Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 74
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:00:13 AM EDT
[#1]
As promised:

Little update with some photos of the work late yesterday afternoon on the bow.  

The kids cut 2"x1/2" cuts in the top and bottom of each of the four front "Frames" so they could slide onto the profile piece.   It helps us figure out exactly where each contour goes.   The kids were looking at me kind of funny when I first explained why we were doing it that way, but now they see how it's going to help them.

Everything is still loose, but close to where they need to be.   Today we should get them all secured down and in position.

The bow of the boat raises slightly, so the cant that you can see here is where we want it to end up.    We cut a slot in the bow profile piece for the 2x4 to slide thought.   We will probably end up cutting a second when we finish up the bottom 2x2 keel piece.

The kids just had a little time to try to get the bottom keel 2x4 slid up into the frames.   Today it will get adjusted and screwed down.

One of my coworkers(teacher and also neighbor) was already complaining about the stern section being in the hallway, and "so early in the year for this."

I figure I must be doing it right.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By guns762:
As promised:

Little update with some photos of the work late yesterday afternoon on the bow.  

The kids cut 2"x1/2" cuts in the top and bottom of each of the four front "Frames" so they could slide onto the profile piece.   It helps us figure out exactly where each contour goes.   The kids were looking at me kind of funny when I first explained why we were doing it that way, but now they see how it's going to help them.

Everything is still loose, but close to where they need to be.   Today we should get them all secured down and in position.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/570/21321825635_0d3edcdea7_b.jpg

The bow of the boat raises slightly, so the cant that you can see here is where we want it to end up.    We cut a slot in the bow profile piece for the 2x4 to slide thought.   We will probably end up cutting a second when we finish up the bottom 2x2 keel piece.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5813/21321829825_398c7eb3e4_b.jpg

The kids just had a little time to try to get the bottom keel 2x4 slid up into the frames.   Today it will get adjusted and screwed down.
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5719/20700762783_94a58b356b_b.jpg

One of my coworkers(teacher and also neighbor) was already complaining about the stern section being in the hallway, and "so early in the year for this."

View Quote

Awesome.  Thank you for sharing your creations, I really enjoy these threads.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks awesome--Great job on the cable cutter!
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:13:18 AM EDT
[#4]

<Snip>

View Quote
Tell him that now he knows how Winston Churchill felt in 1941.  

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:15:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Looking good.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:17:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By sgwlower:
Looks awesome--Great job on the cable cutter!
View Quote

I'm not sure they got the angles right on that, but it does seem to alternate every other tooth, so maybe it's right.   I'm going to have them look at it again and see if it needs adjusted.  

Might have to take a rasp to the edges when we get closer to done.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 10:18:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#7]
Originally Posted By Dilbert_556:
Tell him her that now she knows how Winston Churchill felt in 1941.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
<Snip>

Tell him her that now she knows how Winston Churchill felt in 1941.  

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Is the German teacher involved in this?  Perhaps the theater teacher could come up w/ authentic looking work smocks?  
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 12:13:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Is the German teacher involved in this?  Perhaps the theater teacher could come up w/ authentic looking work smocks?  
View Quote

French and Spanish only here.    No German teacher.  

I actually addressed the faculty at one of our first meetings and talked to many individually, offering  a chance to get involved.   I've had no takers(other than robotics), although the woods teacher now thinks he wants to help next year.

It really comes down to a set curriculum, and the red tape and bullshit people have to go through to change it up.   They are also intensely worried about test scores.    Part of that is a cop-out, but I do understand that it takes extra work to try to incorporate something like this into their curriculum.   We have a good faculty, and kids get an excellent education here.  

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By guns762:  French and Spanish only here.    No German teacher.  

I actually addressed the faculty at one of our first meetings and talked to many individually, offering  a chance to get involved.   I've had no takers(other than robotics), although the woods teacher now thinks he wants to help next year.

It really comes down to a set curriculum, and the red tape and bullshit people have to go through to change it up.   They are also intensely worried about test scores.    Part of that is a cop-out, but I do understand that it takes extra work to try to incorporate something like this into their curriculum.   We have a good faculty, and kids get an excellent education here.  
View Quote

That last part is quite obvious.  We'll settle for pics of the mine crewe in full regalia.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#11]
tag for awesomeness
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Someone once said:  "I'd trust a cheerleader to do an appendectomy with a saws-all, before I'd trust ....[blank]"

Well, I've got that photo......  

Later.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Looking good...
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 5:13:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#14]
Someone once said: "I'd trust a cheerleader to do an appendectomy with a saws-all, before I'd trust ....[blank]"

Later.
View Quote

No children, tools, or teachers were harmed in this dramatization.    There was perhaps a bit of fun had though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#15]

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/768/21142988338_1351905099_b.jpg

No children, tools, or teachers were harmed in this dramatization.    There was perhaps a bit of fun had though.
View All Quotes

Someone once said: "I'd trust a cheerleader to do an appendectomy with a saws-all, before I'd trust ....[blank]"

Later.

LOLOL!

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 6:03:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#16]
Update 9/11.2

Getting the frames all level and lined up.

Using the flat floor to help us get level, although having the front raised up slightly made us do a little leveling with blocks under some of the frames.

The bow section is quite a bit longer than the stern.

Adding the lower keel beam, and attaching the frames.

Fixing the net cutting teeth.  This took two different efforts from two different students.

The apendectomy patient still alive and goofing while he's supposed to be getting the trusses attached.

Working on the mines, getting a paper machet on them.  Give me time on the underwater gear for the next update.

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 6:13:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#17]
Where we finished up today.  Almost ready for the 1/4" ribs on Monday.

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Tagged. I love these threads. OP is the man.

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 6:15:17 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

Later.

Pics broken.

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Daytona955i:
Pics broken.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Daytona955i:

Later.

Pics broken.  

Should be fixed......sorry.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Awesome! Thanks for the update!
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Another epic thread by you, OP.

I was watching a documentary on Smithsonian Channel title, Battle for the Atlantic.  Focus of the episode I watched was on the U Boats.  Lot of great archival footage for the kids,

Snippets available online.
Uboats on D-Day video is online.  http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/videos/u-boats-on-d-day/15897?tag=warships

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Small Update:

We will not be allowed to run power to the sub for movement, sounds, or anything else.    

We would be allowed to use solar power panels if we can make it work, but I'm guessing from the lack of completion of the Dragon with similar ideas, this will go no where also.  

We would be allowed to have lights, and sounds outside of the boat, and be motion activated, but not in the boat.

View Quote

Not even low voltage DC from a battery?

m

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#24]

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/768/21142988338_f53383a39d_b.jpg

View All Quotes

Later.

Psssst, the appendix is on the other side.  LMFAO

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

Later.

Dammit you beat me, I was just about to go "Wait, wrong side!"
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:45:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#26]

View All Quotes

Later.

The best part of the photo is because of that.  Even the kids knew that and set it up that way.    They tried switching it around and I told them, no, it's funnier this way.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#27]

The best part of the photo is because of that.  Even the kids knew that and set it up that way.    They tried switching it around and I told them, no, it's funnier this way.
View All Quotes

Later.

She'd find it eventually if she rooted around in there long enough.

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:46:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#28]
Originally Posted By resq2106:
  She'd find it eventually if she rooted around in there long enough.

View Quote

That blade was long enough to reach from this side.  
Even funnier was how many pissed off former cheerleaders I had today.  Last year, I had a whole class full; well, several didn't go out for it this year and we're pissed we did this photo this year and not last.  They remembered me saying we should do it last year.  

I got quite a few scowls today.

We had to go recruit one girl in uniform, from another class.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:50:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Just finished Robert Stern's The Type VII U-Boat.  Are you using it as a reference?
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By 4v50:
Just finished Robert Stern's The Type VII U-Boat.  Are you using it as a reference?
View Quote

No.

At this point we are looking at diagrams posted earlier in the thread, a plastic model,  and lots and lots of photographs.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 1:33:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Andras:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Andras:

Later.

Maybe he is like my daughter.  Malrotation of her organs has most everything reversed!  
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Guess you don't have a brass or bronze foundry setup..would be epic to have a lost foam casting for the screw.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 11:24:14 AM EDT
[#33]
if you need a substitute teacher, let me know.

Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:40:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Keith_J:
Guess you don't have a brass or bronze foundry setup..would be epic to have a lost foam casting for the screw.
View Quote

No, and I'm sad to say I wouldn't know how to do that.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 2:40:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Tango7:

I'm sure someone here has some expertise they could lend you.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tango7:
Originally Posted By Keith_J:

No, and I'm sad to say I wouldn't know how to do that.  

I'm sure someone here has some expertise they could lend you.

"Ok, students, today we have a guest demonstrator. Ms/Mr Iron Worker has brought in their forge, sand, and will do a pour of the screws that will be mounted on the stern of our boat. The metal is hot - don't touch it. Everyone got their permissions slips?"
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 1:59:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Fantastic progress!
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Neat project.  Don't forget to allow for the weight ( as in transportation) and for a viewing area around the finished scale replica.  A 2 foot wide walkway will really suck.  I would think the height of the replica would be more in line with a cradle of some sort instead of suspended from a ceiling.  You will probably have to reinforce the ceiling for the extra weight.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

Later.

Good planning, you had the staple gun close to stitch him up when she was done.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By hockeysew:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hockeysew:

Later.

We think ahead around here.    
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Pacodutaco:
Neat project.  Don't forget to allow for the weight ( as in transportation) and for a viewing area around the finished scale replica.  A 2 foot wide walkway will really suck.  I would think the height of the replica would be more in line with a cradle of some sort instead of suspended from a ceiling.  You will probably have to reinforce the ceiling for the extra weight.
View Quote

Ceiling has been thoroughly checked and ok'ed for massive amounts of weight more than anywhere near where we will be on this.

This ain't our first rodeo with this kind of project.    

As far as displayed, I'd love to have it cradled lower, but it will have to be about 9-10 feet up at the lowest point.   Just the way it works.   It will still be pretty easy to see all the details.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Small Update:

We will not be allowed to run power to the sub for movement, sounds, or anything else.    

We would be allowed to use solar power panels if we can make it work, but I'm guessing from the lack of completion of the Dragon with similar ideas, this will go no where also.  

We would be allowed to have lights, and sounds outside of the boat, and be motion activated, but not in the boat.

View Quote

Follow the letter, not the spirit of the law.

If you can't run a power cable, get the robotics team on wireless power transfer.

Here's some interesting reading.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Wireless-Power-Transmission-Over-Short-Distances-U/?ALLSTEPShttp://www.instructables.com/id/Wireless-Power-Transmission-Over-Short-Distances-U/?ALLSTEPS

Another good read.
http://tomtor.blogspot.nl/2012/09/solar-powered-arduino-and-attiny.html

Alternatively, you *could* also run mechanical power to the thing, (think old school belt drive) and convert it over to DC once it's onboard. If you were doing that route, you might do best with a flex cable spinning shaft deal, and hiding it as a guy wire that's supporting the structure.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 9:01:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Update 9/14

Good day today.  Lots of rigidity crossways was added today.  We first added a few 1x2s to some of the front frames that had more than the usual distance between them.

We cleaned up a few areas that were slightly out of line.

Flipped it over, but we need the stands as it wants to roll with the front coming up slighly.  We were pretty excited to see it upright and looking pretty epic.

In the afternoon the group started on the 1/4 inch trim.  We ended up just holding it upright after the first few lower rows, as they were waiting on part of the group to built two more stands.

The curve up top gave us a few problems and a couple broken pieces, but they figured out how far they could push it before needing to cut and start a new piece.  The profile looks pretty dang good, and just like the plastic model.

Back over for finishing up the 1/4 inch trim.

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 1:01:09 AM EDT
[#44]
It's really starting to take shape. I can't wait to see how it turns out!
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 4:45:48 AM EDT
[#45]
What is the skill level of your student? Is that something you work on or just go with what you get?
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 8:26:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#46]
Originally Posted By Pogo55:
What is the skill level of your student? Is that something you work on or just go with what you get?
View Quote

There are about 17 kids currently working on this throughout the day from different classes.  I'm hoping to get another 30 or 40 on it at different times though the year.

Some have worked on previous projects. Some have skills learned in other classes and some have never held a power tool in their hands.

It's fun to teach a kid how to use a drill, that's never even held one before.  

Sometimes we end up redoing parts that don't get the skill level thst they deserve.  Usually I already know the quality of work the kid will put out just by seeing them work on a traditional art project.   All I have to do is explain the new tool, safetly, and what is expected, then turn them loose.

You can see the self confidence rise in kids that thought they couldn't run a jigsaw, or brad-nailer.  One of the reasons I love these projects so much.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 8:32:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ishoot2live] [#47]
I love your project threads, guns!

Can't wait to see more pics!

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 8:58:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mjohn3006] [#48]
So awesome!

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before, I have loved every single thread. I'm curious how you grade the students on a project like this? Overall participation/effectiveness? Do you test at the end on some of the skills/knowledge they learned doing the project?

I wish I had something half as cool when I was in school. I'm just interested because I know some school systems can have really stupid grading systems and what you have to do to conform to those systems. I think you are doing awesome work and teaching kids life skills in math, history, art, logistics, teamwork, home improvement and countless other things with these projects.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:47:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#49]
Originally Posted By mjohn3006:
So awesome!

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before, I have loved every single thread. I'm curious how you grade the students on a project like this? Overall participation/effectiveness? You you test at the end on some of the skills/knowledge they learned doing the project?

I wish I had something half as cool when I was in school. I'm just interested because I know some school systems can have really stupid grading systems and what you have to do to conform to those systems. I think you are doing awesome work and teaching kids life skills in math, history, art, logistics, teamwork, home improvement and countless other things with these projects.
View Quote

Good question.

Group projects are very difficult to grade an individual on.  What I hate most about them.  Especially, one like this, where I'm directing the work, and deciding if something needs reworked or not.  

In the end, it really comes down to work ethic, participation, attitude, and quality of work performed.   We have a couple of rubrics I developed long ago that are very generic.   I use them on all of the projects. The kids fill them out themselves, giving themselves a % and letter grade; then I get them, and put down where I think they performed.   Sometimes we are very close, and sometimes not so much.  Mine are the marks that go in the book, but self evaluation is one of the most important things the kids can learn on something like this, or any other project.  

There are other daily lab grades, critique, and weekly sketch grades that go into the thee weeks that most of these kids will spend on this project.   Most kids will move on to another project after this three weeks, ending this Friday.   Others will continue on, but those are my advanced students, who are doing the majority of the work.   They work independently, and select their own projects.  Some will move on, others will continue, as this was their sole reason to sign up for this class again.  Those kids are easier to grade as the final product as a whole is every bit representative of their work.

In the end, is it mostly subjective?  Hell yes.   I occasionally have a parent object, but my answer is always the same.   Yes, its subjective, and that's why they hired me, that's why I get paid the big bucks.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 10:06:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top