Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does Oklahoma City count as "big" for these purposes?
View Quote

Like any big city it has plenty of bad parts.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 7:45:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Now?
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Big cities have always been cesspools.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yes they are all like that.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I graduated from Wichita State about 30 years ago. At that time there were some pretty rough areas. Hopefully it’s not worse than I remember as the majority of the city was GTG. Salina only counts as a big city to people from Kansas
View Quote

We’ve been in Wichita 25 years.
Not only has it grown, it’s gotten better and there’s a civic pride that’s palpable. The city flag is everywhere, on people’s clothes, on their cars, on stores, etc…
Civic art is a big thing here now, and the downtown/Riverwalk area is going through a renaissance.
We have a gorgeous new arena, a Cabela’s (which used to be cool before BP…), Dave and Busters, Top Golf, all the stuff of a city much larger. Lots of money in Wichita.

Hell, we even have a B-29…

Honestly, we moved here from Orlando, and CA before that. We’re still here because it’s so damn easy to live here.
Cost of living and real estate are sane. Job market is multi-faceted and good. And you can get anywhere from here.. we’re right in the middle.
KS has the best gun and knife laws in the country (sorry AZ), and hunting is legit.
Plus, I’m in town, but can be in the sticks in twenty minutes. And it gets cold enough to keep the bums limited.

Our GM from FL recently visited and was blown away.
People are nice here. It’s the Midwest.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes they are all like that.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:33:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Every one run by leftists.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#8]
There’s areas that are VERY nice immaculate in the $5,000 a month price range neighborhoods.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:42:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Stockton is 87% a shithole
Suspected serial killer in northern California arrested | GMA
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#10]
San Diego?

Spent a week there pre Covid and it was not bad. Not sure how the last two years have changed it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:48:45 PM EDT
[#11]
They pretty much always have been.

You see a lot less fucks given where homeless people are allowed to congregate but for the most part they've always been there.

Granted our population has expanded a but so a similar percentage could look a lot worse in a rapidly expanding area.

West coast is not a terrible place to be homeless between weather and benefits. So i think cali is certainly worse than ever.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#12]
What seems to be the common denominator…anything obvious?
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Diversity is their strength.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 9:56:18 PM EDT
[#15]
The Vegas Strip is physically dirty IMO but it's a great time.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 9:58:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Kansas City, Wichita, Tulsa, OKC, and Ft. Worth are all pretty good for “Big Cities”. They are also far less liberal than most.

There are certainly liberals and shitty areas in all of the places above, but there’s absolutely no comparison to a San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, etc.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 10:02:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Not sure if Boise counts as “big” but it seemed decent enough the couple times I was their.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 7:58:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not only has it grown, it’s gotten better and there’s a civic pride that’s palpable. The city flag is everywhere, on people’s clothes, on their cars, on stores, etc…
Civic art is a big thing here now, and the downtown/Riverwalk area is going through a renaissance.
We have a gorgeous new arena, a Cabela’s (which used to be cool before BP…), Dave and Busters, Top Golf, all the stuff of a city much larger. Lots of money in Wichita.

Honestly, we moved here from Orlando, and CA before that. We’re still here because it’s so damn easy to live here.
Cost of living and real estate are sane. Job market is multi-faceted and good. And you can get anywhere from here.. we’re right in the middle.
KS has the best gun and knife laws in the country (sorry AZ), and hunting is legit.
Plus, I’m in town, but can be in the sticks in twenty minutes. And it gets cold enough to keep the bums limited.

View Quote

Sounds about right. I miss Kansas
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

In town for a few days, first time since Mardi Gras 2020, and the downtown NOLA area is an order of magnitude shittier than it was two years ago. The amount of graffiti and trash everywhere was immediately noticeable. The burned out car and pickup truck on the way to Charlie's Steakhouse was a nice touch too...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
New Orleans actually smells a little better these days, but probably twice as liklely to get shot, stabbed, murdered, car jacked or raped

In town for a few days, first time since Mardi Gras 2020, and the downtown NOLA area is an order of magnitude shittier than it was two years ago. The amount of graffiti and trash everywhere was immediately noticeable. The burned out car and pickup truck on the way to Charlie's Steakhouse was a nice touch too...

ah yes, it's starting to remind me of pre katrina
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 8:31:36 AM EDT
[#21]
The only city I have to go into with any semblance of regularity is Louisville. I'm not crazy about the place, especially downtown, but never personally had any trouble there. Other family members have.

At least Kentucky is very carry friendly.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Downtown Pittsburgh, the strip district, and the south side works are nice. East carson st is old school Pittsburgh and theres a ton of good food down there, but I keep my head on a swivel if I'm walking down the sidewalk. Sections of Frankstown road look like they're straight out of 1980s Harlem. Only road I kept my gun on my lap while driving. Fuck that place.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 8:52:25 AM EDT
[#23]
All cities are disgusting and always have been. @whiskersthecat
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 8:54:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah, Singapore, where they throw you in jail for litter and just shoot you for drugs.
View Quote

Funny, I never had a problem living there. But then, I don’t litter or do drugs. Those things are perfectly acceptable in Philadelphia, San Francisco etc…works well for us.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Does Oklahoma City count as "big" for these purposes?
View Quote

OKC has about 1 million people with thousands of Texans moving here on the daily. But OKC seems to doing pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:00:37 AM EDT
[#26]
No, not all like that.

I was in Phoenix and Miami earlier this month for work. Both are great town for different reasons. San Diego has visible military / fitness culture, and fitness is a root form of accountability. Toronto has a lot of the benefits of NYC without the vibe like you might get stabbed walking down the street. Just four examples. Each has it's seedy parts, which one would do well to stay out of regardless of what party holds office for that city / state / province.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:08:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s awesome to hear there’s one city that doesn’t suck ass

Watching downtown Phoenix turn into a junky run shithole has been sad.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:09:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I think Dallas and Fort Worth are good examples to look at. Dallas being a liberal run shit hole and Fort Worth being relative conservative but slowly turning more purple than I would like to see. I used to live in downtown Dallas - I've seen homeless shitting in the streets, drugged out zombie looking fuckers, trash hoarders piling shit up at bus stops, 7/11 locations that look like a watering hole in Africa as far as danger is concerned, folks with schizophrenia walking around and talking or yelling to nothing, street racers closing off intersections and doing donuts while shooting off fireworks, homeless coming into a restaurant and demanding a bit of your food, a couple of shootings, race riots in 2020, more protests that I would have cared to listen to outside my window. I had enough, sold and went across town to a sleepy nice affluent suburb and its fucking awesome despite the across DFW drive to work. Downtown Fort Worth is starting to have more homeless, but they are mostly kept to a certain area. I think Fort Worth has better kept streets than Dallas, better staffing with PD and fire, better sanitation. I do think the Tax dollars in tarrant ciunty are better spent than Dallas. I will never live in Dallas County again.
View Quote

Dallas is a strange place. While they may have a dem mayor. Most of downtown is owned by just a couple families and they keep the dem mayor under control. Without them Dallas would be hell.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:10:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Tokyo and Zurich seem fine.

Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I think the KS side of KC is pretty nice, and downtown KCMO seems decent from our last visit.

Wichita is a small city and I don’t see those issues here either.

Even Salina, when I was there a few months ago, surprised me at how much the downtown has developed and cleaned up.
Topeka’s a shithole still IMO.

The places I go in OKC and Dallas seem good, but Austin’s turned into a CA cesspool.
View Quote

Really surprised to hear Wichita is not that bad.. there was some really bad places along broadway and near WSU.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:16:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Zurich has some pretty aggressive drug addicts, but at least you can have guns there. As for the rest of the police state world cities people cite—nice to visit, but no thanks for living there.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:18:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
All cities are disgusting and always have been. @whiskersthecat
View Quote

Based.

Plato's Republic btfo
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:20:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Just put a fence aroud them, no one let out.
City prison
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yeah, Singapore, where they throw you in jail for litter and just shoot you for drugs.
View Quote

You sound like a liberal that is soft on crime. What else can you do with mentally ill homeless that rape, murder , and rape.

A stronger war on drugs? You mean like shooting druggies or putting them in "reeducation" camps aka detox?
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:24:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Both places with strong white culture and pride in that culture.

The wrong side lost that war.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#37]
The biggest cities in Wyoming and South Dakota are still safe, somewhat conservative and fiscally doing OK.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#39]
I had to dodge human shit on the sidewalks in downtown Orlando last weekend. The homeless are out of control and all the organizations "helping" them just encourage more to come here. We are even starting to see some spread to the burbs in noticeable numbers.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:42:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I had to dodge human shit on the sidewalks in downtown Orlando last weekend. The homeless are out of control and all the organizations "helping" them just encourage more to come here. We are even starting to see some spread to the burbs in noticeable numbers.
View Quote

If only there was a way to permanently stop the issue. Noooooooo, that's meannnnnnnnnnnn. -GD libruhls
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:47:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Let’s ask the question in another manner: Can anyone name a large city that isn’t like that?
View Quote

I can objectively say Detroit has been steadily getting better for at least a decade now.  Still a dump by most measures but is slowly going the right direction.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:59:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Not sure if Boise counts as “big” but it seemed decent enough the couple times I was their.
View Quote

My parents live near Boise and I've been there a few times. I wouldn't call it a big city. It is pretty nice, as is most of the area. The lack of "diversity" is largely why it's the way it is there.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Pretty much.  I have to go to a lot of cities for work.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
New Orleans actually smells a little better these days, but probably twice as liklely to get shot, raped, stabbed, murdered, car jacked or raped
View Quote

I added an extra "raped" for you because you forgot to say raped twice.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 10:46:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
We're vacationing in Savanah right now, last time was 5 years ago. The other day we were down on River Street and the increase in homeless was astounding.
View Quote
Savannah is a shit hole, we were there at the beginning of August and it smelled of piss, pot and patchouli.

We lasted about 5 minutes, got back on the waterfront ferry and went to Tybee
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 10:46:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I honestly have no idea how to fix it, without state-funded (and compulsory) mental health treatment. Which itself presents its own unintended consequences, admittedly.

The overwhelming majority of the homeless are suffering from severe, untreated mental illness - often exacerbated by drug and alcohol addiction. I'm of the opinion that "helping" them without addressing this, is actually cruel. Like you said, it's just enabling them to continue their downward spiral. It's cruel.

I suppose any given city can hypothetically just round them up and ship them somewhere else for violating a "no camping in city limits" ordinance, but you're just squeezing a balloon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I honestly have no idea how to fix it, without state-funded (and compulsory) mental health treatment. Which itself presents its own unintended consequences, admittedly.

The overwhelming majority of the homeless are suffering from severe, untreated mental illness - often exacerbated by drug and alcohol addiction. I'm of the opinion that "helping" them without addressing this, is actually cruel. Like you said, it's just enabling them to continue their downward spiral. It's cruel.

I suppose any given city can hypothetically just round them up and ship them somewhere else for violating a "no camping in city limits" ordinance, but you're just squeezing a balloon.
There are fixes that have worked historically, but they aren't currently socially acceptable.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Chicago Loop was a great place to work and party. Since Beetlejuice got elected the Loop is horrible.  Feces and piss all over the sidewalks. Two years I'm out of here!
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Yes
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Let’s ask the question in another manner: Can anyone name a large city that isn’t like that?
View Quote

I get paid to visit them all, and no, I can’t think of a single one I would visit for fun.  

Interestingly Santiago Chile had a nice feel to it.  In Dublin, there were lots of African street hustlers, but the only down and out beggars I saw, were young Irishmen.  That was sad.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top