BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A few of our local trash trucks have a setup with a high pressure hydraulic accumulator and a drive unit on the trans output that's promising. Just gives some extra enough push from zero to 10/15mph then regen to slow. Supposedly returned good numbers and saved tons on brake work but it's almost a perfect use case. Those guys alternate flat footing throttle brake every 200yds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have there been attempts to make this work in cars? Seems to me this would be ideal for 1/2 ton and bigger trucks. Might need a small battery to handle sudden acceleration.
No one is doing this because there is no point in doing so.

Locomotives use electric drivetrains because it is impractical to use mechanical ones.

Hybrids use mechanical drivetrains for sustained high speed or load operations because it is more efficient to do so.

Hybrids are about downsizing the engine and using battery stored energy to provide peak acceleration in lieu of a bigger less efficient engine. Low speed operation can also be done more efficiently by battery stored energy rather than trying to operate an engine at 5% power.  Without a battery, there is no gain.

Even the GM Volt used a mechanical drivetrain for sustained power and highspeed operation.

Yea there's been lots of stabs at class 4-8 alternatives - BEV (coming along), the compressed air hybrids, variable boost hybrid (similar to Ford's Bobcat concept paired with electric) but the stuff that's been in service is pretty much conventional hybrid.

Sounds funny but a decade ago Frito Lay was the front runner - the systems types have remained consistent tho.

A few of our local trash trucks have a setup with a high pressure hydraulic accumulator and a drive unit on the trans output that's promising. Just gives some extra enough push from zero to 10/15mph then regen to slow. Supposedly returned good numbers and saved tons on brake work but it's almost a perfect use case. Those guys alternate flat footing throttle brake every 200yds.

Yea the early stuff Eaton did paved the way but it's evolved. Cool systems that seem to have a place in the market.

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

They make a model for you:

https://uncrate.com/p/2019/04/ariel-nomad-tactical-buggy-1.jpg

https://www.arielna.com/arielnomad-tactical

It's almost like different cars are made for different purposes and not everything has to conform to your needs or desires
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where do I put my golf clubs?    Not much clearance for prairie dog towns either, do the windows roll down?  pass

It's almost like different cars are made for different purposes and not everything has to conform to your needs or desires

Maybe GD directed sarcasm

Attachment Attached File

Nomads are CAF
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That's what the Chevy/GM Volt was ... and it was discontinued because people didn't buy it.  The Fisker Karma was the same, and nobody bought them.

For some weird reason, people want either all ICE or all electric, and do not seem to want electric with an ICE range extender.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is how car manufacturers should be designing the current generation of EVs. Effectively plug-in hybrids where the electric motors are the only things used to power the wheels, so you get all the characteristics and performance of EVs, but with small combustion engine generators that allow you to extend the range indefinitely. With the turbine engine used as a generator to recharge the battery on the go, this new Ariel has all the performance of a high powered EV but infinite range. That’s how manufacturers should be designing cars for the next 10-20 years.

That's what the Chevy/GM Volt was ... and it was discontinued because people didn't buy it.  The Fisker Karma was the same, and nobody bought them.

For some weird reason, people want either all ICE or all electric, and do not seem to want electric with an ICE range extender.

True, but counterpoint - this is what the Volt looked like:

It’s like they looked at the Prius and said “But how can we make it even uglier?”

Fisker was a little known low-volume startup Tesla competitor.

I’m just saying you’d think one of the big manufacturers would offer at least one car like this to offer to all the people who see the benefit and increased performance of EV drivetrains but don’t want the limited range. And that doesn’t look like a fugly abortion
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Deisel or JetA?
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Exactly - but apparent nobody watched it so reposting for ya brah

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS2XwsIFVs0

Some is answered here

Hey that looks like the very first thing I posted at the beginning of this thread  

Exactly - but apparent nobody watched it so reposting for ya brah

Appreciated
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 3:56:06 PM EDT
[#6]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where do I put my golf clubs?    Not much clearance for prairie dog towns either, do the windows roll down?  pass

Maybe GD directed sarcasm

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14291/9C687A13-3FF5-4618-8B1B-F4345A65A601_jpe-2536464.JPG

Nomads are CAF

The Nomad is fucking awesome, I just wish they made it in AWD.

This EV w/ generator drivetrain in a chassis like the Nomad would be my absolute dream car
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 4:01:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

https://www.automoblog.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Chevy-Volt.jpg

It's like they looked at the Prius and said "But how can we make it even uglier?"

I'm just saying you'd think one of the big manufacturers would offer at least one car like this to offer to all the people who see the benefit and increased performance of EV drivetrains but don't want the limited range. And that doesn't look like a fugly abortion
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is how car manufacturers should be designing the current generation of EVs. Effectively plug-in hybrids where the electric motors are the only things used to power the wheels, so you get all the characteristics and performance of EVs, but with small combustion engine generators that allow you to extend the range indefinitely. With the turbine engine used as a generator to recharge the battery on the go, this new Ariel has all the performance of a high powered EV but infinite range. That's how manufacturers should be designing cars for the next 10-20 years.

https://www.automoblog.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Chevy-Volt.jpg

It's like they looked at the Prius and said "But how can we make it even uglier?"

I'm just saying you'd think one of the big manufacturers would offer at least one car like this to offer to all the people who see the benefit and increased performance of EV drivetrains but don't want the limited range. And that doesn't look like a fugly abortion

Attachment Attached File

Your last sentence tho...$50k didn't help

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Electric vehicles have better performance than ICE vehicles. It’s why all the top record-setting HyperCard these days are becoming EVs. Regardless of what’s powering the motors (battery or generator), quad motors > ICE
View Quote

EVs might have better initial accerallation against some fuel driven engines [ICE is a liberal term], but sustained EV performance falls short even within 1320ft.  No enthusiast drives or races a stock vehicle unless they have to by rules.  Modded fuel engined vehicles are not even on the same spectrum as EV in performance.  They completely outclass EVs.  

There are zero sanctioned races including both gas and EV vehicles for a reason.  It's segregated like women's and men's sports because the men always dominate.  Examples being Formula and NHRA.

I'm affiliated with quite a few "non pro" racing events like World Cup Finals and TX2K.  Zero EVs are capable of competing and the 1/4 mile is best realm for EVs since they don't have the endurance to compete in any other form of racing.  

As for this Ariel EV, the video you posted showed a 100% non-functional turbine range extender was most likely a fake prop. The turbine was the only reason for it being in a video.  If it was real it would be high pitched loud as fuck and a shit choice for a generator on a street driven vehicle.   Heck, the EV part of the car even broke during the limited filming and when it worked it wasn't impressive for claimed stats.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

EVs might have better initial accerallation against some fuel driven engines [ICE is a liberal term], but sustained EV performance falls short even within 1320ft.  No enthusiast drives or races a stock vehicle unless they have to by rules.  Modded fuel engined vehicles are not even on the same spectrum as EV in performance.  They completely outclass EVs.  

There are zero sanctioned races including both gas and EV vehicles for a reason.  It's segregated like women's and men's sports because the men always dominate.  Examples being Formula and NHRA.

I'm affiliated with quite a few "non pro" racing events like World Cup Finals and TX2K.  Zero EVs are capable of competing and the 1/4 mile is best realm for EVs since they don't have the endurance to compete in any other form of racing.  

As for this Ariel EV, the video you posted showed a 100% non-functional turbine range extender was most likely a fake prop. The turbine was the only reason for it being in a video.  If it was real it would be high pitched loud as fuck and a shit choice for a generator on a street driven vehicle.   Heck, the EV part of the car even broke during the limited filming and when it worked it wasn't impressive for claimed stats.  

View Quote

FIA WC says hi.

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#10]

I seriously looked into a Nomad 3 years ago.  Joined their forums and spoke with Atom owners.   The Atom owners liked them as track toys, but thought the build quality was shit and they received zero after sale support from Ariel NA or UK.  None of them ever drove them on the street more than once or twice because it was that bad.  

I learned the Nomad is basically non-existant. They made a few of them and haven't made a new one in roughly 3 years because no one wanted them with much cheaper and capable options in the class... mainly SxSs.   When one of the few used ones pop up (less than a year avg ownership), they sell for $100k to someone that thinks they look cool from a youtube video.  $100k used for a poorly made barely capable British Dune buggy.  I'll pass.  

ETA:  I posted about the Nomad a few years ago on here when I was interested.  Probably the first on this forum and probably the last until this thread.  Lol.    

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I seriously looked into a Nomad 3 years ago.  Joined their forums and spoke with Atom owners.   The Atom owners liked them as track toys, but thought the build quality was shit and they received zero after sale support from Ariel NA or UK.  None of them ever drove them on the street more than once or twice because it was that bad.  

I learned the Nomad is basically non-existant. They made a few of them and haven't made a new one in roughly 3 years because no one wanted them with much cheaper and capable options in the class... mainly SxSs.   When one of the few used ones pop up (less than a year avg ownership), they sell for $100k to someone that thinks they look cool from a youtube video.  $100k used for a poorly made barely capable British Dune buggy.  I'll pass.  

ETA:  I posted about the Nomad a few years ago on here when I was interested.  Probably the first on this forum and probably the last until this thread.  Lol.    

https://i.postimg.cc/pXW2ChNB/Screenshot-20220923-151033-Chrome.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The prices surprised me. Definitely seems like it would be a a cool setup if you could buy it in kit form and save some bucks but I don't know how that works for street legality.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

There were discussions about both models here when they first appeared. I've given my impressions of Ariel previously. Simons overriding design aim is uncompromising performance in an attractive package.

Ariel's a small outfit - 20-30 folx dependent. It's a step above or below Superformance, I can never decide which. I've got a fair amount  of experience with small mfgs, therefore not much in the way of misplaced expectations.

For what it is, the Nomad's a slicker package but a comp buggy's more capable, and depending where you are (Europe), buggy's possibly unroadable. Like all Ariels they're fucking fast tho. Not my thing but remains CAF.

Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

100k would build a heck of an exo cart buggy thing
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:17:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
47hp turbine? Fucking joke. Allison C20B or go fucking home. PT-6 if you’re man enough.
View Quote

It’s an APU, it only needs to have enough power to sustain highway speed while slow-recharging the batteries.

I wish to God I could buy a 4x4 Hybrid van with this technology.  Is that so much to ask?
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 10:43:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It’s an APU, it only needs to have enough power to sustain highway speed while slow-recharging the batteries.

I wish to God I could buy a 4x4 Hybrid van with this technology.  Is that so much to ask?
View Quote

Bigger rigs could get pretty interesting.
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 7:07:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's an APU, it only needs to have enough power to sustain highway speed while slow-recharging the batteries.

The Ram 1500 EV was supposed to have a range extender - we'll see what offered at launch.

Ford, Renault, Karma, prolly a few others have BEVRE "vans" that are squarely aimed at commercial use, but I don't think any are ready for prime time.

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The Ram 1500 EV was supposed to have a range extender - we'll see what offered at launch.

Ford, Renault, Karma, prolly a few others have BEVRE "vans" that are squarely aimed at commercial use, but I don't think any are ready for prime time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's an APU, it only needs to have enough power to sustain highway speed while slow-recharging the batteries.

Are the EPA rules even written so that one could be used? Until we're able to scrap out current rules and regs innovation is a bit limited
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Looks like some heavy duty GPUs hanging off the back.
View Quote

Yeah, but can it run Crysis?

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 6:10:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Are the EPA rules even written so that one could be used? Until we're able to scrap out current rules and regs innovation is a bit limited
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm unaware of EPA rules that disadvantage PHEV/BEVRE?

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:25:16 AM EDT
[#20]
TO THE BATCAVE!
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 2:47:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just assumed all the weird emissions rules that exist would have to apply to the range extender. Catalytic converters, DEF for diesels, etc etc. I have no idea how it works with them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I think Ford patented a modular turbine range extender a few years ago.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I just assumed all the weird emissions rules that exist would have to apply to the range extender. Catalytic converters, DEF for diesels, etc etc. I have no idea how it works with them.
View Quote

Extenders would need to be certified to  whatever bin applies. This hasn't seemed to be an issue for any of the extenders extant.

As far as turbines, the class 4-8 turbine extender Wrightspeed (Ian Wrights company) was working on was supposedly very clean but I'm not at all familiar with turbine emission characteristics

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 6:30:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think Ford patented a modular turbine range extender a few years ago.
View Quote

Id be interested is seeing anything Blue or Model e doing with turbine development.

There was the bed package (tool box) that was a removable extender - but I don't recall any specific extender system associated

Cosworth has the rights and patents tied up for the CatGen system. The eyes on hydrogen as well.

Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Extenders would need to be certified to  whatever bin applies. This hasn't seemed to be an issue for any of the extenders extant.

As far as turbines, the class 4-8 turbine extender Wrightspeed (Ian Wrights company) was working on was supposedly very clean but I'm not at all familiar with turbine emission characteristics

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which ones exist currently I did a search but it included the Volt which seemed weird because I thought it had a mechanical connection. It's the one I know the least about.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Which ones exist currently I did a search but it included the Volt which seemed weird because I thought it had a mechanical connection. It's the one I know the least about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think  any are currently produced for USDM. The 3 mentioned above, Fiskar Karma, Volt (and Caddy ELR) and i3 which just ended production.

Volt and ELR operated as a serial hybrid unless conditions warranted - which Houston's explained above

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 7:07:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
The turbine extender isn't an axial turbine like in modern aircraft engines. It's basically like a turbocharger that has it's own combuster.

Catalytic combustion applied to turbines is being worked on by numerous companies. The catalytic combustion lowers temperatures below the point where the various NOx are formed. So it works in large part by not creating EPA emissions in the first place and after treatment of the exhaust is not needed.

All of the companies claim that the catalytic combustion doesn't lower efficiency. None of them explain how that is possible with lower temperatures in a brayton cycle heat engine. Perhaps combustion efficiency offsets the lower temperatures, but I am suspicious of marketing bullshit.

The numbers claimed for emissions are quite a bit lower compared to modern internal combustion engines with conventional smog control as well as turbines.

28% efficiency is low compared to peak efficiency of gasoline engines and especially Diesel engines. However, smaller engines tend to be less efficient than big ones and the average efficiency of the turbine operated at steady state and 28% may be higher than a typical IC engine that drives the wheels.

Going to need operational numbers to sort Overall efficiency of the entire thing.

The multifuel aspect is nice. When you invade some progressive state in your bat mobile, you can run on whatever fuel they have left.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top