Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 3:49:28 AM EDT
[#1]
TL;DR. Dude is dead and we haven’t come to a conclusion if we are cool with robots killing people.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 3:53:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
TL;DR. Dude is dead and we haven't come to a conclusion if we are cool with robots killing people.
View Quote
I wish robots would kill more people. Lets get this on while I'm young, Cyberdyne!
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 3:55:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
TL;DR. Dude is dead and we haven’t come to a conclusion if we are cool with robots killing people.
View Quote
Pretty sure we're cool with this instance.

Cops with offensive explosives like hand grenades or 40mm HE rounds = bad.

Cops using breaching charges and a remote controlled robot in an improvised manner to kill a barricaded armed suspect without further risking police lives = fine.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 4:34:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow, what a great read.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 4:36:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Cops using breaching charges and a remote controlled robot in an improvised manner to kill a barricaded armed suspect without further risking police lives = fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
TL;DR. Dude is dead and we haven't come to a conclusion if we are cool with robots killing people.

Apparently, it's still bad, if you're pro-ANTIFA. Because terrorism, ya'know. Question authority, and all that.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 4:39:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I remember I called this guy as a leftist black supremacist very early on. Vindicated yet again.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 7:31:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Good read
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 7:39:25 AM EDT
[#8]
If the gov wanted to cover up a false flag mass shooting and wrap everything up with a dead “shooter” I’m hard pressed to think of a better way to do so than with an explosive wielding robot.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 8:54:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I found this on the Lawdog Files blog after stumbling there from a link in the Saudi thread. Remember the Dallas PD using a robot to take out the cornered shooter? Here is the story of what happened.

https://interactives.dallasnews.com/2018/standoff/
View Quote
Great article, thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I really hope those guys learned from that not to leave their plate carriers in the vehicle next time. Interesting insight that the black officers did not want to pull over other blacks with warrants because feels.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 10:10:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I was hoping for a short story this morning. This was not, but it was excellent. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Damn that was a good story.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
One thing is for sure if you've killed people, are holed up alone, and the cops offer to send you a phone by robot don't accept it. That being said if you are holed up alone the cops might just use "burners" on you anyways.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 10:47:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I really hope those guys learned from that not to leave their plate carriers in the vehicle next time. Interesting insight that the black officers did not want to pull over other blacks with warrants because feels.
View Quote
This phenomenon likely does nothing to ease tensions between the Police and the citizens (the Dems, Black Panthers, and BLM will ensure the flames stay fanned high), but it DOES allow and encourage more disrespect for the law, and non-compliance with it, in the long term.

And that's why we have command structure to issue orders.....and maintain discipline.  Apparently they aren't doing much of that.

It's just like having teenagers who thumb their nose at your curfew.  If you let them get away with it, it won't be long before they are doing yet even more fucked up shit.  You gotta keep the lid on.  Just letting them go just guarantees they will find even more trouble.....
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#16]
A well written and informative article, thanks for posting it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 11:06:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's not just about race. Some guys in LE are gung go about hooking every last motherfucker for every stupid charge imaginable. Some of us have a slightly larger perspective on life.

When my partner got into a fight with two kids one night, and the neighborhood intervened on his side, I found out a few moments later that the neighbor helping out was a guy I had pulled over months before, and decided to write a single ticket for instead of slamming him with criminal traffic charges for tag violations. Guy had remembered and when push came to shove, sided with LE because of how I treated him.

The whole "everyone is a criminal if you look hard enough" concept is pretty true, particularly when you start getting into traffic statutes. You can choose to go to war with the community and charge everyone...or be an adult, serve the people, and focus your efforts on fraction of the people who represent the real threats to the public.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 11:15:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's not just about race. Some guys in LE are gung go about hooking every last motherfucker for every stupid charge imaginable. Some of us have a slightly larger perspective on life.

When my partner got into a fight with two kids one night, and the neighborhood intervened on his side, I found out a few moments later that the neighbor helping out was a guy I had pulled over months before, and decided to write a single ticket for instead of slamming him with criminal traffic charges for tag violations. Guy had remembered and when push came to shove, sided with LE because of how I treated him.

The whole "everyone is a criminal if you look hard enough" concept is pretty true, particularly when you start getting into traffic statutes. You can choose to go to war with the community and charge everyone...or be an adult, serve the people, and focus your efforts on fraction of the people who represent the real threats to the public.
View Quote
I agree, and that is why officer discretion is a thing. It is, however, also true that when local youth grow up committing petty street crimes from the age of ten or so and officers look the other way they often progress to more serious felonies. There is a time and place to let someone go, but broken windows theory is pretty solid. Sitting in a car refusing to pick people up for outstanding warrants in a blanket fashion does not help with community policing.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 11:37:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Bomb Bot 1 Dallas Bad Guy Zero and no fucks given

Link Posted: 2/5/2018 12:23:00 PM EDT
[#21]
No joy, followed by joy
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
A Missouri State Trooper was telling me a story about the time he went to go pick up a guy in a shack in the Ozarks on a pretty serious warrant. The suspect's family was angry, and Trooper took time to explain to the man's son that his father needed to talk with a Judge, but that the Troopers didn't want to hurt him, and once his Dad had done his business, he was sure he'd come back home even if took awhile, because it seemed like he loved his son and son loved him.

Turned out the guy was was lying in wait with a shotgun but didn't shoot. When the suspect turned himself in, he mentioned to the Trooper "thanks for not shit-talking me in front of my boy."

The Trooper said to me, "I've cuffed up a million people since then. But I always try to be nice until I need to be mad dog mean."
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 12:34:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Those DPD guys seem like a good group.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#24]
He didn't stay woke

Link Posted: 2/5/2018 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Excellent read. Thanks for posting that link, OP.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 1:13:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Another way they could have switched over to night vision, turn off the lights in the building and gas him.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 1:22:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Another way they could have switched over to night vision, turn off the lights in the building and gas him.
View Quote
Same problem, they still would have had to mask up and dig him out.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#29]
That was well written, and a great read.
Thanks for posting
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Very good read. While I am glad the killer is dead I still have issues with "LE" using explosives to kill citizens just like I have issues with LE having beltfeds.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 3:30:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Probably the best article from that paper in a decade.Good read.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 3:31:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Bump to top.  Everyone should read this. DPDS, getting the job done.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Guy made it very clear he wanted to die in combat against police.  He had plenty of opportunity to surrender and I have no doubt that if he'd changed his mind at any point in time right up until the end they would have accepted having to arrest him alive.  I'm fine with how they did it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
The Robot did not kill him. The human with his finger on the button did. Just like the gun does not kill, the person that pulls the trigger does. The Robot was just a delivery system.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Good article.  Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 4:36:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Well... bye.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Was the robot a total loss?
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Does anyone know what the gunmans last shots are all about after the blast? Was it just reflexes from having a finger on the trigger? I assume it was determined he didn't shoot himself after the blast, right?
View Quote
I am curious about this as well.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

One thing is for sure if you've killed people, are holed up alone, and the cops offer to send you a phone by robot don't accept it. That being said if you are holed up alone the cops might just use "burners" on you anyways.
View Quote
Is there some unique phenomenon where people don't understand that deploying pyrotechnics against Dorner was a deliberate and justified use of deadly force? Nobody was trying to be cute, it was a conscious decision to use deadly force. Pyrotechnic gas / smoke used against a barricaded subject is understood to be deadly force.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 5:22:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm not sure what DPD's NVG capabilities are, but most PDs are not properly equipped or trained for no-light operations. As you read in the article, even full time teams which are properly equipped often get sent to do BS duties like drive around the hood and generate meaningless stats, rather than train for the day that call comes.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 5:23:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Very good read. While I am glad the killer is dead I still have issues with "LE" using explosives to kill citizens just like I have issues with LE having beltfeds.
View Quote
If it makes you feel better, they didn't use a purpose built explosive device, like a hand grenade or a 40mm. They used repurposed explosives from their breaching charges to construct an improvised explosive device.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 5:25:21 PM EDT
[#42]
That was a great read. RIP officers.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If it makes you feel better, they didn't use a purpose built explosive device, like a hand grenade or a 40mm. They used repurposed explosives from their breaching charges to construct an improvised explosive device.
View Quote
I know what they used as I actually read the article. and it did not make me feel better.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 5:53:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
When faced with military problems cops have to use military solutions. The other options are to let the military handle incidents that are out of the scope of normal policing duties or let criminals and terrorists run around willy nilly with the hope that a sheep hitting pipedog or officer Wiggum can stop him with a sidearm or bare bones carbine they are not trained well on.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If the gov wanted to cover up a false flag mass shooting and wrap everything up with a dead “shooter” I’m hard pressed to think of a better way to do so than with an explosive wielding robot.
View Quote
.......and we're off
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I know what they used as I actually read the article. and it did not make me feel better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The more I read, the more glad I am that you're butthurt about it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 10:09:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Was the robot a total loss?
View Quote
According to a report that came out sometime after the raid, no. I believe they replaced the arms and a few other bits and placed it back in service.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 10:10:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Damn that was a good story.
View Quote
Indeed it was.  Thanks OP for posting it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That was a very well written article.
View Quote
Indeed, I was impressed.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top