Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’d quit the finasteride immediately.

Minoxidil is fine.

I’ve always been a very happy, well adjusted person.  When I was about 30 years old my hair was slightly thinning and I decided to try finasteride.  

It made me want to kill myself.

It took me a long time to figure out why.  And I did figure it out in time, but even then took months to shake off and become my happy self again.

I have honestly never had anything fuck up my mind that badly.  

And part of the problem was that after a lifetime of confidence I didn’t believe a drug or anything else would/could ever affect me that way, so I failed to see it in myself.  It just insidiously takes over.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-merck-propecia-suicide-exclusive-idUSKBN2A32XU
View Quote

I had the same issue. I started taking daily finasteride (from Keeps) about 5 months ago. I'm not kidding when I say that I got to the point where I thought I was losing my mind. I am not a suicidal person, never have been...but I began having suicidal thoughts about 2 months ago, sometimes it was overwhelming. The whole "what is the point of any of this" was consuming. I quit taking it immediately after that and I'll be honest, I'm just now beginning to balance back out.

That is horrible, dangerous stuff.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I take Spirinolactone for my acne. According to my dermatologist, it's commonly prescribed to men to help lessen hair loss.

Might be better than what you take now, but.. idk. I'm not a doc.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 12:56:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Trying to hang on to hair is unmasculine and a dealbreaker.

That kind of vanity is for women.

Be bald and sexy, not a plugs and rogaine weenie.
View Quote

I won’t go as far as plugs or surgery. I just want to hang on to what I have. Not yet ready to go completely bald. I don’t like the look. And whether they like it or not, bald guys get less respect.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Just cut it short and move on.  You can spend a lot of money on prevention products.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Trying to hang on to hair is unmasculine and a dealbreaker.

That kind of vanity is for women.

Be bald and sexy, not a plugs and rogaine weenie.
View Quote

I'm about to cross the Rubicon and shave my head - hair has been thinning for the past 10 years, and now it just looks like shit and needs to go. I don't want to deal with medication for this. Need some motivation to just get it over with - this helps
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 2:47:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I use minoxidil for a different reason - alopecia. I'm 35 and due to 2020 covid stress have developed pattern baldness. One day hair is there, next day it's not, always about a quarter size circle.

I'm 1.5 months into the treatment and am starting to see regrowth. There is no known cure for alopecia and I believe it's stress related, so between the Rogaine 5% foam and lifestyle changes it's having an impact.

Shit is expensive though.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 3:03:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I use minoxidil for a different reason - alopecia. I'm 35 and due to 2020 covid stress have developed pattern baldness. One day hair is there, next day it's not, always about a quarter size circle.

I'm 1.5 months into the treatment and am starting to see regrowth. There is no known cure for alopecia and I believe it's stress related, so between the Rogaine 5% foam and lifestyle changes it's having an impact.

Shit is expensive though.
View Quote

33 now and I got Alopecia when I was around 24'ish.

Started in my Beard first(I thought I just got to aggressive trimming one day), but turned into pretty much killing it.

Then it went to my Eyebrows(Lost probably a quarter/half of it, used eyebrow makeup to fill it in). Went to my head, but never enough to be noticeable. Cortisone shots made the biggest difference. I also used minoxidil and topical cortisone cream.

Stressful times. I was fortunate compared to a lot of people that get it, my spots would fill in as a new one would come. I haven't had anything new for 5 years and everything is back to normal, my beard is the only thing that has never 'fully' recovered, I've got full coverage mostly. But a lot more white hairs then before.

I was the healthiest/fittest with the least amount of stress when mine started. It's randomness is what sucks about it, I'm sure mine will be back at some point.

My hairline is slightly receding now, but I'm OK with that and at least it's nice and uniform. Alopecia is a entirely different animal.

Link Posted: 6/7/2021 3:11:03 PM EDT
[#8]
It's called male pattern baldness.  Women sans a few exceptions do not lose their hair.  

Testosterone is what drives the hair loss; shave it if it makes you nuts, but embrace it.  

Be a man.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 3:20:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Just shave it dude, if you can't then pony up to the Bosley clinic.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 5:46:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You're a woman, right?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Works great.

Care to elaborate?

In combo with testosterone therapy, it’s regrown a ton of hair for me.

You're a woman, right?

Yep. Our testosterone levels are much lower than men’s, but they shouldn’t be zero. Mine were zero. That’s ‘lose all your hair and look like you’re on chemo’ territory, so now I’m on testosterone supplementation. The dermatologist prescribed a topical treatment of the minoxidil, finasteride, retinol, and a couple other things, and my ponytail has gotten about 50-75% thicker over the past couple years I’ve been on it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 8:11:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Don't listen. Fight to try and keep your hair.

Every time I see a bald guy I think to myself "poor guy I wonder how sick he is?"
View Quote

We say the same thing when we read your threads.
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 9:02:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Im 52, Ive been drinking diet coke since I was 18.  Still full head of hair
View Quote

How is your diabetes?
Link Posted: 6/8/2021 9:03:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 10:07:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Been using generic finasteride for over 15 years. It sucks taking it everyday. Nowadays I often dont take it everyday. As far as I can tell it works, based on comparison to family members.
View Quote
I stopped taking it in April and my hair is falling out like crazy 2 months later. But I'm 47, it's not as a big a deal as when I was in my 20's.

Link Posted: 6/9/2021 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yep. Our testosterone levels are much lower than men’s, but they shouldn’t be zero. Mine were zero. That’s ‘lose all your hair and look like you’re on chemo’ territory, so now I’m on testosterone supplementation. The dermatologist prescribed a topical treatment of the minoxidil, finasteride, retinol, and a couple other things, and my ponytail has gotten about 50-75% thicker over the past couple years I’ve been on it.
View Quote

@Naamah I know this is kind of personal so tell me MYOB if you want. How did the testosterone affect you sex drive? How old are you?
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@Naamah I know this is kind of personal so tell me MYOB if you want. How did the testosterone affect you sex drive? How old are you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn’t make any difference in that regard even though I’m maintaining around 200, up from 0. It did give me a huge energy boost, though. I’m 39 now. Started the whole regimen when I was 37.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I tried to keep it.  It is definitely possible to regrow, but the sode effects you are willing to tolerate are what limits you.  Trannies that aggressively chemically castrate themselves regrow a lot.  Fin either made my bone dog either rubbery, or changed the sensation to where it felt rubbery.  Tried to stick with it but when my nuts started to ache BAD I jumped off.  Rogaine helps keep whats there and strengthen whats left.  Go look up more plates more dates on youtube.  He regrew a lot, he added microneedling, which basically irritates the skin and in some cases causes hair to grow to combat what it thinks is mild abrasion to the skin.  I had a buddy with the shittiest patchy beard who did dermaneedling and now he has a respectable beard, but thats a different type of hair.  

Fucking sucks.  One day they will be able to clone hair follicles and implant them but $$$$$$$$$$.

I like the stubble look. If you can pull that off they have a tattoo like pigmentation that isnt permanent unless you want it permanent.  Im kinda warming up to that.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 5:32:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm 31 and went bald super fast starting at 29.

Probably had a lot to do with stressors in my life, I miss it, but just shave it down now.

It must be God's way of giving other guys a chance, because with hair, I'm just too damned handsome

Good luck in your quest for hanging onto your hair OP, from what I know about the subject, you'rw on the right track, but you'll be on it for the rest of your life.
View Quote

that is how I feel. I started thinning young (now 45) and am 5'8" so doubled cursed. Never had a problem getting women, and I just worked out my whole life since I could control that. I still have a full head of thinning hair. I don't bic but i keep it cut short. Wife likes it.

99% of women don't really care and the only people that ever gave me grief were guys.

Link Posted: 6/10/2021 7:05:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Didn’t make any difference in that regard even though I’m maintaining around 200, up from 0. It did give me a huge energy boost, though. I’m 39 now. Started the whole regimen when I was 37.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I started going bald at age 18.  I tried both Rogaine and Propecia without effect.

December 25, 2002 I decided it was time to do what I should have done when I was 18.  SHAVE MY HEAD.

It is the best thing ever!  I've been shaving it ever since and like a bald friend told me "you'll get more dates" he was right.

I dated way more and way hotter girls.  When I shave my head (if I let it grow out say 1/4 of an inch) I feel "younger."  

My current GF is 9 years younger than me, the hottest and most fit girl I've ever dated, and she loves my bald head.

SHAVE YOUR HEAD.  
View Quote

You are “dating” a girl in a foreign country from the internet. You are the last person on this site to be giving dating advice.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Rubbing cow dung on mine seems to be working.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Im 52, Ive been drinking diet coke since I was 18.  Still full head of hair
View Quote

The truth of the matter is we're all wired differently and one man's cure is another man's disease.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

And whether they like it or not, bald guys get less respect.
View Quote

LoL WUT?
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

My ex went absolutely batshit crazy for about three weeks,  I made her an appt with a hormone doc and her labs showed zero T.  Put her on a troche and she bounced back to her typical, yet tolerable crazy level in a few days.  

Hormone balance is so damn important for damn near everything about us.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#25]
It will work, just takes time.  I started in early 30’s, 15 years later my hair is thicker than it was then and now only take 1/2 pill of finasteride, haven’t used minoxidil in a decade, no side effects at all.

Over about 1 or 2 years it stabilizes your loss then begins to show modest improvement IME

ETA bonus advice: Nizoral shampoo is easy and may help

https://www.forhims.com/blog/truths-and-myths-about-ketoconazole-and-hair-loss
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I tried it for a little while, then got on board the "fuck it" train and started shaving. Didn't help me, but I didn't do it for very long.

I get comments from people all the time about my shaved head looking good so I guess I made the right decision.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Many years ago I tried finasteride. I started balding early and it's hard to deal with. After one week it was obvious it was effecting my erections. I looked online and found message boards full of guys with the same issues, all were told by their doctor that these side affects are "very rare". Some guys said they were having issues a year or more after stopping taking it. I stopped immediately and dealt with hair loss with clippers.

This and experience with side effects with other meds is also the reason I don't believe official stats for drug side effects. I think the trials are set up to paint a rosy picture and then doctors will simply not believe any body who reports side effects cause "it's not supposed to do that".

Link Posted: 6/14/2021 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Been using minoxidil for years. Unless you have more hair than when you started using it I don't see how you can know if it helps or not.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top