Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 9:02:30 PM EDT
[#1]

When I was in my late teens, I really wanted an FZR-400, even though I was way too big for a bike that size.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Gsxr600 here. Plenty fast on the straightaways and light enough to corner very nicely.

More than enough to make me ded if I get too complacent
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 9:13:46 PM EDT
[#3]
This is about as much fun on the street as I can stand

Attachment Attached File

847 cc triple, 0 - 60 in 2.7 seconds (well, not with my fat ass on it, but you get the idea).  
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A competent rider on a well set up 300,450 whatever will not hang with a rider of equal skill on a well sorted sport bike in the 600cc and up category.
Twisties, straights, whereever.
View Quote
On a track? Absolutely.

On the street? You're a fool to think a public road is anything resembling a race course. The question posed by the OP specifically deals with street use. I guess you could say that I'm adding the assumption that one is talking about sane, reasonable street use, but I'm pretty sure OP was thinking the same thing.

Nobody can ride anywhere near the limits of even a 600 on an open public roadway in anything resembling a safe manner. (Not to mention most riders can't even make the most of a 600 on a track, but I digress.) There are far too many variables - road condition, unexpected debris, wildlife, other traffic (both same and opposing directions). Lots of opportunities for a really bad day. And dealing with all of those around blind, twisty corners, where the amount of time to react can already be small at a reasonable pace, let alone somebody thinking that the road is their personal racetrack.

Great example of such a situation: On the Cherohala last September, we came around one bend to find a tree down across the road. Not just a branch. The whole damn thing. It covered the entire lane we were in - the only possible route was to go through what was open in the opposing lane. By the time this was visible, there wasn't much space left to react. At a spirited but still reasonable pace, we were able to navigate this obstacle without trouble. But some of those that passed us on the same route that day? Well, if they had happened upon the same spot at the same time as traffic in the opposing direction (leaving no possibility aside from braking, hard and fast), I highly doubt things would have ended well. And that's a pretty big gamble to be taking, IMO.

ETA - IDGAF if you want to be an idiot and race around narrow-laned public roadways with blind curves at 100+. Same as if you don't want to ride with gear. But in either case, don't try to tell me that it is in any way safe, sane, or reasonable. (And I guess in before the anti-motorcycling "it's never reasonable or safe" comments...)
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 11:27:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

On a track? Absolutely.

On the street? You're a fool to think a public road is anything resembling a race course. The question posed by the OP specifically deals with street use. I guess you could say that I'm adding the assumption that one is talking about sane, reasonable street use, but I'm pretty sure OP was thinking the same thing.

Nobody can ride anywhere near the limits of even a 600 on an open public roadway in anything resembling a safe manner. (Not to mention most riders can't even make the most of a 600 on a track, but I digress.) There are far too many variables - road condition, unexpected debris, wildlife, other traffic (both same and opposing directions). Lots of opportunities for a really bad day. And dealing with all of those around blind, twisty corners, where the amount of time to react can already be small at a reasonable pace, let alone somebody thinking that the road is their personal racetrack.

Great example of such a situation: On the Cherohala last September, we came around one bend to find a tree down across the road. Not just a branch. The whole damn thing. It covered the entire lane we were in - the only possible route was to go through what was open in the opposing lane. By the time this was visible, there wasn't much space left to react. At a spirited but still reasonable pace, we were able to navigate this obstacle without trouble. But some of those that passed us on the same route that day? Well, if they had happened upon the same spot at the same time as traffic in the opposing direction (leaving no possibility aside from braking, hard and fast), I highly doubt things would have ended well. And that's a pretty big gamble to be taking, IMO.

ETA - IDGAF if you want to be an idiot and race around narrow-laned public roadways with blind curves at 100+. Same as if you don't want to ride with gear. But in either case, don't try to tell me that it is in any way safe, sane, or reasonable. (And I guess in before the anti-motorcycling "it's never reasonable or safe" comments...)
View Quote
When op opened with “ ride circles around bigger bikes in the twisties” I figured that excluded safe sane legal riding, you clearly took a different meaning.
Yes, shit happens while riding, my opinion remains.
(Safe sane and legal are overrated)
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 12:15:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not seeing any tires on any of these posted bikes showing any signs of real use in the twisties...
View Quote
I'll go ahead and represent the goofs that ride dirtbikes with street tires.

Link Posted: 8/2/2018 12:24:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Not more fun.

If you have ridden a 600+ cc bike you will miss the throttle response and top end. Every ride will be a huge dissapointment.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 12:48:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Sort of on topic what was the bike Maverick rode in top gun>?

I have a Harley and I am so ready to dump that and get a touring bike

the BMW are sweet
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 1:28:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I agree with the anybody can go fast on a high output bike part, but in the second part of your post you’re comparing riders, not bikes.
I love singles and small bores and agree that they can be a hoot to ride, but some folks seem to think they are “just as good as” bigger bikes in the same scenarios.

A competent rider on a well set up 300,450 whatever will not hang with a rider of equal skill on a well sorted sport bike in the 600cc and up category.

If you are hanging with a dude on a 1000cc sportbike, who knows how to ride, while you’re on your ninja 300 or 450 supermoto, it’s because he is letting you.

But many will continue to indulge in the fantasy
View Quote
Lol.

There was an interview with Mat Mladin back in the early-mid 2000s where he said this:
"There is no doubt that getting through that turn on a Superbike is hard work and slower than a 600 (as are all turns where you have to use partial throttle throughout). How do I know? Because we test there and share the track with 600's throughout testing. When you follow one in there and get on its back wheel, it is impossible to hold it through and exiting the turn. It is actually hard work to get past a 600 up the straight before the next turn as he has gapped you enough and turned the throttle wide open and exited while the Superbike is still trying to get it past quarter throttle. If both bikes are being pushed to their limits, the 600 will go through the turn faster than the Superbike."

Maybe early 2000s Mladin just wasn't competent enough?
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 2:35:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Like.
I use to have a VF 500 Interceptor. It was dog slow compared to the 600s of the day. But then, that's probably why I'm still alive.
View Quote
I have a friend who had one of those when they first came out.
It may not have been "fast" but it was quick and it handled really well.
As far as the 600's of the day, when it came out there were no 600's.
The 500 came out in 1984.
There were no 600 Hurricanes, 600 Ninjas, GSXR600's or FZ-600R's.
Yamaha did have the FJ600, the VF500 was a better bike in my opinion.
Kawasaki had the GpZ550.

Susuki had the GS550.

When the 600 Hurricane and the 600 Ninja came out the following year then it was lights out for the VF500.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 2:43:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It had an aluminum frame and USD forks while every 600 still had a steel frame
View Quote
They always forget the 1987 Kawasaki aluminum framed 600 RX Ninja.

Link Posted: 8/2/2018 3:17:02 AM EDT
[#12]
This thread isn't helping me with the irrational idea of adding a RC390 or Ninja 400 to my garage when there is a perfectly good 500 sitting in there already...
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:14:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I agree with the anybody can go fast on a high output bike part, but in the second part of your post you’re comparing riders, not bikes.
I love singles and small bores and agree that they can be a hoot to ride, but some folks seem to think they are “just as good as” bigger bikes in the same scenarios.

If you are hanging with a dude on a 1000cc sportbike, who knows how to ride, while you’re on your ninja 300 or 450 supermoto, it’s because he is letting you.

But many will continue to indulge in the fantasy
View Quote
It depends on the situation. on the street, yeah the extra power is gonna easily make up the difference, but on a tight track the smaller bikes can really corner way, way better due to the low weight. I'm telling you equally advanced riders on KTM 390 RC's times are equal with 600-750cc riders. now there's just no way they're keeping up with a liter bike.  I mean over 100hp additional is a pretty mean hurdle to overcome.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Lol.

There was an interview with Mat Mladin back in the early-mid 2000s where he said this:
"There is no doubt that getting through that turn on a Superbike is hard work and slower than a 600 (as are all turns where you have to use partial throttle throughout). How do I know? Because we test there and share the track with 600's throughout testing. When you follow one in there and get on its back wheel, it is impossible to hold it through and exiting the turn. It is actually hard work to get past a 600 up the straight before the next turn as he has gapped you enough and turned the throttle wide open and exited while the Superbike is still trying to get it past quarter throttle. If both bikes are being pushed to their limits, the 600 will go through the turn faster than the Superbike."

Maybe early 2000s Mladin just wasn't competent enough?
View Quote
I've heard a few times that a good rider on a 600 will be better on twisties because its more nimble then a larger bike and if you don't have a long enough straightaway you can't really use the 1000cc engine to its full capabilities. Note this is in reference to the same rider on a 600CC vs on 1000CC all other things the same.

There is a video of Josh Herrin on a standard bike on some twisties (Its  900). He recently put a video up on his Instagram that he bought the same bike but in 700 for street riding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vImKRlkibvI
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#15]
CRF250L with all of about 24 horsepower. Brings a smile to my face every time I get a chance to ride it, but it will not run circles around anything motorized. I think of it as the suppressed .22 pistol everyone should have. Not a great choice for HD or CCW, but life is about balance.

Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:29:10 AM EDT
[#16]
So I used to do track days at VIR with my 08 YZF-R1 and my buddy would run his little 125 sometimes and he could throw that thing around like crazy in the turns. But he could never keep up with the liter bikes or the 600's with people that knew how to ride them properly.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:33:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not more fun.

If you have ridden a 600+ cc bike you will miss the throttle response and top end. Every ride will be a huge dissapointment.
View Quote
I have an RSV4,the only thing it isn’t fast compared to is a spec sheet. It is brutally quick and massive overkill for not just public roads but our tracks that don’t have much for straights.

I still have just as much,if not more,fun keeping a 2T 250 on the boil and railing corners. I get off them with a huge smile,not a frown of disappointment but I have a fair clue how to ride.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:38:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

http://automotoclassicsale.com/sites/default/files/ebay_111604483067_3.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It had an aluminum frame and USD forks while every 600 still had a steel frame

http://automotoclassicsale.com/sites/default/files/ebay_111604483067_3.jpg
True and I always thought it was dumb that nobody else made a sport production 600 using a 400 chassis. A CBR400RR with another 200 ccs would have been mega.
Really though,they were making huge profit selling dumbed down 400s so what they were doing worked.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This is about as much fun on the street as I can stand

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/119988/FZ-09-626626.JPG

847 cc triple, 0 - 60 in 2.7 seconds (well, not with my fat ass on it, but you get the idea).  
View Quote
Yes, I just got the 2018 mt-09 version, great bike.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

True and I always thought it was dumb that nobody else made a sport production 600 using a 400 chassis. A CBR400RR with another 200 ccs would have been mega.
Really though,they were making huge profit selling dumbed down 400s so what they were doing worked.
View Quote
Just get a CR500AF and motard it. ~230-240lbs, can be pushed north of 60hp and 50ft.lbs. That puts you about a 0.25hp/lb ratio.  Or just get out the grinder, welder, and get to engine swapping a 600 into a 300 chassis.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
If I got another bike it would be a new FZ-09 or FJ-09
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 11:20:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just get a CR500AF and motard it. ~230-240lbs, can be pushed north of 60hp and 50ft.lbs. That puts you about a 0.25hp/lb ratio.
View Quote
I know a guy...

Same guy...
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes for the 18 model year, they replaced the FZ name with MT, I believe to align with the Euro naming of the same model.  I was a bit confused when I first checked out the new models, I was looking for the FZ specifically, and only found 2017 models.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yes for the 18 model year, they replaced the FZ name with MT, I believe to align with the Euro naming of the same model.  I was a bit confused when I first checked out the new models, I was looking for the FZ specifically, and only found 2017 models.
View Quote
I think your correct.

My MSF instructor has a FZ-09, sweet bike.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I think your correct.

My MSF instructor has a FZ-09, sweet bike.
View Quote
Yeah, I was thinking of the '17, I like the updated headlights better than the original.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 1:36:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sort of on topic what was the bike Maverick rode in top gun>?

I have a Harley and I am so ready to dump that and get a touring bike

the BMW are sweet
View Quote
‘84-85 Kawasaki 900 Ninja.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 1:52:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Not seeing any tires on any of these posted bikes showing any signs of real use in the twisties...
View Quote
This as about as far as I am comfortable pushing the 996 on the street (note the darker "chicken strip" below my index finger). It's my first bike in nearly 20 years, and I've only ridden it a couple hundred miles. I have no desire to scorch around blind corners into unexpected objects, so most of my leaned-over fun is in lower speed corners. The tires still have mold spew because they are brand new.

Link Posted: 8/2/2018 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

‘84-85 Kawasaki 900 Ninja.
View Quote
Notice that Tom Cruise had to sit on the gas tank in order to reach Charlie.

Link Posted: 8/2/2018 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This as about as far as I am comfortable pushing the 996 on the street (note the darker "chicken strip" below my index finger). It's my first bike in nearly 20 years, and I've only ridden it a couple hundred miles. I have no desire to scorch around blind corners into unexpected objects, so most of my leaned-over fun is in lower speed corners. The tires still have mold spew because they are brand new.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53615/IMG_0565_JPG-627220.jpg
View Quote
On my Husky, with a stock 150 rear, I was rolling the sidewall over on new tires.
Once I bumped up to a 160, the tread is a lot steeper at the sidewall transition.  Now it won't rub that edge without dragging hard (peg mount) parts, and that's at ~55+deg.
My peg sliders tell the story, I make my own from black delrin, had to replace them a couple times.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 2:06:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
On my Husky, with a stock 150 rear, I was rolling the sidewall over on new tires.
Once I bumped up to a 160, the tread is a lot steeper at the sidewall transition.  Now it won't rub that edge without dragging hard (peg mount) parts, and that's at ~55+deg.
My peg sliders tell the story, I make my own from black delrin, had to replace them a couple times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually dropped to a 180 rear from the original 190 for a less abrupt profile.  Dragging boot toe sliders on rearsets is fun, but I haven't done that since I was single.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't push my bike very hard on the street either but during the MSF course there were 3 of us with riding experience and the instructor told us to have a little fun on some of the stuff. I scraped the pegs/my boot on the TW200 I was riding, that was really unexpected. I'm with you though, I'd rather not end up as a hood ornament or as roadside decoration just to prove myself with skinny chicken strips.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 3:08:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Looks like your using enough tire to warm the belly

Mine looked the same way until around 800 miles
when I got back to it after a two and a half decade
break

I still Managed to wear it to the cords in 3400 miles even with
MTC and ABS though
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 3:29:32 PM EDT
[#33]
This is the best my chicken strips get from 100% street riding.  I actually found it was easier to burn them off all the way when I wasn’t turning correctly.  Now that I lean my upper body into the turn, the bike doesn’t have to lean as much and I can go around the turns much faster.  But the chicken strips stay wider.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This is the best my chicken strips get from 100% street riding.  I actually found it was easier to burn them off all the way when I wasn’t turning correctly.  Now that I lean my upper body into the turn, the bike doesn’t have to lean as much and I can go around the turns much faster.  But the chicken strips stay wider.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/68579/C596F475-4387-49AA-8B47-B20DB3A5B228-627313.JPG
View Quote
Smart man. I've not done any trackdays but am enough of a nerd to have studied Twist of the Wrist (books 1&2 + video) & Total Control a few times.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Personally I don't feel comfortable on anything other than a liter bike.

I like to be the fastest person on any particular piece of roadway.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 6:53:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Personally I don't feel comfortable on anything other than a liter bike.

I like to be the fastest person on any particular piece of roadway.
View Quote
I like your style...
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
I had a friend who put a FZR600 engine in his FZR400 frame.
That was a nice little ride.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 7:34:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
True and I always thought it was dumb that nobody else made a sport production 600 using a 400 chassis.
View Quote
So like a SV, but in supersport form?

(The SV650 started life as the SV400 in Japan...)
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#39]
All bike are fun to ride. Liter bikes are a special kind of fun.

Having 155 hp to the wheels...priceless.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The smaller cc bikes like the 150cc class are popular in Asia where their tracks tend to be tighter and shorter, it's a lot of fun to go watch those guys absolutely flog those small bikes.  You can buy replica race bikes for under $3000 so they're pretty popular though not nearly so popular as the much more practical underbone bikes.  HONDA CBR150R Repsol

The guy in the yellow is rocking it old school.  LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDJZjdKai24
View Quote
Awesome video!
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:48:45 PM EDT
[#42]
In my opinion 675 cc’s is the right amount!
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:49:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
You keep hearing people say they ride circles around the bigger bikes in the twisties.  The Yamaha YZF-R3 looks like a fun bike.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/XBOpL5cuZqM/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote
No
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:55:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
True and I always thought it was dumb that nobody else made a sport production 600 using a 400 chassis.

Most of the 600s were based on 400s but with cost cutting. The Ninja 600 came from the GPz400,the Hurricane was a steel framed CBR400 Aero with a dumbed down motor -which then showed up in the CB-1 naked-,the FZR600 was a steel framed,stroked 400,the first ZX6R was very much based on the ZXR400 but made ugly.

Example though: Honda had an aluminum framed 400 with gear driven cams in 1986. How long did it take to give their 600 Supersport an aluminum frame?  This is what the Hurricane 600 was based on but they cut costs and went with chain driven cams...that invariable suffered CCT failure as a Honda trademark

They should have been making a 600 version of this instead of the F2

Or OH MY GOD YES

But on the real world,they would have been way too expensive
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:55:27 PM EDT
[#45]
My dad handed me the keys to his roadking when I got my endorsment and started talking buying a bike. It's big and heavy and louder than it is fast but it scratches the itch for now.  I don't know what the engine size is but it's large. I much prefer trail riding my yz250 though and can see the attraction to a smaller lighter nimbler bike for city riding.

If I was going to pickup a new bike though id get a Ducati scrambler 1100 or that new Indian flat track whatever looks nice.
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 10:58:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You keep hearing people say they ride circles around the bigger bikes in the twisties.  The Yamaha YZF-R3 looks like a fun bike.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/XBOpL5cuZqM/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote
It’s all what you are used to, and personal preferences. I have 6 bikes in the garage, including an R1M and a GSXR1000. Both are 9 second bikes, and realistically wayyy too much bike for the road or track for me. That doesn’t mean I don’t have an ass-kicking time trying my best to get the most out of them I can as often as is safe to do so.

I also have a little 125cc Honda Grom, and I enjoy the bike a lot. It’s perfect around our little lake community, even with a passenger. I can get past the lack of power compared to a ‘real’ bike as it has plenty of poke to stay with traffic and feels sophisticated enough, but what I can’t do is snap my fingers and give it good suspension, brakes, and proper handling when I want to rail around a corner.

And that’s the problem with bikes like the R3..... they are enough fun for a beginner, but someone who is used to higher spec bikes will not like the bike as well as the better equipped bikes he is used to. Bikes like the R3 have relatively crude suspension that is non adjustable, the brakes are unintimidating and soft, and the frames flex when you push them hard enough to make their less race oriented geometry feel out of place.

Any day on a bike is a good time, it just depends on on what you want and what you like. Some people like warm milk before bed, some want a 5 hour energy....
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 11:25:37 PM EDT
[#47]
I've spent a lot of time at the local driving range this year.  While a small bike would be a lot of fun,a 600cc super sport from the last 15 years will destroy them on a tight track.  Serious suspension and brake upgrades need to be made to the smaller bike to get them to turn. Dedicated track tires and tire warmers also.  By the time you get to that point, it is cheaper to buy a nice used 600.

Any of the 600cc super sports are track ready.  I run a stock 2005 cbr600rr with Dunlop q3+ tires.  Once you get some of the advanced riding skills down, the only folks going faster are on race bikes and slicks.

On a tight track, the newer liter bikes with electronic preventing high sides are hard to keep up with, and run away from you on larger tracks.

Also, the smaller bikes are a safety hazard on faster tracks like bir. When 1000cc bike is going 180mph down the straight, the 600cc bikes are doing 150+.  The 300cc class are maybe doing 100mph....  Those are some astronomical speed differentials.

1,100 miles of the rear tire until the half way from the edge to center ran out of rubber and worn to the tire casing.  400 miles of street use, the rest was at a local driving range.

Some tire dingle berries

Setting up to wear down the knee puck.

Link Posted: 8/2/2018 11:32:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I also have a little 125cc Honda Grom, and I enjoy the bike a lot. It’s perfect around our little lake community, even with a passenger. I can get past the lack of power compared to a ‘real’ bike as it has plenty of poke to stay with traffic and feels sophisticated enough, but what I can’t do is snap my fingers and give it good suspension, brakes, and proper handling when I want to rail around a corner.

And that’s the problem with bikes like the R3..... they are enough fun for a beginner, but someone who is used to higher spec bikes will not like the bike as well as the better equipped bikes he is used to.
View Quote
This is, honestly, where most people would be better off putting their money.

Getting something like an R3 or rc390 or the like and then throwing the price difference into suspension, brakes, tires, and track days will serve most people much, much better than throwing the same amount of money into a stock supersport.

True, you can't do anything about the frame, but by the time most people are going to notice a frame issue they'd be ready to step up to a nicer platform anyways.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 12:18:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
But on the real world,they would have been way too expensive
View Quote
Only one manufacturer imported a 400 class sport bike and that was Yamaha.
They bought over the FZR400 and it was made in two flavors, a 49 state bike with no EXUP Valve and the California bike with an EXUP Valve.

They cost almost as much as the FZR600.

I remember when the 750's were the class kings, no one wanted a 600.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 12:35:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I've spent a lot of time at the local driving range this year.  While a small bike would be a lot of fun,a 600cc super sport from the last 15 years will destroy them on a tight track.  Serious suspension and brake upgrades need to be made to the smaller bike to get them to turn. Dedicated track tires and tire warmers also.  By the time you get to that point, it is cheaper to buy a nice used 600.

Any of the 600cc super sports are track ready.  I run a stock 2005 cbr600rr with Dunlop q3+ tires.  Once you get some of the advanced riding skills down, the only folks going faster are on race bikes and slicks.

On a tight track, the newer liter bikes with electronic preventing high sides are hard to keep up with, and run away from you on larger tracks.

Also, the smaller bikes are a safety hazard on faster tracks like bir. When 1000cc bike is going 180mph down the straight, the 600cc bikes are doing 150+.  The 300cc class are maybe doing 100mph....  Those are some astronomical speed differentials.

https://i.imgur.com/U1EZvhN.jpg

1,100 miles of the rear tire until the half way from the edge to center ran out of rubber and worn to the tire casing.  400 miles of street use, the rest was at a local driving range.

https://i.imgur.com/r0eCsri.jpg

Some tire dingle berries

https://i.imgur.com/4n1TVqc.jpg

Setting up to wear down the knee puck.

https://i.imgur.com/AOFxBZc.jpg
View Quote
I've seen a lot of people mention the electronic rider aides in the new 1000's, but does anybody offer those same aides in the 600's?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top