Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:18:10 AM EDT
[#1]
The smoke has been horrible here the last few days, I can barely see the mountain that's 3 miles away from my house.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:30:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Lets be real.

Canada is mostly forests, and has a shit ton of wilderness/lakes. The entire country has less people than California. Like how certain parts of Alaska are remote. Guess how much of Canada is remote wilderness?

How the fuck are they supposed to manage all of that lmao?

Forest fires are natural, and with that much land mass it is bound to happen.

It actually benefits some plants/trees and helps get rid of some invasive plant species imo.
View Quote

Well.... they sure could have "managed " the Banff fire different .

Seriously though, there are ways of improving fire seasons but they include logging , clear-cuts ,road building and investment in fire management.

Improving the situation does not fit the climate terrorist narrative.

Like everything else we've managed well for a 100 years we no longer seem to know how .
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:36:54 AM EDT
[#4]

A hurricane over south-central Canada that blew in from Hudson Bay?
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Siberia's been seeing really bad record breaking wildfires in recent years too.  

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#6]
When you decrease control burns & disallow tree cutting & brush clearing, like in California.......

Nature will take care of it for you.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There's a price to pay for several decades of mismanaged forest. When I was a kid they'd log, then burn the slash in the rainy season. Eliminated fuel load and made it easier to replant. Now they'll pile it up when the ground is flat enough to use the equipment, steep slopes it all just sits there.
Get off a trail or road and take a walk through the woods, stop and dig down. There's 9-12" of fuel on the ground before you get to dirt.
A healthy fire will never "crown" (get into the branches of the tree and burn the whole tree), or rarely, these days they all do due to the high fuel loads.
View Quote

A healthy forest has a canopy of mature trees shading the ground and limiting undergrowth with occasional breaks when trees come down and open up a space for sequential growth to happen in a limited area, it has heavy forest duff, rotting wood and debris on the forest floor that retains water and lots of water stored in the trees. A fire goes through a forest it leaves most of those mature trees and soils intact.

A tree farm that's been cut three or four times has many more trees per acre with way more surface area per ton of biomass, all sorts of understory overgrowth/dieback from periodic harvesting, little to no organic soil or broken down material to retain water and a blanket of fresh limbs and needles over bare soil with much less biological activity breaking them down, fungi like wet shady places high in organic material, everything about forestry slows them down. The water retention capacity of a tree farm is a small fraction of an old forest. The west has low humidity in the summer so there's almost no dew, so when it doesn't rain in the summer everything gets REALLY dry.

Shit's going to burn worse than it used to. Add in recent drought and heat domes and we're going to have bad fire seasons. Whether fuel reduction is better long term than leaving the organic material to degrade is debatable, it depends on how soon the fire arrives. The best method is probably forestry mulching the slash, but that's a relatively new and expensive technology.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yep...they've done it in WA and now in Canada. I'm sitting on the deck right now looking out at the haze across the lake, and it's pissing me off. They need to run these people down and start giving them stiff prison sentences for this idiocy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eco Terrorists.

Yep...they've done it in WA and now in Canada. I'm sitting on the deck right now looking out at the haze across the lake, and it's pissing me off. They need to run these people down and start giving them stiff prison sentences for this idiocy.

It’s even worse up here on Lake Rosevelt.

I do believe Canada has shifted their policy on fighting the fires. They just let them burn unless they are threatening populated areas. Which, might actually be good for the long term, but sucks those big brown boogers until then.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
'Heard in BC it's not careless the careless campers who are to blame, its...

1. Dry lightning
2. The railroad. (sparks?)
3. Arson committed by a certain demographic to generate revenue for said certain demographic.
View Quote

This. It does tend to happen around a certain time with big tacos, fry bread, sweat lodges and a bunch of interesting dancing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#10]
It's crazy.

Every.  Fucking.  Year.

Today the wind shifted so we can actually see and breathe.  That's nice.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#11]
The problem with humans is our inability to remember the past

Politicians and clergy capitalize on this deficiency

There is nothing new, only new to you...

New England's "Dark Day." May 19, 1780
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Too many wind turbines pointed north, blowing excessive air toeatd Canada, adding oxygen to flammable materials. After that, one asshole driving down the road throwing a couple cigarette butts out his window and instant wildfire.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 1:02:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Think of all fire fighters and equipment we could have bought with all the Ukrainian money we wasted.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well.... they sure could have "managed " the Banff fire different .

Seriously though, there are ways of improving fire seasons but they include logging , clear-cuts ,road building and investment in fire management.

Improving the situation does not fit the climate terrorist narrative.

Like everything else we've managed well for a 100 years we no longer seem to know how .
View Quote
Hard to fight forest fires on tundra/muskeg.
Plus with all the water ways.

Ground is to soft spring through fall.

That is why Canada and parts of Alaska log during winter.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Too many wind turbines pointed north, blowing excessive air toeatd Canada, adding oxygen to flammable materials. After that, one asshole driving down the road throwing a couple cigarette butts out his window and instant wildfire.
View Quote

I like this explanation for a variety of reasons.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 1:44:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPQz9FpdOrw
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPQz9FpdOrw

I've seen some of that guy's videos before, that was very interesting, thank you.

Quoted:
Hard to fight forest fires on tundra/muskeg.
Plus with all the water ways.

Ground is to soft spring through fall.

That is why Canada and parts of Alaska log during winter.

Is this at all comparable to the Rasputitsa, the season of mud, in Eastern Europe during spring and fall, when it's difficult to move around?  I thought tundra is permanently frozen, and would be easy enough to move over year round, but maybe it isn't.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've seen some of that guy's videos before, that was very interesting, thank you.

Is this at all comparable to the Rasputitsa, the season of mud, in Eastern Europe during spring and fall, when it's difficult to move around?  I thought tundra is permanently frozen, and would be easy enough to move over year round, but maybe it isn't.
View Quote
Tundra is frozen all year round but the first two to three feet are soft/boggy.
When you scrap the insulating top layer off it melts pretty damn quick.

Like walking on a giant sponge.
Sometimes there are very soft spots that a person can dissappear through.

I am not to familiar with Eastern Europe land.

Best time to move around on tundra/muskeg is when it is frozen.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have never been in it/near it personally, only seen photos of it and read about it.  It stopped Hitler's army as it was advancing on Moscow and further east into the USSR in the 1940s, may have played a part in stopping Napolean's attack, and is a factor that any force fighting in that part of the world needs to consider to this day.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 5:05:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have never been in it/near it personally, only seen photos of it and read about it.  It stopped Hitler's army as it was advancing on Moscow and further east into the USSR in the 1940s, may have played a part in stopping Napolean's attack, and is a factor that any force fighting in that part of the world needs to consider to this day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tundra is much worse.

Look at what had to be done when the AL-Can highway was built.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Tundra is much worse.

Look at what had to be done when the AL-Can highway was built.
View Quote

I vaguely recalled hearing about that in some documentary I probably saw on the history channel many many years ago.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#21]
The smoke has been terrible here in CO.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#22]
How much CO2 have they released?  How much more than all the engines in North America?  Canada should be banned.

My corn is behind average, low temps and lack of sunshine.  Who do I sue?
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Alberta recently in like 2019 gutted their Wildland firefighter programs - there’s only like 200 of them for the entire province vs say the probably nearly 1000 full time Wildland firefighters in say Washington alone.

But it’s got a ton of factors to why stuff like this keeps happening.

Forests since 1910 have had fire suppressed and been logged and the forest ecosystem has been changed - This creates all sorts of problems one of them being a changed for the worse fire intensity when a wildfire happens.

Canada like Alaska has a lot of uninhabited swampland of black spruce - typically they use “Box tactics” on these types of fires and let them do whatever on the landscape naturally vs risking life to put them out when they aren’t harming anything or putting the public at risk, letting them burn to natural barriers or man made firebreaks in defendable spots - this usually works out but puts a lot of smoke into the air.

Another factor is people are getting stupider and human starts are like 90% the cause of all uncontrolled wildfires, either idiots leaving campfires unattended or building beautiful “Wilderness forest” homes in the chaparral of Southern California with no defendable space if a wildfire starts and wind blows it through sub division after sub division after neighbor Dave hits a rock with his lawn mower and sparks a grassfire in his yard.

And finally I’m not a climate change, eat the bugs to stop the weather retard, but drought conditions, changing in weather patterns (I.E. more thunderstorms), and fuel loading (I.E. Pine Beatles killing everything) all play a huge part in having these massive wildfires.

The rare ones are going to be escaped controlled burns, arson, and the who knows? Ones. But still not exactly entirely uncommon.

> Career wildland firefighter.

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Alberta recently in like 2019 gutted their Wildland firefighter programs - there’s only like 200 of them for the entire province vs say the probably nearly 1000 full time Wildland firefighters in say Washington alone.

But it’s got a ton of factors to why stuff like this keeps happening.

Forests since 1910 have had fire suppressed and been logged and the forest ecosystem has been changed - This creates all sorts of problems one of them being a changed for the worse fire intensity when a wildfire happens.

Canada like Alaska has a lot of uninhabited swampland of black spruce - typically they use “Box tactics” on these types of fires and let them do whatever on the landscape naturally vs risking life to put them out when they aren’t harming anything or putting the public at risk, letting them burn to natural barriers or man made firebreaks in defendable spots - this usually works out but puts a lot of smoke into the air.

Another factor is people are getting stupider and human starts are like 90% the cause of all uncontrolled wildfires, either idiots leaving campfires unattended or building beautiful “Wilderness forest” homes in the chaparral of Southern California with no defendable space if a wildfire starts and wind blows it through sub division after sub division after neighbor Dave hits a rock with his lawn mower and sparks a grassfire in his yard.

And finally I’m not a climate change, eat the bugs to stop the weather retard, but drought conditions, changing in weather patterns (I.E. more thunderstorms), and fuel loading (I.E. Pine Beatles killing everything) all play a huge part in having these massive wildfires.

The rare ones are going to be escaped controlled burns, arson, and the who knows? Ones. But still not exactly entirely uncommon.

> Career wildland firefighter.

View Quote

100% on all of this, especially the bolded part.

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll say it, these fires in recent years seem to disproportionately effect areas of the country that Ottawa doesn't like.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'll say it, these fires in recent years seem to disproportionately effect areas of the coountry that Ottawa doesn't like.
View Quote

Those bastards!
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#27]
You get smoke, we get millions of illegals.
We all have our troubles OP.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You get smoke, we get millions of illegals.
We all have our troubles OP.
View Quote

Word.
I am glad I can share these tribulations through GD
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 7:33:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 7:36:37 PM EDT
[#30]
It’s fucking bad all the way down here in Wyoming, can’t see the mountains from 5 miles away… this is going to be a shitty summer…
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Fuck Canada, why don't you have them take Willie Nelson op?
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Of course, CNN says it is climate change..

Millions of acres scorched by wildfires in the Western US and Canada   an area roughly the size of South Carolina   can be traced back to carbon pollution from the world's largest fossil fuel and cement companies, scientists reported Tuesday.

The study by the Union of Concerned Scientists, published in the journal Environmental Research Letters, found that 37% of the area burned by wildfires in the West since 1986   nearly 19.8 million acres out of 53 million   can be blamed on the planet-cooking pollution from 88 of the world's major fossil fuel producers and cement manufacturers, the latter of which have been shown to produce around 7% of all carbon dioxide emissions.

The amalgam of megadrought and record-breaking heat that's drying out vegetation due to climate change has stoked the West's wildfires. And researchers found that since 1901, the fossil fuel activities of these companies, including ExxonMobil and BP, among others, warmed the planet by 0.5 degrees Celsius   nearly half of the global increase during that period.
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 8:16:45 PM EDT
[#33]
I was brutal here the end of last week...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They're blaming Climate Change™ for this one because blaming the real culprits would be...well, yaknow...

https://freebeacon.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/fire-lady-main.jpg
View Quote

I need a link to her OnlyFans page.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:01:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Fuck Canada, why don't you have them take Willie Nelson op?
View Quote

Wait.  I can do that ?
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Fire is good for the forest. We need to let more remote fires simply burn.

Fire clears out old growth, underbrush that chokes the forest floor, and allows new growth to take place which is very beneficial to wildlife.

I try to explain this to people in the PNW and they look at me like I'm insane - "let a fire.... just burn?"  Yeah, I mean that's what forest fires do. They don't burn forever.

You can't believe how many people don't even know that there are some species of trees and shrubs whose seeds only germinate in the aftermath of a fire. They actually require exposure to high temperatures to begin the process.

People know nothing about the forest, but they sure love to build houses in them and then demand that their home be saved
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:21:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Pine beetles are killing the trees in the West.

When I camped in Canada several years ago, the provincial parks were providing free camp wood for the sites. They wanted campers to burn all the dead pine they were taking down.

Beetles are ravaging the pines there and you could see many dead trees everywhere.

Add a touch of climate change, and you're off to the races.
View Quote

Spoken like a true npc.

Explain to the class how pine beetles are able to overwhelm a  tree's defenses, in the context of stand dynamics and plant available water.

Then describe in a single sentence the 100 year history of stand dynamics in North America.

I swear, "climate change" is the lowest IQ answer one can give for this problem.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#38]
The native Indians in Alberta are pissed because there is an election for Premier coming up in 8 days and the leading candidate is campaigning on a platform that seriously cuts off the .gov cheese to them because she figures that they should work for it instead of them  sitting on their asses collecting it and selling drugs as a side hustle.

The Communist NDP is so low in the polls that they are financing eco terrorists to set fires and create turmoil to try to sway the vote, and the first recruits they go after are the ones that scream constantly for the cheese.
She (Notley) has been focusing on that demographic and getting them so riled up that they turn in to arsonists for gas/drug money because they are promised a payday if she wins.

If she doesn't win they are fucked, and so is she.

As a born Albertan, I have NEVER seen brush/forest fires so early in the year, and nobody else has.
This is a unnatural event. And everybody there knows it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Forests burn. It's what they do. They've been cleansed and renewed by fire ever since there were trees.

God will put it out when it needs putting out.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The native Indians in Alberta are pissed because there is an election for Premier coming up in 8 days and the leading candidate is campaigning on a platform that seriously cuts off the .gov cheese to them because she figures that they should work for it instead of them  sitting on their asses collecting it and selling drugs as a side hustle.

The Communist NDP is so low in the polls that they are financing eco terrorists to set fires and create turmoil to try to sway the vote, and the first recruits they go after are the ones that scream constantly for the cheese.
She (Notley) has been focusing on that demographic and getting them so riled up that they turn in to arsonists for gas/drug money because they are promised a payday if she wins.

If she doesn't win they are fucked, and so is she.

As a born Albertan, I have NEVER seen brush/forest fires so early in the year, and nobody else has.
This is a unnatural event. And everybody there knows it.
View Quote

All of the west coast fires in the last few years were lit or accelerated by well funded commie agents. Inside the fire community and out.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:42:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

All of the west coast fires in the last few years were lit or accelerated by well funded commie agents. Inside the fire community and out.
View Quote

It's not even a question any more.
There are reports of arrests in Alberta but the *cough* media is trying to keep a lid on it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Isn't this early in the year for fires?  I heard of very good snow pack and this is rain season. Just don't remember hearing about western fires in May.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Isn't this early in the year for fires?  I heard of very good snow pack and this is rain season. Just don't remember hearing about western fires in May.
View Quote

May is early for both Canada and the U.S.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Wait.  I can do that ?
View Quote

Only 1 way to find out
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 4:01:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Fire is good for the forest. We need to let more remote fires simply burn.

Fire clears out old growth, underbrush that chokes the forest floor, and allows new growth to take place which is very beneficial to wildlife.

I try to explain this to people in the PNW and they look at me like I'm insane - "let a fire.... just burn?"  Yeah, I mean that's what forest fires do. They don't burn forever.

You can't believe how many people don't even know that there are some species of trees and shrubs whose seeds only germinate in the aftermath of a fire. They actually require exposure to high temperatures to begin the process.

People know nothing about the forest, but they sure love to build houses in them and then demand that their home be saved
View Quote
Only problem is when the fires get so hot they sterilize the ground.

So much material has built up on the forest floors they burn super hot.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 6:00:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I used to chalk it up to poor forest management.
Too much underbrush from years of no fires leading to huge fires now.
I think that is a factor, but it cannot be the whole story.
Educate me, please.
View Quote

It is the whole story.
Smokey Bear was the worst thing to ever happen.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Buffalo is hazy from it. somewhat noticeable at ground level where the sky looked kind of overcast and crazy sunset but from the high rise office building I work in the haze was really evident as the normal horizon view was very obscured
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#48]
I’m on the Upper Susquehanna about an hour north of the PA border  Hazy here and you can smell smoke.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top