Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 74
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is the 3D version of the rubric we use.  Obviously not all of the elements come into play every project.   The first two elements are the most important, and weighted as such.  

Like I said, it's all very generic, but it allows kids to self evaluate, and for me to reinforce that evaluation with detailed comments if need be.  

Students choose and circle up to three comments per cell that best describe their performance.   They can circle one from one cell, and two from another if that's what fits best, then move on to the next element.  

Finally, they write what percentage and letter grade they think they have earned in the margin.

We do have traditional tests, and I use one on a particular Art History lesson every year, but in performance based education, the performance is the test.    You either do it, or you don't.  

Students in my class also put together a digital portfolio(10% of their entire grade) that they build through out the year with examples of each of their art works.   They are also encouraged to include examples from other performance based education classes.    I tell them to put in their poems, short stories, woods projects, culinary dishes, welding projects, photographs they took, and anything else that might show what they are capable of.   This is something that I stress is not for me, but for them to show to future employers.   It's an example of what they are capable.   Maybe an employer won't care about their art project, but the craftsmanship and attention to detail will be very evident in the portfolio, and those are qualities any employer will be interested in.  

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 10:20:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 40xb-shooter:
OP do you have any students this year that are breaking out of a shell or a funk of some sort? I know in the past you have had a trouble student or two that progressed from these projects.
View Quote

You mean juvenile delinquents, ready to transition from boys and girls state jail school, to the state pen?  

Not yet, but It's early on in the project.   Many of said students have not been given the opportunity to get involved in this yet.    

In all seriousness, all the students involved so far are really great kids.   It's making this project sail along right now.    There are a few students like you are describing but we will see if they get fully engulfed in this like past students.  

One of those students you described is down in Denver at a culinary school right now.   His parents own a local restaurant, and I'm sure he will end up owning it some day.   He seems to love culinary school.   I'm very proud of how he's set his course in the right direction.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:33:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I went back and read your previous build threads...let me say (as many already have) how lucky these kids are to have you.

I think many people involved with public education (Especially those higher up) tend to forget there is MUCH more to education than what is between the covers of the "Approved" teaching materials.

Reminds me of my Auto Shop teacher in high school.  I miss those days.  I got to use the shop tools / resources to rebuild the engine that went into my old Chevelle.  My final "Exam" was installing it and starting it and successfully putting it on the road.  That was my Freshman year.  Sophomore year I rebuilt the Muncie 4 speed (the first of MANY) among other things.

Thanks again for what you do.

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#5]
We are looking at laying out the conning tower today.  Let me just say, thank goodness we are doing the VIIC and not the 41 version.  

We were looking at the plans of the VIIC and then the model of the 41 and thinking......that would have sucked.

The VIIC's tower is much simpler.   Hopefully I have enough wood in inventory that we can get  a little started on it today.    If not, trip to the lumber store after school.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Update 9/15

Students started the conning tower today and finished up the ribbing on the bow section.

First the conning tower.  
The stencils:  base layer, mid deck and the shroud on top.

Here, he's laying out the placement of the 1x2s.  

Here it is all cut out.  I'm shocked they didn't break off those little tabs.  We talked about the chance that they would never survive.  They did!

Getting ready for the base cut out.

My student using an interesting position to finish up the front stand.

And the ribbing , getting all finished up.  One stupid piece took them 4 tries to finally get it on there without breaking.  

Of course, they are still working on the mines too.  After a couple coats of paper, they glued some twine around them to make the seam that is prevalent on the examples we are using.  Then another coat of paper over top.

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:43:53 PM EDT
[#7]
What a cool project, the kids are lucky to have a great teacher like you. did you decide what identification you are painting on the conning tower?
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 9:52:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Denner:
What a cool project, the kids are lucky to have a great teacher like you. did you decide what identification you are painting on the conning tower?
View Quote

Kind of wanted to go with the U96  scheme to tie it in with history as well as the movie Das Boot.

We went thst direction with the stagecoach too.  Hopefully it inspires kids to see the movie, first, but more importantly gain a little knowledge of history second.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Guns,

Don't forget to put the Hertz Horns on your mines.

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 10:43:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#10]
Originally Posted By ishoot2live:
Guns,

View Quote

Haven't forgotten.

We are going to use some washers and some small dowel.  Once glued on, we will paint them.  This is just the first step in getting the likeness we are going for.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:07:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By guns762:

Kind of wanted to go with the U96  scheme to tie it in with history as well as the movie Das Boot.

We went thst direction with the stagecoach too.  Hopefully it inspires kids to see the movie, first, but more importantly gain a little knowledge of history second.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Denner:

Nice!!

Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:44:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Haven't forgotten.

We are going to use some washers and some small dowel.  Once glued on, we will paint them.  This is just the first step in getting the likeness we are going for.
View All Quotes
Guns,

Haven't forgotten.

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 12:48:00 AM EDT
[#13]

So, what the hell happens in wood shop if you're building this in art class?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 6:17:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By elcope:

Nice!!

http://www.reocities.com/CapitolHill/Congress/2106/u96/sfish_red.jpg

View Quote

If you have the time make a small pin of this for the students. U-boat sailors usually wore one on their hat.

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:42:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By mPisi:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mPisi:

They stick to pretty traditional individual projects for the new kids, like bird houses, but the advanced kids  make some nice tables, and cabinets, ect.      There is also a building trades class that builds sheds, and play houses for people in the community.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:30:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#16]
Guns,

View Quote

The really sad thing about the mines, is when kids ask what they are, and I show them a picture of what we are making, they all say......

"You mean like in Finding Nemo?"

Seriously, that's they only reference they have of them.   The whole generation says the same thing.  Sad.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:42:01 AM EDT
[#17]

The really sad thing about the mines, is when kids ask what they are, and I show them a picture of what we are making, they all say......

View Quote
No, like in that episode of Gilligan's Island.

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 12:10:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Update 9/15

Students started the conning tower today and finished up the ribbing on the bow section.

First the conning tower.  
The stencils:  base layer, mid deck and the shroud on top.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/654/20826475254_65e7301e6b_k.jpg

Here, he's laying out the placement of the 1x2s.  
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5686/20828059163_975fe45077_k.jpg

Here it is all cut out.  I'm shocked they didn't break off those little tabs.  We talked about the chance that they would never survive.  They did!
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/656/21422917936_5fdd0ea8b7_k.jpg

Getting ready for the base cut out.
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5746/20826432354_8f6b6f0455_k.jpg

My student using an interesting position to finish up the front stand.
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/703/21261333258_083aab4daa_k.jpg

And the ribbing , getting all finished up.  One stupid piece took them 4 tries to finally get it on there without breaking.  
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/670/21262273439_5068e5317e_k.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5621/20828016163_7cbc1eb8ea_k.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5699/20826432794_045f9e0b78_k.jpg

Of course, they are still working on the mines too.  After a couple coats of paper, they glued some twine around them to make the seam that is prevalent on the examples we are using.  Then another coat of paper over top.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5748/21261063430_d1b8b34d4a_k.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/701/21457652231_84964a2db9_k.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/676/21449154355_7e713cab9e_k.jpg

View Quote

Cool update Mr. Guns
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 1:15:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kar98k] [#19]

Originally Posted By Max_Power:

View All Quotes

no, like that big round thing in the old man's shed in Hot Fuzz

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By kar98k:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cun-LZvOTdw

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Following with much interest.....
Very cool, I did a whole history report back in the 70's on the U-boat war so this is really interesting to me.
I had an uncle in the Merchant Marine in the Atlantic during WW2, while never on a torpedoed ship several in different convoys he was in were.
I like that you are making sure to tie this all into a history lesson.

The kids are doing a great job, can't wait to see the finished project.
Encourage any of them if they get the chance to visit U-505 in Chicago, Type IX boat but very interesting, really cool museum as well.

Its going to be great.

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 2:03:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RaptorRage] [#22]

Seriously, that's they only reference they have of them.   The whole generation says the same thing.  Sad.
View All Quotes
Guns,

Have to give a history lesson on naval warfare and show them The Incredible Mr. Limpet.

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 2:36:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Update 9/16

Not a huge amount got done, but some important steps were taken.   I also hit my favorite lumber store.  They always want pictures when I go in and the manager is one of my former students.

Ok today's update:
This is really cool.    It's the design for the hanging anchors.  It clam shells around the main beam and will bolt together with a hole through the beam.  This is not the bolt we will use, just one to test.

Here they are putting together the conning tower.  Lots of predrilling to get this together without splitting.

And of course, not to dissapoint arfcom, work progressing on the mines in proper underwater gear.  Sorry, scuba gear is not very easy to come by in WY.  

First fitting of one skin section. We are still working out the bugs on this and how it will overlap itself.  We want to hide those seams, but accent them the same way.  We have a plan and tomorrow we should see how it starts to go.

Finally,  the conning tower sitting on the bow section.  Not the greatest picture, as it kind of disappears in the doorways.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Looking good!  Love the snorkel and fins.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#27]
How did I miss Das Therad until it hit 11 pages?!?!

Count this as a tag as I love these projects!
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Dilbert_556:
View Quote

I had to explain this whole thread to CarbineMom after I got to laughing at the fins

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:10:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pogo55] [#29]

View Quote
Did she know she was wearing that stuff for an arfcom pic or does she just think you're odd?

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:10:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Next year a zeppelin?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:28:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:05:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:22:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Things are coming along great! Can't wait to see more.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:54:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By guns762:  And of course, not to dissapoint arfcom, work progressing on the mines in proper underwater gear.  Sorry, scuba gear is not very easy to come by in WY.  

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/687/21289873340_b33c3cb52b_k.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/768/21290119638_9fc8f86d6b_k.jpg
View Quote

Outstanding!  (I always worry about people who take me seriously, however.)  

Tell her Texas A&M has a Marine Research program and she can do a lot more snorkeling.  And thank her for the laugh.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:26:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Pogo55:
Did she know she was wearing that stuff for an arfcom pic or does she just think you're odd?  
View All Quotes

Dude......

They ALL think I'm odd.

But, yes, she knew why we were taking the photo.  She thought it was funny.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:12:43 AM EDT
[#36]
I may have missed it in the last 11 pages, but how do you intend to mate the bow section with the stern section?
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 8:01:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By SkyCatII:
I may have missed it in the last 11 pages, but how do you intend to mate the bow section with the stern section?
View Quote

Both sections will have two hangers each.  We will hang the bow section, then raise the stern to the correct position to match up.

Once matched up we will put a few screws through the last frames on each section where they come together.  The skin will have, hopefully a couple patches for access to those frames.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 8:05:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Guns I have to give you credit. You are an exceptional teacher. You don't pick the typical art projects, but take on

these very involved projects. Not only are you creative in that, but also in dealing with your distractors down the hall.

As i look at the pics I also see teaching the students that when issues arise, as they always will, they can think their

way out and solve the problem. If you ever have the misfortune to visit NE NC dinner is on me.

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 8:13:09 AM EDT
[#39]

Dude......

They ALL think I'm odd.

View All Quotes

Dude......

They ALL think I'm odd.

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 8:31:13 AM EDT
[#40]

As i look at the pics I also see teaching the students that when issues arise, as they always will, they can think their way out and solve the problem. If you ever have the misfortune to visit NE NC dinner is on me.

View Quote

It's what I like most about these projects. Even though it causes me more stress, I enjoy not having all the answers and getting to work with the kids to brainstorm our way out of the problem.  

Often, it's the kids that come up with the most creative solution to whatever problem we are facing.   Sometimes, their answer is just a shortcut that might work, but is not the proper craftsmanship for our project.  It makes for a good lesson in doing things the right way and not cut corners in tacky way.

That lesson is probably one of the most important I can try to teach.  

And, thank you for the kind words.  I appreciate them.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 8:53:19 AM EDT
[#41]
What are you using for the panels?

Looks like card stock, but I can't really tell.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By dangerdan:

View Quote

It's drawing board.   We use it for pen and ink drawings, as well as colored pencils.

It's about the same thickness as cheaper mat boards.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:29:42 AM EDT
[#43]

Both sections will have two hangers each.  We will hang the bow section, then raise the stern to the correct position to match up.

Once matched up we will put a few screws through the last frames on each section where they come together.  The skin will have, hopefully a couple patches for access to those frames.
View All Quotes

Clearly this situation calls for GD's favorite; interlocking keymod sections on the opposing faces of the framework.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:46:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dangerdan] [#44]

It's drawing board.   We use it for pen and ink drawings, as well as colored pencils.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dangerdan:

Have you thought about using balsa wood?

Fill any seams or gaps with DAP spackle. You can also apply the DAP spackle over the wood to make it sand better and have a more-clean look, then use a scribe to make panel lines, then apply a thin layer of epoxy to seal it and sand the epoxy even.

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Ashraam:

Clearly this situation calls for GD's favorite; interlocking keymod sections on the opposing faces of the framework.  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ashraam:

Hmmmmmm

I like this idea.   We were talking about using something similar for the conning tower so it didn't have to be permanently attached, and we could work on the details in a smaller, more accessible environment.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:54:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Brohawk] [#46]
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Brohawk:

These kids may not realize it, but they are learning more than wood working and art skills.
View All Quotes

I enjoy not having all the answers and getting to work with the kids to brainstorm our way out of the problem.  

These kids may not realize it, but they are learning more than wood working and art skills.

That's the plan.  

Unfortunately, there are a few adults who don't seem to get this.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:18:07 AM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

No, it was that thing that got caught on the net in Flipper!
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#49]

That's the plan.  

View All Quotes

I enjoy not having all the answers and getting to work with the kids to brainstorm our way out of the problem.  

That's the plan.  

More than a few....sadly.

Good for you on actually teaching.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:01:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Interesting update.

Just did some measuring of our two halves, and it equals 29ft and some change; not the 28ft that it should be given our blue prints.  
Pretty sure I know how this happened.   Someone can't read a tape measure, and a teacher didn't double check.  

We also are about 1.03% wider too.   This I knew might happen, given the ribbing.    

I guess it's not that big of deal, we just grew roughly 1% all the way around, but we are going to need that entire display area.   At an angle coming down, and also diagonally, we should be good, but it might making finding beams in the ceiling in the right areas a little more challenging.  
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top