Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/23/2022 10:14:19 PM EDT
My wife wants to get a new SUV with 3rd row seating, and the middle row being captain seats.  We don't even have kids yet but when we do she wants a future proof vehicle.  Yeah, I know.  But with 2 large dogs and the possibility to have a kid or two she wants the room for it all.  

Are captain seats annoying to have with babies / toddlers?
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:17:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Bought a 21 Ford Expedition standard over the summer. 3 kids from 14 to 2. Captains chairs are very very nice. One car seat in the 3rd row and one in the captain seat leaves 2 open seats still.

Very nice vehicle. Highly recommend
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:19:08 PM EDT
[#2]
We did the same, no ragrets. In fact, we would not have a 3rd row vehicle without captains chairs in second row. Started with new babies 14 months apart. Both kids had their own captains chair.
Plenty of room for the kids, dags or even adults to get in back. Have/had 2 Expeditions and an Explorer.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:19:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Twin 12 year old boys that stand 5'10 at 160 + dog. 2018 Honda Pilot is very roomy.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:21:05 PM EDT
[#4]
No one ever listens, but I'll be the first of many to recommend an Odyssey or Sienna.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you dead set on an SUV?

Minivans are freakin' convenient man.  I don't care if I have to give up my man card.  They get better fuel economy, and even roomier, and you won't get door dings. Little kids don't care about swinging doors open carefully.

The new Sienna gets 36 MPG City/Highway.  That's insanity.

Toyota Sienna is the ULTIMATE people mover.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:28:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Depends how many kids you want to have. I currently have 5 all in car seats, so I’ve moved past all the normal options to a Nissan NV3500 but if I only had two or three kids I’d love to have a suv with captains chairs. However, the 3rd row is essentially useless even with captains chairs if the kids sitting back there can’t be trusted to buckle/unbuckle themselves. When we had 3 kids, I had an odyssey and removed one captains chair so I could access the back row easier.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:30:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No one ever listens, but I'll be the first of many to recommend an Odyssey or Sienna.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:33:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I like my Odyssey. 2nd row being flexible and comfy. Not to mention plenty of HP.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:34:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

She doesn't want to drive a mini van.  Me on the other hand... am all for it.  Those things are frickn sweet.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:35:07 PM EDT
[#10]
We have twins and a three row suburban with captain chairs.

With this set up we had the kids sit in the captains charis and my wife would sit in the third row (on longer trips) so she could ten to the twins "between" the captain chairs.  I even removed the side arm rest to make access easier.

Kids are 9 now.  Arm rests are back on.  Love the captain chairs.  

In my opinion captains chairs also allow easier access to the third row.

Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:35:29 PM EDT
[#11]
i have a new expedition, not the Max version and it has good space for 3rd row and all powered, the headrest have power drop down too
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:36:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Our experience - 3 kids, including a set of twins...

Bought a minivan the weekend after we found out we were having twins.  One of the first with dual remote power sliding doors (2000 Windstar).  Older daughter (3) could activate the remote so mom could load the twins in.  Captains chairs middle row.  Daughter just walked between the chairs to get to the third row.  Vehicle/seat height was perfect for 5' 2" wife to load twins into car seats.  SUV probably would have been higher.  Owned the Windstar for 13 years, then leased a T&C for another 3.  Also captains chairs.

Bought a Suburban when the kids were 5 and 7.  Middle row bench.  Daughter happily rolled over the bench to get to the third row.  Never used the seat retract/latch.  Had that vehicle until the kids were 13 and 15.

Bought another Suburban that same year, with captains chairs in the middle row.  Still own it.  Easier for passengers to move to the third row, plus you can sit in the middle of the third row and really stretch your legs.

Bottom line? Minivan really is best for when the kids are babies/toddlers.  Upgrade to the SUV as they get older.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:36:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Nope, way easier to get in and assist in buckling, or whatever with the kids in the back.  Father of four with an Arfcom approved minivan of failed male aspirations, with captains seats in the middle rather than a bench.

Apart from wanting 4WD because of the amount of snow, I would buy another minivan in an instant.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My wife wants to get a new SUV with 3rd row seating, and the middle row being captain seats.  We don't even have kids yet but when we do she wants a future proof vehicle.  Yeah, I know.  But with 2 large dogs and the possibility to have a kid or two she wants the room for it all.  

View Quote

Don't buy vehicles for needs you don't have.  Seriously.  Even after you have your first, you don't need a different vehicle.  That's crazy.

btdt
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:37:48 PM EDT
[#15]
No downside to captains chairs - long time Tahoe ownee
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.

Sliding doors are key with young kids.

Tons of room.

Current Odyssey does a decent job at being quick for what it is, can slide my wife’s around enough to scare the crap out of family.

Edit - my wife’s has a removable middle 2nd row that is a REAL seat, unlike the Sienna, so you can have 8 passengers if needed.

The Sienna’s version is a plywood plank.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Have a '18 Highlander. Captain seats in middle. 3rd row fold-outs.
No issues.
Would recommend.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:41:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Dad of twin toddlers here.

We bought a caravan before the boys were born. We got a screaming deal on a new grand caravan (20,500 otd) because it had the bench seat in the middle. Apparently nobody wants that.
My thought process was that the boys will be in car seats far longer than we will have this thing.
While that theory stands true, I forgot about on thing. The forward facing car seat uses the seat belt. The rear facing infant seats used the anchors.  Having the seat belt in use, blocks the person getting into the back seat.

So we can’t use the back row of seats.  It’s not a huge deal 99% of the time. 1% of the time?  It sucks.

Just something to think about.   Stow and go storage is nice.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is true.  Minivans are awesome.  Sliding doors are the master off all!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:43:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I have 3 kids and been down this road many times.

Have a 2005 Durango that's been with us since the beginning.  Bench seat second row but she's a big bitch with lots of space.

Had a 2016 Tahoe.  Great vehicle, had captain chairs,  and an abysmal 3rd row.  Worse than the child size seats due to solid axle was lack of cargo space...

We camp, hunt, and fish as a family so all our gear takes up a bit of space already.  Getting our luggage in on top of gear was like playing fucking Tetris.  You lose so much space with needing one of the 3rd row seats up.

After our last camping trip last fall I had had enough and we bought a new 2021 Yukon XL.  Same great features of our Tahoe, but now we have a giant cavern in the back even with both 3rd row seats up.

The switch to IRS really made a difference in the amount of leg room and space in the back. It's just overall feels much bigger back there.

Sure you could buy a mini van, but we go to quite a few places where there's no way a mini van would be able to access... plus the wife prefers a big SUV over a minivan.

If you're looking at the GM platform, just go big and get it over with.  I've never heard a complaint from a suburban or Yukon XL owner of having too much space,  but can't say the same for the tahoe line and I've experienced it myself.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:44:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

She doesn't want to drive a mini van.  Me on the other hand... am all for it.  Those things are frickn sweet.
View Quote

I made my wife load car seats into every vehicle because she didn’t want a minivan.  After trying to load car seats into every SUV out there, I had her try it in a minivan.  She gave up the stupid image thing and made a choice based on what works the best….a minivan
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:46:16 PM EDT
[#22]
2018 Expedition here. We actually chose the middle bench over the captains chairs. The access to the third row is super easy since the side seats flip forward, even with a car seat in them. Easier to flip the seat forward and climb behind than climb around a captains chair.

We have a car seat in the middle of the second row and drivers side second row. No climbing back to the third row to strap a kid in and still a free seat in the middle row with easy access to the third row on either the driver or passenger side.

Good article about it here:
https://thecarseatlady.com/vehicles/suv/ford-expedition/
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I like my Odyssey. 2nd row being flexible and comfy. Not to mention plenty of HP.
View Quote

My Honda Odyssey has more HP and the same factory-quoted 0-60 as the Porsche 944 Turbo i had as a young Lieutenant.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:48:33 PM EDT
[#24]
The wife and I went bench in the SUV.  She argued for captains so that the middle row kids would each get their own chair, they could use the middle as a pass through, and there would be less fighting.  I argued for bench because I wanted the most seating possible and wanted the cargo area flat when 3rd row and middle were down.  I won.

All that said, the car/booster seats make the middle of the middle bench pretty much useless unless the middle person is tiny.  Don’t expect to fit 2 adults and a car seat in the middle row comfortably.  I’m also in a loaner SUV right now with captains.  It’s convenient to keep the kids apart, but if you drop the 3rd row for cargo space, then the cargo tends to fly up the middle if you brake hard.

Each configuration has pluses and minuses.  Overall, I’d still go bench over captains.

I’d test drive both configurations and think really hard about what you really need.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:50:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I wouldn't hesitate to own a Sienna now if I was just getting around to procreation.

I had a Suburban when my boys were young.  Best family vehicle ever.  Wife, kids, dag, in-laws onboard with all of the associated shit in the massive cargo area behind the third row.  And a boat in tow.

Or me and the boys and camping/shooting gear and 4WD.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:50:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Car seats go in the captains seats in my suburban. We end up using all the space in the suburban too. Comes in very handy plus we have a 3/4 ton so it’s used to haul an camper and farm equipment & tractor ?? & such.

Also safer I would image in most collisions should it happen.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:52:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Our best kid hauler was the ‘04 Odyssey.  Wife missed it bad when we traded it in on the Pilot in ‘13.  Gave that one to our daughter and bought a ‘21 Pilot.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:56:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

We went with the bench sest all the way across in the second row.

Wife claims it's better this way...IDK.

2015 Yukon XL Denali.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 10:59:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I wouldn't hesitate to own a Sienna now if I was just getting around to procreation.

I had a Suburban when my boys were young.  Best family vehicle ever.  Wife, kids, dag, in-laws onboard with all of the associated shit in the massive cargo area behind the third row.  And a boat in tow.

Or me and the boys and camping/shooting gear and 4WD.
View Quote

Minivans don't tow.

arf loves minivans lately.  Having 1 kid, maybe, at some pont?  "Dude, buy a minivan.  It's not gay."
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 11:02:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Aside from the folks mentioning a minivan, which really is the ultimate people mover, you should consider that some manufacturers do not give every seat latch anchors or anchors behind the seat for when the car seat is forward facing. All the manufacturers access the 3rd row slightly differently also.  What works for one vehicle won’t necessarily work for another.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 11:03:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Kia Sorento
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 11:05:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I made my wife load car seats into every vehicle because she didn't want a minivan.  After trying to load car seats into every SUV out there, I had her try it in a minivan.  She gave up the stupid image thing and made a choice based on what works the best.a minivan
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I made my wife load car seats into every vehicle because she didn't want a minivan.  After trying to load car seats into every SUV out there, I had her try it in a minivan.  She gave up the stupid image thing and made a choice based on what works the best.a minivan
Have them do this and throw a stroller in the back. The hight of a suv and short women don't go well together with large baby strollers.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 11:07:52 PM EDT
[#33]
OP - Chevy Tahoe man, f-ing best vehicle I have ever owned. Wish I had one when I had little kids - we had a POS Mercury Mountaineer. Chevy is such a better vehicle it’s amazing. Mine is a ‘19 but the new Z71 Tahoe are what I would get if you can afford it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 11:09:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

No the captain seats are not annoying.  Sounds like she needs a minivan.  We are on are 3rd Chrysler minivan and would not change a thing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 11:11:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Had a BMX X5 M edition with the optional third row.  Never again.

Now we have a Tesla X with middle row captain seats and third row.  Very convenient.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 11:15:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Minivan with second row captain chairs. Pull the third row bench and you have massive amounts of space.  Very easy to secure baby seats etc with the sliding door access. Congrats on your future brood. Get a SUV when the kids are older and more self sufficient. Nobody expects a minivan to be packing ARs. Ultimate gray man vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 11:18:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Minivans don't tow.

arf loves minivans lately.  Having 1 kid, maybe, at some pont?  "Dude, buy a minivan.  It's not gay."
View Quote

I know minivans don't tow like a full size SUV.

But for the average family?  A Sienna is just about perfect.  I wouldn't be opposed to a Sienna/Suburban household if the lady wanted a minivan.  Get both.

Attachment Attached File

That right there is red-blooded American parenting nirvana.

Link Posted: 2/23/2022 11:22:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Rent one of each for a weekend day and hire some kids to be test subjects.  Also have a baby seat.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 11:23:14 PM EDT
[#39]
My wife drives a ‘21 Tahoe Premier (it’s her 3rd Tahoe since we had kids).  She loves the space, 4WD for the winter months and the captains chairs are excellent for kids.

Men who brag about minivans aren’t men—they are cucks.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 11:31:58 PM EDT
[#40]
All you need.

Link Posted: 2/23/2022 11:34:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Had a BMX X5 M edition with the optional third row.  Never again.

Now we have a Tesla X with middle row captain seats and third row.  Very convenient.
View Quote

I have an LR4 with the third row. I have never even folded the second row to get to the third, tried once and it doesn't magically fold and flip so I shrugged and moved on. Only 1 kid and 3 dogs, so only need an "emergency" sized 3rd row anyway.

R350 (gas or diesel) with 2rd row captain chairs would be perfect, I'd own one in a heartbeat. They've really crashed in price, and it's basically just a GL slammed to the ground. Benz pricing for maintenance and repairs through. You could even get them with captain chairs and second center console, but then you're back to flipping seats for third row access.

Link Posted: 2/23/2022 11:34:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Had an Explorer bench seat in back. I was tempted to buy the drivers side rear seat throw out the bench. It's set up from the factory for it. If you want comfortable third row seats get the Explorer. The only problem is they are attached to the Explorer. The sun got on my nerves with terrible stereo and numerous squeaks and different noises. Sold on Craigslist for as much as I could for RX 350. So much better in every way except fuel mileage. Can't keep foot off the accelerator. Safety features are amazing and kept me alive so far.
Wife's GX 460 has captains chairs and we both really like them. Kids love them and heated. Drove her car on vacation and then bought my 350 as soon as I could sell the Explorer. Much happier. Life is too short to drive a crappy car. Dave Ramsey is a millionaire trying to convince people to save all their lives and not living just getting by. They don't enjoy 40 years and then are supposed to live their elderly lives in great conditions.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 11:42:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Convinced the wife to get a Sienna when we had our 2nd kid....was the best decision ever.

I'm going to be frank, and slightly judgemental....if you want to save about 5+ MPG's and have more room to travel, get an Odyssey touring or Sienna.

If you want a gas hog, and live by this ridiculous notion of a "soccer mom" vehicle, then buy your SUV, you will be missing out severely.

Most SUV 3rd row seats suck and there's a small few that are remotely comfortable, the Highlander is one that is good.

We LOVED our Sienna, easiest ingress/egress with sliding doors for loading infants/ young kids, (think of that in parking lots)has captains chairs, TONS of cargo and travel comfort

I'll tell ya straight up your NUTS to not consider a Sienna or Odyssey.

Take one for a test drive.

I won't even recommend a SUV because IMO it's a poor choice given the competition.

This is coming from a former van owner and Suburban owner.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 11:58:24 PM EDT
[#44]
If you NEED the third row on a regular basis, it’s time for a minivan.

Unless you need to tow. Then get an Expedition.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 12:05:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My wife drives a ‘21 Tahoe Premier (it’s her 3rd Tahoe since we had kids).  She loves the space, 4WD for the winter months and the captains chairs are excellent for kids.

Men who brag about minivans aren’t men—they are cucks.
View Quote

I’d argue men that are so weak and insecure that they let shape of the metal and plastic surrounding them amplify their insecurity are cucks

Mini van is superior traveling machine to Tahoe by almost every measure.  even more so when kids are involved.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 12:05:26 AM EDT
[#46]
It’s much easier with 2nd row chairs rather than a bench seat regardless of the vehicle.

We had an Excursion and Expedition both with 2nd row buckets/captains makes and it made using the 3 row easier.

Miss the diesel, load it up, hook up the boat and set the cruise and not slow down until the wife had to pee.

We have also rented minivans and they were very useable.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 12:37:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Don't buy vehicles for needs you don't have.  Seriously.  Even after you have your first, you don't need a different vehicle.  That's crazy.

btdt
View Quote

My wife’s car got totaled from t-boning a car that didn’t see us

Might as well buy something with the cash that’ll be future proof
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 12:52:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna is what you seek.  No SUV can compare in terms of comfort, space, and value.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 1:07:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Are you dead set on an SUV?

Minivans are freakin' convenient man.  I don't care if I have to give up my man card.  They get better fuel economy, and even roomier, and you won't get door dings. Little kids don't care about swinging doors open carefully.

The new Sienna gets 36 MPG City/Highway.  That's insanity.

Toyota Sienna is the ULTIMATE people mover.
View Quote

Agree on this one.  Depending on how long you plan to keep the car, a minivan should be considered.

In my case, it's a Honda Odyssey.  The third row can be folded and the two middle-row captain seats can be removed, giving a massive cargo space.  When we were remodeling the house we fit everything there, from hardwood floor boxes, travertine tiles crates and even a large bathtub.

Before we had our son, we would put our bikes and luggage in that space for long road trips and still have room for a lot more.

After our son grew up, grappa and grandma sit on the captain sits and he in the backseat.  And there's still plenty space for the dog.

Our Odyssey has close to 200,000 miles and still drives very well. It handles really close to a car (acceleration, cornering, etc.) and it's engine is very responsive.

I remember the Sienna had a 4WD option.  Not sure Honda also did one.

Link Posted: 2/24/2022 1:15:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have them in my Honda minivan and they’re awesome.  Captain’s chairs keep them from hitting each other until they’re big and they usually stop by then.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top