Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 12:25:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I’m aware. I’m a purple belt in BJJ, I’ve been training MMA for 6 years now.

Andre the Giant was 7’4” 540lbs. Size and weight absolutely matters.
View Quote

This. Thank you for bringing experience and logic to this. Andres size and strength would still give him a big edge over an experienced fighter trying to use submissions. A black belt would have very few moves that would work on Andre. That’s just facts. His size is a serious obstacle to overcome.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 12:28:54 AM EDT
[#2]
First of all, WWF is fucking fake, so they dance and do not fight.

Most mma heavyweights could kick his ass if it came to it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 12:31:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Andre was a professional wrestling “actor” with less training that the early UFC competitors. He wouldn’t have made it to the finals of UFC 1
View Quote

Lol. Ok. If you think Gracie would slap a arm bar on him go ahead and keep thinking that. The thread title says no rules. That means Andre could grab a guy and fall on them and just lay there and smash them. Go find a Harley and lay down and let a buddy push it on top of you and let me know how it feels. That is what an opponent would feel. I’m sure someone could knock Andre out. But it ain’t 9 out of 10 doing it. Heavyweight pro fighters could stand with him. 170 pound men would not.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 12:37:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Lol. Ok. If you think Gracie would slap a arm bar on him go ahead and keep thinking that. The thread title says no rules. That means Andre could grab a guy and fall on them and just lay there and smash them. Go find a Harley and lay down and let a buddy push it on top of you and let me know how it feels. That is what an opponent would feel. I’m sure someone could knock Andre out. But it ain’t 9 out of 10 doing it. Heavyweight pro fighters could stand with him. 170 pound men would not.
View Quote

Gracie defeated a 484 pound sumo champion
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 12:46:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Gracie defeated a 484 pound sumo champion
View Quote

Yes I know. Akebono fell on Gracie but then let him back up. His strength was not on the same level as andre. And again, no rules. Have you ever used jujitsu on someone that bites you? Gouges your eye? Grabs your groin? That makes submissions a bit tougher to pull off.  Andre at 550 pounds falls on someone and takes his very large hands and proceeds to strangle them. What is the move for that? I am talking no rules. In a modern day ufc, yes, Andre would lose 9 out 10 to the heavyweights he would have to face.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 12:49:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes I know. Akebono fell on Gracie but then let him back up. His strength was not on the same level as andre. And again, no rules. Have you ever used jujitsu on someone that bites you? Gouges your eye? Grabs your groin? That makes submissions a bit tougher to pull off.  Andre at 550 pounds falls on someone and takes his very large hands and proceeds to strangle them. What is the move for that? I am talking no rules. In a modern day ufc, yes, Andre would lose 9 out 10 to the heavyweights he would have to face.
View Quote

The counter move for that in a no rules fight is gouging eyeballs clean out of the skull.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Andre the Giant:

Gladiator 33 They say you can crush a man's skull with one hand a man's head no a boy's...

except forget the part of being limited to "a boy's."
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#8]
If Andre would get a hold of someone he would definately overpower them and use his weight/size to his advantage but at the "UFC" level mma he wouldn't be given the chance to make that happen.
An example of this would be an old fight with Ruas vs Varelans, at some point size become a disadvantage:

Marco ruas vs paul varelans ufc

Probably 6 or 7 years ago, I got to train with someone who was 6'8'' and 460 lbs...He was definately a handfull, but the strategy was to keep it moving.
Me in black 6'0 and 300 lbs - him in white 6'8 and 460 lbs:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 4:58:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Fedor and Cro Cop in their prime days would beat him, Id imagine pretty bad too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#10]
taggish

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Ask Hulk about getting his oil checked from Andre.  There is your answer.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

True but how many can hold their choke hold when he and his 520 pounds fall back on you.
View Quote

Or use the technique my VERY large friend used to do when he got into a fight...He would give whoever wanted to fight with him a bear hug and dive for the ground landing on top of them.  He said the technique was crude but VERY effective...he said it often sounded like stepping on a bag of potato chips with all the cracking and crunching.  I had never thought of that technique before, but having 400-450 pounds landing HARD on top of me wouldn't be any fun at all.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Andre The Giant | Best Moments
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yeah they were. Because he was 50 beers deep and they didn’t know if he would be able to perform, or just crush them.

Wrestling is fake. Sorry to break it to some of you…..  Goldberg was hated because he allegedly thought it was real, and actually hurt a lot of people…..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think an MMA fighter would have near as easy time as some of you think.  Andre trained as a professional wrestler in Paris before someone saw him and introduced him to TV wrasslin.
Also, his brute strength was legendary, everyone, even the big guys were nervous being in the ring with him.

Yeah they were. Because he was 50 beers deep and they didn’t know if he would be able to perform, or just crush them.

Wrestling is fake. Sorry to break it to some of you…..  Goldberg was hated because he allegedly thought it was real, and actually hurt a lot of people…..

Goldberg didn’t think it was real, he hurt people because he was unskilled.

There are plenty of super tough guy wrestlers. They all were scared of Andre.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:01:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Fedor Emelianenko vs Hong Man Choi

Hong Man Choi was 7'2" and over 400lbs
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#16]
A lot of people here don't understand how strong that man was... This was not just your run of the mill "big guy".

In his prime (before back issues) if he got a hand on you, you were done.

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Andre versus the Mountain? ??

Quoted:

View Quote

Wilt was an incredible athlete himself who used to bring a duffle bag of weights so he could do curls while playing poker.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i0iZcLIrTQ

Hong Man Choi was 7'2" and over 400lbs
View Quote

Fedor was one of the best ever. He probably would have a good chance, the average fighter, much less so.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Fedor and Cro Cop in their prime days would beat him, Id imagine pretty bad too.
View Quote

Yeah, you guys act like this sort of thing has never been done.   Google Fedor Vs. giant.   I bet you’ll find a few good fights.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#20]
A couple of Jon Jones calf kicks and oblique kicks would have him tapping out due to strikes.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#21]
By all accounts, Fedor was ridiculously Strong, fast, and skilled.    An average fighter would get murdered.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I've sparred big dudes. I'm 5'11 190, one guy was 6'8" round 400, my knees wouldn't touch the ground in mount lol. Everything is far more difficult but all you have to do is stay alive until they cardio out which is usually pretty quick.

My kick game is weak, that would definitely make a difference. Someone like Cro Cop would chop him down quickly I do believe.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hey Opp, didn't we already go through this with Brock Lesnar?

Exactly. A skilled middle weight would piece him up, let alone a heavy weight. Andre was awesome at what he did but he was slow and lived in pain. Brute force doesn't always prevail when you're fighting skill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Hey Opp, didn't we already go through this with Brock Lesnar?

Quoted:
In this thread we learn who doesn’t understand combat sports. I think it’s safe to say that 9/10 guys in the UFC would murder him with the 1/10 being just one off lucky shots or situations where he got on top and smother tapped someone. Realistically the dude was just big, not skilled, which only gets you so far. It’s like everyone forgets what happened in the early days of mma when there were no weight classes and virtually no rules.

Exactly. A skilled middle weight would piece him up, let alone a heavy weight. Andre was awesome at what he did but he was slow and lived in pain. Brute force doesn't always prevail when you're fighting skill.

And yet it only takes one misstep and you’re done.

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
He'd be interesting, that's for sure.

Usually big slow guys don't do well in MMA.  He could be an edge case where sheer physicality could make up for a lot, but the truth is a rear naked choke would take him down as easily as anyone else.
View Quote

And someone like Ngannou would knock his block off.

Even someone like Overeem in his HGH/Test/"whatever he was on" days would likely knock his block off, and Overeem had HIS block knocked off by Ngannou (surprised he didn't have a neck injury from the way his head snapped back from that uppercut).
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

True but how many can hold their choke hold when he and his 520 pounds fall back on you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He'd be interesting, that's for sure.

Usually big slow guys don't do well in MMA.  He could be an edge case where sheer physicality could make up for a lot, but the truth is a rear naked choke would take him down as easily as anyone else.

A) it's not difficult for experienced grapplers to take down slow opponents double their size.

B) big slow opponents take a relatively helluva long time to get up, leaving them open to chokes.

No one with any intelligence is gonna try to Dread Pirate Roberts the guy.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 8:10:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A lot of people here don't understand how strong that man was... This was not just your run of the mill "big guy".

In his prime (before back issues) if he got a hand on you, you were done.

View Quote
Yeah. Andre was legendarily strong. Not just strong because he was big, even strong for his size. I'm sure there's some embellishment out there, but the stories of him just rag dolling very large and strong men are numerous.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
All it would take is just for him to grab his apponent. It would be all over then. All that dancing and throwing punches and kicks does you no good when he grabs you or hits you ONCE.
View Quote

Bob Sapp was a beast. 6'5" and 350lbs of steroid enhanced muscle and generally faster than Andre. Still got the crap kicked out of him by all the top K-1 fighters.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 8:15:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I was in St Louis airport in 1982 heading back to the ROK. Weird flight….was in the terminal at about 0300 and Andre was there with me. He wasn't going to Korea but was checking in also.

It's hard to describe how massive that dude was. He had a full size pullman in his hand that I thought was a briefcase….
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Yesterday: How GD would kill elk with .223

Today: how GD would beat Andre The Giant in a no-rules fight.

Never change GD.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 8:33:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Size does not always equal power. Emmanuel Yarbrough  was the largest athlete ever to compete in MMA, and his first bout was more or less David vs. Goliath. Keith Hackney, roughly one third his size, broke his hand trying to hit him, and even though he won it looked like he was trying to beat up a pile of bricks like in Street Fighter II.

I would love to see it, but I wouldn't make any predictions.
View Quote

I don't think folks get the picture. Better roll the tape..

UFC 3: Keith Hackney vs. Emmanuel Yarborough (1994-09-09)
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#32]
If I recall some reports he had a real bad temper and really hurt, quite easily, a number of other wrestlers who pissed him off.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#33]
no rules. thats not mma. no rules means anything goes. smaller person mma trained, if he can stay away, take out andre's knees he has a chance. if andre is able to get a hold of the guy, all bets are off. no rules means you can gouge out their eyes, grab their balls, who knows..

Link Posted: 7/25/2023 12:33:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Bob Sapp was a beast. 6'5" and 350lbs of steroid enhanced muscle and generally faster than Andre. Still got the crap kicked out of him by all the top K-1 fighters.
View Quote

Sapp was a pussy. He was a freak show, so Japan exploited him because of it, he had no business in a ring or cage.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Sapp was a pussy. He was a freak show, so Japan exploited him because of it, he had no business in a ring or cage.
View Quote

Sapp clearly didn't give a shit about his reputation or winning but I'd imagine he probably made more money taking those dives than he would have made if he'd used his limited skill set to actually compete.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Andre the Giant VS. Sean Hannity  ??  Could have been a heck of a match.  

In case you didn't know, Sean is skilled in MMA and trains every day.    He utters "Oosh'" at every mention of his that, so please internally 'hear' that now.

He is also an expert marksman and has been around firearms sine an early age.

Link Posted: 7/25/2023 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Sapp clearly didn't give a shit about his reputation or winning but I'd imagine he probably made more money taking those dives than he would have made if he'd used his limited skill set to actually compete.
View Quote

Cant argue that. Dude couldnt take a punch to save his life. I dont think they were dives (though in Japan, def possible) more he just gave up after a couple good punches thrown his way.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Lol, GD also thought Ronda Rousey could take Floyd Mayweather until she got knocked the fuck out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm surprised no one has suggested that Bruce Lee would take him.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 1:55:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Andre the giant was nephilim class.  No fucking way I'm going toe to toe with a man that damned big

Link Posted: 7/25/2023 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

WOW!

Sapp lost a lot but he fought the best the fighters in the world at the time.

He beat Ernesto Hoost (the Michael Jordan of kickboxing) twice.

He lost to guys like Crocop, Big Nog, Bonjasky, Sefo... But he got in the ring with straight killers. He lost a shit ton but to call the man a pussy.... ?!?
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 1:58:54 PM EDT
[#42]
I’d love to see some little 140# dude vs a guy that big
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
In this thread we learn who doesn't understand combat sports. I think it's safe to say that 9/10 guys in the UFC would murder him with the 1/10 being just one off lucky shots or situations where he got on top and smother tapped someone. Realistically the dude was just big, not skilled, which only gets you so far. It's like everyone forgets what happened in the early days of mma when there were no weight classes and virtually no rules.
View Quote
It would be like if untrained me at 45 went into a 2nd grade to pick a cage match.  Yeah, I'd be slower and older, and heavier and stronger with longer reach and there would be nowhere for them to run and I could toss them like ragdolls.  I could soak up whatever they threw at me and dish it back in ways that would maim them in short order.

It's one thing to fight a guy 50 or 100# heavier when you are more evenly matched for size and reach.  I know it's not exactly Fingolfin vs. Morgoth, but the guy doesn't just outweigh you 100# either.  Probably more like 300# and with a reach and strength to match.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#44]
LOL at this thread. In this thread we see who has never been in or seen a street fight (~ 10 second long IME)

Andre before he was crippled would crush most of them like a grape.
Dont take my word for it, go ask some tier 1 MMA fighters.
It would just be tough to fight a bulldozer.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 2:09:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I dont think they were dives (though in Japan, def possible)
View Quote

Possible?

Link Posted: 7/25/2023 2:11:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
In this thread we learn who doesn’t understand combat sports. I think it’s safe to say that 9/10 guys in the UFC would murder him with the 1/10 being just one off lucky shots or situations where he got on top and smother tapped someone. Realistically the dude was just big, not skilled, which only gets you so far. It’s like everyone forgets what happened in the early days of mma when there were no weight classes and virtually no rules.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My strategy would be: don't get hit, chop him down like a tree ...

The ground game I'd play by ear but honestly I'd rather gtfo of there. Pissed off giant!
View Quote

My strategy would be a 14-gallon Keg of St Arnolds Oktoberfest and 12 Giant meat lovers pizza.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

My strategy would be a 14-gallon Keg of St Arnolds Oktoberfest and 12 Giant meat lovers pizza.
View Quote
And after his has his snack?
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 3:16:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I remember some gigantic black sumo sized dude got his teeth kicked across the mat by Gracie I believe.  He had at least 200 lbs on Gracie and still got his ass kicked.  I think if ATG got a hold of one of the skilled fighters with a smothering bear hug they'd be in trouble, but they should really dominate ATG  with speed and talent.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#50]
In real life Macho Man would have annihilated him,  oh yeah. He would have destroyed him brother, yeah. And if you don't think that, you're crazy, oh yeah. I'll tell you brothers this much,  Macho Man would have brought death and destruction to Andre and all the other pretenders that think they could have wore his belt, oh yeah.  Ricky Steamboat, if your out there listening brother, the Macho Man is still coming for you brother, oh yeah.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top