BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 6:49:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dan1918A2:

What did they say ended up being the issue that caused the breakdown?
View Quote

Uh, yeah.  About that.

The Peterbilt service lady sady they found no active faults but there was 50 amp fuse -not sure which fuse- blown in the battery compartment.  This couldn't have been the direct cause of my two shutdowns, because... well, fuse.

The Peterbilt techs were tracing wiring looking for a short or chafing and got into some of the carhauler-specific wiring and called our shop for guidance and our shop lead told them not to pursue it any further because of warranty issues

I figure something tripped a circuit breaker or something straight up overheated.

I would bet it's something in the cab controller circuitry because every Peterbilt I've ever driven- and I have well over a million miles in Peterbilts- has had some bullshit with the cab controller.

"Shop says they couldn't find anything and they test drove it.  Good luck, Jason."

The miles-long no shoulder construction zone on I-57 south of Mount Vernon made me nervous.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 6:53:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#2]

View Quote
Double tap
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 6:51:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By PhuzzyGnu:

Uh, yeah.  About that.

The Peterbilt service lady sady they found no active faults but there was 50 amp fuse -not sure which fuse- blown in the battery compartment.  This couldn't have been the direct cause of my two shutdowns, because... well, fuse.

The Peterbilt techs were tracing wiring looking for a short or chafing and got into some of the carhauler-specific wiring and called our shop for guidance and our shop lead told them not to pursue it any further because of warranty issues

I figure something tripped a circuit breaker or something straight up overheated.

I would bet it's something in the cab controller circuitry because every Peterbilt I've ever driven- and I have well over a million miles in Peterbilts- has had some bullshit with the cab controller.

"Shop says they couldn't find anything and they test drove it.  Good luck, Jason."

The miles-long no shoulder construction zone on I-57 south of Mount Vernon made me nervous.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

What did they say ended up being the issue that caused the breakdown?

Uh, yeah.  About that.

You called that outcome. Word for word, you were told what you expected to hear!

Link Posted: 4/27/2023 9:26:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
Ooof. Don't ever accept a load into Casper, WY from what I hear from the guys we broker it's almost impossible to find a load going back out. They usually have to deadhead up to Billings or down to Colorado to get a load.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CornfieldCong:

Shit, at least you're not in Minnesota. Apparently there's no freight there. I sat for almost 4 days over the weekend in Clearwater with my student waiting on a load. Now we're running a load of steel from Gerdau in Wilton, IA to Willmar, MN...
Ooof. Don't ever accept a load into Casper, WY from what I hear from the guys we broker it's almost impossible to find a load going back out. They usually have to deadhead up to Billings or down to Colorado to get a load.

That's been my experience in Casper too. Took a 3 day reset there last summer.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 9:33:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Not hauling squat today. Was supposed to have a 4 load day, probably about a $450 day, but it cancelled. My customer’s customer determined that the jobsite was still too soggy from the weekend rain to be pouring 400 yards of concrete.

All good.

Took the kids to school, I’ll probably hit the range for a couple hours, I’ll swing by the grocery store, and pick the kids up. All of this will free up the wife’s time, so she’ll spend more time at work and recoup some of the difference.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Worked half a day yesterday -bullshit- delivering some Toyotas to Arlington, TX.

Loaded up some Hondas and an Acura this morning at Ft. Worth/Alliance and delivered them in Tulsa.

It was a beautiful day.

Attachment Attached File

Tomorrow?  550 miles over to the Toyota plant in Princeton, IN for some Highlanders and Siennas back to Houston.

Link Posted: 5/1/2023 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Worked half a day yesterday -bullshit- delivering some Toyotas to Arlington, TX.

Loaded up some Hondas and an Acura this morning at Ft. Worth/Alliance and delivered them in Tulsa.

It was a beautiful day.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/PXL_20230501_140611978-01-01_jpeg-2802536.JPG

Tomorrow?  550 miles over to the Toyota plant in Princeton, IN for some Highlanders and Siennas back to Houston.

View Quote

You ever make it over to the Honda plant in Lincoln, AL?

I rarely head that way these days, but if you do, you will definitely see our trucks hauling cement between Birmingham and Atlanta. And plenty of other bulk tankers running the same route.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#8]

You ever make it over to the Honda plant in Lincoln, AL?

View Quote

I have but it's been years.  Same with Mercedes in Vance.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 9:58:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Currently parked for my 10 with a student at Steel Dynamics in Butler, IN. Hanging out in the breakroom at the moment....

Hauling a load of flat steel to Ford.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 5:45:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Today I drove from Tulsa, OK to Princeton, IN and loaded up my eight Highlanders out of the Princeton Toyota plant.  

I'm now at the bar next to my hotel where they offer $5 Jack and Coke pitchers.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/3/2023 8:50:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Today I drove from Tulsa, OK to Princeton, IN and loaded up my eight Highlanders out of the Princeton Toyota plant.  

I'm now at the bar next to my hotel where they offer $5 Jack and Coke pitchers.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/PXL_20230502_214146137_jpg-2803645.JPG

View Quote

Where might one find this bar, if one were to take their 34 nearby?
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 10:17:57 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

I-64, exit 25A on Hwy 41 in Evansville.  Pip's Pub.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

Damn! I was just in Evansville last week!
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Empty from Rogers, AR to Crawfordsville, IN.  Another load of Texas-boumd Subarus in the morning.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/10/2023 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#15]
So far this week, I’ve been hauling multiple loads each day out here to Lake Sinclair, GA.

A small lakefront community here is getting their roads paved, and I’m supplying the cement for them to spread on with the dirt so it hardens up sufficiently before it gets asphalted.

4 hours round trip for each load, including loading and unloading. 92 miles each way.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Attachment Attached File

Parked at my hotel in southern Missouri.

#daycablife

600 mile day tomorrow to deliver these to the DFW area and get to my hotel.

Easy peasy.

Link Posted: 5/11/2023 5:32:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#17]
Attachment Attached File

More Subarus tomorrow including three manual transmission WRX.  

Heading back home to Houston.

Probably heading east again next week, this time to pick up some Camrys out of the Toyota plant in Georgetown, KY for a gravy 1,000 mile haul back to Houston.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Man i hate more than a 2 hour run.

How do you do it all day?
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By OverScoped:

View Quote

I guess after a couple million miles I'm used to it.

I'm not going to lie- coming into Dallas 550 miles deep in the day I really didn't want to unload.  But I sucked it up, kicked the cars off in 35 minutes and drove to the hotel.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 8:46:43 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

While the repetition can get old sometimes, I think of the pay for each load.

Music, podcasts, and yapping on the phone with my truck driving buddies helps pass the time.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:20:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#21]
Attachment Attached File

Fuggin' manual transmission WRX cars.  Just have to send it, though.

My 6'4", 225lb, size 15 self and three wee pedals don't get along.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Well, we were trying to get a 150k lb transformer into a substation in Commerce City, CO today but it's been raining for over 24 hours. This happened when I tried to nope back out of the access road.

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Just watching the crew work.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/12/2023 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#24]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119852/IMG_20230512_080125509_HDR-2814090.jpgWell, we were trying to get a 150k lb transformer into a substation in Commerce City, CO today but it's been raining for over 24 hours. This happened when I tried to nope back out of the access road.

View Quote

Damn!

Pics of the recovery setup? How long did it take to get it squared away?
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 1:35:37 AM EDT
[#25]

Damn!

View All Quotes
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119852/IMG_20230512_080125509_HDR-2814090.jpgWell, we were trying to get a 150k lb transformer into a substation in Commerce City, CO today but it's been raining for over 24 hours. This happened when I tried to nope back out of the access road.

Damn!

I was a little busy and just snapped that quick picture but believe it or not a F550 and a Ram 1500 pulled me out. Thank god I have full axle locks on my drives and not just a power divider. With the Goldhofer SPMT I had loaded I'm at 143,000 lbs, I was really expecting we would  have to call out a wrecker.

There was an electrical vault in the ground right next to where my driver's side steer tire is sunk. As the ground gave way it pulled me towards the vault. With all the rain I sunk deep enough my bottom step was touching the ground, my fuel tank missed the corner of the vault by a couple of inches. It almost was a real bad day.

The transformer were were going to install is loaded on a 13 axle, he's around 230,000 lbs GVW, we called the job off until the weather improves we would have hopelessly buried the transformer truck trying to get into the sub.

The aftermath: You can see the vault I almost fell into.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 9:51:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#26]
Hey, whaddya know?  More cars.

Attachment Attached File

An out-and-back load for Monday morning and then I'll reload to head towards KY.

And I beat the inbound rain.

Attachment Attached File

Edit:  first light leaving work.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/13/2023 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I was a little busy and just snapped that quick picture but believe it or not a F550 and a Ram 1500 pulled me out. Thank god I have full axle locks on my drives and not just a power divider. With the Goldhofer SPMT I had loaded I'm at 143,000 lbs, I was really expecting we would  have to call out a wrecker.

There was an electrical vault in the ground right next to where my driver's side steer tire is sunk. As the ground gave way it pulled me towards the vault. With all the rain I sunk deep enough my bottom step was touching the ground, my fuel tank missed the corner of the vault by a couple of inches. It almost was a real bad day.

The transformer were were going to install is loaded on a 13 axle, he's around 230,000 lbs GVW, we called the job off until the weather improves we would have hopelessly buried the transformer truck trying to get into the sub.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119852/IMG_20230512_082738759_HDR-2814084.jpg
View All Quotes

Damn!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119852/IMG_20230512_082738759_HDR-2814084.jpg

Oh I saw the vault. That could’ve sucked real bad. Glad the outcome wasn’t too bad!
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 5:10:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#28]
Loaded up for a couple of dealers in Arkansas.

Attachment Attached File

First stop is getting the TRD PRO Tundra and the Camry on the bottom.  Come see me and I'll learn you how to back a truck down into the belly with just a wee bit of room to spare.  In the rain, natch.

Attachment Attached File

My older son (now at Texas A&M) gave me Animal when he (my son) was a little kid.  Animal has seen about as much out the windows of a Peterbilt as I have.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/17/2023 4:13:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#29]
Attachment Attached File

At the hotel.  Nine Camrys out of TMMK Georgetown ready for the 1,000-mile ride to Houston.

Easy money.

The loading setup couldn't be easier.

Attachment Attached File

Park in yellow, pick nine cars from the blue behind the truck.  In and out in under a hour.  It only took that long because I had to scan the VIN QR codes and generate the load.  Basically self checkout.

Trivia: Toyota Georgetown, KY is Toyota's largest manufacturing plant in the world.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#30]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/PXL_20230517_193854053-01_jpeg-2819850.JPG

At the hotel.  Nine Camrys out of TMMK Georgetown ready for the 1,000-mile ride to Houston.

Easy money.

The loading setup couldn't be easier.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/Screenshot_20230517-161025_2_png-2819853.JPG

Park in yellow, pick nine cars from the blue behind the truck.  In and out in under a hour.  It only took that long because I had to scan the VIN QR codes and generate the load.  Basically self checkout.

Trivia: Toyota Georgetown, KY is Toyota's largest manufacturing plant in the world.
View Quote

That’s pretty damn cool. Is that typical of Toyota? I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that their setup is efficient.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 7:13:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dan1918A2] [#31]
I’m waiting to hear back from our shop manager. My coolant overflow tank has a crack in it. Part will be in tomorrow morning. Based on what I have to do tomorrow, I REALLY don’t want to take the spare truck. Gonna be a long day. I’m hoping they can rob the coolant tank off another truck just as a stopgap.

My truck = 3 load day.

Spare truck = 2 load day.

Let’s hope for the best. Not a lot I can do but accept it, whichever outcome presents itself.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#32]

That's pretty damn cool. Is that typical of Toyota? I wouldn't be surprised to learn that their setup is efficient.
View Quote

Yup.  

I can be in and out of Toyota plants in under an hour, and I'm not particularly fast at loading.

Nissan, Hyundai, Kia?  Not so much.  And the loads are already built and assigned.

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#33]
@PhuzzyGnu

Very curious in the upcoming Toyota Stout launch.   Assuming you’re not under NDA or whatever, if you happen to see any while you’re picking up at Toyota, or hauling them, could you let me know?    Wondering when they start moving to dealer lots for a ‘24 model year release.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 3:56:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#34]
Originally Posted By Woodchuck1:
@PhuzzyGnu

Very curious in the upcoming Toyota Stout launch.  
View Quote

As soon as I see one I'll let you know. I sometimes have access to new Toyotas as soon as they arrive.

Attachment Attached File

This was Tundra prototype #9:

Attachment Attached File

And this was the pre-production TRD Pro that the YouTube journalists got to molest:

Attachment Attached File

The 2022 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro Is a Tough New Raptor Fighter

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Up to Tulsa after my 34 and then over to Toyota in Georgetown, KY for nine more Camrys.

Attachment Attached File

I'll be back Wednesday afternoon.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:32:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brawndo] [#36]
Attachment Attached File
Another day, another Antonov. I don't speak Ukrainian (I hesitate to call it Russian) but I figured out they want me to back my trailer up inside the plane tonight. Should make a cool pic later.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 6:34:55 AM EDT
[#37]
That's pretty cool? what is your cargo?
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 7:21:29 AM EDT
[#38]
That's pretty cool? what is your cargo?
View Quote
I haul new aircraft parts most of the time.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#39]
A quick Austin area load then back to Houston to pre-load for Monday. Had to stop for my breakfast tacos on the way out of town.

Attachment Attached File

Big load with the Tundras and the hybrids.  79,700lbs gross, 90' long and 14' high.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Watch out for those 13 11 bridges.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 4:04:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Watch out for those 13 11 bridges.
View Quote

...and trees and wires and signs and everything else.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Tomorrow morning I’ll be back on the same job I’ve been working for the last three weeks.

Back on site with the road builders at 7:45 AM. They should be done needing me by Wednesday, hopefully, and I can get back to the regular stuff.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 6:35:21 PM EDT
[#43]
I know it's shocking, but more Toyotas.  This time it's mostly a Tacoma fanboy load.  Six on this load and I did a shuttle of eight this morning.  All 2023 models.  The 2024 models haven't shown up yet.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:16:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dan1918A2] [#44]
New job site, just a few miles from the last one.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

And I gave the old gal a bath this morning.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Still moving prefab modules around location for Microsoft, I'm never getting out of here it seems, they're months behind schedule.

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#46]

I got diverted to pick up a load of Mustang Mach E EVs.  There are 1,000 of them that need to go to the port for export.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The railhead was just off the highway on the way to the hotel I was planning to land at anyway.  A couple of hours work and a couple hundred bucks added to the day.

Transport mode and restrictions mean we can't play with them (you can see the spring spacers in the wheel well) so I can't really report on anything.

My dumb ass couldn't figure out how to open the door because the button is hidden under the protective plastic on the B-pillar.

Once inside I found the interior to be rather sterile with just a large central portrait-mounted touchscreen (which seemed laggy trying to get the A/C running) and a small gauge screen.  There is a rotary-knob gear shift with indicator lights you can't see in bright sunlight.

Meh?  Maybe not if it is uncorked.  But meh.

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:08:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Oh yeah.

Seriously, this is weird:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#48]

Oh yeah.

Seriously, this is weird:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/IMG_20230602_100813_jpg-2837598.JPG

View Quote
Gross.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 4:58:01 PM EDT
[#49]
I ain't hauling a damn thing until Monday morning.

Attachment Attached File

A couple of stops in southern Louisiana and then I'll wave at Midcap and his chonks as I drive by on the way over to Hyundai in Montgomery, AL.

Link Posted: 6/3/2023 1:54:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#50]
Another back up generator (110,000 lbs) for Microsoft, this time on my Self Propelled Platform Trailer/RC Car

Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top