[#1]
Nope, ZFG, for random junkies.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This - they'll be mad I ruined their high and I'll have done the world a disservice by saving a junkie.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Dumb.

Spend the $21 and get something you have a remote chance of using one day like a tourniquet. The chance of you needing narcan is beyond slim. Unless your kids hang around junkies in drug houses, an accidental exposure just isn't happening. No, it's not just floating around everywhere like some posters are saying.

Take this from someone who works in a very busy Texas city and has never had an accidental OD of a child in his career.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 4:14:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Fuck an addict, let em sleep.
View Quote
At breakfast at a Residence Inn this past Sunday morning. There was this dude crashed on a couch near the tables. Out like a light. A little bit later I was by the front desk grabbing a luggage cart and the lady working was on the phone with someone going on about not being able to wake the dude up. I couldn't muster up any concern.

We are raising two grandchildren due to my daughter being useless and their dead ODd shitbag daddy. Fuck an addict, let em die doing what they love above all else. Preferably before reproducing.

Edit - the let them die before reproducing isn't my opinion about our grandkids.  They are a blessing and joy to us.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why the fuck would a junkie want Narcan?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Op's car will be broken into for the narcan by junkie he is trying to save.
Quoted:
Dude, you trolling?  He was saying your car will be broken into cause junkies are often times thieving wastes of flesh.   He is calling out the irony that the life you save will then, maybe, steal from you.

If you aren't trained on it, don't get it.  If you aren't around dopers full time don't worry about it.  Keep your phone charged so you can call 911 if you need to save the day at some point.
Quoted:
So they can OD on purpose and live.  You don't know how this works do you?
I can't tell if the OP is serious anymore, lol!
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've seen hundreds of people react to Narcan I've administered and none of them reacted that way.  The goal is to improve breathing, not wake them up.....most people give too much Narcan.
View Quote
You must be better at giving it. The person on the vascular lab table started screaming. I may not have witnessed the best dosing, and I wasn’t prescribing it the vascular surgeon did thank goodness.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 4:27:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I carry it and respond while at work...not happening on my own time.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Carrying Narcan in a personal first aid kit just in case is like carrying a bearing puller in your car just in case.

Very rare that you ll ever use it, and if you do you clearly dont know what you are getting into.

You dont want to be anywhere near some one who needs Narcan, OD'ing junkies and their dealers, friends, and family are all toxic

If you are exposing yourself or loved ones to chemicals that require Narcan you are doing something wrong. If your job makes you then use PPE

I cant tell if you are a troll or dense. I apologize in advance for the caps

UNLESS YOU ARE AN EMT OR LICENSED PROFESSIONAL YOU SHOULD NOT BE ADMINISTERING ANYTHING TO ANYONE OUTSIDE YOUR IMMEDIATE FAMILY
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Why would you save a criminal?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You must be better at giving it. The person on the vascular lab table started screaming. I may not have witnessed the best dosing, and I wasn't prescribing it the vascular surgeon did thank goodness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've seen hundreds of people react to Narcan I've administered and none of them reacted that way.  The goal is to improve breathing, not wake them up.....most people give too much Narcan.
You must be better at giving it. The person on the vascular lab table started screaming. I may not have witnessed the best dosing, and I wasn't prescribing it the vascular surgeon did thank goodness.
I was fortunate enough to work with some very well seasoned providers early in my career.

0.4mg IV is usually enough to bring rate and tidal volume to acceptable levels.  Most providers give 2.0 mg per dose which in my experience is way more than needed to illicit a good response.

Once ETCO2 monitors became standard on the ambulance I didn't even bother giving narcan if then only symptom was decreased LOC.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I love these kinds of threads you are much better off knowing where the local ER is than waisting time on narcan. You hero's that want to needle decomp or give drugs need to get a education and a license so you won't kill somebody instead of helping them geez.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was fortunate enough to work with some very well seasoned providers early in my career.

0.4mg IV is usually enough to bring rate and tidal volume to acceptable levels. Most providers give 2.0 mg per dose which in my experience is way more than needed to illicit a good response.

Once ETCO2 monitors became standard on the ambulance I didn't even bother giving narcan if then only symptom was decreased LOC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've seen hundreds of people react to Narcan I've administered and none of them reacted that way. The goal is to improve breathing, not wake them up.....most people give too much Narcan.

0.4mg IV is usually enough to bring rate and tidal volume to acceptable levels. Most providers give 2.0 mg per dose which in my experience is way more than needed to illicit a good response.

This. Too many medics get all 'herp derp' and push 2 mg all at once.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This. Too many medics get all 'herp derp' and push 2 mg all at once.
View Quote
Our medical director doesn’t even approve that.  It’s even in protocols to only give 0.4 mg.

Or, alternatively, you can slam 2 mg as you walk through the door to the ER.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Apparently the Surgeon General thinks you should.

Link to Story
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Link to Story
View Quote
Fuck that.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Link to Story
View Quote
Yep, that's the story I encountered that spawned this line of thought.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:24:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Op's car will be broken into for the narcan by junkie he is trying to save.
Quoted:
Dude, you trolling?  He was saying your car will be broken into cause junkies are often times thieving wastes of flesh.   He is calling out the irony that the life you save will then, maybe, steal from you.

If you aren't trained on it, don't get it.  If you aren't around dopers full time don't worry about it.  Keep your phone charged so you can call 911 if you need to save the day at some point.
Quoted:
So they can OD on purpose and live.  You don't know how this works do you?
I'm never *that* serious.

I've honestly never heard of a junkie seeking out Narcan for that purpose, but I suppose it sort of makes sense. As others have said though - it's not like it cures them, it just buys them some time. They'd still have to go to the ER or die when it wears off...
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Carrying Narcan in a personal first aid kit just in case is like carrying a bearing puller in your car just in case.

Very rare that you ll ever use it, and if you do you clearly dont know what you are getting into.

You dont want to be anywhere near some one who needs Narcan, OD'ing junkies and their dealers, friends, and family are all toxic

If you are exposing yourself or loved ones to chemicals that require Narcan you are doing something wrong. If your job makes you then use PPE

UNLESS YOU ARE AN EMT OR LICENSED PROFESSIONAL YOU SHOULD NOT BE ADMINISTERING ANYTHING TO ANYONE OUTSIDE YOUR IMMEDIATE FAMILY
View Quote
Neither a troll nor dense - just stubborn and distrustful :)
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
EMS here... dont bother with stuff you dont know how to use imo. Narcam cannot hurt anyone. There are no contra-negatives or anything like that, but really, dont mess with shit out of your league. A lot more goes into it than just mixing, spraying, shaking hands and walking away. I know thats not what you're saying OP, but the point is... well you either get the point or you dont.
View Quote
That's just plain not true
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#20]
No, I'm not trained to correctly respond to an overdose even if my training allows me to recognize the signs and symptoms of a narcotics overdose.   I am not an ER doc or EMT or paramedic.

If you don't have current training and experience IMO you are just as likely to make things worse if you misdiagnose.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Link to Story
View Quote
I think his reasons are different than the OP if the OP is talking about family only and looks like the Surgeon General is full of derp
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#22]
There is one person I would inject a drug into.  I am not in the business, and have no business, injecting anything into anyone.

That's my wife, and I know what she takes, how often she takes it, and where to inject her.  And yes, it's life-critical, and yes, I check with her around the time she takes it to make sure she stays alive for the long haul.  For that kind of stuff, we are all up in each other business.

Maybe, MAYBE an epi-pen that someone has on them, but I'm pretty sure anyone with those uses them themselves, not needing others.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:40:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
EMS here... dont bother with stuff you dont know how to use imo. Narcam cannot hurt anyone. There are no contra-negatives or anything like that, but really, dont mess with shit out of your league. A lot more goes into it than just mixing, spraying, shaking hands and walking away. I know thats not what you're saying OP, but the point is... well you either get the point or you dont.
Source?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Link to Story
View Quote
Lack of any sort of fuck is vast.

If I run across someone that needs it, it'll likely be in a city where medical attention is relatively prompt.  I'll call 911 and let the experts handle it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:41:20 PM EDT
[#25]
as an aside, i read a book a long time ago about junkies in new york. cops would collar a junkie bring him into the precinct, ask him if he was a junkie, he says 'no' then cops would administer the 'naline' test wherein the administer naline causing the guy to go into severe withdrawals... this was in the 60s.

just get a big ass syringe/needle and whatever and do the heart punch...

i've actually seen this done in a hospital but it was to restart some old guys heart that had stopped, not a od. i forget what they use (or used to use its been a while since i saw it) in those syringes. they also were hitting him with the paddles.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, no.  Lol
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Jesus fuck. Is this shit serious?!! Hellllll no, you arnt a medical professional, stick to your level. The last thing I'd want if something happened to me is for some YouTube medical pro to assume I've OD'd and to give me a shot.

Stay in your own lane
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I believe that you are thinking of it as a solution that you are hoping to need.  Some day.

You are 20,000 times more likely to need a standard first aid kit, BandAids etc.  Not sexy - but realistic.  And at least you'll know when and how to use them.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I’m a paramedic.  My answer is fuck no.  Ever seen a person after you give narcan?  It’s not pretty.  They often become combative and vomit.  That’s not a can of worms I want to open without my truck full of tools.
View Quote
Came here to post this.

I mean It's awesome to be prepared, but If you want to carry a useful drug, your better off getting your first responder training and carrying 1:1000 Epinephrine.

If an opiate overdose did happen, Which the chances are probably slim. you'd be better off calling EMS professionals, and managing it at a BLS level (Airway, Rescue breathing, CPR if the hypoxia causes Cardiac arrest) until they arrive on scene.

But if it's only $20, and you obviously want to carry it, whatever. Just be careful, even a non user might become combative after administration, and be prepared to manage an Airway if they vomit.

And even under Good Samaritan laws While administering a drug that has no contra-indications, this is a Sue Happy world we live in.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I wouldn't carry Narcan even if it was free.  Even if it was required by law.

If someone wants to overdose and kill themselves, I'm not going to stop them.  Stupid behavior has consequences.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:06:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Not a chance from me....risk vs reward just doesn't work out
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:06:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep, EMT here. I have my own personal jumpbag and while I can get Naloxone if I want to for my bag even I don't wanna carry it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:08:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Link to Story
View Quote
The surgeon general ain't on scene with me so they can get fucked.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#34]
OP if you run across anyone that likely needs Naloxone, they're likely in arrest. So if you wanna be Ricky Rescue, just make sure your CPR is up to snuff. No need to have a junkie pissed off and potentially projectile vomiting on you. Besides if you do IN push and they wake up, they'll prolly bail before the bus arrives anyway.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:14:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
OP if you run across anyone that likely needs Naloxone, they're likely in arrest. So if you wanna be Ricky Rescue, just make sure your CPR is up to snuff. No need to have a junkie pissed off and potentially projectile vomiting on you. Besides if you do IN push and they wake up, they'll prolly bail before the bus arrives anyway.
View Quote
Nasal Sprays are a gradual effect. I have  never had a ODer come back from a nasal and go bonkers.

The medics with the IVs? They go from practically dead to raging assholes in less than 5 seconds.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Not in a million years.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:16:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Nasal Sprays are a gradual effect. I have  never had a ODer come back from a nasal and go bonkers.

The medics with the IVs? They go from practically dead to raging assholes in less than 5 seconds.
View Quote
Interesting. I was trained to give IN, but never gave it so I've never seen the effects that route. I've seen the IV done many times.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#38]
WAAYY too much civil liability involved in giving shots to people other than my immediate family.  My immediate family knows to stay away from fentanyl, etc.  No way would I administer medicine like that to someone on the street.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Interesting. I was trained to give IN, but never gave it so I've never seen the effects that route. I've seen the IV done many times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are trained to give the spray, then wait 3 to 5 minutes before we give another as its a slower delivery.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I don't want to cross any lines - but how are your kids going to OD on narcotics?  If you think that is even a remote possibility - you should spend all of your creative thinking focusing on that actual problem - not some imagined dramatic solution where you happen to magically arrive in the nick of time to save the day with a hypo.

Someone else's kid?  Have you even had that happen?  I haven't.
View Quote
Sums it up nicely
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Neither I nor anyone I know use illegal drugs. I've got no interest in trying to save (or getting sued by) those who do.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

We are trained to give the spray, then wait 3 to 5 minutes before we give another as its a slower delivery.
View Quote
Same here. I just had a medic who could get a line in before you could blink and bam it's say hello to the daylight. He enjoyed ruining their highs
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:24:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
This right here.

There's a Darwin Award for a reason.  And a reason people win it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:25:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Neither I nor anyone I know use illegal drugs. I've got no interest in trying to save (or getting sued by) those who do.
View Quote
It works for any opiates. Ever heard of someone being prescribed oxycontin or the like? People accidentally and even intentionally OD everyday. Hell kids get into pills all the time. So it's not all about illegal users.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I wouldn't touch an addict that looks like they've ODed - too much chance for cross-contamination, as others have mentioned.

As for liability, Arkansas has a good samaritan law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nah, I'm not too worried about saving pillheads, needle brains, etc. and I'm not medically trained to administer anything to someone who might be a legitimate  accidental overdose.
I wouldn't touch an addict that looks like they've ODed - too much chance for cross-contamination, as others have mentioned.

lol

That law doesn't exempt you from civil suits.

And it only covers licensed health care providers.  Are you a licensed health care provider?
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#47]
If you need Narcan, I'm not the guy you are hoping for
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
LOL.
Good luck with that head in the sand approach to opioids.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:43:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
lol

And it only covers licensed health care providers.  Are you a licensed health care provider?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nah, I'm not too worried about saving pillheads, needle brains, etc. and I'm not medically trained to administer anything to someone who might be a legitimate  accidental overdose.

lol

(b) Any person who is not a health care professional who is present at an emergency or accident scene and who:

(1) Believes that the life, health, and safety of an injured person or a person who is under imminent threat of danger could be aided by reasonable and accessible emergency procedures under the circumstances existing at the scene thereof; and

(2) Proceeds to lend emergency assistance or service in a manner calculated in good faith to lessen or remove the immediate threat to the life, health, or safety of such a person,

shall not be held liable in civil damages in any action in this state for any act or omission resulting from the rendering of emergency assistance or services unless the act or omission was not in good faith and was the result of gross negligence or willful misconduct.
Now, I grant you that there is enough wiggle room to challenge it, especially in this hypothetical case, but the law clearly states that it applies to non-EMS and that it is a shield against civil actions.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Nope. I don't help very many people and of those druggies are not even on the list.

The only people I'm interested in helping in an emergency are myself, my wife and my kids.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top