Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/28/2021 9:11:00 PM EDT
I have a shop in downtown OKC that has recently begun to get a lot of homeless traffic.  Probably because the fucking retards in the city council placed a new homeless shelter in a commercial/industrial area.

Anywhoooo....the vagrants have made a habit of cutting through my property and I need to put a stop to it.  They make a mess and have attempted to contaminate the fuel in my truck.  This is about a 4' wide corridor, 6' fence on one side and steel building on the other, that I'd like to fortify.  Concertina wire is tempting but expensive, barbed wire is cheaper but not all that scary and chainlink just gets cut.  FM 5-15 has some great ideas though.

That got me thinking bushes.  I need something fast growing, resilient and a real bitch to walk through.  Bamboo was my first thought, but what else is out there?  Unconstrained growth isnt an issue, most everything else is concrete.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Rose bushes seem a pretty universal answer to this.

Concertina might seem cheap after dealing with a broken vehicle or burglarized building though.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:20:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Stumbled upon this. Interesting read. Botanical warfare
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Roses.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Around here we use cactus.
Even better if you can get Cholla to grow.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:21:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Pyracantha

bugambilia
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:21:59 PM EDT
[#6]
pyracantha and barberry
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Cactus sounds like the answer you seek.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Poison Ivy.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pyracantha
View Quote

aka firethorn
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:23:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Himalayan Blackberry. It grows to about 10 feet high and forms an impenetrable wall of razor sharp motherfuckers.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a shop in downtown OKC that has recently begun to get a lot of homeless traffic.  Probably because the fucking retards in the city council placed a new homeless shelter in a commercial/industrial area.

Anywhoooo....the vagrants have made a habit of cutting through my property and I need to put a stop to it.  They make a mess and have attempted to contaminate the fuel in my truck.  This is about a 4' wide corridor, 6' fence on one side and steel building on the other, that I'd like to fortify.  Concertina wire is tempting but expensive, barbed wire is cheaper but not all that scary and chainlink just gets cut.  FM 5-15 has some great ideas though.

That got me thinking bushes.  I need something fast growing, resilient and a real bitch to walk through.  Bamboo was my first thought, but what else is out there?  Unconstrained growth isnt an issue, most everything else is concrete.
View Quote

@Cole2534

Does it get decent sun and water?  

Can you water them at all?

I would recommend blackberry bushes, specifically Illini blackberries.  I actually have a bunch of bushes and I’d be willing to ship you some to experiment with.  The stalks that grow produce long thorns.  The first year stalks overwinter and then produce fruit the second year, after which they die.  However, they stay standing and continue to act as a barrier.  When the second year stalks are flowering and producing fruit, there are first year stalks that grow and the cycle repeats.

Another option is to add Stinging Nettles interspersed between the blackberry bushes, but they die back in the fall right back to the ground.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:24:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Rose hedge

i hate this stuff with a passion. It was brought to texas to help with fencing in cattle.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:24:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Fucking holly.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:25:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Whatever you do, talk about it with your attorney to make sure you're not setting yourself up for failure somehow.

I bet plants with prickers would be a better bet than concertina wire.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Bougainvillea. It's like if Hillary Clinton's personality was a plant.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Multi floral rose
Nasty stuff, will cut a person to shreds once it matures, spreads a lot.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#17]
put out job applications, figurines that are assembled in a way that resemble stable families, bars of soap, etc
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Holly bushes..............with razor wire in them
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

wouldnt overwinter in okc. hell pyracantha wouldnt after this passed spring
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:27:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Do cholla grow in OK?
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Multiflora rose
This shit will take over in a year. Impassable

I suggest you really research this before planting as it is prolific

I add a warning.  This is the nuclear option. This stuff grows 10 ft tall and spreads like crazy. It is resistant to roundup and other herbicides
Once started it is almost impossible to stop.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
pyracantha and barberry
View Quote

Yep, this. Can you buy poison ivy seeds?
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:29:15 PM EDT
[#24]
*laughs in himalayan blackberry*
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:29:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Bullshit.  They're attractive.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Rotunda Holly. You often see them planted in the ghetto underneath windows.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:29:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
rose hedge

https://texasinvasives.org/plant_database/detail.php?symbol=ROBR

i hate this stuff with a passion. It was brought to texas to help with fencing in cattle.
View Quote

Oh, never knew that was an introduced/invasive. That stuff is hateful.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:30:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

wouldnt overwinter in okc. hell pyracantha wouldnt after this passed spring
View Quote
That sucks. That stuff is basically concertina wire that grows.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:30:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Fucking holly.
View Quote
The good ol pain bush.

Funny story my daughter was still green to riding her bike and rode right into the holly bush.  I winced.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Around here we use cactus.
Even better if you can get Cholla to grow.
View Quote

Cholla will keep even the most determined/mentally deficient bum out for sure.

Holly bushes are pretty pokey too and might grow in more locations.

Also, motion detecting sprinklers might help as well.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:30:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Kudzu, and poison ivy.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:32:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
*laughs in himalayan blackberry*
View Quote

This right here [/Thread]

It grows fast, is brutally pokey, but good luck ever getting rid of it.

Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:33:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Multiflora rose
This shit will take over in a year. Impassable

I suggest you really research this before planting as it is prolific
View Quote

Yep, that shit is nature's version of concertina wire. Not even an NVA sapper could wriggle through an area covered with mature multifloral rose.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Raspberry and Blackberry bushes are pretty gnarly, plus you'll get free berries. Downside is that they'll attract bears, kinda like menstruation.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:35:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Spanish Bayonets.  I ran into one of those one time and had blood running from my thigh into my sock.  I don’t think anyone would get into them more than once.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:35:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Pyracantha grows well in central Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Himalayan blackberries.

They grow like weeds around here.   Total pita to traverse or eradicate.

Not sure if they grow in your AO.   If you want, I could mail you a few hundred seeds.   (Each berry has a bunch)
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:37:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Spanish Bayonet.

I don't know if they can grow that far north but you should find out.
My Grandmother had a solid row of them and we had to call EMTs to come pull a kid out of them once.
It was brutal.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:39:08 PM EDT
[#41]
honey locust

Seriously, fuck these trees.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:39:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Blackberries.  Double win
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:39:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Knockout Roses.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#44]
I don’t know if this plant grows up there, but trifoliate orange is something that will definitely keep people out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Second on the barberry,  very hardy, relatively cheap,  plant in a hedge .
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:44:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Many years ago, we planted Spanish Bayonet (Yucca) around a .gov facility in Miami. That damn stuff sure lived up to its name. Only grows in zone 9/10/11 iirc.

You could try a Juniper bush of some kind. Not fun to crawl around in either.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#47]
I like the idea of planting cocaine on the outskirts of assholes property, and then calling the cops as an "anonymous tip".
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:45:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Kudzu cross bred with poison ivy?
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

I'd say trifoliate orange or flying dragon citrus, but I think you just beat that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#50]
I've got several acres of blackberry hell you're free to come relocate.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top