Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:09:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gotta knock out the infection before they can pull it. Takes a few days, and good antibiotics. Otherwise, that infection gets into the blood, which is No Fun At All.
View Quote
That's a very common misconception.  The absolute best thing you can do is have the tooth pulled ASAP.  It allows the infection to drain.  The drawback is the acidic nature of the infection tends to counteract/neutralize the anesthetic.  So it can be harder to get a patient fully numb.  In most cases extra anesthetic is sufficient.

Alot of dentists will tell patients they need to get the infection down before pulling it just to avoid the hassle of what I mentioned above.  It is not unsafe however.

Also if it was your first molar then yes if you have it pulled an implant would be best.  I never recommend a second molar implant really (which #15 is a second molar).  If a patient wants it I will refer out for the implant to be placed because of the difficulty in placement of second molar implants.  Losing a second molar really doesn't affect your chewing capacity if you have all your other molars and premolars in front of it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Pretty sure that is what mine was. Crown over root canal. Pretty common to have issues with these later.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can you have a tooth pulled that has already had a root canal??

I keep seeing it suggested, but I did not think that was possible.   I thought they had already drilled out everything they could, or should have...
Pretty sure that is what mine was. Crown over root canal. Pretty common to have issues with these later.
Thats what i have currently. They're going to try and drill the top of the crown in stead of removing it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Gotta knock out the infection before they can pull it. Takes a few days, and good antibiotics. Otherwise, that infection gets into the blood, which is No Fun At All.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have it pulled and be done with it.
I had one about a month ago......started antibiotics but 3 days later the oral surgeon took it out....... some of the worst pain I have ever had......took 8 shots to numb it, and one was in the roof of my mouth
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:16:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Is it safe?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:19:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Had one that was starting to get into the bone.
Had to wait almost a week and when it was pulled I was not numb but hurt a damned sight less than the pressure and pain.  I damned near kissed the Dr. was soon as it was out and did not mind spitting that nasty shit out on the way home.

Rupturing my gallbladder and going septic while my kidneys were screaming... nothing on that abscess.

Honestly the only time I came close to considering suck starting a shotgun to end the pain.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Ouch!!  Been there, got the t-shirt. I’d ha e a serious talk with the dentist about an implant or two in your case. Mine was replaced and if your bone structure can support it, I would look into it.

Good luck, hope you feel better soon.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:25:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
800mg of ibuprofen might knock it down, a little.  You know it's bad when they go to numb it to work on, and they reach their max and it still hurts...
View Quote
This. Make sure it’s name brand Advil Liqui-Gel. Generic did nothing for me. This knocked out intractable pain completely
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This. Make sure it’s name brand Advil Liqui-Gel. Generic did nothing for me. This knocked out intractable pain completely
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
800mg of ibuprofen might knock it down, a little.  You know it's bad when they go to numb it to work on, and they reach their max and it still hurts...
I have regular Motrin that's seems to be holding it own but i'm taking like 4 at a time to dull it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:30:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Went through it about 3 weeks ago.
Went to dentist on a Saturday and was given antibiotics and some sort of pain killer.
By Monday my cheek was so swelled that it was closing my eye.
Got in to the dentist first thing Tuesday morning and she said the tooth had to come out RFN or they were going to hospitalize me and put me on an IV cocktail.

I opted for the tooth to come out.
The freezing did not work.
She had to slice my gum open to drain off the puss from the infection.

I swear I came a foot off the chair when she finally got it out, never had such a painful experience.

I feel your pain OP, get it taken care of NOW.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Went to dentist on a Saturday and was given antibiotics and some sort of pain killer.
Got in to the dentist first thing Tuesday morning and she said the tooth had to come out RFN or they were going to hospitalize me and put me on an IV cocktail.

I swear I came a foot off the chair when she finally got it out, never had such a painful experience.

View Quote
I'm scheduled for Thursday the 20th is the soonest the can get me in. Doc said the antibiotics should knock out the infection and most of the pain by tomorrow. Told me to call if it gets any worse, so we'll see.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm right there with you.

4 inch incision to remove a wisdom tooth embedded in the jaw bone at 41....

They had a hell of a time getting it out....I started to wake up and they had to put me under again....doc had to carry me to the damn car....poor wife had to drive me home like that and get the neighbors to help carry me in.... I woke up 8 hours later.....

Yawned and then a bone crunshing SNAP

Was told for 2 weeks it was nothing normal (sending tons of pics of something in the incision)

Finally got them to take me in and examine hands on....was my damn JAW BONE.

Oh its your JAW!.....in they go to recontour it rough up the part that SNAPPED and put in a collagen implant for it to regrow into....

So here I sit 3 weeks later STILL eating Percocet and Tramdol every 6 hours sigh.

Happened yesterday I look like a damn chipmonk.

Explains why the excruciating pain eating ANYTHING at all right through the meds.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:52:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Here's a little country temp fix for you.

Get yourself a shot of whatever hard liquor you have available. Don't drink it...not yet anyway.

Get it in your mouth and hold it over the tooth. Tilt your head or whatever to make sure the tooth and the gum around it is fully saturated with the liquor. It's going to burn. A lot. Keep it there until the nerve deadens, might take a minute or so.

Then drink or spit out the alcohol.

That'll kill the sensation for a few hours at a time. Repeat as needed.

This plus a lortab or some other sort of happy pill is the key to surviving until they can fix it or the antibiotics kick in and stomp out the infection.
View Quote
Mixing alcohol and opioids is
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's a little country temp fix for you.

Get yourself a shot of whatever hard liquor you have available. Don't drink it...not yet anyway.

Get it in your mouth and hold it over the tooth. Tilt your head or whatever to make sure the tooth and the gum around it is fully saturated with the liquor. It's going to burn. A lot. Keep it there until the nerve deadens, might take a minute or so.

Then drink or spit out the alcohol.

That'll kill the sensation for a few hours at a time. Repeat as needed.

This plus a lortab or some other sort of happy pill is the key to surviving until they can fix it or the antibiotics kick in and stomp out the infection.
When my teeth were fucked, I sure as shit mixed them.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Odd that the health care people get wrapped around the axle about people taking opioids for pain, yet they don't give a shit if you fry your liver and burn holes in your digestive system by taking mega amounts of ibuprofen.  They can show via an x-ray that you have an abscessed tooth, just as an x-ray shows a broken bone.  I don't understand why the doctor who can prove there is a legitimate medical reason to prescribe pain meds for the tooth won't do so.  I understand why the doc wouldn't prescribe meds before there is proof of a legitimate medical issue that is known to cause pain.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:19:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Funny how all the painful stuff kind of blurs in life, except the tooth abcess. Mine was an old filling that got a cavity going under it. I remember everything about everything that was going on for the 3 days I endured the worst part of it. I finally found a dentist who had no waiting, literally a tiny 1 room office with 1 chair, above a storefront in Wahiawa, Hawaii. Entrance stairwell was in the back alley. Sketchy? Didn't care! I was tired of feeling every change of atmospheric pressure, every heartbeat, even every thought, like a hot drillbit slowly turning in my jaw.

Our pre-procedure conversation consisted of me pointing and saying "Pull it" and him pointing to the chair.

He asked if I wanted it afterwards, I took it and smashed that hateful thing with a hammer.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#18]
BTDT with a cracked tooth.  I begged, and I mean, begged for the doc to take the fucker out.  Worst pain ever.

I took a picture of the bastard to remember him by.

Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have regular Motrin that's seems to be holding it own but i'm taking like 4 at a time to dull it.
View Quote
Liqui-Gel is the crack cocaine of pain relief
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have it pulled and be done with it.
A tooth infection can kill you very quickly. I had a fri nd die at 27 years old because of a tooth infection. I saw him a day or two before he went to the hospital and he looked like he was in pain, but not dying. 2-3 days later I saw him in the hospital and he looked like an AIDS patient on his last leg, 2 days later he passed. Never knew a tooth infection could kill you like that before seeing my friend die. Apparently there is an artery or major vein that travels in your jaw and can send an infection straight into your heart and blood.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:57:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Can you have a tooth pulled that has already had a root canal??

I keep seeing it suggested, but I did not think that was possible.   I thought they had already drilled out everything they could, or should have...
View Quote
Yes.  I had one pulled earlier this year that had a root canal done on it 10 years ago.

The only other pain i've had that is the same or worse as tooth pain is gall bladder pain.  Broken bones hurt a lot less than either of those....
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 2:02:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

A tooth infection can kill you very quickly. I had a fri nd die at 27 years old because of a tooth infection. I saw him a day or two before he went to the hospital and he looked like he was in pain, but not dying. 2-3 days later I saw him in the hospital and he looked like an AIDS patient on his last leg, 2 days later he passed. Never knew a tooth infection could kill you like that before seeing my friend die. Apparently there is an artery or major vein that travels in your jaw and can send an infection straight into your heart and blood.
View Quote
Yep.

Guy I worked with was on a pacemaker in his late 20s because of it. Infected tooth. Infection got into the bloodstream and infected his heart. 3 heart surgeries and a pacemaker, and the circulation to his extremities (especially his feet) sucks.

Had not gone to a dentist in 14+ years. Had an abscessed tooth from an impacted wisdom tooth. Doc gave me antibiotics. 3 days later, the swelling continued to grow and the side of my face swelled out like a chipmunk storing nuts for the winter. Doc said of the swelling starts to affect throat/breathing, go to the ER ASAP.

Ended up in the ER with intravenous Clindamycin, which knocked it down quick (thankfully). Pain absolutely sucked. I've had fractured bones that I wasn't aware of until friends/family made me go get the swelling checked out (where X-rays revealed a fracture). The pain from an infected tooth? Don't want that again.

I'm now back to regular dental checkups, and take a lot more care brushing and flossing.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 4:01:11 PM EDT
[#23]
It really wasn’t super swollen this morning but now it sure is. The pain seems more manageable but the swelling is getting worse.....
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 4:17:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 4:21:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Holy fuck, I had one a few years ago and I BEGGED them to yank a tooth, any tooth.

It was a root canal where my dentist had apparently missed a root, and fifteen years later it abscessed. I went from minor pain to FUCKING 11 In two hours flat.

When they found the problem and pulled the cap, they drilled a hole which instantly relieved the pressure. Omfg, that was the most incredible relief I’ve ever felt.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 4:27:18 PM EDT
[#27]
vanilla extract or a warm tea bag pressed against your gum will temporarily dull the pain.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Crush an aspirin...

Take crushed aspiring and ignoring the pain put as much in the painful tooth..

It will hurt... you will get over it... and you will live...

Do again in a few hours if needed...
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Clove oil is the best thing I have ever found for tooth pain. Just keep it off your lips
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Try clove oil.

Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:03:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Crush an aspirin...

View Quote
Like put it on top?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Like put it on top?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crush an aspirin...

Like put it on top?
I would smash up a bunch of painkillers and mix it with a shot of whiskey... and swoosh it around the tooth.

Then swallow it once the pain reduced a bit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm scheduled for Thursday the 20th is the soonest the can get me in. Doc said the antibiotics should knock out the infection and most of the pain by tomorrow. Told me to call if it gets any worse, so we'll see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's way too long for an urgent case in my opinion.  I'd start calling around for a dentist that can see you sooner.  I've seen urgent care dental offices here and there similar to the doc in a box offices, is there one near to you or takes your insurance?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:15:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That's way too long for an urgent case in my opinion.  I'd start calling around for a dentist that can see you sooner.  I've seen urgent care dental offices here and there similar to the doc in a box offices, is there one near to you or takes your insurance?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What insurance? Lol I don’t have dental so this is a cash deal. Told me it’s $1,100.

If the pain and swelling aren’t better by Friday I’m going to call and tell him it needs to be done now
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Holy fuck, I had one a few years ago and I BEGGED them to yank a tooth, any tooth.

It was a root canal where my dentist had apparently missed a root, and fifteen years later it abscessed. I went from minor pain to FUCKING 11 In two hours flat.

When they found the problem and pulled the cap, they drilled a hole which instantly relieved the pressure. Omfg, that was the most incredible relief I’ve ever felt.
View Quote
Had a buddy crack his filling at work, he went home. A nap and a few hours later called 911 because his eye was swollen shut and it was pressing against his airway.  Looked like he was smuggling a watermelon.
FD/paramedics chastised him for calling 911 and refused to transport him.
He somehow made it to the out of network hospital before passing out in the entryway.  He woke up as they were wheeling him out of recovery after placing drainage tubes through his cheek.

He was there for 3 days before they transported him to a network hospital because he was so critical due to sepsis.

FD ended up getting it broke off in their ass for refusing transport and covered his out of network cost in full.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Fuck that noise.  You need to find a new dentist.  Seriously.

It takes me 3+ months to get in for a simple cleaning with my dentist.  But when I called and told them how much pain I was in, she made room for me THAT day.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What insurance? Lol I don’t have dental so this is a cash deal. Told me it’s $1,100.

If the pain and swelling aren’t better by Friday I’m going to call and tell him it needs to be done now
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I were you I'd do it sooner than that, if you have it done on a Friday and something goes wrong over the weekend you'll be in a jam until at least Tuesday or Wednesday at the earliest.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Fish223 is an oral surgeon (look at his avatar) and in NY.  He’s an awesome guy too!
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Like put it on top?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crush an aspirin...

Like put it on top?
The aspirin trick works for cavities. Doesn't do squat for an abscess where there's no opening.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 6:43:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The aspirin trick works for cavities. Doesn't do squat for an abscess where there's no opening.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Crush an aspirin...

Like put it on top?
It helps the swelling area feel a bit better. Not the inside pain until it's in your blood... but it's better than nothing.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#43]
long as that fucker isnt cracked like mine was. root canal a year ago. pulled a couple weeks back. over 3 or 4 days i had popped 3-4000 mg of motrin. it did help some.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 7:29:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 7:40:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Long Island, if that helps.
I barter for ammo, too

Tooth pain is no joke, but in reality, it is very rare for a tooth abscess to get to life threatening.  You usually have to ignore a lot of stuff to get to that point, or have some other underlying issue, like poorly controlled beetus, or some serious immune system deficiency.

Available for questions......
View Quote
Thanks brother I’m in WNY. Wish I was closer I would buy you a new gun for the help.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 12:03:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Is it safe?

ETA~ beat like a red headed stepchild
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 8:03:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Clindamycin works better for me than amoxicillin. But the biggest helper is a methylprednisolone pack. It's like a turbocharger for the antibiotics.

That along with some Toradol for pain and inflammation.
View Quote
Bingo .
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 8:05:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That's a very common misconception.  The absolute best thing you can do is have the tooth pulled ASAP.  It allows the infection to drain.  The drawback is the acidic nature of the infection tends to counteract/neutralize the anesthetic.  So it can be harder to get a patient fully numb.  In most cases extra anesthetic is sufficient.

Alot of dentists will tell patients they need to get the infection down before pulling it just to avoid the hassle of what I mentioned above.  It is not unsafe however.

Also if it was your first molar then yes if you have it pulled an implant would be best.  I never recommend a second molar implant really (which #15 is a second molar).  If a patient wants it I will refer out for the implant to be placed because of the difficulty in placement of second molar implants.  Losing a second molar really doesn't affect your chewing capacity if you have all your other molars and premolars in front of it.
View Quote
Bingo. Again.

My work, on this thread, is already done.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
ANY infection can result in sepsis which is often fatal.   A number of people die every year from infections of dental origin.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 8:15:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Bingo .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Clindamycin works better for me than amoxicillin. But the biggest helper is a methylprednisolone pack. It's like a turbocharger for the antibiotics.

That along with some Toradol for pain and inflammation.
Bingo .
How is suppressing your immune response during an infection a good idea?  Serious question.   Cites?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top