Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
One of my cards I use specifically for firearm related purchases was compromised today. Used it at the following this past week.

Optics planet.
Midwest industries.
Brownells.
Stag.

Could be random, but heads up.
View Quote
Gas stations seem to be the extremely popular for card skimmers. Might not have happened online and it could have been weeks or months ago.

FWIW I ordered from Stag and Brownells recently a few times each and want hit.

The Two times I was hit, I could almost trace it back to using it at a gas pump.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
One of my cards I use specifically for firearm related purchases was compromised today. Used it at the following this past week.

Optics planet.
Midwest industries.
Brownells.
Stag.

View Quote
Of those, I only ordered from Stag and my card was compromised.   However, I use the card at gas stations, so it might just be a coincidence.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:26:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Is that what you're telling your wife?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:28:44 PM EDT
[#4]
i also purchased one of the CH from stag and my card was compromised for a tick under $350. mine card is a Chase also
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:11:48 PM EDT
[#5]
My Chase card was compromised as well.  Purchase attempt made at Barnes and Noble.com

Stag order also in common.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:17:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I got called about one of my cards, it was fraud.  Funny thing is I haven't used that card in 10 months.  WTF?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:19:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Optics planet.
Midwest industries.
Brownells.
Stag.

View Quote
Call the CC.
Dispute charge you did not make.
Get new card number.

If you have been an otherwise reliable customer (paid on time) they will bend over backwards.

Occasionally they need signed and notarized more formal complaint forms if they try and pursue legal action.
Just cooperate.
While they will not pay you for your time, they will pay for notaries (if they cost anything in your area) often for the asking.
If they have commercail branches in your area the notaries there are often free.

In some stes ALL notaries are free, but giving them a small tip is NOT discouraged.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 3:11:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one card that I only used at Stag.  Checked tonight and sure enough, fraudulent charge.  On the phone cancelling the card now.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:02:08 AM EDT
[#9]
The card that I used for the Stag CHs was compromised. Cancelled it yesterday.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:42:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Used my card on Nov22 and Nov23 for Stag orders. Chase called me on the 7th, One fraud attempt at some place in SC. Chase cancelled that number and sent out a new card.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:48:04 AM EDT
[#11]
LOL, Stag Arms...what a shitshow.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:07:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cash is king, OP. Go be poor somewhere else.
View Quote
I envy people who's lives are so simple they can go without one...not rent hotel room...not rent cars, boats, or airplanes. I wish I had a life so simple I could do it all with cash.

I charge around $50k per year due to business travel. If I carried that kind of cash around all day, every day, to the parts of the world I go, I'd need my own security team and I'd spend half my time making my own currency conversions.

go live under a rock somewhere else...
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:09:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Lol, it's not the vendor
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:18:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Hey you dumbasses, do you actually believe that when you make an online purchase that you connect directly to the vendor as though you have a solid wire from your house to the vendor????  

Because it doesn't work that way. Your little packets leave your browser or phone and go through about a gagillion servers and other devices both on the way to the vendor and on the way back. Then your vendor sends packets to their CC processor that go through about a gagillion servers and other devices there and back to them to approve the charges.

This means that the vendor is but one tiny point where your information is handled among countless others. Your info could be compromised at any point along the way.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:22:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Single use virtual account numbers are the only way I make online purchases. Several card issuers offer them now.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:23:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I made a gun purchase at Cabellas it worked fine, however the next time I tried to use the chip was bad, I put up with it for a while then got a brand new card, it worked great until after I recently made another gun purchase at a local gun shop, the chip went bad again and I started getting access denied when I tried to use it.

I was able to get the access denied thing fixed, they blamed local retailers machines doing something to the cards, but I still have to get another new card because of the bad chip.

It could just be a coincidence that the chips going bad coincided with gun related purchases or it could be that there are some anti-gun scum at the card issuers monitoring accounts and intentionally breaking cards that are used to make gun related purchases.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hey you dumbasses, do you actually believe that when you make an online purchase that you connect directly to the vendor as though you have a solid wire from your house to the vendor????  

Because it doesn't work that way. Your little packets leave your browser or phone and go through about a gagillion servers and other devices both on the way to the vendor and on the way back. Then your vendor sends packets to their CC processor that go through about a gagillion servers and other devices there and back to them to approve the charges.

This means that the vendor is but one tiny point where your information is handled among countless others. Your info could be compromised at any point along the way.
View Quote
Yeah but it's encrypted.   Online is more secure than a gas pump or restaurant.  Particularly in a world where everyone carries around a camera.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:45:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The last time my CC got compromised, it was from LAPG.. I mean it was like 10 mins after I placed an order
View Quote
Its the damned employees of these companies probably.  I have said this before, BOTACH (BOTACH Employee)did this to me on a CC I used maybe once a year.
Used it online and I get my CC bill and see a charge in California where BOTACH is located. Once I talked to the company where the charge was made and told them I didnt make the purchase for $300 they went into crash mode. We cant tell you anything since its fraud.
I said well you can tell me the State and City where it was shipped.
Same fucking place
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#19]
I got hacked too.  Last purchase was from AIM.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I got hacked too.  Last purchase was from AIM.
View Quote
No restaurants or gas stations since that purchase?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No restaurants or gas stations since that purchase?
View Quote
Nope USPS was the previous purchase. Somebody had to get their Boost Mobile on.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:17:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
you might check out privacy dot com and put a 'virtual condom' on your cards
View Quote
Use it all the time.  Wish i would have known sooner.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:23:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Who's the dumbass? All those packets are encrypted along the way. Welcome to 2018.

Any site storing your CC info should also be encrypted on the server. However, if the vendor stores it locally on their server and has been compromised, all bets are off.

Never use a Debit Card.
Use a temporary CC number, like BofA's ShopSafe, if you can. I've only given my real CC to a select few online, such as Amazon and PayPal. If I can't funnel payment through those, I use ShopSafe and limit the temporary card to the amount of the transaction.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 11:26:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks like my credit card was hacked too. Today, someone tried to use it to buy a car in Florida $3200 but the card company denied it texted my wife and she confirmed fraud. Idiots then tries to run it through for $1000 at the same place denied again. Sure would be nice if the .gov would make an effort to find some of these douchebags and make a very public example out of them. Something very permanent would be nice.

ETA:  purchased one of the charging handles from Stag on Black Friday.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Got a charge from Amazon for $25-something that I didn't make, on 12/21. Chase card that I used at Stag, also.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 12:48:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Got a charge from Amazon for $25-something that I didn't make, on 12/21. Chase card that I used at Stag, also.
View Quote
...and now another one for $272 from Amazon...

Waiting on the phone with Chase to talk to someone.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 1:08:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Chase has been easy to work with, so far.  Sending a new one to me, probably won't be here for 10 days.  No big deal, as I only use it for online purchases, which I've probably made enough of already.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 1:29:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Still waiting on replacement card, sucks not having one.
View Quote
One of my Amex cards was hit a few weeks ago and they overnighted me a new one.  Maybe you card issuer will do the same thing?
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Have you used those cards at any restaurants lately?   Waiters/waitresses who take your car and run it out of your sight are the most common card information thieves.

NEVER let anybody else handle your card or at least don't let it out of your sight while they're running it.   Pay close attention to that.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top