User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 12:46:31 AM EDT
[#1]
How the fuck does that even happen?
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 12:55:25 AM EDT
[#2]
holy shit! It was almost crayons and coloring books for him.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 12:56:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Start with a limp grip, pulling light single action trigger very gently and timidly
as gun goes off, it begins moves back, combined with no pressure on the finger = trigger resets in an fraction of a second (before shooter reacts to shot)
as shooter feels loss of control or is scared, they instinctively clinch death grip with all fingers which pulls trigger again
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 12:57:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I’ll never understand why people hand new shooters stuff like that.  It’s not funny, it’s stupid.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 12:58:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I seent it in real life! It’s why I never hand someone a gun with more than a round in it till they are ready.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 12:58:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Shit!!!  From limp wrist, to whiskey throttle
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:00:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Any big bore, always load one round in it to those who think they are badass.  Usually one is good for them and their girly wrists.

.454 Casull Master Race.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:00:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I’ll never understand why people hand new shooters stuff like that.  It’s not funny, it’s stupid.
View Quote

ONE round first with any new gun/caliber with any new shooter.   not only avoids this but mitigates the potential damage from the classic "look what I  just did" muzzle sweep
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:01:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Happens a lot with hand cannons, the .500 especially.

500 SW 700 Grainers Nearly Blows own head off

Smith & Wesson 500 double tap twice in a row full auto

You can see Scott from Kentucky Ballistics pulls the trigger about halfway during the recoil in slowmo at 14:10.

Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:02:36 AM EDT
[#10]
In before someone posts a similar video.

neverminded, typed to slow.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:02:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'll never understand why people hand new shooters stuff like that.  It's not funny, it's stupid.
View Quote
What caliber was it?
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:04:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:04:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'll never understand why people hand new shooters stuff like that.  It's not funny, it's stupid.
View Quote
You see it with guys taking their new girlfriend out shooting for the first time. Give the girl a big gun right off the bat that they can't/don't know how to handle. Then show how manly they are when they shoot it with no problem.

Gun range I used to go to when I lived in WA had something like that happen. Guy gives his GF a .44 magnum. She fired the first round downrange but, the recoil kicked the gun up over her shoulder where she fired the second round. Right into the guys neck and he bled out.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:04:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Exactly why I start new shooters out like Barney Friggin Fife with one boolit at a time
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:04:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Guy on Garandthumbs channel just about did it the other day shooting a Smith 500.  Go to 14:10 and start watching.  Look close at the slow-mo.

And BEAT LIKE A RENTED MULE…..

Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:05:45 AM EDT
[#16]
100% the fault of the instructor standing behind him.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:05:45 AM EDT
[#17]
100% the fault of the instructor standing behind him.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:07:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What caliber was it?
View Quote
Well it's reddit, so probably .38 special...

Handing novice shooters big bore revolvers is always a dumb idea.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:07:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Recoil happens.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:07:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Exactly why I start new shooters out like Barney Friggin Fife with one boolit at a time
View Quote
I would like to see that incorporated into the range rules at more places: single loading until the shooter has demonstrated ability to control recoil.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:09:07 AM EDT
[#21]
His nickname is going to be freckles.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:15:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Happens a lot with hand cannons, the .500 especially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umy--4qJJ8E

View Quote

How fucking stupid do you have to be to not notice two rounds of .500 going off... If he had planted one in his skull I'm not sure it would have significantly affected his IQ.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:15:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:15:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I would like to see that incorporated into the range rules at more places: single loading until the shooter has demonstrated ability to control recoil.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn’t be a bad idea for sure. The collateral damage factor is the kicker. If they canoe themselves it’s one thing. But if a bystander takes a stray negligent round that’s another.  Hell main reason I rarely go to a range. Seen some sketchy shit. Rather be in the desert alone. Safer
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:17:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Wouldn’t be a bad idea for sure. The collateral damage factor is the kicker. If they canoe themselves it’s one thing. But if a bystander takes a stray negligent round that’s another.  Hell main reason I rarely go to a range. Seen some sketchy shit. Rather be in the desert alone. Safer
View Quote

A skyward shot on an outdoor range can go places that... can get said range shut down.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:21:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

A skyward shot on an outdoor range can go places that... can get said range shut down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. Like if someone fucks up at south mountain range in PHX and puts one over the hill. It’s all residential on the backside
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:22:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You see it with guys taking their new girlfriend out shooting for the first time. Give the girl a big gun right off the bat that they can't/don't know how to handle. Then show how manly they are when they shoot it with no problem.

Gun range I used to go to when I lived in WA had something like that happen. Guy gives his GF a .44 magnum. She fired the first round downrange but, the recoil kicked the gun up over her shoulder where she fired the second round. Right into the guys neck and he bled out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was at Wade’s like 25 years ago. And it was a church group of young adults out for a social activity. I thought the gun was a Desert Eagle .44, but old posts say it was a Colt Anaconda.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:22:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yup. Like if someone fucks up at south mountain range in PHX and puts one over the hill. It’s all residential on the backside
View Quote

There is a range around here that has banned "sky high" reloads (loaded gun pointed over berm)
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:23:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agree. Guy had no idea what was going to happen.

Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:24:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Saw a woman at a CCW class do that about 6 times. She decided she was going to quality with a .460 S&W.
The instructor with the ultra long resume allowed it to continue. They would load the cylinder (5 rounds) and after 3 or 4 "shots fired" the gun was empty.

The instructor would say what it was some sort of ammunition malfunction and continue the shooter, while ignoring pieces of the ceiling falling on the range.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:29:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

and the guy training the dude realized that mistake real quick, lol... he about crapped himself!
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:31:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That was at Wade's like 25 years ago. And it was a church group of young adults out for a social activity. Gun was a Desert Eagle .44.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was at Wade's like 25 years ago. And it was a church group of young adults out for a social activity. Gun was a Desert Eagle .44.
Nah, this is the one I was thinking of.

"The woman was shooting at the range with a powerful .44-caliber revolver when the recoil caused the gun to raise into the air. When a second round was fired, the recoil pushed the woman's arms back over her shoulder and a third shot, probably a reflex from the recoil, hit Chumney, who was standing behind her."

https://archive.seattletimes.com/archive/?date=19970522&slug=2540601
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:31:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

ONE round first with any new gun/caliber with any new shooter.   not only avoids this but mitigates the potential damage from the classic "look what I  just did" muzzle sweep
View Quote

That's really good advice, I have been muzzle sweep by new shooters. I'll be using this method from now on.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:39:45 AM EDT
[#34]
People think it’s funny to give new shooters heavy recoiling guns.

It’s not. I don’t give a shit if it’s a 22 or a 500 S&W. First time shooting anything that can fire consecutive shots, you’re getting single loads.

ETA: This happens a lot. Queue the Arizona instructor that got zipped and killed by a little girl shooting a full auto her first time.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:41:32 AM EDT
[#35]
500 S&W and inexperienced shooter... This happened at a local range a few years ago.

Honestly if somebody wants to shoot big bore for bragging rights, coach them through it and only give them 1 round at a time. FFS...
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:49:01 AM EDT
[#36]
I start new shooters with a old model Ruger Single Six specifically loaded with one round since it is a SAO Revolver in .22LR.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:54:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Good news, judging from the very end there were at least 2 people that got it all on camera. You know, the important stuff.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 1:58:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

"The woman was shooting at the range with a powerful .44-caliber revolver when the recoil caused the gun to raise into the air. When a second round was fired, the recoil pushed the woman's arms back over her shoulder and a third shot, probably a reflex from the recoil, hit Chumney, who was standing behind her."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s the same one. I remember when it happened. But I was wrong in my initial recollection of the type of handgun.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 2:17:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Captain Limpwrist.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 2:26:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Probably expected it to recoil like his PlayStation games....

The single round for new shooters is a great rule.  Might have helped Alec Baldwin
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 2:32:22 AM EDT
[#41]
I had a buddy that used to let people shoot his .50 DE.   He would only let them load one round at a time just for this reason.  

Link Posted: 10/22/2021 2:39:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Note to self : single round for any newbs I introduce to shooting. Thanks arfcom
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 3:03:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Faggoty wrists.

By that, I mean wrists which have not been accustomed to carrying large bundles of sticks, or fags. Before you shoot such a distributor of yeet, one should have more strength building, fag bearing experience.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 3:07:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I seent it in real life! It’s why I never hand someone a gun with more than a round in it till they are ready.
View Quote

Yep, even have done it with a muzzleloader....
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 3:28:27 AM EDT
[#45]
In college, we had a psych professor (Manning) who was report to carry a 1911 in 45 ACP.  So we asked him about it, and he confirmed that he did in fact carry a 1911 in 45 ACP because he often carried and smoked marijuiana, even though not even medical marijuana was legal at that time.  We did our level best to explain to him the lack of wisdom in getting into a shootout over marijuana, rather than taking the citation/arrest, and we were unsuccessful.  He had narcolepsy (a sleeping disorder where he falls asleep at unexpectedly times) for which he took dexedrine with all it's side effects (almost all negative side effects).

Otherwise he was a great guy and we enjoyed inviting him to all our house parties which were frequent, and had a well known reputation for often lasting days.   Our large house was adjacent to a large restaurant that closed down for the weekend after the Friday lunch hour (around 3PM).  So our house had use of their large parking lot for the vehicles of our party guests.  Professor Manning would show up with his pot and his 45 which we encouraged to leave in his car while he was partying and drinking (we had 3 kegs in the lower house bathroom packed with ice (cheap beer, very stout ale, and strong dark beer like porter or Guinness)_and the commode was off to the side of the bathroom..old house design where sink, tub were in one room, and the commode was off to the side of that room.  Someone would be filling cups in the "tap room" and pass them to people outside the window to people in the yard, or to people inside the house but not in the tap room.  Only people needing the commode could come and go under the  "stay out" ribbons across the door.

Manning got predictably drunk and drove home.  About a week later we learned that 2 days after our party, he shot himself TWICE (yep 2X) in the head with his 45.  I think the first shot did the job, and the second shot was just a nerve twitch/reaction but he was already dead from the first shot.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 3:35:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I seent it in real life! It's why I never hand someone a gun with more than a round in it till they are ready.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/22/2021 4:00:25 AM EDT
[#47]

I thought the same with the S/A .22 comment.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 4:33:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2021 4:44:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 4:50:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

They all want to show off and say "Give me the biggest gun you've got!" without knowing what they're doing.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top