BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 10:59:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MyRifleMyPonyAndMe:

Sadly the crew of one scale house here is mostly retired now.  But 5 years ago, I would have volunteered to haul a load of bees for free, as long as I was fairly overweight. Just wanted to pull across the scale, get the Yellow light, put my bee suit on, tap the hives with a hammer as I walk in to meet the DOT lady and say "well, those bees oughta be awake now lets get the tape measure out and figure up my ticket!"
View Quote
Which one?

There are a couple of WYDOT scales that I tend to take the scenic route to avoid going through even with a legal load because of the officers working there. It's not hard to get around them if you know the roads. For the most part there seems to be an improvement in attitudes at the Port of Entries over the years but there are a few royal dick heads at a couple.

WYDOT does take (legitimate) complaints pretty serious. If you ever run into problems fire an email off to [email protected]. it helps if you get the officer's name and/or badge number.

Gillette used to be bad about ripping up Oversized/Overweight permits issued by another Port of Entry over a few inches difference in measurements or a few hundred pounds of weight (the scales are allowed a 2% variance in their calibration). They've been told to knock it off. There used to be a cantankerous old bitch at the Sundance port that got transferred to Cheyenne for an attitude adjustment after enough complaints were filed. Like all things government it takes a bunch of documentation before they can effect change but they do listen.

Link Posted: 4/15/2023 11:15:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#2]
Originally Posted By bigcraig:
I usually don't take pics, time is money.

Here are some pics I have saved on my computer.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77315/26167277_10210442476200914_5793619974176-1863250.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77315/IMG959405-839397.jpg

View Quote
I'm bad about taking pictures of my work anymore. I used to take all kinds of pictures when I was new but after a while even moving big stuff gets routine and I forget. I need to remember to take more as it's cool to look back and say "I did that" it also helps me keep track where and when I did something, it gets hard to remember everything.

One of my "Holy Shit I did that" pictures:

Link Posted: 4/15/2023 11:38:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bigcraig] [#3]
I found a few more pics on my work phone.

Also, please forgive my dirty truck, I am constantly hauling in and out of jobsites and AG mines.

My truck also had 820K+ miles of hard working life. A new rig has been ordered for me, sadly, it will be less capable than my current "beast". I am going to miss my 18spd transmission and uncorked engine.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 8:27:25 PM EDT
[#4]
SO Awesome..

Thanks Subnet..
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 8:50:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 11:59:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: barbcue] [#6]
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
I'm bad about taking pictures of my work anymore. I used to take all kinds of pictures when I was new but after a while even moving big stuff gets routine and I forget. I need to remember to take more as it's cool to look back and say "I did that" it also helps me keep track where and when I did something, it gets hard to remember everything.

One of my "Holy Shit I did that" pictures:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119852/Prime_Mover_and_Drag_Line-2223033.jpg
View Quote

Jesus SEABEE..

Dude yer "wheels" are Bad Ass !

That a Kenworth ? i just drove a brand new one the other day, never drivin a truck that wanted to go trucking by itself so bad..It was like i was just along for the ride and a bit of guidance only a 10 speed but man what a ride..

Roll Tide !  
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 12:09:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 56cbr600rr] [#7]
Originally Posted By PhuzzyGnu:
I'm off today but I'm preloaded for Monday.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/Screenshot_20230401-174708_png-2766924.JPG

Deadheading from my last drop in Muskogee, OK to Subaru America in Lafayette, IN.  I get paid loaded and empty.
View Quote

Hah!  I’ve been selling Subarus for 11 years now.

Link Posted: 4/16/2023 12:26:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#8]
Originally Posted By barbcue:

Jesus SEABEE..

Dude yer "wheels" are Bad Ass !

That a Kenworth ? i just drove a brand new one the other day, never drivin a truck that wanted to go trucking by itself so bad..It was like i was just along for the ride and a bit of guidance only a 10 speed but man what a ride..

Roll Tide !  
View Quote
It was a special built Kenworth Prime Mover, 7 speed Allison auto, a 4 speed aux transmission and planetary geared final drives. Top speed was 28 mph in high range and it was rated at 1 million pounds at the draw bar. There's 66,000 lbs of crane counter weights sitting over the drives for traction.

They dismantled a Dragline in Gillette and moved it to a different mine, we did the hauling. That piece was 1.4 million pounds (not including the trucks and trailers). We were in the running for Heavy Haul Move of the Year in 2015 but lost out mainly because we didn't hire a professional production company to video/document the job, one of our Engineers put the videos together (awesome job considering he's an amateur/hobbyist)

Here's a video of us moving on the County Road between mines (I'm driving the lead Peterbilt Prime Mover):

Drag Line Rev Frame Section - Platform Trailer

Here's a longer video showing the whole process

Energy Transportation Inc. - Drag Line Haul 2015

Link Posted: 4/16/2023 12:33:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: barbcue] [#9]

"There's 66,000 lbs of crane counter weights sitting over the drives for traction."

Saw them Blocks !  that was my next question Good Lord Brother im as professional as i can be for only hustling trucking coming on 2 years..

My goal is/was heavy haul or maybe Tankers ?  hell i dont know (i drive a chip truck  )

You are in a different world Brother.

RESPECT !

BTW, you ever train padawans ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS7HWV-Gib4
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2023 12:40:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#10]

My goal is/was heavy haul or maybe Tankers ?  hell i dont know (i drive a chip truck  )

You are in a different world brother.

RESPECT !

View Quote
I kind of just fell into the job, I wasn't planning on working that hard after retiring from the Navy, I was looking for a nice easy trucking job

I landed at the right company, at the right time, with the right people in charge. I started out as a simple counter weight hauler and rigger, 3 years later we were doing that.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 12:43:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: barbcue] [#11]
I kind of just fell into the job, I wasn't planning on working that hard after retiring from the Navy, I was looking for a nice easy trucking job

I landed at the right company, at the right time, with the right people in charge. I started out as a simple counter weight hauler and rigger, 3 years later we were doing that.
View Quote

Fuggin Truckggin

it will do that to you  

You ever train Padawans ?
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 12:56:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Fuggin Truckggin

it will do that to you  

View Quote

I tried once and this happened (I was riding shotgun when it went over):

That's my student climbing out of the rig.

Link Posted: 4/16/2023 12:59:34 AM EDT
[#13]
The problem with working at a crane company is everyone wants to be a crane operator, I can't get anyone to stay in trucking long enough to learn heavy haul. I'm kind of a one man show at my current company/branch.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 1:07:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: barbcue] [#14]

For fucks sake that road is passive as hell.  WTF happened ?

I run hwy 299 which one of the most dangerous highways in the country. passed every form of law enforcement with a blown tire yesterday as they delt with a weekly fatality and were all looking in the river..

Had a inner trailer tire blowout and had no choice but to run it another 100 miles just to get phone reception another Trucker in the opposite direction piped up on CB said he could hear my "cap flapping" a quarter mile away from THE LAW ..

So i had to make a descision spend the night in the middle of no where OR run it ? ...

I grabbed a gear and stepped on it   cap finally let loose and it quite'ted down a half mile from where every law enforcement agency was looking over the edge of the road and into the drink..

I puckered up did 30 and sneaked on by...

Ran another 100 miles dumped my load and swapped trailer at our other yard

WHEW..

Trucking is alot like "triage on the battlefield" sometimes you have to make difficult descisions

RIP to the Driver of the 4 wheeler.. i see it all the time on 299

Fridays...
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 1:08:21 AM EDT
[#15]
The problem with working at a crane company is everyone wants to be a crane operator, I can't get anyone to stay in trucking long enough to learn heavy haul. I'm kind of a one man show at my current company/branch.
View Quote

Crane Operator PAYS MORE and is less DANGEROUS..

sign me up..
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 1:19:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#16]

Crane Operator PAYS MORE and is less DANGEROUS..

sign me up..
View Quote
I make as much as the guy running a 400 ton crane  Plus I.R. a crane operator too (have my NCCCO) I just enjoy trucking more, cranes are just picking stuff up in one spot and setting it down in another .

The best we could figure with the rollover, the trailer wheels got down on the edge the drainage ditch, the stinger was still on the road and took the weight off of the 3 axles and pivoted the trailer into the ditch. The 80 ton RT we were hauling is top heavy as hell. It doesn't look like it in the picture, and even in person but the road is actually off camber quite a bit too. We were only going about 2-3 mph when it went over. If the driver had been about 2 more feet wider in the turn we probably would have stayed upright.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 1:22:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: barbcue] [#17]
WORD.

He swamped the one side in deep shit,, sank his right side too far and it was curtians.. The shift in weight just carried it over..

He didnt swing wide enough in that corner

10-4 i see it now..
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 1:49:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: barbcue] [#18]
I feel after this thread i should  start a Trucking SHTF thread,, simply because of my hwy 299 route, and the fact that people think OH YOU"RE A CALI truck driver..

Ah NO im a Northern California "Night Shift" Trucker..Believe it or not there are places i go that if i really broke down it could be 2 days before im rolling again.

As soon as i can learn to post pics - my first post will be what i bring with me.

From fishing to Steaks and BBQ- lighters- smokes and water/ drinks etc...And im not even an over'night Driver..

And theres a-lot of crazies in those hills when your broke down and they know it as well.

Lucky im local as fuck and have a pony tail down to my ass..

Link Posted: 4/16/2023 1:53:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 1:56:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: barbcue] [#20]
10-4 i think its a great idea..

im Green as hell compared to Sea Bee.

But im Legit as far as what i do..

Its all about learning from eachother imo..

SeaBee has a lot to teach

i hope i have a few things- maybe ?..
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 2:02:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: barbcue] [#21]
Anytime somebody can show me how- TO POST PICTURES.

My dumb ass will forever be in yer Debt.

Link Posted: 4/16/2023 2:06:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 2:18:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Subnet:
You're a Team member, so it's easier than it is for most. I'm your Huckleberry. Ask away.
View Quote

Thanks Sub, ill hit you up in the AM..

Link Posted: 4/16/2023 7:03:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Off to bed shortly. Getting up at 1:00am to run three loads tomorrow. It’ll be a 650 mile day, probably 15 hours.

When the sun is shining, it’s wiiiide open!
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Tough day tomorrow, I have to go to Lincoln NE and pick up a driver and bring him back to Wyoming (In a pickup truck ). Long drive though.

My T-800 still doesn't have a new turbo
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 9:09:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Tough day tomorrow, I have to go to Lincoln NE and pick up a driver and bring him back to Wyoming (In a pickup truck ). Long drive though.

My T-800 still doesn't have a new turbo
View Quote

Dang, that sucks. Can’t get the part? One would think that’s a common enough motor. Or maybe yours has a larger turbo than a standard X15/ISX?
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 10:49:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MyRifleMyPonyAndMe] [#27]
Which one?

There are a couple of WYDOT scales that I tend to take the scenic route to avoid going through even with a legal load because of the officers working there. It's not hard to get around them if you know the roads. For the most part there seems to be an improvement in attitudes at the Port of Entries over the years but there are a few royal dick heads at a couple.

WYDOT does take (legitimate) complaints pretty serious. If you ever run into problems fire an email off to [email protected]. it helps if you get the officer's name and/or badge number.

Gillette used to be bad about ripping up Oversized/Overweight permits issued by another Port of Entry over a few inches difference in measurements or a few hundred pounds of weight (the scales are allowed a 2% variance in their calibration). They've been told to knock it off. There used to be a cantankerous old bitch at the Sundance port that got transferred to Cheyenne for an attitude adjustment after enough complaints were filed. Like all things government it takes a bunch of documentation before they can effect change but they do listen.

View Quote

District 3 is where my problems mostly lie, they don't let me out much.

I wouldn't say I've gone as far as to make a formal complaint (out of fear of retribution) but have made many comments, about any chance I get when I intermingle with ranking officials.  

Should be interesting to see who we end up with as Wydot director, their attitude, and how the trickle down works.  The previous, while I admired and was grateful for his service, his experience didn't quite ever seem to modify into a public Servance leader.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 2:58:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Dan1918A2:

Dang, that sucks. Can't get the part? One would think that's a common enough motor. Or maybe yours has a larger turbo than a standard X15/ISX?
View Quote
Just got back to the yard at midnight, 18 hour day driving a pickup , a bit over 1000 miles today, most of it through Northern Nebraska  

I got to talk to the mechanic this morning as I was leaving, he just about had my truck back together, I'll get it back on Wednesday.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 3:33:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: barbcue] [#29]
It rained and rained and rained here, i was pretty much damp all day on my Redding run- and my heater dont work for crap. So i couldnt really dry out.

Wind ,Sun,Rain,Hail,Snow,Thunder,Lightning.

I saw it all today..

The worst of it ..the, you know- "Hail Thunder and Lightning" part ?
Was when i got back to the yard and was trying to wash my truck.

Looks like another truck caught on fire on my 299 route, but they cleaned it up fast as i didn't see anything on my way back.

https://kymkemp.com/2023/04/17/commercial-truck-on-fire-blocking-hwy-299-near-berry-summit/

Link Posted: 4/18/2023 10:09:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dan1918A2] [#30]
Glad you’ll be back in your office, Mech. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#31]
I’m currently unloading dry bulk cement into that silo.

Lincolnton, GA, not too far from Augusta. Nice little ride.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 9:43:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#32]

Big trucking today, a 15 ton Carry Deck and a pickup. Got to drive down to Rangely, CO in a small blizzard to pick them up. It's good to have my truck back.

ETA: I sure wish winter would give it up, I'm tired of driving in the snow
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:53:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Attachment Attached File

Concrete. Almost always concrete
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:58:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Looks like someone stole your clutch pedal

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:54:01 AM EDT
[#35]

ETA: I sure wish winter would give it up, I'm tired of driving in the snow
View Quote

THIS !

So tired of the cold and wet, i feel like we are caught in a perpetual WINTER - like  a Twilight Zone episode or something.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:58:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#36]
Stopped in Rawlins last night, just woke up to more snow. I have to get over to Cheyenne by noon which means taking I-80 across and getting over Elk Mountain before they close the roads, FML

ETA: The sun came out for a bit and melted most of it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:51:52 AM EDT
[#37]

Sadly the crew of one scale house here is mostly retired now.  But 5 years ago, I would have volunteered to haul a load of bees for free, as long as I was fairly overweight. Just wanted to pull across the scale, get the Yellow light, put my bee suit on, tap the hives with a hammer as I walk in to meet the DOT lady and say "well, those bees oughta be awake now lets get the tape measure out and figure up my ticket!"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I've always wondered if DOT gives bee haulers a wide berth, I can't image them beeing (see what I did there ) too gung-ho about doing a Level 2 on you guys.

I know the truck stops don't like you guys hanging around.

I am not a trucker but I do own a few hives and ship bees on semis between CA, WA and MT.  The scales do stop and write bee trucks tickets.  We loaded one last night that was right or just over weight on the trailer.  He was planning a senic route.  

I have heard stories of them pulling loaded bee trucks in for a level 2 inspection.  They try to kick the truck out after realizing what the load is but the driver demands they complete the inspection.  Inspection is completed and signed off in a real hurry is how the story is told.

Trucking is expensive.  Cost at least $5.50 a mile for a decent driver.  A dumb and/or lazy driver can really piss a guy off.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Fuggin Truckggin

it will do that to you  

I tried once and this happened (I was riding shotgun when it went over):

That's my student climbing out of the rig.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119852/IMG_20201119_135654051-1758958.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119852/IMG_20201119_135609988_HDR-1758959.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119852/IMG_20201119_135823515_HDR-1758960.jpg

How the fug did that happen?

I'm a trainer, and it's fun picking up one or two permit loads with each student. It's usually nothing too crazy, most of the time it's a regular stepdeck, and once in a while one of our RGNs. It's good practice for them to be forced to navigate without the Copilot GPS.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 6:43:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Nothing.
I don't work weekends very often.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By OverScoped:
Nothing.
I don't work weekends very often.
View Quote

Same here. I parked for my 34 yesterday in Clearwater MN at the Petro. FM said that we ain't got much going on in Minnesota right now, so I'll probably have to sit tight until Monday... I've got a student with me, and he's starting to get antsy. But it's a good lesson for him - Sometimes they don't think freight be like it is. But it do.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm at home

I'm going to catch a flight to Indianapolis on Monday. I'll rent a car and drive to Effingham, IL to pick up my truck.

I'll load the rental on my truck and drive it back to Indianapolis to return it (car haulers are cool) and then I'll head to Lafayette for a load of Subarus.

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:12:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Attachment Attached File
I delivered a couple crates to the truckers of the skies today. They were flying 1967 DC-9 and it was definitely pre-emmisions. Their HOS are 16 hours on duty with 8 of them flying.
I also grabbed another load today going to MIA and leaving on a 747 but I thankfully I just bump the dock and they slide it off the back of my truck. Getting on the tarmac at MIA is a huge pain with less than 24 hours notice.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Looks like someone stole your clutch pedal

View Quote

Been in mostly Allison equipped trucks for the past 17, of 34, years doing this. The autos are lower maintenance, much more driver friendly for in-city, highball round trip work. The first Allison's we had didn't have a low or low reverse gear like the current version. It took some time getting used to backing down steep hills in Drive, using the throttle to control the descent but once you get accustomed to it it's pretty slick. Just watch the trans temp gauge. Really cant touch the brake pedal or the front tires lock up and you lose steering control.
Overall, for the type of work we do, the auto is a better option. Still, there are a few things a manual does better.

The driveway in that picture was about 18° (34% grade as best I can calculate) disc brakes did not want to hold the truck still when park brake was set. It was a chore holding the door open to climb out after chocking all the drive tires.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 12:10:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By CornfieldCong:

How the fug did that happen?

I'm a trainer, and it's fun picking up one or two permit loads with each student. It's usually nothing too crazy, most of the time it's a regular stepdeck, and once in a while one of our RGNs. It's good practice for them to be forced to navigate without the Copilot GPS.
View Quote
Explanation back up at post #16

He wasn't wide enough in the turn and got the trailer wheels on the edge of the drainage ditch. A Tadano GR-800EX 80 ton crane with a mounted jib and counterweight is a very top heavy load.

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:32:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#45]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Lafayette, IN to San Antonio, TX.

Let's see if I make it this time.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 12:39:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#46]
Day 3 of sitting in a hotel getting paid 8 hour/day standby time.  

There was a big rush to get me to Cheyenne on Saturday to load a building on my Highway Max only to have them say they weren't going to be ready to move/place it until Monday morning. Monday rolls around and they still weren't ready to place the building. Tuesday the rain and lighting shut the job site down and late last night I got a call saying Wednesday was a wash too.

At least I get paid to sit around and my company gets paid a bunch for having a trailer tied down with a load.

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#47]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119852/IMG_20230422_134913795_HDR-2796530.jpgDay 3 of sitting in a hotel getting paid 8 hour/day standby time.  

There was a big rush to get me to Cheyenne on Saturday to load a building on my Highway Max only to have them say they weren't going to be ready to move/place it until Monday morning. Monday rolls around and they still weren't ready to place the building. Tuesday the rain and lighting shut the job site down and late last night I got a call saying Wednesday was a wash too.

At least I get paid to sit around and my company gets paid a bunch for having a trailer tied down with a load.

View Quote

Shit, at least you're not in Minnesota. Apparently there's no freight there. I sat for almost 4 days over the weekend in Clearwater with my student waiting on a load. Now we're running a load of steel from Gerdau in Wilton, IA to Willmar, MN...
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:38:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Go-go girls.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By CornfieldCong:

Shit, at least you're not in Minnesota. Apparently there's no freight there. I sat for almost 4 days over the weekend in Clearwater with my student waiting on a load. Now we're running a load of steel from Gerdau in Wilton, IA to Willmar, MN...
View Quote
Ooof. Don't ever accept a load into Casper, WY from what I hear from the guys we broker it's almost impossible to find a load going back out. They usually have to deadhead up to Billings or down to Colorado to get a load.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#50]

What did they say ended up being the issue that caused the breakdown?
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top