows from her I couldn't count em!
Rock maple.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Tonights dinner.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 5:50:46 PM EDT
[#49]

https://i.imgur.com/a2NfcAV.jpg
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/a2NfcAV.jpg
Wow, that really is a good match.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#50]

I never know when I am going to need to run somewhere at a moments notice, there will be a snow storm or I need extra weight for traction, or don't want anything to freeze in the lines because there is too much moisture and low fuel level. Rare for me to let it go below half unless it is a long trip.
View All Quotes

I like keeping as full of a tank as possible. If you leave a tank mostly empty you risk getting water contamination due to condensation. Plus, your fuel pump uses the fuel to keep itself cool. And I don't have to sweat it if the pumps are down for some reason.
Noted. I was aware of the condensation possibility and fuel pump cooling and generally try not to go much below 1/4 tank but I have been a little slack about it lately.
Page / 3289
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top