Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you know CPR? Do you know how to control an airway? Are you just going to administer it and wait?  At what point do you call EMS?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I said, I still have more research to do, but my understand at the moment is that there are no serious side effects if the person doesn't have an opiate in their system.

Just like with deadly force, deciding when to use it would be pretty simple when you get down to it - you use it when you have no other choice and reasonably believe that failing to do so would result in death or serious injury.
Do you know CPR? Do you know how to control an airway? Are you just going to administer it and wait?  At what point do you call EMS?
Yes, I know CPR. I've not been certified and it's been years since my training, and I should go through a refresher course.

I know how to position someone's head and neck to maximize airflow, but not beyond that.

I can't think of any circumstance where I or my wife wouldn't be on the phone with 911 before any other steps were taken.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:36:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yes, I know CPR. I've not been certified and it's been years since my training, and I should go through a refresher course.

I know how to position someone's head and neck to maximize airflow, but not beyond that.

I can't think of any circumstance where I or my wife wouldn't be on the phone with 911 before any other steps were taken.
View Quote
Youre not certified in CPR but you want to inject people with narcan?

Bro worry less about being a hero.

CPR training would go farther
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
it's a nasal spray
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No way I am injecting anyone with anything

Edit* if unconscious *
it's a nasal spray
The nasal spray is much more expensive. If I'm able to find somewhere that gives it away I'd probably prefer it, but I wouldn't buy it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not what the OP is talking about. Says syringe and says for injection
View Quote

Can be administered either way. Nasal device screws on the end of the syringe. Or it can be used as an injection.

All that said, I think OP would be better off getting some first responder or EMT training than just throwing narcan in his bag.

Not too mention that if you do give it to some junkie and take away their high, you'll have a whole different set of problems to deal with.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not EMS, but I've performed the Heimlich maneuver successfully once. I'm not a cop, but I've used a firearm to protect the innocent before. How is this any different?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Can be administered either way. Nasal device screws on the end of the syringe. Or it can be used as an injection.

All that said, I think OP would be better off getting some first responder or EMT training than just throwing narcan in his bag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not what the OP is talking about. Says syringe and says for injection

I agree. This isn't mutually exclusive.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:39:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm not EMS, but I've performed the Heimlich maneuver successfully once. I'm not a cop, but I've used a firearm to protect the innocent before. How is this any different?
View Quote
Because youre injecting people with a drug and untrained
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you are getting it to use on yourself or a loved one in case of accidental contact then good on you. Dont get it to use on some rando.
View Quote
This

If something goes wrong your gonna pay out the ass in a lawsuit.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:42:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you are getting it to use on yourself or a loved one in case of accidental contact then good on you. Dont get it to use on some rando.
View Quote
If you can give it to yourself, then you don’t need narcan.

Also, the injectors are 2 mg (give 1 mg each nostril).  My protocols at work call for 0.4 mg for a reason.  The point of narcan is give just enough to bring back their spontaneous breathing.  They hopefully will remain unconscious.  The point of narcan is not to wake them up.

Also, the effects of the opioid often outlast the effects of the narcan.  That means that further treatment is often necessary, including repeat doses.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd really rather have an epipen, but they are expensive, have a short shelf life, and aren't over the counter.  I could see myself being around someone who needs that long before narcan.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:43:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like OP doesn't like the answers and is going to get it anyway.

I think you're opening a can of worms without formal training. Reading about it isn't going to cut it either.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#12]
If you are asking for opinions of others, I think it is a horrible idea to use on a stranger and/or of you don't know what you are doing.  I wouldn't.

As I understand it removes all effects almost instantly and the stranger you just applied it to is going to be....rather unpleasant with you being the closest person to them.  It's putting yourself in a situation you probably don't want to be in.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:45:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'd really rather have an epipen, but they are expensive, have a short shelf life, and aren't over the counter.  I could see myself being around someone who needs that long before narcan.
View Quote
I have an epipen in each vehicle already, though none of my family has known allergies. They expire in a few months and if I can't find more cheap or free I likely won't replace them.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:47:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sounds like OP doesn't like the answers and is going to get it anyway.

I think you're opening a can of worms without formal training. Reading about it isn't going to cut it either.
View Quote
I'm getting exactly the answers I expected, by and large. I've been around here long enough to know that most in GD would fall into two camps: "Druggies should all die anyhow", and "You're gonna get sued".

I posted to see if anything comes up that I hadn't considered. It did, and the thread has served its purpose. Now I'm just hanging around instead of doing real work :)
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm putting together a car kit for each of my vehicles, and happened to see a tweet go by this morning that mentioned Narcan was available OTC. I was of the understanding that it was hundreds of dollars, but a little research showed that while the nasal spray is ~$150, naloxone can be had in syringe form for $20.99.

I don't think it's likely that I'd need it, but at the same time I recognize that it's possible that a kid could come in contact with fentanyl or carfentanil these days, and my understanding is that a lethal dose of those can be absorbed through the skin fairly easily. For $20, it seems like a reasonable precaution.

I have more research on it to do before I'll feel confident in my understanding, but from what I'm reading now it could at least give you time to get someone to the hospital.
View Quote
Do you know how, when, where, and how much to use?

Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have an epipen in each vehicle already, though none of my family has known allergies. They expire in a few months and if I can't find more cheap or free I likely won't replace them.
View Quote
The thing is, those allergies can pop up at any time, the next bee sting.  If it's somewhere far from medical treatment, it can be a real problem.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm getting exactly the answers I expected, by and large. I've been around here long enough to know that most in GD would fall into two camps: "Druggies should all die anyhow", and "You're gonna get sued".

I posted to see if anything comes up that I hadn't considered. It did, and the thread has served its purpose. Now I'm just hanging around instead of doing real work :)
View Quote
Well when the medical professionals get sued for doing their job, and theyre trained, well I take note
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:51:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well when the medical professionals get sued for doing their job, and theyre trained, well I take note
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I get that.

I generally don't live in fear of being sued, but for this subject in particular it's completely irrelevant. I see no circumstance where I'd use it while simultaneous giving a shit about getting sued afterward. I'm not going to put myself at risk to try and save someone from themselves, and I'm willing to risk blood and fortune to save the life of an innocent.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:53:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Uh, no.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Fuck Narcan.

Ban it. Let Darwin win.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I get that.

I generally don't live in fear of being sued, but for this subject in particular it's completely irrelevant. I see no circumstance where I'd use it while simultaneous giving a shit about getting sued afterward. I'm not going to put myself at risk to try and save someone from themselves, and I'm willing to risk blood and fortune to save the life of an innocent.
View Quote
How are you to know they are innocent? From what I hear junkies get pretty pissed off after losing their high due to narcan.

You should always be concerned with your well being even in a heat of the moment sort of situation.

Too many good people get fucked for doing the right thing, and that's why we are having this convo.

My honest opinion is youre setting yourself up for failure trying to be a good guy.

That's all I got
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted: They hopefully will remain unconscious.  The point of narcan is not to wake them up.
View Quote
Heh.
I hear they’re seldom pleased with someone bumming their high. FF buddies have told me they’ve narcaned the same guy 2x in a day (separate incidents) - wasn’t any more appreciative the second time.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:04:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Op's car will be broken into for the narcan by junkie he is trying to save.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#25]
No I don't. No I wouldn't.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I get that.

View Quote

My advice to you would be to forget the narcan and if you find yourself in that situation and feel the need to intervene then call 911 and monitor the person. If it becomes necessary, perform CPR. If they've taken a dose that puts them in arrest then only one dose of narcan probably wasn't going to help anyway.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#27]
That's about #6874367875 on my list of things to be prepared for in my emergency kit
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:08:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Nope.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#29]
LOL, no.

Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#30]
A bvm cost 18 bucks on Amazon much more useful.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:09:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Nope, my kit is for my family.
And No, no Narcan.

Before I retired, I worked LEO for over 30 years, and had to assist EMS mnay more times than I can count with many things.
On the limited number of times I was there when a medic had to administer Narcan, the results were usually violent when the hairball came out of it and realized that you had taken their high away.
I am not not going to subject myself, my family, or others to that type of violence.

If they OD on Opiods, I will call those who are the professionals to deal with it, I tried over the years to help out, but if they purposely do it, then so be it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Unless you are a paramedic or assisting someone with their own prescribed medicine such as epi, injecting someone with medication will land you in a world of shit.  Don't even dream of it.  Good Samaritan law doesn't cover random jow blow off the streets with absolutely zero medical training sticking people with syringes.  It Would be no different than me as an EMT basic deciding to give someone a crichothyrotomy.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Op's car will be broken into for the narcan by junkie he is trying to save.
View Quote
Why the fuck would a junkie want Narcan?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:09:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Narcan has no contraindication in its application. If you give it to someone who is not ODing, it won't harm them.
Yes, at times, people may become combative, or they may not.
Narcan is not a one hit and done thing. If you use Narcan on someone , medical treatment is still necessary, as it may not have been enough of a dose, and/or the Narcan can wear off before the opioids clear.

I would recommend against using Narcan on random strangers. That is for you to decide however. I carry Narcan for use on myself and associates if we have an accidental opioid exposure.

The nasal spray is the easiest way for a layperson to deliver Narcan, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:11:31 PM EDT
[#35]
New product idea...narcan tipped taser electrodes.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

How are you to know they are innocent? From what I hear junkies get pretty pissed off after losing their high due to narcan.
View Quote
To say the least. We... may have... toyed... with the idea of restraining them before administering. Shit gets bad and ugly fast and the puke and punches arent worth the injuries of thrashing under restraint imo.

Whatever, its ARFCOM; OP gonna do what OP gonna do.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
So they can OD on purpose and live.  You don't know how this works do you?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No way I am injecting anyone with anything

Edit* if unconscious *
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don’t save drug addicts. And if your kid comes into contact it your not being a stand up parent.
View Quote
Are you a parent?

@jjcrt263b
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:18:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Im not a Doctor.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I wouldn't touch an addict that looks like they've ODed - too much chance for cross-contamination, as others have mentioned.

As for liability, Arkansas has a good samaritan law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nah, I'm not too worried about saving pillheads, needle brains, etc. and I'm not medically trained to administer anything to someone who might be a legitimate  accidental overdose.
I wouldn't touch an addict that looks like they've ODed - too much chance for cross-contamination, as others have mentioned.

As for liability, Arkansas has a good samaritan law.
Still no way. I could not tell you the difference between someone ODing or someone having a stroke or other medical emergency. Ill call 911 though.

What happens if you miss diagnose this person, your children included, and introduce something to them that really fucks them up because you are not trained to know what you are looking at? You good with that? Im not.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:20:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

I have no interest in carrying Narcan in my personal IFAK...  I just can't imagine a scenario where it would make sense to use.  But I have been in situations where I really wished to have an epi-pen available.  But they are a pain in the ass to get.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:22:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Gloves and masks.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#44]
OP, no AED yet?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:27:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Dude, you trolling?  He was saying your car will be broken into cause junkies are often times thieving wastes of flesh.   He is calling out the irony that the life you save will then, maybe, steal from you.

If you aren't trained on it, don't get it.  If you aren't around dopers full time don't worry about it.  Keep your phone charged so you can call 911 if you need to save the day at some point.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:39:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
OP, shooting people is really, really easy.  There's not a lot to know.

Medical shit, even at the basic level, requires training, because perishable skill (like shooting, but harder to go out and practice), and baseline knowledge beyond "front sight, squeeze".
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Whose kid?
View Quote
Just about any kid whose parents don't keep him/her chained up in the basement.

It doesn't take much physical contact to absorb a lethal dose through the skin...and there's tons of that shit floating around this country.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:48:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm a doctor, and I wouldn't put it in my kit. You will for sure 100% get sued by the junkie or obese boomer. If you haven't seen how someone reacts to it, imagine all sensation of pain inhibited, and then almost instantly that being removed, including the natural endorphins. Immediate 10/10 pain. At least in the few I've seen. They will sue you for saving their life. I'd be very cautious in the care I give from my car kit. Many things are best done in an ambulance or hospital.
View Quote
I've seen hundreds of people react to Narcan I've administered and none of them reacted that way.  The goal is to improve breathing, not wake them up.....most people give too much Narcan.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:48:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I don't save drug addicts. And if your kid comes into contact it your not being a stand up parent.
View Quote
That's ludicrous. You don't have to intentionally ingest the shit.

I can envision a plethora of scenarios where a good kid might be inadvertently exposed to the shit.

Merely putting your hand somewhere that has been contaminated with it can kill you.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#50]
EMT here.  No I don't.  I won't either.  

IMHO, unless you are a EMS professional or medical professional training to diagnose opioid ODs, then don't bother.  Call 911.  Basic ABCs and CPR.  Let the pro's get into that stuff.  Not only that, but I would HIGHLY (HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY) discourage you from getting the syringe.  Major liability for yourself if you act outside your scope of training (whatever that may be).  Administering drugs via syringe...you need training on.  You mess up, now someone has the legal grounds to sue you.  With that the nasal spray is expensive.  Fuck it.   

Now if you have a close family member that that uses those types of drugs and worry about dosages or have small kids around, may be worth the $130 for the spray.  Would I use that on a person I don't know and I'm not on duty,  no. 

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top