Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 6:22:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I just finished watching the part with the tanks and the flamethrowers...

The wheels of one of those tanks look strangely like the road wheels on a BMP. I wonder if that was the base vehicle
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I just figured flamethrowers were shitty back then.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Liked seeing the French tanks. I never saw those in a movie before. The flamethrower scene seemed fake.

I just figured flamethrowers were shitty back then.

Pretty much all flamethrower shots are fake as hell, they use propane/gas vapor or something similar instead of a gas/oil/diesel mixture of some sort that is liquid. Liquid is far more nasty as it sticks to you unlike a gas does.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Brutal. Very different from the two more famous versions.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 7:15:37 PM EDT
[#4]
The complete callousness of the Prussians toward life, even Germans, is incomprehensible.

Yet true.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm German, so right off I noticed a bit of the translation in parts was off, but whatever.

Overall it was ok, but nothing epic. Seemed like after their deployment is was just skipping them around random places and then there was a battle. I wish they would have showed more 'daily life' or dumb bullshit that illustrated the reason they were at this stage of the war, etc. I don't know, but it was just really missing something to really grab your attention. The scenery was very well done however.

The one thing that was a subtle theme throughout, and is very far from obvious from many people, especially this generation, is that due to the lack of cell phones, the internet and media that isn't just issued state propaganda, you can literally have people believing anything. I remember Oma telling me that during WW2, the people who were around for WW1 now believed absolutely NOTHING positive about any reports of the war over the radio or newspapers.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Basically a family dispute that cost the lives of millions and then set the ground work for a second war that resulted in the loss of even more people.

The USA should have never been involved, Woodrow Wilson was basically the Devil incarnate.
View Quote
You dont let another nation try to get someone else to invade you.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I finished it last night. I enjoyed it, and like others have said here, it was loosely based on the book.

I thought it was missing too much from the book for such a titled movie.

Nonetheless I enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 8:09:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Meh, I must be getting jaded.  It didn't seem any different or better from the other iterations of the book or any other war movie nowadays.  "War is bad, mmm-kay" is kind of a worn out phrase.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 8:11:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I finished it last night. I enjoyed it, and like others have said here, it was loosely based on the book.

I thought it was missing too much from the book for such a titled movie.

Nonetheless I enjoyed it.
View Quote

I think they should have not used the title All Quiet on the Western Front but named it something else and just made it a World War I movie
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I wish someone would make a movie about Belleau Woods.

Link Posted: 10/31/2022 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Brutal movie, the last offensive after the armistice was signed was completely needless.

The armistice negotiations were pretty interesting. Ferdinand Foch wanted to dick Germany as much as possible.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Mostly this.  It depicts the horrors of trench warfare and is gritty.  I read the book and watched the 70's film with Jon Boy.  Those are better, IMHO.

I think the ending of this was not as good.  Many lives wasted for nothing at the end of the movie is fine.
But the other versions had it not only wasted at the end, but entirely random, which I felt was important.
I have never seen the 1930's version
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This movie should not have been associated with All Quiet On The Western Front...it would be better as a standalone movie.  Call it "1918" or something.

I was expecting a more vivid depiction of the original novel, and I was very disappointed.  

As it was, I found it slow and boring, but mesmerizing but I had to watch it.

Mostly this.  It depicts the horrors of trench warfare and is gritty.  I read the book and watched the 70's film with Jon Boy.  Those are better, IMHO.

I think the ending of this was not as good.  Many lives wasted for nothing at the end of the movie is fine.
But the other versions had it not only wasted at the end, but entirely random, which I felt was important.
I have never seen the 1930's version

Same here, except I have seen the 1930 version. This one doesn’t stand up to the earlier versions, and changing the ending was horrible.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Out of 10, 10 being the highest rating, I will give it a 6.......
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 9:01:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Production wise it seems pretty good just started watching it. The music though completely out of place and not very good
View Quote

Just finished watching it. For a Netflix film, the production quality was pretty darn good. Yes, the music was a bit weird, as if they spent the entire budget on the production and only had $114.33 left to score it.

It's a downer of a movie but I guess that's the point.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#16]
As an aside, the older I get and more I understand about WWI, the more I think "FUCK World War I. Fuck all of it. Fuck everything."
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 9:10:32 PM EDT
[#17]
My poor old grandpa made it home from that.  He was crazy as heck.  God bless you grandad.  I hope your burden is gone.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My poor old grandpa made it home from that.  He was crazy as heck.  God bless you grandad.  I hope your burden is gone.
View Quote

My great grandpa Roy was a WW1 vet...he carried alot in his kit bag until he died.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
As an aside, the older I get and more I understand about WWI, the more I think "FUCK World War I. Fuck all of it. Fuck everything."
View Quote

The Spanish Flu of 1918 had as much to do with ending the war as any of the stubborn assholes that started it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 10:28:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Production wise it seems pretty good just started watching it. The music though completely out of place and not very good
View Quote

Music? The tunes the soldiers were signing?

You mean the score? The score is just sound to illicit an emotion.
I think you got the point though, was supposed to make it seem so surreal and UNnatural.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I thought it was a good movie with a high realism factor introducing elements I hadn't seen in previous WW1 movies. Very depressing, but any war movie that isn't depressing is a fairytale.  

What I gathered from reading this thread:
-- A lot of ADD and inability to comprehend a storyline.  "Need non-stop action!"
-- "It wasn't EXACTLY like the 94 year old book Ive never read. Fuck this garbage!"
-- "The ominous background sounds [not music] aren't period correct for 1917 Silent Films. Needs more Player Piano!"

View Quote

Not surprisingly, few of the folks here know how to watch a film.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 10:33:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I wasn't so much referring to that, but people screaming/running after taking a direct blast of flame. It would suck the air out of you, you would be DRT.

Most killed by flamethrowers were killed by carbon monoxide, basically go to sleep without any burns at all.
View Quote

That is strangely reassuring, thank you.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 10:57:26 PM EDT
[#23]
An older but truly Great WW1 movie is Stanley Kubrick's "Paths Of Glory" with Kirk Douglas.  From the 50's & shot in B&W.

It is set in the French Army in the Western Front of WW1.

Combines some bloody combat + courtroom drama resulting from that bloody combat.

Bigger_Hammer

Link Posted: 10/31/2022 11:08:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Restarted it tonight. Trick or treaters are getting less and less. Watching it in German.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 11:48:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I wasn't so much referring to that, but people screaming/running after taking a direct blast of flame. It would suck the air out of you, you would be DRT.

Most killed by flamethrowers were killed by carbon monoxide, basically go to sleep without any burns at all.
View Quote

My dad was on a flamethrower team in the Pacific with the 2nd Marines. What little he talked about seemed to indicate he still had visions of Japanese soldiers instantly burned to a crisp in many cases.

As an aside, dad said they called the jellied fuel glop.

As another aside, my grandfather fought in WW1. Got mildly gassed in a mustard gas attack. Messed his lungs up for life.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 12:14:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Wasn't that same ominous sound used in a Futurama episode?
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 8:18:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I watched today while I was working. An advantage of having 3 screens. It kept my interest for the whole 2 hours, instead of fast forwarding through like I do with most movies. I think the movie was supposed to show the stupiduty of most soldiers, mindlessly following commands. Launching an assault with 15 minutes to go before the armistice to take affect, really, who would do that? I was never in the military so my mindset does not think that way. The music did not fit the movie. I kept wanting to watch the wrath of man again for the 3rd or 4th time.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 9:39:24 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm not sure which movie was better, this or 1917. This one really pulled you in to the story and the main character, but 1917 had some sequences and shots that were absolutely incredible, like the last ten minutes or so when he reaches the front line trench. It's one of the best sequences I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#30]
I thought it was a decent WW1 movie with lots of G98 action. When that general ordered them to do that last attack I was waiting for him to be shot by his own men. They missed an opportunity there.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Watched in German with subs.
Music made it seem like a guy ritchie film.

Woulda killed the farm boy.  Woulda killed the occifer and his crew for going back to the lines with 30 minutes to spare.  But, as the war was, old guys didn't fight, they just sent others to die.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 10:19:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I just finished watching the part with the tanks and the flamethrowers...

The wheels of one of those tanks look strangely like the road wheels on a BMP. I wonder if that was the base vehicle
View Quote

Pretty good recreation of a Saint Chamond tank
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 10:31:47 PM EDT
[#33]
If it were a stand alone it might be better receiver. Being stacked up against two prior versions it's 3rd place
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 10:35:56 PM EDT
[#34]
For anyone interested, Youtube Movies has the full 1979 version for free:

All Quiet On The Western Front
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 10:39:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

As the Kaiser began to run out of able bodied men late into the war soft drafts began in schools.  There was an infamous offensive where tens of thousands of 17-20 year old kids died for no real military objective.  seeing the next generation slaughtered turned public sentiment against the war.  I believe that loss of life and corresponding will essentially stopped German offensive operations.

Horribly sad.  Movie made my stomach churn.  In all human history there’s never been such a singular place where men went to die.
View Quote

For the profit of other men.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 10:42:32 PM EDT
[#36]
A few years back I was reading some of my Wife's genealogy.  One of her relatives was over there.
He talked about going out on patrol in no man's land at night.

He said when they bumped into another patrol they would immediately go to the dirt and start feeling for the boots of the people they ran into. The Germans had Hobnail boots.

He also said he tried to be the first to search a dead German because they always had Honey and fresh Tomatoes in their mess kits.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 10:49:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Was it just me or was there a lot emphasis on eating. Not just the soldiers but the politicians too.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 10:51:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Watched it last night and really enjoyed it.  Had to pull the tank scene up again today on youtube and watch it a few more times!  WOW!

I've not read the books or seen the original version.  I had a hard time understanding who was who.  So I'm asking...who was who?  The boys it followed were Germans?  The signers of the armistice, the nicer, normal dressed was representing what country?  Sorry to be so dumb, but I never really understood.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I watched today while I was working. An advantage of having 3 screens. It kept my interest for the whole 2 hours, instead of fast forwarding through like I do with most movies. I think the movie was supposed to show the stupiduty of most soldiers, mindlessly following commands. Launching an assault with 15 minutes to go before the armistice to take affect, really, who would do that? I was never in the military so my mindset does not think that way. The music did not fit the movie. I kept wanting to watch the wrath of man again for the 3rd or 4th time.
View Quote

I suggest you look up the Great War channels episode for November 11th... they did a fascinating job of showing the gravity of that day. They went into why there's fighting right up to the end.
Armistice - But Peace? I THE GREAT WAR Week 225
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 10:59:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Watched it last night and really enjoyed it.  Had to pull the tank scene up again today on youtube and watch it a few more times!  WOW!

I've not read the books or seen the original version.  I had a hard time understanding who was who.  So I'm asking...who was who?  The boys it followed were Germans?  The signers of the armistice, the nicer, normal dressed was representing what country?  Sorry to be so dumb, but I never really understood.
View Quote

The book and movies are based on German perspectives.  Paul and co, were German kids, as well as armistice guys were German.  

If you've ever seen Letters from Iwo Jima, it's the same kind of story.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 12:32:12 AM EDT
[#41]
From a realism perspective, the one thing that stood out to me (besides the total lack of recoil in the guns) was the lack of any artillery preparation for the assaults. We see one real scene of an artillery attack that’s over pretty fast…there should have been a lot more.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 1:28:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Was it just me or was there a lot emphasis on eating. Not just the soldiers but the politicians too.
View Quote

It’s a luxury of the living.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 1:39:32 AM EDT
[#43]
I just got done watching it, really well done. Grate flic
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 1:40:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Great movie. Watched it the other night.

Being a German speaker another interesting thing about the movie was how many of the soldiers had different dialects giving the watcher a insight on their background.
I am going to purchase it for my collection.

View Quote

I haven't seen the movie, but historically speaking, there should be very few, if any, dialect variations in a WW1 Imperial German unit, especially below regimental level.  Even more so than the British, the Germans were very emphatic that men from the same region served together.  Technically, the "German" Army in WW1 actually consisted of the Prussian Army, and a surprisingly large number of state armies that definitely maintained their regional character all the way to the end of the war.  Even within the Prussian units, it would be very rare to find, for example, an Alsatian or Pommeranian in a unit based in Brandenburg.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 1:43:27 AM EDT
[#45]
I just watched All Quiet on the Western Front and it was GRITTY. If you liked the film, you have to watch the Russian WWII film, “Come and See.” It’s better and even gritter if you can believe it. There us a scene where an entire village is burned alive in a barn.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 1:44:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Can someone give me some context? Were these kids from an ROTC highschool or was this a last ditch draft?
View Quote

In the book the main characters were volunteers from a university with no prior military experience, for dramatic reasons.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 1:45:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I still can't help but wonder.   Of the million's dead how many brilliant minds could have perhaps cured cancer, created something great for the world but instead were snuffed out in a muddy trench for no real reason.
View Quote

I often think the same thing.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 2:22:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

As the Kaiser began to run out of able bodied men late into the war soft drafts began in schools.  There was an infamous offensive where tens of thousands of 17-20 year old kids died for no real military objective.  seeing the next generation slaughtered turned public sentiment against the war.  I believe that loss of life and corresponding will essentially stopped German offensive operations.

Horribly sad.  Movie made my stomach churn.  In all human history there’s never been such a singular place where men went to die.
View Quote

That actually happened at the very beginning of the war - Kindermord von Langemarck.  The Nazis later named an SS formation "Langemarck" after the battle.  Also, German "public sentiment" never really turned against the war, and the Germans launched a strategic offensive in early 1918 that nearly succeeded.  The only reason the Allies didn't have to fight across the Rhine is that the Prussian Army demanded an end to the war before the inevitable destruction on the battlefield.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 2:35:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Imagine still having Netflix in 2022

@Ryan_Ruck
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top