BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 42
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:16:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kingdead:

I'd feel different if the father did nothing and left his guns unattended. I feel extremely differently if he even had one iota of doubt and then he went and got his kid an AR15 that so many school and mosque shooters fetishize over. Be a fucking parent and be involved in what your kid is doing and who he is hanging out with. Or you know let him be a school shooter and ruin a bunch of other people's lives.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wyomingnick:
Originally Posted By TheOTHERmaninblack:
Originally Posted By macpherson:

So letting a teenage kid have access to firearms is grounds for jail time, or being given a firearm as a gift is a jailable offense?  Because the kid was accused of making a threatening internet post that was not proven, and the kid denied and no charges were filed?  Because it sounds like you all think someone should lose their 2A and parental rights if they are even accused of something without any proof or due process.

Some of you all are using so much hindsight your heads have gone up your asses

Its amazing how even arfcom is right on board with the Reddit liberal trash when it comes to stuff like this.  Now it's not bad enough that the kids do it, burn their parents too.   This is what the anti's are going to use now.  It's going to become SOP that anyone connected to a mass shooter is going to become the scapegoat even if they had no control or no way of knowing or stopping it.  It'll be used as another way to ban and take away guns and it will slide further from there.    And apparently plenty of people even here are just fine with it
Velcompt to Neu ARFcom, citizen.
Nobody in this thread said teenage kids having access to firearms or giving guns as gifts should be a crime. They are saying you shouldn't give a gun to anyone that is suspect of being violent or deranged. How many times has the FBI come to your house over complaints of your kid? I'm gonna guess this is not a common occurrence and should be alarm bells for any father.

What are the odds that the kid didn't make any threats and then 12 months later is a school shooter?
SO went to his house, not FBI. I've had to field numerous complaints over a couple of my kids acting out, although, given where I live and the nature of the incidents, I only dealt with the schools and was able to head it off before LEO got involved. Younger son thought it was funny to bite people well into junior high, and mom thought it was hilarious, so she encouraged it. Just as an example.

Just to be clear, all of my guns are locked up. 2 of the kids had the combination, 2 didn't. All 4 are grown now, youngest son is still not right. Also a Bernie bro, but I repeat myself.

I've also had numerous interactions with CPS. Because my ex is BPD. It took me YEARS to clear my name of the bullshit she accused me of, and CPS lapped that shit up like gravy, lemme tell you! Every word she said was believed without doubt, while any witnesses I provided were shut out. I still expect her to make a call if Red Flag laws ever go national. And she wasn't even a meth head, just broken.

And yet, half of this thread is "the father is criminally responsible," based on ONE contact with local SO. I stand by my prior post. If it turns out the dad knew, I'll reevaluate. But until then, I'm withholding judgement.
As a father my first thought wouldn't be "Fuck the FBI they are all just leftists hacks against Trump. I'm gonna trust my son 100% and not investigate further".

When we got through the interrogation, I would:

1) Lock up all guns or take them out of the house.
2) Take away all computer and cellphone access from the child.
3) Review the history of the computer. See if he was using discord often. See if he was using VPNs. Try to see if there was ANY possibility that the FBI wasn't wrong.
4) Take the kid to a psychiatrist / therapist.

I most definitely would not take a sovereign citizen, fuck the FBI and law enforcement, everything I don't like is WOKE! and buy my son an AR15. I'd actually be a real dad to him and not let him fuck up his own life and many others. Again I don't know how I feel about codifying laws to go after parents, but parents should try to give a fuck about raising their kids.

ETA: Sorry to hear about your troubles I am sure that is infuriating.

While I largely agree with you, I don't think that having an error in judgment with no ill intent should result in 180 years in prison. He may have honestly thought the kid was fine, and sometimes LE does make false or exaggerated accusations. He clearly screwed up but the throw the book at him attitude is excessive. He isn't the shooter, he simply made a poor judgment call. Similar could happen to anyone. It could have been about a car, pills or a computer instead of a gun. If it was something else his parenting judgment screwed up on, he wouldn't face near as many problems.

Crumbleys's got 10-15 years. They'll probably do half of it. That seems a more reasonable approach then the fact this dad has a very real chance spending life in prison.

I'd feel different if the father did nothing and left his guns unattended. I feel extremely differently if he even had one iota of doubt and then he went and got his kid an AR15 that so many school and mosque shooters fetishize over. Be a fucking parent and be involved in what your kid is doing and who he is hanging out with. Or you know let him be a school shooter and ruin a bunch of other people's lives.

So, you know he didn't have one iota of doubt? Where do you buy your spy gear? Do they have sales? Are there coupons?

Your statement about the AR15 is straight out of DU, so I'mma leave it on its own merits.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:17:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Unfortunately we can't read his brain and know what doubt he may or may not have had.

It does appear some consequences are probably reasonable. I don't think that means 180 yrs though. Similar to Crumbley's is probably reasonable. That is still a very severe consequence.

I am also concerned about the precedent. I won't be surprised when these same type of charges are used against parents that didn't have any reason to think their kid was going to get postal.
View Quote
I don't know that I have a firm stance on how this is handled legally. I also wouldn't be sad if it was beyond a shadow of a doubt this dad knowing his kid made these threats and still armed his kid, if one of the parent sought their own justice. I guess I wish people took parenting more seriously.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:18:33 PM EDT
[#3]
This would make a lot of sense if his kid didnt post under a pseudonym of "Lanza" and threatened to be a school shooter. Maybe I'm way out of line.
View All Quotes
That used to be a part of the right of passage for a boy's first kill, going back a good long time. At least it doesn't look like they ate the liver raw. That used to be a thing, too.

Maybe dad wasn't as comfortable with his son being gay as he lets on, and was trying to 'man him up' with stuff like that.
This would make a lot of sense if his kid didnt post under a pseudonym of "Lanza" and threatened to be a school shooter. Maybe I'm way out of line.
Remember, the Lanza bit was disguised inside a long name written in Cyrillic. How much Cyrillic do you know?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:19:24 PM EDT
[#4]

So, you know he didn't have one iota of doubt? Where do you buy your spy gear? Do they have sales? Are there coupons?

Your statement about the AR15 is straight out of DU, so I'mma leave it on its own merits.
View Quote
You don't think a kid who admired Lanza wouldn't also admire the rifle he used.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:19:46 PM EDT
[#5]

I can understand this. It's also sad for the ones that suffer through shit parents and bad situations.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:

Meh.   Having had to deal with similar calls over the years Id have to see what was actually said and I'll default to the SO saying there wasnt any PC for an arrest when they did the interview at this point.   When it comes to threats of school shooters agencies tend to be on the overzealous side of things when it comes to responses.
What are the odds the FBI being 100% wrong with Colt Gray? Did they randomly find a kid who had nothing to do with nothing and then became the very thing they were investigating in less than 1 year?

Either way as Colt's dad, my spidey senses would have been tingling. I would have kept the kid on an extremely short leash until I was convinced he wasn't the killer he would turn out to be.
Throw enough shit at the wall?
So now you know where my snarky comments come from about distrusting the FBI.

We all like to post the meme "say the line. He was on our radar", but now we want to discredit all FBI claims. Which is it, was he on their radar or were they throwing shit at the wall?

How many kids at this school did the FBI tip off local LEO for being a potential threat vs how many became a school shooter? I'll bet my account it was Colt Gray and Colt Gray only at this school this year, and he was the only shooter.
What I was saying was that we all hear about the kids they contact who go on to do something, but not the hundreds or thousands they contact who don't.

I can understand this. It's also sad for the ones that suffer through shit parents and bad situations.

On this we can agree.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:21:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Remember, the Lanza bit was disguised inside a long name written in Cyrillic. How much Cyrillic do you know?
View Quote
How much Cryillic does a 14yo boy know? So many coincidences. On FBI radar, Lanza in user name, school shooter... at what point do we stop the conspiracy BS and say this was entirely predictable by the family?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:21:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know that I have a firm stance on how this is handled legally. I also wouldn't be sad if it was beyond a shadow of a doubt this dad knowing his kid made these threats and still armed his kid, if one of the parent sought their own justice. I guess I wish people took parenting more seriously.
View All Quotes

Unfortunately we can't read his brain and know what doubt he may or may not have had.

It does appear some consequences are probably reasonable. I don't think that means 180 yrs though. Similar to Crumbley's is probably reasonable. That is still a very severe consequence.

I am also concerned about the precedent. I won't be surprised when these same type of charges are used against parents that didn't have any reason to think their kid was going to get postal.
This would certainly change my opinion. At this moment, however, we don't know.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:24:28 PM EDT
[#8]
View All Quotes

We don't yet know that the dad knew the kid admired Lanza. And, if you're going to tar the AR15 with that brush, don't leave out the possibly tens off thousands of other  kids who want one.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:24:37 PM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes

I agree with that.

Legally it is a fairly complicated and tough issue.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:27:12 PM EDT
[#10]
That used to be a part of the right of passage for a boy's first kill, going back a good long time. At least it doesn't look like they ate the liver raw. That used to be a thing, too.

Maybe dad wasn't as comfortable with his son being gay as he lets on, and was trying to 'man him up' with stuff like that.
View Quote

Never heard of that shit in GA.  Sounds like something the Yankees would do.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:34:56 PM EDT
[#11]
How much Cryillic does a 14yo boy know? So many coincidences. On FBI radar, Lanza in user name, school shooter... at what point do we stop the conspiracy BS and say this was entirely predictable by the family?
View All Quotes
You're reaching too hard. This kid obviously knew enough to create a user name in cyrillic with the first letters of each word spelling out LANZA. That's not a wild hairy-assed guess, because he did it.

You're reaching for a connection between what the kid knew, what the FBI knew, and what the father knew. And you ain't making it.

In my old D&D DMing days, we had a saying covering this. Player knowledge vs Character knowledge. The seasoned campaigner sitting behind his die roller and $200 worth of dice knew that the wet spot on the dungeon floor was obviously some sort of powerful slime, but did the level 1 warrior he was playing?

In the literary world, it can be stated as reader knowledge vs character knowledge. As the reader, you will usually know way more about what's going on in the story than a given character. They only know what they know.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:36:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:

Can neither confirm nor deny.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:39:05 PM EDT
[#13]

I agree with that.

Legally it is a fairly complicated and tough issue.
View Quote
Fully agree. I'm talking more to the failure of their parent to help their child.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:50:35 PM EDT
[#14]
https://www.atlantanewsfirst.com/2024/09/06/several-teens-arrested-school-threats-across-north-georgia/

Several teenagers have been arrested across metro Atlanta and north Georgia for making threats to schools just days after a deadly shooting at a Barrow County high school.

On Wednesday, a 15-year-old boy was arrested in Jackson County after police said he made statements about the Apalachee High shooting and was “planning on finishing the job to shoot another school in Jackson County.” He was taken to the regional youth detention center in Gainesville.
On Thursday — just a day after the school shooting — Gainesville police said a 14-year-old faces charges of terroristic threats and disruption of the operation of a public school. The teen is being held in a regional youth detention center.
A 12-year-old boy in Athens was charged with terroristic threats after threats were made on social media. Police said posts included images of firearms and the names of schools in Clarke County. He was detained by the Department of Juvenile Justice.
Two other teenagers were arrested in Hall County for online threats. Jaymon Alan Justice, 17, was charged as an adult with terroristic threats and disruption or interference with operation of public schools. A 13-year-old boy was also charged with terroristic threats and acts and disruption or interference with operation of public schools. Justice was taken to the Hall County Jail. The 13-year-old was taken to the regional youth detention center in Gainesville.
Two teens were arrested in two separate threat incidents in Forsyth County. A 15-year-old boy and a 14-year-old boy were charged with terroristic threats. The 14-year-old was also charged with disruption of schools. Both were taken to the regional youth detention center in Gainesville.
A 13-year-old boy was arrested in Newton County for threats made to Eastside High School, according to the Newton County Sheriff’s Office. He was charged with terroristic threats and is in custody of the juvenile court system.
On Friday, a juvenile was detained over making potential threats of school violence, according to the Oconee County Sheriff’s Office.
A 14-year-old was arrested in connection to school threats made in DeKalb County, according to the school district. The district said a 12-year-old was issued a summons for contributing to the threats.
Students at Archer and Meadowcreek high schools in Gwinnett County were arrested for making terroristic threats, according to the district.
A 13-year-old World Language Academy Middle School student was arrested after making threats in front of his classmates, according to the Hall County Sheriff’s Office. The sheriff’s office said the student said he was “going to be the next school shooter” and that he had a “mag” in his backpack.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 12:08:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By PacNW5:
https://www.atlantanewsfirst.com/2024/09/06/several-teens-arrested-school-threats-across-north-georgia/

Several teenagers have been arrested across metro Atlanta and north Georgia for making threats to schools just days after a deadly shooting at a Barrow County high school.

On Wednesday, a 15-year-old boy was arrested in Jackson County after police said he made statements about the Apalachee High shooting and was “planning on finishing the job to shoot another school in Jackson County.” He was taken to the regional youth detention center in Gainesville.
On Thursday — just a day after the school shooting — Gainesville police said a 14-year-old faces charges of terroristic threats and disruption of the operation of a public school. The teen is being held in a regional youth detention center.
A 12-year-old boy in Athens was charged with terroristic threats after threats were made on social media. Police said posts included images of firearms and the names of schools in Clarke County. He was detained by the Department of Juvenile Justice.
Two other teenagers were arrested in Hall County for online threats. Jaymon Alan Justice, 17, was charged as an adult with terroristic threats and disruption or interference with operation of public schools. A 13-year-old boy was also charged with terroristic threats and acts and disruption or interference with operation of public schools. Justice was taken to the Hall County Jail. The 13-year-old was taken to the regional youth detention center in Gainesville.
Two teens were arrested in two separate threat incidents in Forsyth County. A 15-year-old boy and a 14-year-old boy were charged with terroristic threats. The 14-year-old was also charged with disruption of schools. Both were taken to the regional youth detention center in Gainesville.
A 13-year-old boy was arrested in Newton County for threats made to Eastside High School, according to the Newton County Sheriff’s Office. He was charged with terroristic threats and is in custody of the juvenile court system.
On Friday, a juvenile was detained over making potential threats of school violence, according to the Oconee County Sheriff’s Office.
A 14-year-old was arrested in connection to school threats made in DeKalb County, according to the school district. The district said a 12-year-old was issued a summons for contributing to the threats.
Students at Archer and Meadowcreek high schools in Gwinnett County were arrested for making terroristic threats, according to the district.
A 13-year-old World Language Academy Middle School student was arrested after making threats in front of his classmates, according to the Hall County Sheriff’s Office. The sheriff’s office said the student said he was “going to be the next school shooter” and that he had a “mag” in his backpack.
View Quote
Cool.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 12:14:35 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

There was a post by whatifalthist on Twitter who said that people do not realise just how nihilistic young people are, and that nihilism is wholly pervasive throughout that age group.

Hell I spoke with a blue hair, nose pierced girl who said she was voting for Trump because she's disgusted at the system itself and hopes it collapses.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 12:26:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Evicted, and then physically broke into the house to get his guns?  And this is after he'd already abandoned his dogs at the house?
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 12:33:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 1:04:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pioneer1] [#19]
Money, and lack of having it can push people into some real bad scenarios.

Imagine you were reasonably squared away at one point and then you have multiple back surgeries, end up losing your farm, your wife turned to meth and squandered everything else you had built up over the last 20 years, burned your marriage to the ground, you are evicted from multiple homes, probably job troubles trying to manage it all with back injuries and medical issues, your kids are going off the rails every day while you work long hours at some job trying to keep it together...

I can see some bad times and bad decisions being made from living this scenario.

Not excusing any negligence or failure to get your kid the help he needed, or take care of pets, just saying it could be a tougher road to navigate than some could manage.

I definitely wouldn't leave my guns behind either if a landlord locked me out.

Link Posted: 9/7/2024 1:08:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 1:18:53 AM EDT
[#21]

I think you could argue that as a mimetic species, we tend to copy the deeds of others. Much like 9/11, once Columbine happened, the Overton window shifted to make the incomprehensible, more possible.

And if you dive deeper, there does seem to be something happening with largely white surburban males that make this type of crime attractive to a certain element.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wgjhsafT:

Why are children, teens, etc.  deciding that killing is a solution in particular shooting others at a school?

Lanza was obsessed with school shootings.  So were others.  All of them seem to be social rejects in many cases due to their own behaviors but society in general's attitude towards the future.

I think you could argue that as a mimetic species, we tend to copy the deeds of others. Much like 9/11, once Columbine happened, the Overton window shifted to make the incomprehensible, more possible.

And if you dive deeper, there does seem to be something happening with largely white surburban males that make this type of crime attractive to a certain element.
I've believed this for years.

I was in high school during Columbine, and the mimetic threat was always a bomb threat. Turns out, bombs are hard. Which is why the Columbine bomb plot failed, and they resorted to just shooting people. It was the first incident of it's kind that I recall having that level of national media attention, seemingly 24/7.

Being a mass shooter/school shooter is just "the thing", now. Massive media attention helps to perpetuate it, though I don't believe they are 100% responsible, but hold some level of involvement.

It's a bit too late, we're here now. I have no solutions.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 3:09:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By DonS:

The posts also were: "expressing frustrations with the treatment of transgender people". His father told police he was gay, and was being bullied over it.
View Quote

Such frustrations do not justify terroristic threats, mass murder or facilitating mass murder as the father did by supplying the weapon, and the FBI and GA LEOS did by letting the terroristic threats slide.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 3:17:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spunkets] [#23]

Meh.   Having had to deal with similar calls over the years Id have to see what was actually said and I'll default to the SO saying there wasnt any PC for an arrest when they did the interview at this point.   When it comes to threats of school shooters agencies tend to be on the overzealous side of things when it comes to responses.
View Quote

The FBI and GA authorities lied.  The posts made met the criteria for GA and Fed felonies and the tipsters were sufficiently terrified to make the calls.  The end result of their inability to act on the threat by enforcing at least the GA  law is 4 dead many wounded, significant, terror, grief, pain, anxiety and more political pressure to trample rights and eliminate freedom.

Edit, see: https://www.cnn.com/2024/09/05/us/colt-gray-suspect-georgia-shooter/index.html
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 3:57:24 AM EDT
[#24]
There’s a video of him, taken by his mother, hunting deer. The mother commented how he gets his shooting skills from her… wonder if she’ll face any charges?
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 5:55:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#25]
On the Lanza in Russian as the Discord handle and what kid knows Russian at that age. It could be something as simple and easy as putting Lanza's name into any freely available online translation program and generate an output in some other language like Russian.

Some highlights from a Sep 06 updated Newsweek article:
https://www.newsweek.com/colt-gray-life-apalachee-high-school-georgia-shooting-1949546

On May 22, 2023, members of the Jackson County Sheriff's Office went to the home of his father Colin Gray with whom he lived to investigate multiple tips from the FBI from a Discord user that the teenager allegedly threatened to shoot up a middle school the next day.

In a police report obtained by Newsweek, Colin Gray told officials that his family was evicted from their prior address in Jefferson, Georgia. He and his wife were divorced, and she took the two younger kids while he and Colt moved together.

Colin Gray stated son had problems at West Jackson Middle School in Hoschton, Georgia, and was going to Jefferson Middle School about 17 minutes away, where things got better.

Ed Hooper, spokesperson for the Jackson County School System, confirmed to Newsweek that Colt Gray completed sixth grade at West Jackson Middle School and started seventh grade on July 29, 2022. He was unenrolled on August 19, 2022.

Hooper was unable to discuss any potential disciplinary measures handed down to Colin Gray due to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, also known as FERPA laws. Hooper did confirm the bomb threat was not made at their school.

Colin Gray said he had hunting rifles in the home but he was not allowed to use them unsupervised.

Officials also spoke to Colt, who appeared "calm and reserved." The then 13-year-old claimed he used to have a Discord account but deleted it before moving in with his dad because it kept getting hacked. Colt claimed someone accused him of threatening to shoot up a school, but he would never say such a thing, not even as a joke.

FBI tips included an email address belonging to Colt Gray associated with the Discord account in question. IP addresses from around the time that the family was evicted from their house show that the Discord account was used in either Fort Valley or Statesboro, Georgia, and possibly Buffalo, NY.

The user profile name of the Discord account linked to Colt Gray was written in Russian, officials report. Translated to English, the name spells "Lanza," allegedly referring to Sandy Hook Elementary school shooter Adam Lanza. On December 14, 2012, Lanza shot and killed 20 victims between the ages of 6 six and seven years old as well as six adult staff members. He killed himself with a gunshot to the head as first responders arrived.

Colin Gray told officials that his son does not know or speak Russian. Investigators determined that the allegation that Colin Gray or Colt Gray was behind the Discord account could not be substantiated.

During a news conference late Wednesday, Georgia Bureau of Investigation director Chris Hosey told reporters that investigations into the shooting were ongoing and that officers were still working to determine how Colt Gray was able to bring an "AR-platform-style weapon" into the school building.

"We're still trying to clarify a lot of the timeline from the time that he got here to school today until the incident," Hosey added.

Apalachee High School student Lyela Sayarath described Colt Gray as "pretty quiet" and said he skipped class often in an interview with CNN.

"Even when he would've talked, it was one-word answers or short statements," Sayarath said.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 6:28:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By spunkets:

The FBI and GA authorities lied.  The posts made met the criteria for GA and Fed felonies and the tipsters were sufficiently terrified to make the calls.  The end result of their inability to act on the threat by enforcing at least the GA  law is 4 dead many wounded, significant, terror, grief, pain, anxiety and more political pressure to trample rights and eliminate freedom.

Edit, see: https://www.cnn.com/2024/09/05/us/colt-gray-suspect-georgia-shooter/index.html
View Quote

Again; where are the details because there is nothing in that CNN link that looks close to being able to charge someone with a communicating threats type offense.  Saying that you are going to do something in 2-3 years isnt, at least in NC, going to meet the elements of Communicating Threats.  And the pictures of firearms e posted; were they of guns he owned/had access to or images he pulled from different online sources?

Link Posted: 9/7/2024 7:18:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WeimaranerDad] [#27]
[b]Originally Posted By sbhaven:[/

(Snip)….

FBI tips included an email address belonging to Colt Gray associated with the Discord account in question. IP addresses from around the time that the family was evicted from their house show that the Discord account was used in either Fort Valley or Statesboro, Georgia, and possibly Buffalo, NY…..

(/snip)

View Quote

Discord….CHECK!

Buffalo, NY……CHECK!

Known to the FBI…..CHECK!

I am seeing a trend here .

The Buffalo, NY grocery store shooter was also known to a retired FBI agent via Discord:

Attachment Attached File

From here:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/05/15/us/payton-gendron-buffalo-shooting-suspect-what-we-know

Attachment Attached File

From here:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna28910

Of course, now I am having  problems finding articles that say a retired FBI agent had communicated with the Buffalo shooter via discord.

Link Posted: 9/7/2024 8:01:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Beer_Slayer] [#28]
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 8:31:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 8:42:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Is Discord now the hacker formerly known as 4chan of the internet?  So, it's now the preferred announcement board for school shooters?
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#32]
That vast majority of "regular" people default to telling the cops the truth, believing they are the good guys. Probably never occurred to him to lie. That sort of thought (along with the advice to STFU) is reserved for us cynics.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pioneer1:
Absolutely flabbergasted and astounded that the father would ever actually admit that he bought the gun 'for the son'. In this case, that's tantamount to asking to go to jail.

Without that admission by him it couldn't be proven and the framing of the case would be 'he took my gun without permission' which would look much better for the father's defense.
That vast majority of "regular" people default to telling the cops the truth, believing they are the good guys. Probably never occurred to him to lie. That sort of thought (along with the advice to STFU) is reserved for us cynics.

Not to mention a GUARANTEED way to wind up in jail, is to lie about something that will quickly be disproven.

How’d the, “I have no idea” defense, work out for Nicholas Mui?
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:58:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Discord messages released

https://archive.is/9VVB2

Documents released by the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office show the online threats of a school shooting that led police to question Colt Gray and his father last May.
“im committing a mass shooting, and im waiting a good 2-3 years,” a user, who went by the name “Lanza” written in Russian, wrote in a chatroom in Discord, a social media platform popular with gamers. Adam Lanza killed 26 people during the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Connecticut in 2012.

The user described his own plans to target an elementary school, while posting anti-LGBTQ+ and antisemitic views.
“let me give you an example of why I’m doing this,” the user wrote, posting a photo of a family holding signs showing support for their trans daughter. “I need to put an end to that. … im on the edge of a lgbtq massacre”
The person posted photos of guns.

“Do it,” wrote one user, who later urged the would-be shooter to record the act and also suggested targeting a synagogue.

An anonymous tipster sent screenshots of the messages to the FBI, who forwarded them to the Jackson County Sherriff’s Office, the records show.

Officers traced an email address associated with the Discord account to Colt Gray, the records show. But when they questioned Colt and his father Colin Gray in May 2023, Colin Gray said that neither he nor his son was familiar with the email address. Colt Gray also said that he had deleted his Discord account months earlier partly because people had hacked into his account.

The spokesperson said Discord shut down an account associated with the suspect on May 21 last year and provided law enforcement with information it requested.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 11:05:50 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

And this is one of the BIGGEST reasons we’re seeing more of this crap.

There’s no question that the 24/7 news cycle encourages copycats. The unstable ones look at these incidents, and become obsessed with studying them (like this kid, apparently), and then the most unstable ones eventually work their way up to planning, and possibly proceeding with one.

I think it might have been after Parkland, one of the news networks was interviewing a psychologist on the motivations and reasons it seemed to be more common since Columbine. Apparently, they either never gave the psychologist the script, or he DGAF. He began talking about how the 24/7 news cycle spurred/inspired copycats. The hosts looked uncomfortable, immediately cut to commercial. After the break, hey, psychologist is gone. And in other news…
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 11:17:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By CouncilOfDave:

I was in high school during Columbine, and the mimetic threat was always a bomb threat. Turns out, bombs are hard. Which is why the Columbine bomb plot failed, and they resorted to just shooting people. It was the first incident of it's kind that I recall having that level of national media attention, seemingly 24/7.

Being a mass shooter/school shooter is just "the thing", now. Massive media attention helps to perpetuate it, though I don't believe they are 100% responsible, but hold some level of involvement.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CouncilOfDave:
Originally Posted By wgjhsafT:

Why are children, teens, etc.  deciding that killing is a solution in particular shooting others at a school?

Lanza was obsessed with school shootings.  So were others.  All of them seem to be social rejects in many cases due to their own behaviors but society in general's attitude towards the future.

It’s been a topic of discussion in psychology ever since Columbine.

Besides copycats being obsessed with, and inspired by previous incidents, one of the other things seems to be wanting the notoriety/attention.

Recommendations have included focusing on the victims, and denying the psychopath the notoriety, by simply referring to them as the perpetrator/murderer, and not bombarding people with it on the news cycle 24/7.

The problem is, drama sells. Keeping it on the news cycle 24/7 draws viewers, and people WANT (and feel they have the right) to hear every little detail and facet of the psychopath’s life, motivations, history, feeding the machine that inspires more of the unstable ones out there.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#36]
The mother of mass school shooter Colt Gray had threatened to kill her estranged husband less than a year before their son gunned down four people at Apalachee High School in Georgia, DailyMail.com can exclusively reveal.

Marcee Gray, 43, has a criminal record spanning more than 17 years, and was in jail as recently as April, court records show.

The former quality engineer was arrested in November in Barrow County, suspected of possessing methamphetamine, fentanyl and muscle relaxants.

She also faced charges of aggravated battery, theft by taking, criminal trespass, false imprisonment and failure to appear in January, in nearby Fitzgerald County.

Sources told DailyMail.com that the mother-of-three ‘threatened to kill her husband’ during one of the incidents.

She also ‘tied up’ her elderly mother and left her for 24 hours.

It is unclear exactly what sparked the spiral, but Marcee Gray had previously posted online about ‘what substance abuse can do’ to a family.

She had made several concerning Facebook posts throughout the years, sharing her struggles with estranged husband Colin Gray, who she accused of abuse.

In November, 2022, Marcee Gray wrote: 'From my husband’s first memory, all he knew was abuse. Severe physical abuse (I’m talking everything from getting a broken arm at age 8 while he was totally asleep to having a barstool crack his skull open...I still rub my fingers across the scar/gouge on his scalp and think to myself “How?! I can’t even comprehend it!”...that is what substance abuse can do. To a mama, a daddy, a spouse, a sibling....you name it and it will reach them.'

The same day, Marcee said in a different post: 'I know it’s hard to understand from the outside looking in. Everyone in my and his family couldn’t understand why I stayed as long as I did. Ultimately it was my own decision…

Attachment Attached File

'I made a commitment to the Lord and my husband. No one but me understands the pain that my husband lives with every single day. Every single person in his life has hurt or betrayed him… And I truly believe that the Lord sent me to him because no one else was strong enough to stay by his side through thick and thin. I’m not about to give up on him now… We are just taking a break.'

The next month, Marcee wrote on LinkedIn: 'Finally separated from my abusive husband of almost 14yrs... Hardest shit I’ve ever done but we’re in good hands.'

In May, 2023, she said in a post:  'I packed myself and my babies up and relocated to my hometown in south GA. We are all good and my kids are thriving.'

The same month, police contacted Colin Gray after receiving an FBI tip that Colt Gray had threatened to shoot up his school on the platform Discord.

Speaking to police at the time, Colin Gray said he had recently separated from his son's mother, and that 'she took his younger two' kids.

Marcee Gray pleaded guilty in December, 2023, to one count of using a license plate to conceal identity, criminal damage to property in the second degree and criminal trespass/family violence.

She was prosecuted under Georgia’s First Offender Act, which allows eligible defendants to plead guilty without being convicted.

Court record indicate that she was not actually charged with drug possession in relation to her arrest.

An arrest warrant obtained by DailyMail.com states that Gray had a glass jar containing methamphetamine, a ‘baggie’ containing fentanyl, another ‘baggie’ containing multiple muscle relaxants, and a glass pipe ‘used for the ingestion of narcotics.’

She also concealed the identity of her Nissan Rogue by affixing a tag for a Nissan Kick, the warrant states.

Court documents show that she was sentenced to five years in jail, the first 46 days to be spent in confinement and the remainder on probation.

A condition of her probation banned her from having contact with her husband, except through a third party for matters concerning their children or divorce. She was also ordered to pay $1,500 in restitution and made to participate in a family violence intervention program and to stay away from drugs and alcohol.

Court records also showed that she had misdemeanor traffic offences in 2019, 2014, 2008 and 2007.

The earlier charges included driving under the influence of alcohol, and was fined $600, sentenced to 12 months of probation and ordered to complete 40 hours of community service.

Gray was also sued in 2019 by Nash Chevrolet Company, which claimed she bought a 2018 Chevrolet Suburban in September 2018 using a $10,000 check as a down payment. The check, which had both Gray and her husband’s names on it, was ‘dishonored due to lack of funds.’

In February 2020, Gray was ordered to pay the dealership just over $19,000, reflecting the money initially owed for the vehicle as well as interest, attorney fees and punitive damages.

It comes as her 14-year-old son has been charged as an adult with four counts of murder. His father Colin has also been charged in connection with the killings after he reportedly told police he bought the weapon used in the massacre as a holiday present for his son.

The teenager Gray is accused of shooting two of his fellow students and two teachers at the school Wednesday morning, with nine others taken to hospital with injuries.

He reportedly had an obsession with other infamous school shooters such as Parkland, Florida killer Nikolas Cruz.

When police searched the teen's Georgia home following the bloodbath, they reportedly found clues the teenager was 'obsessed' with mass shootings - specifically the Parkland massacre in 2018, which left 17 people dead.

Gray was known to the FBI after several tips came in about him last year.

Continued
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 11:34:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:

this is not uncommon.

the problem with this approach is that these behavior tend to escalate and once contacted they begin to be a bit more careful online because they know they are on the radar.

At the time of that contact a year ago there very well may have been no real signs of immediate threat beyond a single post. Where the system fails is that the case gets closed. When we take those cases they get monitored for the duration of their stay on a campus. the monitoring is automated and not 100% but frequently we will begin to see an escalation in specific behaviors as they begin to spiral. sometimes it's slow over a long period, sometimes they snap over night. We look for things like drug references/use, violent statements, appearance changes,  radical changes in beliefs etc. We also look at their peer groups and family situations.

then we have schools that go out of their way to keep the reports from LE or investigations to "protect their privacy". they want to handle the kids in house, except they have no effective means or the resources to do it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:

this is not uncommon.

the problem with this approach is that these behavior tend to escalate and once contacted they begin to be a bit more careful online because they know they are on the radar.

At the time of that contact a year ago there very well may have been no real signs of immediate threat beyond a single post. Where the system fails is that the case gets closed. When we take those cases they get monitored for the duration of their stay on a campus. the monitoring is automated and not 100% but frequently we will begin to see an escalation in specific behaviors as they begin to spiral. sometimes it's slow over a long period, sometimes they snap over night. We look for things like drug references/use, violent statements, appearance changes,  radical changes in beliefs etc. We also look at their peer groups and family situations.

then we have schools that go out of their way to keep the reports from LE or investigations to "protect their privacy". they want to handle the kids in house, except they have no effective means or the resources to do it.

You’ve posted before about the amazing work you folks are doing.

Why isn’t this more common? Is it a lack of local budgets for people to get the required training, and set up to do this? Lack of motivation to do anything, because nothing’s happened yet (much like all the companies who cheap out on security UNTIL they get hit with a hack/ransomware)?
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 12:52:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spunkets] [#38]

Again; where are the details because there is nothing in that CNN link that looks close to being able to charge someone with a communicating threats type offense.  Saying that you are going to do something in 2-3 years isnt, at least in NC, going to meet the elements of Communicating Threats.  And the pictures of firearms e posted; were they of guns he owned/had access to or images he pulled from different online sources?

View Quote

LOL!  Of course.   He was hacked by the demons that holed out under his bed to make sure the IP they used came back to him.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Discord messages released

https://archive.is/9VVB2

Documents released by the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office show the online threats of a school shooting that led police to question Colt Gray and his father last May.
“im committing a mass shooting, and im waiting a good 2-3 years,” a user, who went by the name “Lanza” written in Russian, wrote in a chatroom in Discord, a social media platform popular with gamers. Adam Lanza killed 26 people during the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Connecticut in 2012.

The user described his own plans to target an elementary school, while posting anti-LGBTQ+ and antisemitic views.
“let me give you an example of why I’m doing this,” the user wrote, posting a photo of a family holding signs showing support for their trans daughter. “I need to put an end to that. … im on the edge of a lgbtq massacre”
The person posted photos of guns.

“Do it,” wrote one user, who later urged the would-be shooter to record the act and also suggested targeting a synagogue.

An anonymous tipster sent screenshots of the messages to the FBI, who forwarded them to the Jackson County Sherriff’s Office, the records show.

Officers traced an email address associated with the Discord account to Colt Gray, the records show. But when they questioned Colt and his father Colin Gray in May 2023, Colin Gray said that neither he nor his son was familiar with the email address. Colt Gray also said that he had deleted his Discord account months earlier partly because people had hacked into his account.

The spokesperson said Discord shut down an account associated with the suspect on May 21 last year and provided law enforcement with information it requested.
View Quote
The police report stated the account was connected to Colin Gray.  Not Colt Gray.  Might be a typo, might be their misunderstanding of what was relayed to them, or it might be that's what the info pointed to.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 3:23:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By spunkets:

LOL!  Of course.   He was hacked by the demons that holed out under his bed to make sure the IP they used came back to him.
View Quote

So outline your PC and the charges you'd looking to get warrant(s)/secure custody orders for
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

according to a reliable source... 12 kids have been arrested for threats this week
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Yeah, i suspect that, now the authorities have his electronics, if they really want to, they'll be able to find the tracks.
View Quote

I don’t think FBI wants to link trans to shootings, and they don’t need to unravel that to prosecute him.

Whatever the government says doesn’t count much anymore.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 4:10:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By ClayHollisterTT:

You think it someone made a fake account, made it look like he was threatening to shoot up the school and then he actually shot up the school?  That is quite a bizarre conspiracy theory/coincidence.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jwr6:
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:

Again, is that discord account confirmed to be colt?

My understanding that when they investigated him back in 2013 they could never confirm that that discord account was colt’s… which is why LE couldn’t  charge him with anything.

Dude, give it up.   This is GD.  Half the people here think T$ is going to open the machinegun registry. You think they’re grounded enough to give a shit about “proof” regarding a discord account?

You think it someone made a fake account, made it look like he was threatening to shoot up the school and then he actually shot up the school?  That is quite a bizarre conspiracy theory/coincidence.

No, I think law enforcement couldn’t prove it. Thus no charges.  There’s sometimes a difference between what you know, and what you can prove.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 4:17:11 PM EDT
[#46]

Interesting. So the investigating Sherriff's officer urged Colin Gray to "keep his firearms locked away".
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#47]

So outline your PC and the charges you'd looking to get warrant(s)/secure custody orders for
View Quote

The criteria for the crime of making terroristic threats was met by the threats the "investigator" had in hand, the tips that apparently came in from around the country and the IP trace, which I believe the "investigator" was as competent in handling as K Harris would be.  There's a notable lack of concern for the matter by the "investigator", as manifest in the police report, which is in stark contrast with that of the people of GA, in that they consider making just one such threat a felony and did so to give agencies a tool to address murderous yoots, ect...  The reason for that should be obvious from the stark consequences resultant from the "investigator's" and agency's lack of competence and concern.  No competent and concerned judge would turn down a request for warrants to clear up any IP problem whatsoever given the people's concern, gravity of the matter and threat evidence at hand.  Relying on the testimony of suspects to create stories is not an acceptable justification to drop the matter and waive one's hands while declaring there's nothing I can do, "cause IPs are hard" and getting one based on just the evidence of the clear threat is even harder.  I believe the people of GA made each each threat occurrence is a felony and did not require a bunch of BS, as claimed by the "investigator", the FBIs acceptance of the "investagator's" report(if they read it) and their proponents.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2024 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#49]

No, I think law enforcement couldn’t prove it. Thus no charges.  There’s sometimes a difference between what you know, and what you can prove.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:

Again, is that discord account confirmed to be colt?

My understanding that when they investigated him back in 2013 they could never confirm that that discord account was colt’s… which is why LE couldn’t  charge him with anything.

Dude, give it up.   This is GD.  Half the people here think T$ is going to open the machinegun registry. You think they’re grounded enough to give a shit about “proof” regarding a discord account?

So you just want to insult everyone while you hold the same opinion. Strange.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 42
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top