User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 19
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 74novaman:
Anti archive bump.

If Trump wins and the left doesnt go full retard a PS90 might be my post election celebration buy.

In the meantime its all ammo, water purification, food, comms etc….
View Quote

I’m seeing many who are warning of the exact same thing…

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Alacran:

View Quote

I think there is a lot of merit to the concept of taking people seriously when they say things.  

The left whined about "not my President" in 2000, there were grumblings about stolen election etc in 2020.  But this year feels very, very different.  

A whole lot of people on both sides of the aisle seem ready to not accept the results if their team doesn't win.  

More disturbingly, a whole lot of people in media and current government have expressed repeatedly that Trump "cannot" be allowed to win.  

I think short of a 48 state nationwide blowout for Trump, the leftists in power will do anything they can to keep him out of office, and there's very little chance that is done peacefully.  And if Harris "wins", the right will either suspect fraud or simply not want to live in the same country as people that actually wanted a Harris/Walz administration anymore and who knows if that stops at simply ignoring DC Diktats and non compliance or actual resistance.  

I'm hoping for a Trump blowout and a clear mandate that Americans are done with the insane leftist radicals that have had power 16 out of the last 20 years.  

But I'm not super hopeful it's going to happen.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I think there’s no better excuse then this will be a super spicy election to FO on a P90. I SBRd mine and am thinking about doing the AMD-65 as well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:01:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Skydivesnake:
Rattler, or equivilent AR pistol with collapsible brace.

I've posted this before, but if you make a load spreader out of a tee and couple of pieces of pvc pipe and insert the muzzle into the tee, it carries very well in a regular pack without showing any outlines or sharp protrusions.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/97093/Screenshot_20220712-001701_Gallery_jpg-2-3242552.JPG
View Quote

@Skydivesnake

That is brilliant!
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#5]

I think there is a lot of merit to the concept of taking people seriously when they say things.  

The left whined about "not my President" in 2000, there were grumblings about stolen election etc in 2020.  But this year feels very, very different.  

A whole lot of people on both sides of the aisle seem ready to not accept the results if their team doesn't win.  

More disturbingly, a whole lot of people in media and current government have expressed repeatedly that Trump "cannot" be allowed to win.  

I think short of a 48 state nationwide blowout for Trump, the leftists in power will do anything they can to keep him out of office, and there's very little chance that is done peacefully.  And if Harris "wins", the right will either suspect fraud or simply not want to live in the same country as people that actually wanted a Harris/Walz administration anymore and who knows if that stops at simply ignoring DC Diktats and non compliance or actual resistance.  

I'm hoping for a Trump blowout and a clear mandate that Americans are done with the insane leftist radicals that have had power 16 out of the last 20 years.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

On a personal level, the main difference in the 2024 election that separates it from all others is the lack of political billboards and yard signs that I see, at least in my area.  It may be just in my area and things could also change by October, but it’s still very abnormal for this point in a Presidential election year.

I think a lot of the reasons for the lack of yard signs are that many now think elections are rigged and also because of the chaos surrounding the uncertainty of who the candidates will actually be on election day.  That uncertainty still seems to exist for both candidates, too.  Meanwhile, the Left is still judicially going after Trump to either disqualify his candidacy or put him in jail and Kamala seems to be in hiding to avoid interviews & speaking to the press.

In addition, I also think it may be why some don’t put political bumper stickers on their vehicles - the heightened sense that they just don’t want to potentially become targeted by the other side.  This is especially true should things turn spicy, which goes back to acknowledge why so many are seeing a climate for the likelihood of political violence occurring following the election.

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By bkpkr:
My 8.2” 300blk is best ratio of size to firepower.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/125849/IMG_5142_jpeg-3243569.JPG
View Quote

@bkpkr

IM sent.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:16:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Beyond_Visual_Range] [#7]
I like Bren a lot. Good versatile and short. Almost as short as Rattler, but a bit less teeth shaking.

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:40:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Beyond_Visual_Range:
I like Bren a lot. Good versatile and short. Almost as short as Rattler, but a bit less teeth shaking.

https://i.ibb.co/WymrJ9v/20220820-150952.jpg
View Quote

I like my 11” Bren a lot.  Reliable, light weight.  Its a great gun.  

Still easier to make a Rattler into a bag gun, but theres a lot to like about the Brens.

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:18:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:
Here's another option. 11.5" 5.56; 7lbs 2.5oz w/suppressor. Goes together in less than 1 minute.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/15341/20240627_203757-3252376.jpg
View Quote

@tortilla-flats

Who makes this?
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:22:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:25:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#11]
Originally Posted By AEROMechanic:

@tortilla-flats

Who makes this?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:
Here's another option. 11.5" 5.56; 7lbs 2.5oz w/suppressor. Goes together in less than 1 minute.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/15341/20240627_203757-3252376.jpg

@tortilla-flats

Who makes this?

https://cryhavoctac.com/223qrbgen2.html

Also: https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Air-Force-GAU-5A-Rifle/118-745022/?page=1

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 4:35:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bkpkr] [#13]

@bkpkr

IM sent.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bkpkr:
My 8.2” 300blk is best ratio of size to firepower.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/125849/IMG_5142_jpeg-3243569.JPG

@bkpkr

IM sent.

@AEROMechanic I got your message, posting the specs here.

It started life as an all Noveske build, but has transformed over the past 10 years. Upper is G, with 7” MK8, and 8.2” Noveske bbl, G ACH, AIM NiB bcg. Lower is Noveske with an SSA-E trigger, Magpul MIAD, and Q shorty stock. 300blk TA33 with a Holosun 507 riding on top.

Single chamber ASR brake so I can QD my SiCo Harvester.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 7:34:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By CFletch:
Braced/chassis Glock in .357sig shooting the hot 64/65gr Underwood loads gets you 5.56mm SBR ballistics from a longslide Glock barrel. The downside is it uses .357sig/40S&W mags, so the capacity isn't great compared to 9mm or 5.56mm
View Quote

This was something I was interested in doing until I asked the company who makes the bullets about it since load data wasn’t available on their site. They said it wasn’t safe to put these in .357Sig because the crimp location ends up being on the curved part of the bullet and that pushes chamber pressures too high….. Then I saw factory ammo and I was like “WTF?”.

I have been playing with the 9mm 68gr bullets in a 7.5” Glock 17 in the USW-G chassis. They are pretty spicy-definitely not something you just step out back with and pop a round off without hearing protection… even in a standard 115gr they are pretty damned loud. The jury is still out on getting it to run on a suppressor-had a malf on the first round of 115 and pulled it to get on with testing, seems ok on 147’s. I don’t have the 68gr. Chrono’d yet, but I’m expecting around 2,000fps-I’m getting 1740 out of a threaded G19 barrel.

Something I do wonder about is if using these bullets this fast will push them past their design envelope… but maybe with them being solid monolithic projectiles with little deformation it just doesn’t matter…
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 8:26:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Could I please receive some education on 300blk?

I’ve got a coworker who is absurdly anti-PCC because pistol calibers are for pistols, only rifle calibers are good for anything larger than a pistol.

While I disagree, he did spend several years in a career field where he shot other men in the face, so I’m not going discount his experience. Also, new guns are fun.

So, can I get a folding braced 300blk or 7.62x39 with like a 6in barrel, something roughly the same size as like an MP5K or an SBRd Glock 35? Looking for something that would fit in a backpack. Also, preferably not $3k.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 8:42:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Study of the grey man…

The Curious Case of The "Hyper Gray Man"...
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:04:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: f402mech] [#17]
Originally Posted By JaredGrey:

I’ve got a coworker who is absurdly anti-PCC because pistol calibers are for pistols, only rifle calibers are good for anything larger than a pistol.

While I disagree, he did spend several years in a career field where he shot other men in the face, so I’m not going discount his experience. Also, new guns are fun.

So, can I get a folding braced 300blk or 7.62x39 with like a 6in barrel, something roughly the same size as like an MP5K or an SBRd Glock 35? Looking for something that would fit in a backpack. Also, preferably not $3k.
View Quote

You just described the Sig Sauer Rattler. I am seeing them for $2,300ish these days.

Eta: here's just the upper kit from Sig that comes with the buffer tube adapter if you already have a non-Sig lower you want to use. You will still need a brace or stock as well which could be up to a few hundred depending on what you get.

Sig Kit
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:11:41 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

In terms of pre-built, a Rattle (5.5" 300blk) or Rattler LT (6.75" 300blk) or a Micro Draco (6.25" 7.62x39).  

You can build your own folder for a lot cheaper, however the LAW folder has a few restrictions. (Heavy.  Cannot charge while folded. Really cannot fire while folded).   There are a few options for piston uppers in 300blk that are out there, but only the SIG's are that short if you want a natural folder.   There are some piston uppers in the 8.5" range you can get.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By f402mech:

You just described the Sig Sauer Rattler. I am seeing them for $2,300ish these days.

Eta: here's just the upper kit from Sig that comes with the buffer tube adapter if you already have a non-Sig lower you want to use. You will still need a brace or stock as well which could be up to a few hundred depending on what you get.

Sig Kit
View Quote

Originally Posted By panthermark:

In terms of pre-built, a Rattle (5.5" 300blk) or Rattler LT (6.75" 300blk) or a Micro Draco (6.25" 7.62x39).  

You can build your own folder for a lot cheaper, however the LAW folder has a few restrictions. (Heavy.  Cannot charge while folded. Really cannot fire while folded).   There are a few options for piston uppers in 300blk that are out there, but only the SIG's are that short if you want a natural folder.   There are some piston uppers in the 8.5" range you can get.
View Quote

These are correct. Also 300bo is expensive ammo. But if you make peace with that AND want rifle ballistics that fit in a backpack, it’s really the best option.

The nice part of a rattler is that you can train with any cheaper AR for the most part so you don’t burn a ton of ammo. Mine is my HD/travel gun and I only have ~400 rounds through it over almost 3 years. I have thousands of rounds through 22s and 556 with the same controls though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:23:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

16” lever gun
14.5” AR
Rattler with K can (5.5”)
Flux Glock (may actually sell it, it’s my only Glock and I prefer the 365 these days)
Flux 365, going to build it better eventually

The Glock and 365 are about the same size and weight as the 1911 which is crazy.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 10:12:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By XNARC:
Study of the grey man…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbauPzA3SD8
View Quote

This is exactly what pushed me into getting something that could be discretely carried on the body under a jacket or in a fannypack, inspired from the original “Mostly peaceful election year” thread at the beginning of this year.  If that spice life spilled over into the Walmarts and grocery stores across America, I didn’t want to constantly stick out with a backpack or sling pack while roaming the many aisles where a 100 yd shot could possibly be required.  IMHO, the backpack or sling pack option fits in better for carrying to/from/in a vehicle or walking around in an outdoor environment. In an indoor grocery shopping environment?  Not so much.

From size, weight, caliber, & environment, everything’s a compromise to some extent and having multiple options is always a good thing.  My objective was to simply have choices before the panic buying potentially eliminated one of those options.

"when did Noah build the Ark?" Spy Game 2001

Link Posted: 8/28/2024 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Well, the long and short of it are that you want a .300 in your life because you feel a need to have both sub and supersonic capability in the same rifle and don’t mind either high ammo cost or reloading. If you aren’t going to shoot suppressed, get a 7.62x39 for better short barrel performance than a 5.56.

.300 subs are not a mile off larger PCC performance but you get better accuracy and slightly better longer range (I.e. 250 yard) performance. The big caveat is that ALL subsonic rounds at those distances are dropping like a stone and range estimation becomes super critical if you are hoping for a 1st round hit.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

These are correct. Also 300bo is expensive ammo. But if you make peace with that AND want rifle ballistics that fit in a backpack, it's really the best option.

The nice part of a rattler is that you can train with any cheaper AR for the most part so you don't burn a ton of ammo. Mine is my HD/travel gun and I only have ~400 rounds through it over almost 3 years. I have thousands of rounds through 22s and 556 with the same controls though.
View Quote
This is the way.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Sig Kit
View All Quotes

I've got a coworker who is absurdly anti-PCC because pistol calibers are for pistols, only rifle calibers are good for anything larger than a pistol.

While I disagree, he did spend several years in a career field where he shot other men in the face, so I'm not going discount his experience. Also, new guns are fun.

Sig Kit
Might be worth checking the EE.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 10:37:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

The nice part of a rattler is that you can train with any cheaper AR for the most part so you don’t burn a ton of ammo.
View Quote

I really need to finish my .22 rattler conversion
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

Well, the long and short of it are that you want a .300 in your life because you feel a need to have both sub and supersonic capability in the same rifle and don’t mind either high ammo cost or reloading. If you aren’t going to shoot suppressed, get a 7.62x39 for better short barrel performance than a 5.56.

.300 subs are not a mile off larger PCC performance but you get better accuracy and slightly better longer range (I.e. 250 yard) performance. The big caveat is that ALL subsonic rounds at those distances are dropping like a stone and range estimation becomes super critical if you are hoping for a 1st round hit.
View Quote

I’m not going to be shooting suppressed. Does that mean I should switch to x39? Folding brace x39 pistols are even harder to find than in 300blk?

For my use case (get home bag gun) does a folding brace pistol in 556, 300, or x39 offer $2700 worth of massive advantages over a folding brace Glock conversion in either 9mm or the gnarliest 357SIG available?
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't have one to make a recommendation one way or the other, but the Maxim PDX in 300 or x39 seems like it would fit your needs.  Pricey though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 2:22:04 PM EDT
[#28]

I really need to finish my .22 rattler conversion
View Quote

And share how you do it. I haven’t seen a kit yet.

I basically shoot a cmmg in an AR with similar weight/trigger/optics and it’s got enough training for sure.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 2:26:05 PM EDT
[#29]

I’m not going to be shooting suppressed. Does that mean I should switch to x39? Folding brace x39 pistols are even harder to find than in 300blk?

For my use case (get home bag gun) does a folding brace pistol in 556, 300, or x39 offer $2700 worth of massive advantages over a folding brace Glock conversion in either 9mm or the gnarliest 357SIG available?
View Quote

300 is nice because it uses all the same parts (except barrel) as a 556 AR. Even bcgs swap over. So to try the caliber is actually pretty cheap.

Only you can decide if rifle caliber is “enough” for you. Having been in a situation where I may have had to shoot a murderer who was 12 yards from my front door, I can tell you I didnt wish I was holding less gun. A 9mm pdw in a sling bag, glove box, holster, or bag sure beats a 300 on the house you don’t carry cause it’s too heavy.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 3:09:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheOtherDave] [#30]

View Quote

You might not see yourself shooting suppressed now, but shooting rifle caliber’s out of short barrels is extremely loud… if you really aren’t going to suppress it you are MUCH further ahead shooting x39 instead. One of those side folding AR’s, one of the Sig’s, or, if you want a fantastic rifle and can afford it, get an XCR-Mini or pistol. I’ve had my 16” rifle since they came out and it is still the most controllable and easy to run rifles I have, and I say that as a 2-gun competitor that builds specifically for recoil reduction with no cost spared. Gas piston, folding stock or brace, easy to change calibers on…. They just aren’t as cheap as an AR.

As for PCC vs. pistol in a chassis, that would depend on how you see yourself using it. I think I’m ok with a pistol caliber something based on my get home plans and my ability to shoot. A rifle would be better if you envision having to engage vehicles I guess or shoot more than 150 yards again man sized targets.

For me, the biggest asset is concealability. A chassis with a hand gun will fit in a glove box or any bag you can think of. A bag large enough to conceal a rifle based SBR, well, it may or may not scream “gun!” But it definitely makes people notice you when threat radar is turned on because people generally don’t carry bags around in normal life. Getting a handgun based chassis package where I need to is a non issue and they conceal under normal clothes on a 1 point sling.

The gun you actually have with you beats the shit out of the $3800 worth of boutique gun you left at home in the safe because it wasn’t practical to have with you all the time.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Trying out the PA 3x prism on the canebreak.

Link Posted: 8/28/2024 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Trying out the PA 3x prism on the canebreak.

https://i.imgur.com/2xtO41o.jpeg
View Quote

So far so good on my Tavor 7 and a AR. I’m running a green on one a red on the other future purchases will be in green. YMMV
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#33]

I like my 11” Bren a lot.  Reliable, light weight.  Its a great gun.  

Still easier to make a Rattler into a bag gun, but theres a lot to like about the Brens.

https://i.imgur.com/navg3ix.jpeg
View Quote

Did that come with that handguard? The one I've seen has a shorter handguard with more exposed barrel. Curious if sourcing the longer handguard would be easy. I'm intrigued by both the 5.56 version as well as the 7.62x39 version.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By GunsAndGoats:
Did that come with that handguard?
View Quote

Mine did because I bought it used.  

That's an HB Industries handguard, you're right that the factory ones are made for European manlets who grip the gun by the magwell I guess.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 8:48:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:

So far so good on my Tavor 7 and a AR. I’m running a green on one a red on the other future purchases will be in green. YMMV
View Quote

This is a green one with the 300blk reticle in it.  Stole it off another project.  

If it works out well, I really like the size footprint for the rattler, and having 3x is about perfect for this size of gun.  I could go really goofy with it and top mount a red dot.....
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Speaking of PA microprisms, the SLX-1X is offered in a 9mm reticle that is matched for 115gr bullets on 7.5 and 16” barrels. I have two of them, one was replaced under warranty after a house fire and the other is on my USW-G. These may give up a few tenths of a second over a red dot, but it’s awful close and if you are using a PDW for PDW distances, a BDC reticle really matters on a pistol caliber gun past about 120m.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Trying to decide on the optic for this bad boy. I like an EOTech on it, but I also kinda think an ACRO P2 would go well.

Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:03:36 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

I still have civil unrest blue balls from the DNC.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By colklink:

View Quote

The people holding the purse strings of the agitators of our Mostly Peaceful 2020 were not interested in making the DNC a shitshow, so all you got was some of the true believers.  

If they feel it would be beneficial, the money and pallets of bricks will show up.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

I think the big hoopla surrounding that was just to get people to tune into the Democrat Convention.

When they throw their big party, they’ll want to take it coast to coast.

Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:17:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Lothbrok:
Trying to decide on the optic for this bad boy. I like an EOTech on it, but I also kinda think an ACRO P2 would go well.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102217/IMG_3689-3304904.jpg
View Quote

P2 if a bag gun.  

EoTech for the vibes.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:26:15 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Eotech Battery life sucks and you don't need the complex reticle TBH. Any small Aimpoint, P2, H1, H2, T1, T2
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Holosun 509ACSS would be my choice by a mile. Big FOV, giant ring to help get you on center with a big, cumbersome ‘handgun’ like that when shooting like a handgun, solar powered with a battery backup, and if you have astigmatism like I do, Holosun is the only way to get a crisp reticle in a big name red dot without resorting to a Dual Illuminated RMR.

But the big deal here is the Chevron reticle because it offers BDC capability, reaching out is the whole reason to have a PDW, or you’d just build a Roland Special and go with it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#44]

Mine did because I bought it used.  

That's an HB Industries handguard, you're right that the factory ones are made for European manlets who grip the gun by the magwell I guess.
View Quote

How does it run? I really like the Bren on paper, but have  read some reports of them not being very reliable, at least the Brem 2. But that looked like an old thread.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 2:55:46 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

For your first question, I'd say probably not.  But that depends on if you are already into 7.62x39.    

I don't shoot suppressed (thanks Illinois) and I picked 300blk over 7.62x39 for a few reasons.

1. I don't own, nor want to own an AK/Draco/SKS, nor do a want a jenky AK mix shoe horned into an AR lower.  Since I don't own any 7.62x39 mags, ammo or parts, going 7.62x would have been a leap for me.   It was very easy to get into 300blk from 5.56, which leads to #2

2. Manual of Arms - I have a couple of shortly 22LR uppers that I shoot more than anything else.  They mimic my shortie 300blks uppers.   I have some 5.56 uppers in the safe as well.  Everything runs on the same lower(s), so the trigger feel, safety, charging handle, bolt release, mag release, etc are always in the same place.   Even the SIG piston uppers can run on mil-spec lowers.

3. 7.62x39 ammo isn't as cheap as it used to be.    While still cheaper than 300blk, long gone are the days of $0.20/rd cheap steel.

4. As barrels get shorter, the advantages of more powder decrease.  They simply become more inefficient.

5. You may one day want to shoot subs.  

---
As far as a get home gear , I have specific thoughts on that.  If you have to "leave" your vehicle. A cheap foldable bicycle is far more valuable than a 2nd handgun in a chassis or a folding micro rifle.  This is assuming you already have an everyday carry pistol on you.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2024 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By RedFox1911:

Eotech Battery life sucks and you don't need the complex reticle TBH. Any small Aimpoint, P2, H1, H2, T1, T2
View Quote

And they all have the advantage over prisms in that they can be used for passive aiming under NVGs.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By GunsAndGoats:

How does it run? I really like the Bren on paper, but have  read some reports of them not being very reliable, at least the Brem 2. But that looked like an old thread.
View Quote

It's a new gun to me.  I have less than 500 rounds through it.  Hasn't given me any trouble, but I also haven't shot it enough to say anything definitive.

Seems to be getting a lot of love in Ukraine right now, and the Czechs build good stuff.  

The reliability issues you've heard about may have been with the 7.62x39 variant.  I haven't heard any issues with the 5.56 guns.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By livinfree:

I don’t want to add any new calibers.

I’m from the old school and have .40 cal, not a lot of options for me without a large cost and trying to ensure reliability.

Respectfully asking these questions regarding the OPs scenario…

Fireball and concussion of .556?  I already have my glasses on and have my hearing protection with me.  Wouldn’t that be a good thing?

Performance of 5.7 x 28?  Isn’t that enough?

View Quote

SS198LF is my go to ammo type in 5.7 for both my PS90 SBR and my Five Seven MRD.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#49]

As far as a get home gear , I have specific thoughts on that.  If you have to "leave" your vehicle. A cheap foldable bicycle is far more valuable than a 2nd handgun in a chassis or a folding micro rifle.  This is assuming you already have an everyday carry pistol on you.  

View Quote

This is tangential to the thread, but I have questions.  What scenario do you see where you'd be walking/biking home and abandoning your car?  

I see this "get home bag" concept a lot revolving around leaving behind a car and I don't think I understand the thinking.  My best guess is people have read prepper fantasy revolving around EMPs and picture their cars getting disabled.  

I've been around hurricane evacuations, severe freezing weather, fire evacs etc and never seen people leaving their cars to walk anywhere, it's either drive out or shelter in place depending on scenario.  So I guess my question is what scenario are you envisioning leaving your vehicle behind and riding your foldable bicycle home?  
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 4:37:05 PM EDT
[#50]

This is tangential to the thread, but I have questions.  What scenario do you see where you'd be walking/biking home and abandoning your car?  

I see this "get home bag" concept a lot revolving around leaving behind a car and I don't think I understand the thinking.  My best guess is people have read prepper fantasy revolving around EMPs and picture their cars getting disabled.  

I've been around hurricane evacuations, severe freezing weather, fire evacs etc and never seen people leaving their cars to walk anywhere, it's either drive out or shelter in place depending on scenario.  So I guess my question is what scenario are you envisioning leaving your vehicle behind and riding your foldable bicycle home?  
View All Quotes

Whenever I've built mine, I envision it as whatever I need to get home from my work or other places I'm commonly at away from home. I certainly hope that I'll be taking my car, but don't want to take it for granted. Could have to abandon a car due to mechanical issues, blocked roads (natural or manmade blockages), or something unforeseen. Might also need to deal with potential riots, roadblocking mobs, carjacking on a mass scale, etc.

I have a car recovery kit with battery charger, extra fluids, tools, etc., but my get home bag is built with the assumption that I might need to leg it in the more extreme scenarios. If I plan and prep for that, anything less will be easily covered by what I have.
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top