Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/4/2020 9:12:29 AM EDT
If you or your crafty better half are sewing face masks, what materials are you using and what pattern are you using?

My wife has the time, skill, and materials to make some for us and those in need locally.

Looking for patterns and ideas...
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I need to figure this out today. CO governor just announced this as required if you go out but I don't have any masks.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#2]
People are going on Youtube to watch videos of mask making.
However, a lot of fabric places are closed right now.

I think we will start seeing a lot of home made stuff in the wild within a week.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Many people wearing what appeared to be home made masks at Walmart this AM.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I made a grocery run this morning and saw everything from N95 masks to bandanas over faces in the store.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:20:13 AM EDT
[#6]
My wife makes them using woven cotton
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:21:16 AM EDT
[#7]
We will be making masks. Haven't picked a design yet. My wife sews, and she has tons of cotton cloth scraps suitable for making masks.

I think I could make a passable mask using a bandana, a short piece of stiff wire, and a clip or two to make it fit the face.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#8]
There are a few templates out there, go with a doubled over cloth rectangle design with a slit in the back to remove and replace the filter material....even if it’s just paper towels or maybe the antiviral Kleenex that’s out there....I’m in if she can do multicam, or just anything other than dinosaurs, little ducks, balloons
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:28:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I need to figure this out today. CO governor just announced this as required if you go out but I don't have any masks.
View Quote

Required or urged to wear masks?
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:29:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Multiple layers of cotton material seems to be the preferred method for most. I'd go with a design that has an internal pocket so that additional material can be added as a filter. This material can be anything from layers of paper towels to shop towels (blue shop towels from Harbor Freight apparently make really effective filters) to coffee filters to HEPA filters. Some just use an extra layer or two of cotton. I think you can also buy rectangular shaped filters online that are made of the same stuff N95 masks are constructed from.

And yes, I am making my own. I have decided that having a mask made out of anything is better than having nothing at all. Multiple layers of cotton that can be washed regularly with some type of filter material that can be discarded and changed after each use should aid in preventing virus particles attached to droplets from entering my airway. Whether that reduction is 30%, 50% or 70%, either is a significant level of reduction when paired with good hand hygiene and eye protection. And if along the way we discover better materials to use as fliters, obviously we can make the switch.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:39:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Required, but I have not researched the penalties.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:42:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Just wear a bandana aka western cowboy style or a scarf or baklava  ?
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Nope.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I need a flecktarn mask to match the rest of my covid outfit
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Is this OK?

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:46:28 AM EDT
[#16]
My wife has sewn 20 or so in the past 2 days.  She’s nailing them out to friends and family who are healthcare workers.

I can ask her about patterns and other criteria.  I just supplied my stash of very small diameter shock cord to use as elastic.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:48:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Anyone have any downloadable patterns?
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:52:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Guy at works wife is making them. Just cotton material. The one I got is all black. She made one style that looks like Banes mask and then the standard n95 style.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:52:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The articles I just looked at said urged or requested. Similar to the Governor here.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:53:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you or your crafty better half are sewing face masks, what materials are you using and what pattern are you using?

My wife has the time, skill, and materials to make some for us and those in need locally.

View Quote

Wife made some out of some old navy blue camo. She used cdc pattern but made ties for some and used elastic for some
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Neck gaiters are a good idea.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Just wear a bandana aka western cowboy style or a scarf or baklava  ?
View Quote

That's my plan, pardner.

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Someone already posted a video with a pattern and how to make them out of I think it was a Hoover Y hepa filter bag vacuum bag.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:01:57 AM EDT
[#25]
I have several of these rubber dust masks purchased years ago that use "pancake" filters:

Unfortunately I never got any N95 pancake filters for them. Just the particulate variety. I am going to try to fashion something to augment the P95 filter. Two or three layers of cotton fabric inside would match what they are describing to make face masks out of.

I also have a lot of brand new Israeli M4 masks that were surplused after Gulf War 1. Unfortunately the filters, while still sealed, expired long ago. They would still "filter" particles but I am not keen on walking around with a full gask mask though it does keep you from touching your face with your fingers.

UPDATE: Color me shocked. I got the dust masks out of storage and it turns out they were equipped with N95 filters not P95 filters. Unfortunately, I have no replacements for them once they are used up.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:03:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Hell no, I bought full face respirators, filters, surgical masks,  n95's gloves and more back around jan 1st when this shit first popped up.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:04:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The articles I just looked at said urged or requested. Similar to the Governor here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are probably right, I watched his little talk and that was my take away, but did not read the articles. Looking at pattern ideas now.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:05:08 AM EDT
[#28]
I attempted to but butchered my first mask. I don’t have as sewing machine which would make a huge difference. I ended up buying a 10 pack of masks from Nine Line apparel instead. The wife and I are too busy with work and home school to mess with the stuff.

ETA: i do have a small stash of N95s. Just trying to prolong them.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You are probably right, I watched his little talk and that was my take away, but did not read the articles. Looking at pattern ideas now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am sure it will probably be required at some point. Enforcing will be an issue, or retailers, businesses, and medical facilities will deny entry.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Hell no, I bought full face respirators, filters, surgical masks,  n95's gloves and more back around jan 1st when this shit first popped up.
View Quote

This.  I’m still struggling to understand how people didn’t see this coming and get ready for it back in January.  Especially by the end of January when it was clear what was happening and what was needed.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:20:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Pretty much everything out there says cotton and foam masks are entirely ineffective against viruses. Surgical and N95 masks are between 80-95% effective. Sewing your own mask makes for a great placebo effect.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:20:52 AM EDT
[#32]
My son and I 3d printed ones for our family members.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

My mother called Thursday and said she just started.  I replied that I wanted 75 to take to work and that I’d bring her some flannel sheets.    She replied that, no, she hates sewing.

Yesterday she asked for more fabric.
We will see.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:28:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

This I bought enough N95s to rotate weekly or even longer

And we’re able to give some to my grandfather which is what matters most to me
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Wife is sewing masks and mask covers.

Just working on basic forms and covers now, she has some HEPA vacuum cleaner bags that she is going to incorporate into the full masks.

First test run (there is an N95 under it).

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:55:43 AM EDT
[#37]
You guys who are using HEPA bags and other filter type material.....just be cautious and do your research. Make sure the material you are using doesn't contain any fiberglass. Some of the HEPA vacuum bags reportedly contain it. Only use the kind that have a poly material blend. You don't wanna be inhaling fiberglass into your lungs, as that could fuck you up just as bad as COVID-19.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#38]
How about a vacuum cleaner bag?

I'm not making any since I have some masks, just throwing that out there.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:07:54 AM EDT
[#39]
https://myhaymac.com/2020/04/01/easy-and-fast-no-sew-face-mask/?fbclid=IwAR2Sp1Pm0pa_-gGkTXVHEllmZGC5uZQCAaZHDPhY8z21cPf7N3IdNfpsG7E
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Our son made this one yesterday.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#41]
A gaiter will work just fine IMO.  Put it on and fold it a couple times and bam!  Nose and mouth covered by a few layers.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Mrs. midmo ordered some of this this morning, supposedly the right stuff (?)...

https://www.equilter.com/product/271399/oly-fun-polypropylene-pine-green-60-wide-by-the-yard
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My wife has sewn 20 or so in the past 2 days.  She's nailing them out to friends and family who are healthcare workers.

I can ask her about patterns and other criteria. I just supplied my stash of very small diameter shock cord to use as elastic.
View Quote

@AeroEngineer

A lady at my wife's church sews and has been making masks. We found out yesterday she had to stop because she ran out of elastic and can't find any. I raided my boxes of model rocketry supplies and found some shock cord elastic that we're giving to her.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

We are indeed living in a new world. Yesterday I ventured out to Walmart and BJ’s and probably six out of ten people were wearing masks, store bought or improvised.

And the other four out of ten people appeared anxious to be bare-skinned. And I can’t say I blame them.

I started wearing gloves weeks ago but yesterday was the first time I wore a mask. It did bring me a measure of comfort. It may not offer perfect protection or even very good protection but it surely can’t hurt.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have several of these rubber dust masks purchased years ago that use "pancake" filters:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/413AXKH7DFL._SX425_.jpg

Unfortunately I never got any N95 pancake filters for them. Just the particulate variety. I am going to try to fashion something to augment the P95 filter. Two or three layers of cotton fabric inside would match what they are describing to make face masks out of.

I also have a lot of brand new Israeli M4 masks that were surplused after Gulf War 1. Unfortunately the filters, while still sealed, expired long ago. They would still "filter" particles but I am not keen on walking around with a full gask mask though it does keep you from touching your face with your fingers.

UPDATE: Color me shocked. I got the dust masks out of storage and it turns out they were equipped with N95 filters not P95 filters. Unfortunately, I have no replacements for them once they are used up.
View Quote

The P95 should be just as good as the N95, it’s just that the P can also work with oil particles too..
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

@AeroEngineer

A lady at my wife's church sews and has been making masks. We found out yesterday she had to stop because she ran out of elastic and can't find any. I raided my boxes of model rocketry supplies and found some shock cord elastic that we're giving to her.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife has sewn 20 or so in the past 2 days.  She's nailing them out to friends and family who are healthcare workers.

I can ask her about patterns and other criteria. I just supplied my stash of very small diameter shock cord to use as elastic.

@AeroEngineer

That works!
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Youtube has lots of videos on making your own mask. The best ones use virus rated pleated furnace filters. You'll need to make them with a way to conform the mask to your face. Breathing in air without a tight face seal is breathing in air with no protection. Many of the videos will show means to employ that will allow you to have a good fit to your face.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would like masks with the Arfcom BFL!  Black background, white logo.  Or maybe cammo with black logo....
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:24:05 AM EDT
[#49]
The Chinese lady next door to me is.

I’m not asking her for one
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#50]
The one my wife made me.  It’s a prototype, so a bit bulky on the sides.  

The ones she’s cranking out are better fitted.  Mine is also about 20% bigger in neck coverage than typical - I have a beard and didn’t want shave it off so my mask is bigger

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top