Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3278
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By enigma1:
My newest.............I think she's pure sex................

View Quote

That's a really neat looking knife!

Details?
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By WICOUNSEL:

He used to be on BF all the time too. BF was maybe too obvious?
View Quote

Probably. I go on BF once in a while but it seems like it's full of grumpy assholes, especially the mods.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Where did you buy an Appalachian that had the wrong stock quantity?

Yeah, the mini strikes me as too stubby, especially with that handle shape.

The factory micarta thing is complicated with Emerson. Only limited runs, dealer exclusives or customs. Mostly dealer exclusives it looks like. So you have to find a dealer that does the micarta version you are looking for.

Ye Olde Cutlery Shoppe doesn't repeat special runs. Each run is a different knife. But they have done the micarta a number of times on different knives.

Tactical Elements has done a few different runs with micarta IIRC. Some commanders, mostly 7s.

Action Concepts on ebay is the only one I know of that has done micarta and bearings for a couple runs, in the Sheepdog. If I had to guess, they will do another run this next fall.

There are a few other companies that have done limited runs. But it is a crapshoot what will be offered and what spec. Usually one of the more popular models. As much as I like the Appalachian visually, I don't think their Bowie style blades are among the best selling, so less likely to be done as a special run unless someone like Ye Olde Cutlery picks it up as they do special runs of knives that were more limited (they are hoping to do the Conjurer next).

Another consideration, as Op noted, the factory micarta scales are less shaped than the custom made counterparts. So unless there is something else about a special run you really want, like the S35VN that comes on some of them, you may be just as well or better served getting a regular production run knife and having micarta scales made to your tastes. You can get a good Sheepdog on the secondary typically $180-200, they are one of the more popular models, so more out there.

Only the Emerson flippers have bearings. Sheepdog was the first. I don't have any flippers but have handled them. They are smooth. But honestly, once I swapped washers in my other Emersons, they are also very smooth. I have to be careful that my Hattin doesn't chop my finger off when I close it.

If I know what you are looking for I can keep an eye out.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sywagon:

I do agree I wish they had that sheepdog FS with micarta. The little one just looks stubby, blade is out proportion to the handle or something.

I actually bought an Appalachian yesterday but then got a message today it wasn't available. I see there is a bunch on ebay too but I might have moved on. I'd like the bearings and micarta. I really don't get why micarta is only on special editions for most makers that even try it.

The factory micarta thing is complicated with Emerson. Only limited runs, dealer exclusives or customs. Mostly dealer exclusives it looks like. So you have to find a dealer that does the micarta version you are looking for.

Ye Olde Cutlery Shoppe doesn't repeat special runs. Each run is a different knife. But they have done the micarta a number of times on different knives.

Tactical Elements has done a few different runs with micarta IIRC. Some commanders, mostly 7s.

Action Concepts on ebay is the only one I know of that has done micarta and bearings for a couple runs, in the Sheepdog. If I had to guess, they will do another run this next fall.

There are a few other companies that have done limited runs. But it is a crapshoot what will be offered and what spec. Usually one of the more popular models. As much as I like the Appalachian visually, I don't think their Bowie style blades are among the best selling, so less likely to be done as a special run unless someone like Ye Olde Cutlery picks it up as they do special runs of knives that were more limited (they are hoping to do the Conjurer next).

Another consideration, as Op noted, the factory micarta scales are less shaped than the custom made counterparts. So unless there is something else about a special run you really want, like the S35VN that comes on some of them, you may be just as well or better served getting a regular production run knife and having micarta scales made to your tastes. You can get a good Sheepdog on the secondary typically $180-200, they are one of the more popular models, so more out there.

Only the Emerson flippers have bearings. Sheepdog was the first. I don't have any flippers but have handled them. They are smooth. But honestly, once I swapped washers in my other Emersons, they are also very smooth. I have to be careful that my Hattin doesn't chop my finger off when I close it.

I really like my 8F...I know WIC doesnt like the handle shape of the 8F, but it fits me great.

I'm tempted to try one of the Sheepdogs....
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Star_Scream:

It's all the rage these days. Cooking a lot makes a lot of dishes already and running the dishwasher constantly is annoying
View All Quotes

I was letting that slide, but I love to see how you constantly work to raise the standards in the thread.

It's all the rage these days. Cooking a lot makes a lot of dishes already and running the dishwasher constantly is annoying

True.

Our dishwasher motherboard died an we are waiting on a replacement.
When we told the kids the dishwasher was broken they were excited for abit since dishes are a nightly chore for them, (swaps among the kids).
And then one of them realized that meant dishes had to be handwashed and dried......
The look of horror and regret was awesome.
Wife and I both laughed.

Suddenly, the kids are getting better about not using a glass once and throwing it in the sink.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Go with the fullsize. I was toying with getting the 85 when I got mine and others had recommended going fullsize because they still aren't that large of a knife, to begin with.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By USMC_Dad:
@WICOUNSEL

I did edit my post to Para 2. ( was thinking of the 3 that I initially wanted)

It was last year when you helped me on the decision to get the 2

Hint: I always gave you crap on drinking milk

Anyways, always loved knives yet spent most of my monies on handguns. Well, 2020 being what it is, has brought me back to my roots. (I. E. Ain’t no real inventory out there  for firearms )

All my  money Is now going towards cutlery .
items

Speaking of which, anyone here familiar with Ravencrest OTF

Still leaning towards a Microtech utx 85

Thanks in advance.

Go with the fullsize. I was toying with getting the 85 when I got mine and others had recommended going fullsize because they still aren't that large of a knife, to begin with.

Squirrelly Squirrel is right.
Go with the fullsize. I got to handle a UTX85 and while it was neat, it was not big enough for my tastes.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By USMC_Dad:

@sywagon

Need to get a nice lanyard like yours for mine.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/50175/E1CEDD3B-218C-4FC3-998F-3A565521C883_jpe-1728923.JPG
View Quote

I like the swedge on yours.

@USMC_Dad
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#7]

That was a fun weekend.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 7:46:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By MaxxII:

But did it have a dungeon?
What went on in the dungeon?
View All Quotes

I'd still eat Popeye's whenever I could. The only one near us takes about an hour round trip and the service is horrible. We've never been there and had our food in less than 20 minutes. I've had to go in multiple times because they jacked something up and the place was always filled with smoke from the fryer.

Then biscuits though.

#smh
#illnoise
#nostandards

The one we had on post at Ft Riley was great. Always clean, served fast.

But did it have a dungeon?
What went on in the dungeon?

Not sure. It was inside the PX/BX, so I'd imagine they had some extra duty broke dicks on KP.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JaredGrey:
https://i.imgur.com/Tk829Lw.jpg

That was a fun weekend.
View Quote

What is that on the far right?
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Running out of knives to post.

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 3xpert:

View All Quotes

That was a fun weekend.

Ball tickler.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I think it is for punching holes in leather for sewing.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

I don't have a small Sebenza to compare to, but the TRE is definitely not big. I'll find something decent for scale next time I take a pic.

It was Ye Olde that cancelled my order. I wasn't really put out by it - it just took away some of the spontaneity. It is probably still on the table though.

A lot of good info there. I don't have to have the bearings or S35V necessarily. I didn't know they only did bearings on a flipper. I don't really want a flipper for this one either. The Kwaiken, A100 and a few others are appealing. I liked the Appalachian swoopiness and I don't have any folders with a drop point. I also don't have any folders more on the aggressive looking side like that. Looking at it it looks like the blade is a bit on the thinner side too which was appealing. I see what you guys mean with the factory scales being blockier.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Ball tickler.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Goosemaster:
Got a couple new ones from the Spyderco seconds sale.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50706679553_c459fdf7c3_k.jpg

And I ordered a ZT0562CF today that was price well on Amazon.
View Quote

Niiiiiicccccceeeee

I'd check out that ZT though. Amazon has a ton of fakes the sellers don't even know are fakes
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Sometimes Amazon has really good deals on knives. Saw someone explain it once. Something to do with their software, items out of stock, then coming back in, pricing goes wonky until someone steps in to manually re enter the MAP pricing from ZT.

JABA is also correct that there are a fair few fakes out there, pretty good ones on that knife. Amazon polices them when reported, but things still pop up anew.
View Quote
Yeah I got my 0562 (non-cf) from Amazon on a legit sale.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:07:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Star_Scream] [#18]

Like the blade shape hate the scales.

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:15:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By rbb2:

User pinechaos on reddit is a dealer that routinely sells below MAP on r/knife_swap I know he does spyderco and ZT.

I've bought several knives from him without issue, as have many, many others on that sub.

Edit autocorrect got me.
View Quote

Thanks.

I've not paid MAP for any of my ZTs. I've always managed to get a deal on them one way or another.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Probably. These companies have been playing these games for years.

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:16:16 PM EDT
[#21]
https://i.imgur.com/x5PooGX.jpg
View Quote

Great looking knife.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#22]
My edge agenda for today was to make this -

Into this -

It was in decent shape so it didn't take too long. Looks like the original haft but the wedging is all janky. I may redo that later. I also will need to wrap the butt where it is cracked for an inch or so. I think the Irish linen will do nicely there. Square logo Plumb could be as old as 1917. It has a nice ring to it when tapped.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By rbb2:

Probably. I go on BF once in a while but it seems like it's full of grumpy assholes, especially the mods.
View Quote

Yeah.

It's a bit over moderated so people don't stay leaving the same people to yell at clouds.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:19:26 PM EDT
[#24]
what do the punch marks mean?
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes

Ball tickler.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/giphyggt-462.gif

I can state with complete confidence that that is not true.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:19:35 PM EDT
[#26]
https://i.imgur.com/8bE1Lt4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/cm39ziM.jpg

Into this -
https://i.imgur.com/X6PAD2Z.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/zPfssWY.jpg

It was in decent shape so it didn't take too long. Looks like the original haft but the wedging is all janky. I may redo that later. I also will need to wrap the butt where it is cracked for an inch or so. I think the Irish linen will do nicely there. Square logo Plumb could be as old as 1917. It has a nice ring to it when tapped.
View Quote

Beautiful!
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:23:08 PM EDT
[#28]
https://i.imgur.com/8bE1Lt4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/cm39ziM.jpg

Into this -
https://i.imgur.com/X6PAD2Z.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/zPfssWY.jpg

View Quote

That looks great with the flamed handle.
I have one very similar to that.
It was my grandfather's.
It's a True Temper hewing axe.

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:26:43 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

Ball tickler.

*Rob Schneider Demolition Man*

“He doesnt know how to use the Ball tickler!”
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#30]
what do the punch marks mean?
View Quote
Owner's marks. Means "don't take my broad".
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:34:17 PM EDT
[#31]

True.

Our dishwasher motherboard died an we are waiting on a replacement.
When we told the kids the dishwasher was broken they were excited for abit since dishes are a nightly chore for them, (swaps among the kids).
And then one of them realized that meant dishes had to be handwashed and dried......
The look of horror and regret was awesome.
Wife and I both laughed.

Suddenly, the kids are getting better about not using a glass once and throwing it in the sink.
View Quote

Holy shit that's my kid and wife. They'll drink a glass of water then into the sink. The other day there was like six bowls in the sink.

My kid was scooping some of his moms granola into a bowl to eat while he read then putting the bowl in the sink. A little later he grabbed some cheez it's so a new bowl, some dry cheerios,  and on and on.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Justabulletaway:

It was my grandfather's.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/436951/20201213_192005_01-1729766.jpg
View All Quotes

It was my grandfather's.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/436951/20201213_192005_01-1729766.jpg
Thanks - that's an awesome piece, and even cooler that it was from family. True Temper was what Kelly became and in that era they were still made in the famous Charleston factory. Very high quality tools up until relatively recently.

Beautiful!
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

I have a friend who used to sell ZT on Amazon. He got on their shitlist for including a free pouch with his orders. They said including that $3 pouch violated their MAP policy.
So I used to be able to get ZTs at dealer cost before they banned him.
I think I paid $130 for my 0562CF.

Another thing people do is buy clones from Wish, buy a legit knife on Amazon then return the clone to Amazon. Sometimes a clone gets resold as legit this way.

My friend was burned a few times with clones being returned to him.

Hell, people will put $5 gas station knives back in the box and return them too.

Those people eventually get blacklisted but it takes a while.

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#34]

That was a fun weekend.
View Quote

Oof you just brought back nightmares.

They used to use something like that to test my ability to feel when I was younger. Felt like a cube steak at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:36:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks - that's an awesome piece, and even cooler that it was from family. True Temper was what Kelly became and in that era they were still made in the famous Charleston factory. Very high quality tools up until relatively recently.
Thanks!
View Quote

My grandfather lived in Charleston for a while. Probably where he got it. Thanks for sharing the provenance. Great to know.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Running out of knives to post.

https://i.imgur.com/ivjGxjw.jpg
View Quote

Repeats are just fine, I have to do it to appear to keep up with some of these guys
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#37]
I always love the shitty advice that gets given out in these threads...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/New-EDC-knife-opinions-/5-2401961/
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#38]

I don't have a small Sebenza to compare to, but the TRE is definitely not big. I'll find something decent for scale next time I take a pic.

It was Ye Olde that cancelled my order. I wasn't really put out by it - it just took away some of the spontaneity. It is probably still on the table though.

A lot of good info there. I don't have to have the bearings or S35V necessarily. I didn't know they only did bearings on a flipper. I don't really want a flipper for this one either. The Kwaiken, A100 and a few others are appealing. I liked the Appalachian swoopiness and I don't have any folders with a drop point. I also don't have any folders more on the aggressive looking side like that. Looking at it it looks like the blade is a bit on the thinner side too which was appealing. I see what you guys mean with the factory scales being blockier.
View Quote

I was all ready to be mad at the retailer that did that, but Mike is a good guy. His website sucks though.

I'm not sure if there is much variation in the thickness of Emerson blade stock. Grinds differ, some have swedges, but I bet he keeps the stock all the same. The XHD series is thicker stock. I think the bearings are limited to the flipper because of the whole hard use claim, bearings more likely to gunk up, but needed for flippers, and people want flippers, so they offer a few.

The CQC13 comes in a bowie style blade. That is more common, more readily available. I haven't handled one, but I had a Tiger which uses the same handle. Surprisingly comfy to me. MaxxII liked it as well. So much so, he stole it from me. But those are both more common models that may have better availability.

Love the kwaiken.

What you really want is a 0640 probably. Or all of the above

There is a user Sheepdog bowie on Bf right now for $145 that will need a trip to spa (currently Emerson is taking ~two months).

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#39]

https://i.imgur.com/y0Y3hBVl.jpg

View Quote

Makes me want that Lionsteel I've been eyeing. Very nice!
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:02:30 PM EDT
[#40]
I always love the shitty advice that gets given out in these threads...

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/New-EDC-knife-opinions-/5-2401961/
View Quote

sometimes the questions are wrong to begin with...
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#41]

Restaurants are tough.

Especially if you're trying to be semi discreet
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mygreenkaw:
It's in the wild now...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/160658/20201212_182133_jpg-1728122.JPG

Sorry I don't control the shit lighting here....

Restaurants are tough.

Especially if you're trying to be semi discreet

The Manhattan was great and I'm not the best at discreet.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:08:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Not sure if I'm going to get shit for this

The turquoise piece is a birdseye stone with some pyrite - picture doesn't begin to do it justice. The silver one is said to be a rendition of a raven.

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By conndcj:
Yep, that's the most suitable kit to go to Popeyes here as well.  Nearly always like that.  But it is SO worth getting into a running gunbattle for.  Not only is it better that CFA (not that CFA is trash) but it is cheaper as well.  And it's certainly the best chicken sandwich on Sundays.
View Quote

I always thought I had eaten at a Popeye's once a long time ago in Farmington, NM. I just googled it and to my surprise it's actually a Church's chicken. I'll take a burrito or burger over a chicken sandwich any day. My progeny like chicken nuggets but my wife doesn't want them eating garbage chicken glued together so we get them at the 'fila. I've never actually enjoyed a chic fila sandwich. They're edible and fine to eat, but not a delicious meal. I can bread and cook a chicken breast at home, add some pickles, and toss it in a brioche bun for a better meal. Chic fila is a touch above meh at best. I'll have to try a popeye's chicken sandwich. There's a popeye's near me in a mall so I'll have to don a mask and fight the mall crowd to get me some popeye's - the problem I foresee is that there's also a sbarro in the foodcourt. I'll have to fight the urge to eat airport pizza instead...
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:18:33 PM EDT
[#44]

sometimes the questions are wrong to begin with...
View Quote

Everyone wants a $100 knife with great edge retention, tough as nails and can be sharpened on a coffee cup.

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:21:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Right?
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By maleante:

I always thought I had eaten at a Popeye's once a long time ago in Farmington, NM. I just googled it and to my surprise it's actually a Church's chicken. I'll take a burrito or burger over a chicken sandwich any day. My progeny like chicken nuggets but my wife doesn't want them eating garbage chicken glued together so we get them at the 'fila. I've never actually enjoyed a chic fila sandwich. They're edible and fine to eat, but not a delicious meal. I can bread and cook a chicken breast at home, add some pickles, and toss it in a brioche bun for a better meal. Chic fila is a touch above meh at best. I'll have to try a popeye's chicken sandwich. There's a popeye's near me in a mall so I'll have to don a mask and fight the mall crowd to get me some popeye's - the problem I foresee is that there's also a sbarro in the foodcourt. I'll have to fight the urge to eat airport pizza instead...
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:23:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Not sure if I'm going to get shit for this

The turquoise piece is a birdseye stone with some pyrite - picture doesn't begin to do it justice. The silver one is said to be a rendition of a raven.

https://i.imgur.com/bOnTRbc.jpg

View Quote

not sure how to respond...

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:24:17 PM EDT
[#48]

I still want a Fallkniven
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#49]

Thanks.

I've not paid MAP for any of my ZTs. I've always managed to get a deal on them one way or another.
View Quote

Me too. I buy used
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#50]

https://i.imgur.com/hnM2AN1l.jpg

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

tritium
Page / 3278
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top