View Quote

How are ya now
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:19:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WICOUNSEL:
Jeez, how many times do you go to the store each week?

If you are going out anyway, pick up some stuff for me.
View Quote

Once a week. Unless we need something.
I thought about offering to pick some up for you, but I wasnt sure how you'd feel about cheese wraps being sent up to Wisconsin from St Louis.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

Hahaha.

My friend is a married to a Japanese woman. He's ginger as hell. We had a tour group of Japanese students visiting one day and they were asking their instructors some questions but I guess one wasn't giving all the info so my friend speaks up and goes into a long explanation.

Everyone including me stood there with our Jaws dropped.

I knew he spoke a little but this was more than a little
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MaxxII:

When I was kid, my parents were in the Air Force, and we were stationed at Hickam AFB, Hawaii. While in school, I took Japanese for the required language courses. I was up to Japanese 3, and then we moved to Missouri...which shockingly, didnt have any Japanese language programs and I had enough credits to not take any more.
When i joined the Marines, we were stationed in Japan and Okinawa for a bit.

While we were doing a battlefield tour of Okinawa there was a group of Okinawan students and teachers taking the same tour as our group of Marines. Okinawan is actually a different dialect of Japanese, but it is similar enough to understand and communicate with.  I made sure to place my self between the students and teachers and keep our guys back from them a decent distance just so there were no issues. I was pretty sure at least some of them spoke English and I didnt want any of our guys inadvertently offending anyone with course language or crass remarks. Apparently some of the teachers were also concerned about something similar and had stationed themselves at the back of their group so as act like a buffer between our group and theirs. Things were going fine for the most part, but I was able hear their conversations and they were able to hear ours.
The two teachers at the back began talking quietly to themselves about the stupid "foreigners" behind them and making some off comments. I let it go for about 15 minutes and then quietly told them we were stupid foreigners, we were barbarians that created this memorial, and they'd do well to remember it.

The look on those two teachers faces as they realized I had heard them and understood them was epic. They had not expected an American to speak or understand Japanese.

Hahaha.

My friend is a married to a Japanese woman. He's ginger as hell. We had a tour group of Japanese students visiting one day and they were asking their instructors some questions but I guess one wasn't giving all the info so my friend speaks up and goes into a long explanation.

Everyone including me stood there with our Jaws dropped.

I knew he spoke a little but this was more than a little

After that incident in Okinawa, we went to Camp Fuji in mainland Japan.
While we were there we did a live fire exercise. In the middle of the shoot one of the Japanese Self Defense Force RSO's came by and began asking what we were shooting, (Ammo that is larger/more destructive than what the range is designed for tears up the range and RSO's get mad when you destroy their ranges unnecessarily).
My Lt at the time was a good guy, but didnt speak any Japanese and the RSO either didnt or pretended he did not speak English. My Lt was reduced to making "pew pew" noises and mimicking a machine gun and a 25 mm cannon. He wasnt doing a great impression and I could see the RSO had a look on his face like "WTF is this idiot doing?"

I let it go for a bit and then ran up, introduced myself, asked him what he wanted to know, and then told him what caliber weapons we shooting on the range. I told him we had been cleared to shoot those platforms on the range, but if there was a mistake, we'd be happy to move to the correct range if he preferred. The RSO said everything was fine, and we could continue shooting, thanked me for my time and left.

I turned and looked at my Lt, and told him we were good to go and started walking off.

Lt got annoyed and said "Cpl Maxx, you never told me you spoke Japanese!"
"You never asked, Sir."

Another time we were down in Roppongi at a club, one of my buddies who fancied himself a ladies man asked me to teach him some Japanese to break the ice with the local girls in the night clubs. He said he wanted to say, "Hello my name is Tony, what's your name?"
I taught him something close to that.
He was puzzled after two different girls just laughed at him and walked away. He came back to me to ensure he was saying it right.

Since he was my buddy, I listened to what he was saying, made the appropriate corrections to his pronunciation, and then had him repeat it several times until he got it exactly right, then I sent back out to try again.

This girl spoke English and after she was done laughing at him, she asked him he was running around telling women his name was Tony and he had a small penis.

Tony was pissed, and but it broke the ice with the girl and he had a chance to show her what he had so it all worked out in the end.

Fun times when you're the one who understand's what's being said.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 7:21:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Corporal?

You always told me you were the Rear Commander...
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#6]
It feels a bit weird to say it, but is it "too much" cheese?
View Quote

I used to believe that there was no such thing.

Until there was a mistake made by the worker at the in-n-out in Killeen, TX.  I was working my way through the secret menu and I had ordered a 4x4(4 patties, 4 pieces of cheese).  What came out wasn't that. It was 4 patties and what seems like about a half inch thick stack of cheese slices on either side of the stack of patties.  I'm not sure if the worker was being a smart ass or just made it up as he went.  Whatever the situation was, I learned that day that you can indeed have "too much" cheese.  I don't know where the line is, but I know that burger was well past it though.

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 7:45:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By GreenSuiter:
Memorial Weekend sales have begun, picked this up for 80+tax...not great not terrible. I always heard the USA made kershaw knives are pretty good, It’s a Kershaw Launch Auto.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/1822/drw1YL.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/4518/NUMpBV.jpg

This however is at the top of my meager collection.
Bill Snow, Tipi Knifeworks custom.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/8141/HP33lX.jpg
View Quote

I had that exact same launch, used it as my edc for a few years. Very good knife, but I just don't like aluminum scales these days.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DFARM:

I used to believe that there was no such thing.

Until there was a mistake made by the worker at the in-n-out in Killeen, TX.  I was working my way through the secret menu and I had ordered a 4x4(4 patties, 4 pieces of cheese).  What came out wasn't that. It was 4 patties and what seems like about a half inch thick stack of cheese slices on either side of the stack of patties.  I'm not sure if the worker was being a smart ass or just made it up as he went.  Whatever the situation was, I learned that day that you can indeed have "too much" cheese.  I don't know where the line is, but I know that burger was well past it though.

View Quote
Good sir, I understand you are too close to Tillamook to understand what good cheese is supposed to be like so I will cut you a lot of slack here.

It is my understanding that in-n-out uses American "cheese."  

American cheese isn't even considered to be real cheese. It's called a "pasteurized cheese product." While it was originally a blend of different cheeses like Colby and cheddar, nowadays the American cheese we see in the likes of Kraft Singles is not even made with at least 51 percent of real cheese. About as nutritious as a sheet of polypropylene.  

in-n-out has made their own proprietary cheese product to melt at the correct temperature for their burgers coming off the grill. I prefer my cheese to be crafted, not engineered.

If I had 4" of cheese product on a burger like you did, I would probably barf.

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:19:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WIC] [#9]
Once a week. Unless we need something.
I thought about offering to pick some up for you, but I wasnt sure how you'd feel about cheese wraps being sent up to Wisconsin from St Louis.
View Quote
Misery ain't the issue. They are a NJ company. I have questioned how good they can be coming from NJ.

Did you get parmesan or jarlesburg? I heard from another astute gentleman in this thread that the parmesan is the way to go.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:23:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By rbb2:

I had that exact same launch, used it as my edc for a few years. Very good knife, but I just don't like aluminum scales these days.
View Quote
Me too. Nice knife. Just not into autos generally. Gave it to my FIL. He loves it. But he loves any knife I give him. He's such a kid.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:29:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Star_Scream] [#11]
Originally Posted By GreenSuiter:
Memorial Weekend sales have begun, picked this up for 80+tax...not great not terrible. I always heard the USA made kershaw knives are pretty good, It’s a Kershaw Launch Auto.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/1822/drw1YL.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/4518/NUMpBV.jpg

This however is at the top of my meager collection.
Bill Snow, Tipi Knifeworks custom.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/8141/HP33lX.jpg
View Quote

It's one of their better shapes in the newer launch knives too. Cool pick up.

I hadn't heard of Tipi before but I'll have to check them out. I like the transition to the double edge. Easy to sharpen
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Holy shit man define "new". I'm sure I bought mine something like ten years ago! I think. Maybe? I dunno.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

Me and my guys (and our girls) carry 40SW P80s (sometimes converted to 9mm), we do Force On Force with karambits, and we keep Longbranch on hand for each other.

Just got this SOG karambit after seeing a biker carry one SOB. It came dull as a butter knife from the factory, and I put a slightly better edge on it. I'll see if its worth a damn carrying it for my shift at the LGS tomorrow, but I have a feeling its main role will be as a trainer...for my Spyder o Sharpmaker.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By JaredGrey:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/175006/44665E0F-8907-437D-8410-A4D9C15D4559_jpe-1428307.JPG

Me and my guys (and our girls) carry 40SW P80s (sometimes converted to 9mm), we do Force On Force with karambits, and we keep Longbranch on hand for each other.

Just got this SOG karambit after seeing a biker carry one SOB. It came dull as a butter knife from the factory, and I put a slightly better edge on it. I'll see if its worth a damn carrying it for my shift at the LGS tomorrow, but I have a feeling its main role will be as a trainer...for my Spyder o Sharpmaker.
View Quote
Awesome pic!
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:48:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-60] [#15]

The Izula II gets far more use than the other two.  And the 6 isn't pictured.

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:54:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice family portrait
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:15:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Holy shit man define "new". I'm sure I bought mine something like ten years ago! I think. Maybe? I dunno.
View Quote
Don't even acknowledge him when he says shit like that. He's out of touch with reality.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:16:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By maleante:
https://i.imgur.com/s2Eb6r4.jpg
View Quote

Zdp dragonfly. Sweet
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:17:12 PM EDT
[#20]
https://i.imgur.com/s2Eb6r4.jpg
View Quote
Are those Andy Capp Shoe String potato chips?
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:22:12 PM EDT
[#21]

After that incident in Okinawa, we went to Camp Fuji in mainland Japan.
While we were there we did a live fire exercise. In the middle of the shoot one of the Japanese Self Defense Force RSO's came by and began asking what we were shooting, (Ammo that is larger/more destructive than what the range is designed for tears up the range and RSO's get mad when you destroy their ranges unnecessarily).
My Lt at the time was a good guy, but didnt speak any Japanese and the RSO either didnt or pretended he did not speak English. My Lt was reduced to making "pew pew" noises and mimicking a machine gun and a 25 mm cannon. He wasnt doing a great impression and I could see the RSO had a look on his face like "WTF is this idiot doing?"

I let it go for a bit and then ran up, introduced myself, asked him what he wanted to know, and then told him what caliber weapons we shooting on the range. I told him we had been cleared to shoot those platforms on the range, but if there was a mistake, we'd be happy to move to the correct range if he preferred. The RSO said everything was fine, and we could continue shooting, thanked me for my time and left.

I turned and looked at my Lt, and told him we were good to go and started walking off.

Lt got annoyed and said "Cpl Maxx, you never told me you spoke Japanese!"
"You never asked, Sir."

Another time we were down in Roppongi at a club, one of my buddies who fancied himself a ladies man asked me to teach him some Japanese to break the ice with the local girls in the night clubs. He said he wanted to say, "Hello my name is Tony, what's your name?"
I taught him something close to that.
He was puzzled after two different girls just laughed at him and walked away. He came back to me to ensure he was saying it right.

Since he was my buddy, I listened to what he was saying, made the appropriate corrections to his pronunciation, and then had him repeat it several times until he got it exactly right, then I sent back out to try again.

This girl spoke English and after she was done laughing at him, she asked him he was running around telling women his name was Tony and he had a small penis.

Tony was pissed, and but it broke the ice with the girl and he had a chance to show her what he had so it all worked out in the end.

Fun times when you're the one who understand's what's being said.
View Quote

Haha.

She's probably told that story a thousand times

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:23:43 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

I thought that model was part of  the latest batch they released. I don't pay attention to autos
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:36:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Was going through an old range bag when I found this.  It is brand new.  I assume this is a Benchmade of some sort?  Limerick.  No wiggle or lock rock at all.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:50:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WIC] [#24]
Boker

Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:56:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Boker

https://i.imgur.com/tMxSbJJ.png
View Quote

Nice.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:58:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Not a terrible looking knife as a spear point. The tanto is fugly though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:11:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Not a terrible looking knife as a spear point. The tanto is fugly though.
View Quote

I remember buying it at the Syracuse gun show ages ago because I am a total HK whore.  I have a HK flask, belt buckle, pen, coffee mugs.   All sorts of stupid shit.  This was just to have a knife in my range bag for popping staples and cutting cardboard.   I didn't know that had any other blade types.  Good enough for its intended purpose.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:42:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Certainly true, just giving my opinion. I'm also just not a tanto fan in general.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:00:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Certainly true, just giving my opinion. I'm also just not a tanto fan in general.
View Quote

What about a curvy tanto?

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:29:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Zdp dragonfly. Sweet
View Quote

ZDP is pretty sweet steel. I also have a ZDP manbug on my keychain.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:32:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Are those Andy Capp Shoe String potato chips?
View Quote

Not sure. But there's 2 different brands of "batata palha" or shoe string potato chips in my kitchen. They all taste the same and come in similar Pringles type cans.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:37:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Justabulletaway:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/436951/20200507_190705_2-1405849.jpg
View Quote

Wouldn't that negate the chisel tip purpose behind the tanto?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:41:10 AM EDT
[#33]

Wouldn't that negate the chisel tip purpose behind the tanto?
View Quote

Nah, the 0620 has an ever so slight curve in the tanto. Hard to see but it's there.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:05:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Japanese tanto > American tanto
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:59:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By JaredGrey:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/175006/44665E0F-8907-437D-8410-A4D9C15D4559_jpe-1428307.JPG

View Quote

So a little play fighting and a little drinking. Sounds like fun and a cool pic to boot
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:00:44 AM EDT
[#36]
There's much debate about what a true Japanese Tanto really is in the first place.

I think the spanto is more similar to some versions. I'm not an expert on that at all. Just pointing out that the 0620 does have some curve to it rather than the abrupt angles of most American Tanto blades. That is also one way to identify a fake 0620. It has a straight angle on the point.

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:06:26 AM EDT
[#37]

Top pic is my favorite

I like all the options ESEE puts out there. A knife for anything, I saw a cool little kit someone made with a candiru and an Altoids tin to carry a little knife, needle and thread, bandaids, matches and little things. Kinda neat.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#38]
https://i.imgur.com/0RtGpNP.jpg
View Quote

Daikon instead of noodles?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By conndcj:
Was going through an old range bag when I found this.  It is brand new.  I assume this is a Benchmade of some sort?  Limerick.  No wiggle or lock rock at all.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60239/20200522_201145_jpg-1428600.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60239/20200522_201226_jpg-1428601.JPG
View Quote

Tip down with a wire clip?

Early 00's?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Spear points are pokey stabby fun too. Blood groove for the win.

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Another comparison just to show some different tanto styles.

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

I think everyone goes through a phase.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:49:33 PM EDT
[#44]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/436951/20200507_190705_2-1405849.jpg
View Quote

It's definitely a better looking one
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#45]

ZDP is pretty sweet steel. I also have a ZDP manbug on my keychain.
View Quote

It is. I wanted one of the Zdp 452s as a fun project at one point.

Your pic reminded me I need to work on making a good feijoada.

Or do find a place to buy it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#46]

The ShamWEri was supposed to drop today but there was a hiccup.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#47]

Daikon instead of noodles?
View Quote
Noodles pad thai using zucchini for noodles. It's great.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#48]
The churro pork skins arrived today. Very good. Made in Kentucky.

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Yeah, mine came today too.  Not bad.

On the microwave ones, I specifically cut back on cook time to play it safe and they still came out a bit tough. Good thing they came 18 to a box, plenty of them to practice on.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#50]
There's much debate about what a true Japanese Tanto really is in the first place.

I think the spanto is more similar to some versions. I'm not an expert on that at all. Just pointing out that the 0620 does have some curve to it rather than the abrupt angles of most American Tanto blades. That is also one way to identify a fake 0620. It has a straight angle on the point.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/436951/20200523_095432_01-1428942.jpg
View Quote

I think the Spanto is more like a Japanese tanto as well but a little on the thicker side.

Page / 3316
Top Top