BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would it be possible to grade the slab away from the door frame, with a grate drain the width of the slab below the bottom stair?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you need at least 5 times the drain area.  i'm telling you, you need at least 5 times the drain area.
i live in the same northeast region as you do -- and you need at least 5 times the drain area.
Would it be possible to grade the slab away from the door frame, with a grate drain the width of the slab below the bottom stair?
Every single stairway that I have seen has a drain at the bottom of the stairs, and I have never heard a customer complain about water intrusion.  I get it, it COULD happen, but it happens in the northeast without ANY exterior exit as well.  Basements flooding without property drainage is most definitely a thing.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Sergeant Bilko. Welcome to Earth.

I had to look up Bilco doors as well. That’s what growing up in slab built houses will do to you.
View Quote
LOL gotcha.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 4:57:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

At least up here we have full basements. They almost all have bilco doors or regular entry doors with stairs. It really depends on how the house was constructed.

Basements usually contain washer, dryer , furnace, hot water heater, HVAC items. chest freezers and things of that nature. A full basement needs an exterior entrance period.
View Quote
The house I built in Michigan has a Bilco door (steel outer cover with a second door at the bottom). It's great for moving big and heavy stuff in and out of the basement. Beats the hell out of trying to maneuver stuff down the stairway inside the house.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I had to look up Bilco doors as well. That’s what growing up in slab built houses will do to you.
View Quote
I had to look up Bilco as well, despite my last house having had one.  I think it's one of those Jello vs. gelatin dessert type deals.

We always called them cellar doors.  The conceit being that a basement has inside access versus a cellar having outside access only.  So, Bilco brand cellar doors? I don't know.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Those full-blown open designs look good on any home, but a lot of people don’t realize that they fill up with snow and all kinds of bullshit and require frequent cleaning.
View Quote
A drain/dry well is usually at the bottom of those cellar doors.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 5:07:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So your drainage was done improperly and you are lacking on property maintenance.  I get it.
View Quote
wrong on both counts.

1) i have a 5" drain, not a clog-prone 3" drain as shown in that picture.  
with that 3" setup, and enough rain, enough wind, enough leaves, enough snow, etc, the water will be in under the doors.
i guess you can call your landscaping crew at 2am in the middle of the storm and tell them there are leaves clogging the drain.

2) ask the arfcom contingent or google pics what my (DIY) property looks like, it won't take too long for you to find pictures.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
wrong on both counts.

with that 3" setup, and enough rain, enough wind, enough leaves, enough snow, etc, the water will be in under the doors.
i guess you can call your landscaping crew at 2am in the middle of the storm and tell them there are leaves clogging the drain.

2) ask the arfcom contingent or google pics what my (DIY) property looks like, it won't take too long for you to find pictures.

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So your drainage was done improperly and you are lacking on property maintenance.  I get it.
wrong on both counts.

ar-jedi
I've seen pictures of your property, but they are pretty much meaningless as to whether things were done properly or not.  I get it, YOU have problems with your stairs.  When done properly, most people will NOT have problems, and in OP's case, bilco doors are more than acceptable on his style home.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 5:14:55 PM EDT
[#8]
If the house is over 700 or 750k then bilco doors are inappropriate.

Link Posted: 7/7/2019 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Same always just called um cellar doors
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't know that was the name of the thing
Same always just called um cellar doors
Same here. Our house when I was a kid had one, but made of wood. Much better for getting large objects in and out than having to navigate through the house. Hadn't thought about it in years, but kind of wishing my house had one now.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 5:21:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/aa/f6/ce/aaf6ce109d5688e758a653289c36113d.jpg
View Quote
Not sure if serious.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Those full-blown open designs look good on any home, but a lot of people don't realize that they fill up with snow and all kinds of bullshit and require frequent cleaning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Those full-blown open designs look good on any home, but a lot of people don't realize that they fill up with snow and all kinds of bullshit and require frequent cleaning.
Around here that would be full of leaves and debris in under a week.

$.5M to $13M homes here.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 5:26:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

$.5M to $13M homes here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$.5M to $13M homes here.
lol

We are probably all in the same area, and I am in those homes every day.  They don't have problems (especially with leaves and debris...because landscapers).
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Our house is a custom designed one-off build - about 3500 sq ft. We live on an old farm serviced by an "improved farm road" (dirt/gravel) in northeast PA. The original plan called for a walk-out basement in the rear. Only the center portion of the house has a basement under it - the rest is on slab. When we got the final price we opted to cut the walk-out and added a bilco door in the front tucked into one of the angles of the house to blend it visually into the side of the front porch. Honestly, we're much happier with it as it is now. Lynn put plants around it so you barely notice it most of the year. Functionally, it is much easier to access from the driveway than walking around the back of the house - especially in winter. The door accesses our utility room from where you can get to the finished portion. We also have a full freezer and extra refrigerator freezer in the utility room. Carrying heavy items for the freezer, beer for the fridge, etc is much more convenient directly from the car downstairs without going through the house..or around the house works for me.

Link Posted: 7/7/2019 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I wish I had a basement.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 10:53:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 6:51:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/aa/f6/ce/aaf6ce109d5688e758a653289c36113d.jpg
View Quote
You won't get plywood down those stairs...

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 7:25:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

why exactly does the basement need an exterior entrance?
View Quote
For basement bedrooms some local codes require one.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 7:41:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I didn't know what a Bilco style door was.
View Quote
Not going to lie...I didn't either and had one on a house I grew up in The house the wife and I just bought has the French doors with the walkout from the basement, hell it looks just like the picture someone posted with the only difference it walks out to a good sized patio and stairs to a deck.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 8:26:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Some of those Bilco doors are really well done.

The one hidden in the deck looks great
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 10:33:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Some of those Bilco doors are really well done.

The one hidden in the deck looks great
View Quote
I have a basement stair causing issues in my landscaping/deck design,  I might just copy that.

Kharn
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top