BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not true. Current technology could, in theory, build a superconducting ring around Mars that would be able to generate enough of a magnetic field to stop ablative loss from the solar wind.

The largest hurdles are:

1. No one has built a superconductor 1000's of km's long and measured the losses(which should be zero)

2. Getting enough Bismuth/Yttrium and a few other minerals to Mars, depending on the type of SC used.

3. It's a planet sized project.

A sufficiently large magnetic field isn't the biggest issue with terraforming Mars. Replenishing the atmosphere on any sort of human timescale is.
View Quote

Sounds expensive. Like really expensive. Like lets just make the planet we want from scratch expensive!
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 2:23:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Can 1/3 Earth's gravity contain enough O2 volume to sustain a breathable atmosphere?
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 2:24:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Even if you solve the atmospheric problem , having only .38 of the gravity is going to wreak havoc on humans biologically. That , and that pesky -80° temp .
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Exactly. No magnetosphere is something they cannot change and will always make terraforming Mars pointless.
View Quote

We just need to drill down to the core of Mars and start dropping magnets down the hole.

Duh!

Link Posted: 10/23/2023 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah, breathing pure oxygen on Mars would be like breathing 1/15th the amount of oxygen you get at the top of Everest.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The atmosphere is so thin that even if it was pure O2 you'd still probably die.

I did a Google search on the altitude equivalence here on earth and it was something like 28km high.  If true holy shit...

Yeah, breathing pure oxygen on Mars would be like breathing 1/15th the amount of oxygen you get at the top of Everest.

You could use the bacteria to make o2 and concentrate it for use in a sealed habitat.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just need to drill into the core and set off a number of nuclear warheads to get the ol magnetic field spinning again.
View Quote

and where are we going to find a good supply of unobtanium?
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Even if you solve the atmospheric problem , having only .38 of the gravity is going to wreak havoc on humans biologically. That , and that pesky -80° temp .
View Quote

If we solve the magnetosphere, problem, warming it up with greenhouse gases and a giant magnifying glass in orbit will be child's play - duh.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 5:16:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You didn't even read one of the responses did you?
View Quote

I read the OP and responded.  Then I read other responses and saw that many others made the same point.  So what?  I don't get your anger.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#10]
While I would take a new habitable planet, I wuld much rather have 3 tittied women. That would make everything better.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Mars soil is poisonous too btw, forget that dumb Matt Damon movie. No amount of fertilizer is going to make martian soil useful at all. Reality sucks, scifi suckered us so bad.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Nothing will survive without the Van Halen belt.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 8:02:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Even if you replaced all of Mars' air with pure oxygen, the extremely low air pressure (less than 1% of Earth's) would mean it's still not breathable.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#15]
David Bowie – Life On Mars? (Official Video)
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#16]
It seems like it would make much more sense to build underground on Mars to shield oneself from all that radiation. I think that's what they did on The Expanse until they gave up and started moving to planets through the gate system that were already alive.

Regardless, there isn't much on Mars except certain resources like iron. I often say that colonizing that planet is some thing of a red herring.

It could be terraformed. But as others have pointed out. It would demand tremendous energy and resources. That can probably only be provided by the infrastructure of a Dyson Swarm to make it practical/cost efficient.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Introducing a bacteria on a planet that is sterile of human existence sounds safe and effective.

What can go wrong?
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 8:52:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I think home girl is tripp'in.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Introducing a bacteria on a planet that is sterile of human existence sounds safe and effective.

What can go wrong?
View Quote

I have eleventy trillion mouths and I must feed?

That said until we start editing the whole solar system I think Mars is going to be a very marginal place for any form of life. There just isn't much to work with there besides very toxic soil.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 9:00:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 9:02:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Shake and bake colony?
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#22]
That's nice but i think with the lack of magnetosphere any atmo they make with fancy biopaint will get stripped away faster than they can make it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 9:14:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Exactly. No magnetosphere is something they cannot change and will always make terraforming Mars pointless.
View Quote

It has been posited that you could actually just stick a relatively small electromagnet in the lagrange point and it would do the job.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The solar wind is a real bitch. Good luck with keeping your new atmosphere!
View Quote

If you want your atmosphere, you can have your atmosphere.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Oxygen isn't the problem on Mars.  Nitrogen is.

Mars has plenty of oxygen locked up in the soil.  Not so much nitrogen.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It seems like it would make much more sense to build underground on Mars to shield oneself from all that radiation. I think that's what they did on The Expanse until they gave up and started moving to planets through the gate system that were already alive.

Regardless, there isn't much on Mars except certain resources like iron. I often say that colonizing that planet is some thing of a red herring.

It could be terraformed. But as others have pointed out. It would demand tremendous energy and resources. That can probably only be provided by the infrastructure of a Dyson Swarm to make it practical/cost efficient.
View Quote

It would actually be easier to make floating colonies on venus. Upper atmo there is similar pressure and gravity to earth. Just have to deal with the corrosives.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 9:36:01 PM EDT
[#27]
The temperature on Mars is -70 Fahrenheit.

Ain’t no one gonna be breathing in that air.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 9:39:51 PM EDT
[#28]
The only time Mars will be remotely hospitable is when our sun starts fusing heavier elements and grows in size.

Even then it will be a relatively short window.

It's too far from the sun after the sun stabilized and I don't think it has the core to sustain any kind of magnetic field/atmosphere we would consider livable.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 9:45:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
First post nails it unless they plan on bringing a butt load of magnets too.
View Quote

Somebody’s got to go back and get a shitload of magnets!
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 9:46:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

They've already determined a satellite at one of the langargarian points can deflect the solar wind.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I saw this movie I think.
View Quote
Robinson Crusoe on Mars proved this 50 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 9:54:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Fine , we're living on Mars,  saving our poop to grow veggies with ....then one day we miss a resupply . We've already atrophied and become too weak from the .38 earth gravity  . It'll be 2yrs before the next resupply.  The end .
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 12:22:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 12:24:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It's a partial pressure problem for humans.  The atmosphere must contain oxygen in high enough concentration at sufficient pressure for people's to breathe.

Mars doesn't have enough gravity.

I'm sticking with my plan to raise the orbit if Mars closer to the Sun so there's nearly a hint of sufficient heat on the planet.  No crazier than the rest, and I'd have potential energy on my side.

View Quote

What would you use to change the planet's orbit?
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 12:44:33 AM EDT
[#35]
I think mining and weaponizing the moon would be better .
* if we're gonna depopulate we need to start with China...
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 4:08:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
only .38 of the gravity is going to wreak havoc on humans biologically.
View Quote

That is not known. It might be fine. This is something we should check out. Virtually all of our research is near 0g vs 1g. We have almost no fractional gravity human research, but the tiny amount we have from the lunar missions is actually quite promising.

I suspect 0.38g is fine.

The bigger question is can we do half that? A third? If so, we can do the Moon, Callisto, Titan, maybe Ganymede, living in habs/tunnels and we can survive on ships and stations with easier engineering spin gravity. A bunch of O'Neill Cylinders around large asteroids that we mine starts to give us many Earth's of living space without the truly unimaginably insane scale and timeframe of a Dyson Swarm.

(Io and Europa are not doable due to Jovian radiation belts. Fuck floating around acidic windy Venus over a crushing hellscape... I'd rather live in a crater on one of Mercury's poles )
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So the answer to man made climate change is to change the climate on another planet?

Interesting.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2023 7:38:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
-225 F every night
View Quote

Yeah, solar winds aside, best case isn't the cold gonna be a problem for the bacteria to grow and live for more than a day during the summer?
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 7:56:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That's nice but i think with the lack of magnetosphere any atmo they make with fancy biopaint will get stripped away faster than they can make it.
View Quote

https://www.nasa.gov/news-release/nasa-mission-reveals-speed-of-solar-wind-stripping-martian-atmosphere/

MAVEN measurements indicate that the solar wind strips away gas at a rate of about 100 grams (equivalent to roughly 1/4 pound) every second. “Like the theft of a few coins from a cash register every day, the loss becomes significant over time,” said Bruce Jakosky, MAVEN principal investigator at the University of Colorado, Boulder. “We’ve seen that the atmospheric erosion increases significantly during solar storms, so we think the loss rate was much higher billions of years ago when the sun was young and more active.”

-----------------------

If you can make an atmosphere I'd think you could make an extra 100g/sec to make up for the solar wind losses, but I'm not an expert.  A lot of things we do routinely today were believed impossible 150 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 8:09:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
FPNI

I thought the reason Mars lacked atmosphere & surface water was the lack of a magnetic core to divert the solar wind…..

True.  That article is likely from a "climate change scientist."

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top