BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Clearly you were not there the night my band played Gertlestone's Pub on Cache Road.

It was a fun night - women in skimpy outfits dancing on top of the PA speakers.
View Quote
Gerts has been dead for a decade.....
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
IIRC, a few AF higher ups involved in the process retired and were hired by Boeing shortly after they were awarded the contract.  The Airbus tankers were going to be built here in Mobile, so it was followed pretty closely by local media.  Not long after the contact was rigged, Airbus decided to build some of their passenger aircraft here, so it worked out ok in the end.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wasn't the Air Force all set to buy an airbus tanker?  IIRC McCain stepped in and threw a fit and wanted a American made tanker?
McCain stopped the initial KC-767 lease which was corrupt enough people went to jail.  The competition resulted in the MRTT being selected but the award was overturned by the GAO.  Boeing then won the following competition.
IIRC, a few AF higher ups involved in the process retired and were hired by Boeing shortly after they were awarded the contract.  The Airbus tankers were going to be built here in Mobile, so it was followed pretty closely by local media.  Not long after the contact was rigged, Airbus decided to build some of their passenger aircraft here, so it worked out ok in the end.
One was and she sent to prison for nine months over the deal.  The Boeing CFO did four months.  Big B paid a $615M fine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:54:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We should buy 1000 of them.
View Quote
450 to replace 135s would at least be a good start.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Seems like it has issues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7fFctDKKM0
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 2:07:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Seems like it has issues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7fFctDKKM0
View Quote
It does indeed have some issues which is why the AF is holding back $25M from each unit delivered until they are resolved.  But it's usable at this point to start the IOC process.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 2:17:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What airframe would you have put it on?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would prefer 777 based.

But, eh.

I could have made some money on this deal. But a certain asshole sold a bunch of stock without my permission.
Yeah it’s really weird they did the 767 platform.
Corporate welfare. The lazy B knew the passenger 767 was dead as a door nail and wanted to milk a bunch of government money to keep the line open longer. They had more powerful politicians in their pocket than airbus so they got their way.
By the time Boeing was working on their third submission they could have easily put it on the 787. The 135 has aged so well partly because it was absolutely state of the art when it was built. The 767 is state of the art 1982.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 2:36:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
By the time Boeing was working on their third submission they could have easily put it on the 787. The 135 has aged so well partly because it was absolutely state of the art when it was built. The 767 is state of the art 1982.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would prefer 777 based.

But, eh.

I could have made some money on this deal. But a certain asshole sold a bunch of stock without my permission.
Corporate welfare. The lazy B knew the passenger 767 was dead as a door nail and wanted to milk a bunch of government money to keep the line open longer. They had more powerful politicians in their pocket than airbus so they got their way.
I'm not sure how well a composite aircraft is going to take the modifications that a refueler needs.  And that ignores that a 787 has twice the empty weight of a KC-135 which means it's going to be more expensive to fly a lighter 767.

And IMHO the reason the KC-135 has lived so long is that it is a more robustly built jet than modern airliners.  It made it easier to modify since it wasn't engineered to be as light as possible under modern design knowledge.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 6:27:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Would prefer 777 based.

But, eh.

View Quote
The big complaint about the Airbus tanker was that it was too big to use KC-135 hangars, fuel barns and nose docks, while the 767-based KC-46 will fit in those facilities.

A 777 is too big to use those KC-135 facilities, and like the Airbus would require a shit ton of additional spending to build new hangars, nose docks and fuel barns at every base receiving them.  All that construction would cost as much as the contract to buy the aircraft
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My brother is doing the training implementation for Flight Safety International.

He's been crazy busy to say the least.  
View Quote
I did a search on who built the KC-46 flight simulator and found out that Flight Safety had won the contract.  I wonder if anyone I now is working for them?
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 6:37:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The big complaint about the Airbus tanker was that it was too big to use KC-135 hangars, fuel barns and nose docks, while the 767-based KC-46 will fit in those facilities.

A 777 is too big to use those KC-135 facilities, and like the Airbus would require a shit ton of additional spending to build new hangars, nose docks and fuel barns at every base receiving them.  All that construction would cost as much as the contract to buy the aircraft
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would prefer 777 based.

But, eh.

That’s complete horseshit. A 767 will not fit in unmodified KC-135 hangars without waiving clearance requirements. We did stupidly build a few 767 sized hangars when we were all in on the shady fucking lease deal that got canxed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The KC-46 is delivered to the USAF ready to go.

By that logic, Boeing builds approx 40 737s per month, so we should have gone with a 737 tanker.  Number of orders dictate production rate, the 767 would have died along with the 757 if not for this tanker deal.
View Quote
53 737’s per month right now. 57 per month starting in June. Plus we are at 1.5 P-8s per month with capacity for 2 per month over on Line 3.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

One was and she sent to prison for nine months over the deal.  The Boeing CFO did four months.  Big B paid a $615M fine.
View Quote
Ahhh the good ole "Dragon Lady" herself Darleen Druyun.  When I first started in the AF she had just left the Civil Service and was off to greater and greener pastures at Boeing.  JDAM was her pet toy and Boeing could do no wrong.  She had it out for our fuze program because we were off chasing mythical test points to meet unrealistic goals.  We were having to redesign things for this mythical point and were having problems with JDAM interface.  Long story short our parts were to spec while JDAM wasn't.  By the time we got into production she was long gone and the controversy hit.  When she was finally sent to prison (Fed Womens Prison in Marianna Florida) our entire office sent her a thinking of you card basically saying FOAD b/c we're in use by the AF.

Also, later on in my career I worked with some of the children of fired and imprisoned Boeing employees.  As far as I could tell they worked well but it was ackward talking PM stuff to someone you know has ACQ felons in their family tree.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would prefer 777 based.

But, eh.

Didn't know the 787 could accept pallets as well
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would prefer 777 based.

But, eh.

The 767 didn’t have a cargo version until the first 767 tanker boondoggle. It’s hardly the worlds largest engineering challenge to hack a hole in the side of one.

ETA: The real engineering challenge (the boom) has kicked Boeing’s ass. They are 2+ years late and it is still fucked.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:57:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This new tanker is a "game changer" and is an entirely different from any other tanker design.
I am proud to be part of the Team that is assembling and building them in Everett Washington.
The unique capabilities of this amazing aircraft have only just begun.
Everyone will want one.
View Quote
GEs or Pratts?

I loathe Pratts.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The 767 didn’t have a cargo version until the first 767 tanker boondoggle. It’s hardly the worlds largest engineering challenge to hack a hole in the side of one.

ETA: The real engineering challenge (the boom) has kicked Boeing’s ass. They are 2+ years late and it is still fucked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would prefer 777 based.

But, eh.

I’m not sure that cutting a cargo door sized hole into a composite fuselages isn’t necessarily a small engineering question.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
GEs or Pratts?

I loathe Pratts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This new tanker is a "game changer" and is an entirely different from any other tanker design.
I am proud to be part of the Team that is assembling and building them in Everett Washington.
The unique capabilities of this amazing aircraft have only just begun.
Everyone will want one.
GEs or Pratts?

I loathe Pratts.
The Air Force has over 450 General Electric CF6 engines in inventory (between the E-4, KC-10, VC-25, and C-5M), and has used them for over 30 years, along with the according training, operation, and maintenance infrastructure for the type.

So, of course, for the KC-46A, they went with with a new engine type (for the service), the Pratt & Whitney PW4062.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would prefer 777 based.

But, eh.

767-300F - Launched 1993
KC-767 - Launched 2002
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wasn't the Air Force all set to buy an airbus tanker?  IIRC McCain stepped in and threw a fit and wanted a American made tanker?
McCain stopped the initial KC-767 lease which was corrupt enough people went to jail.  The competition resulted in the MRTT being selected but the award was overturned by the GAO.  Boeing then won the following competition.
CEO Phil Condit lost his job as well.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I’m not sure that cutting a cargo door sized hole into a composite fuselages isn’t necessarily a small engineering question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would prefer 777 based.

But, eh.

Probably why customers are buying brand new 767 freighters and Boeing is increasing the production rate.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:14:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not at all.

The objective for this contract was never to add large tankers comparable in capacity with the larger DC-10 based KC-10.

It is to provide fleet augmentation and eventual replacement for the (relatively) smaller KC-135. (The 707 is a derivative of the 135 design.)

The size difference between the KC-135 and KC-10 is considerable.

Here's a KC-10 refueling an RC-135 which is the same airframe as a KC-135.

The KC-46 is larger than the 135 but smaller than the 10.

It allows the 46 to more easily serve in place of the 135 without having to upgrade facilities, ramps, aprons, runways, hangars, etc. which would be required for a tanker variant of the A330 or, hypothetically, a 777 based variant which would be even larger.

There's not a lot of need to use a bigger, heavier, more capable tanker when the smaller one gets the job done efficiently.

Cargo capacity is irrelevant when nearly all tanker missions take off from and land at the SAME base.   Cargo capacity only means something if you're going to take off from Base A and land at Base B where the stuff is needed.   And that's not a routine tanker mission.

Here's a good size comparison for reference.

And this one clearly defines the size range between our "standard" 135 class tankers and the "large" KC-10 class.

Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:26:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
the shocker I heard on a recent podcast is the 46 no longer has an operator in the back with direct visual on the receiving aircraft.

The system involves cameras, etc.

Guess what; there are problems with the camera system in certain lighting conditions.

Well, no kidding.  They're trying to replace the Mark I Eyeball, with it's grossly superior dynamic range with something that will just about always be inferior.

I can understand if the camera system incorporates FLIR/nightvision, but if it doesn't .........
View Quote
It’s a 2d camera system from what we have been told.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:33:27 PM EDT
[#24]
The latest I heard is that they've added a 3D vision system like your Oculus Rift/Samsung Gear type system.  Stereo visor.

I still happen to think that's a poor substitute for the incredibly simple solution called LOOKING OUT A WINDOW and letting your NATURAL 3D visual perception system do what it's VERY GOOD AT.

Whatever bright boy engineer ever thought that an electronic display system is better for a boom operator than looking out a window,  needs to be taken out behind the barn and beaten until he understands the error of his thought processes.

Fine to have an electronic vision system.  Have it there.  As a BACKUP.  Let the window be the primary vision system.   It's simpler and it works and requires no electricity, no calibration, and no maintenance other than cleaning it as needed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:40:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Gerts has been dead for a decade.....
View Quote
True....  
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 11:22:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
53 737’s per month right now. 57 per month starting in June. Plus we are at 1.5 P-8s per month with capacity for 2 per month over on Line 3.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The KC-46 is delivered to the USAF ready to go.

By that logic, Boeing builds approx 40 737s per month, so we should have gone with a 737 tanker.  Number of orders dictate production rate, the 767 would have died along with the 757 if not for this tanker deal.
Damn, I am way out of date on what the commercial side is doing.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 12:36:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, it's pretty amazing.  Boeing is building about as many 737s per month, the 737 line ALONE, as Airbus builds of ALL models,  per month.

Boeing has also built more 737s than the total number of planes Airbus has built.

There just isn't enough you can say about the 737.  First commercial service flight was 51 years ago.  Continuous production all along.  The number of aircraft ordered and delivered climbs so rapidly that I just say check Boeing's site twice a day for current updates.

A quarter of the world's entire commercial airline fleet is 737s.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 1:01:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 1:02:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 1:03:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Haha

I spent years flying passengers into Lawton and doing overnights there.

I don't remember enjoying a single stay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a horrible place when you have to go to Lawton to find something to do.
Haha

I spent years flying passengers into Lawton and doing overnights there.

I don't remember enjoying a single stay.
LOL!

Lawton is a shithole.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 3:05:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would prefer 777 based.

But, eh.

That makes a bit more sense.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 3:07:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Not at all.

The objective for this contract was never to add large tankers comparable in capacity with the larger DC-10 based KC-10.

It is to provide fleet augmentation and eventual replacement for the (relatively) smaller KC-135. (The 707 is a derivative of the 135 design.)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/61/RC135_KC10_refuel.JPG

It allows the 46 to more easily serve in place of the 135 without having to upgrade facilities, ramps, aprons, runways, hangars, etc. which would be required for a tanker variant of the A330 or, hypothetically, a 777 based variant which would be even larger.

There's not a lot of need to use a bigger, heavier, more capable tanker when the smaller one gets the job done efficiently.

Cargo capacity is irrelevant when nearly all tanker missions take off from and land at the SAME base.   Cargo capacity only means something if you're going to take off from Base A and land at Base B where the stuff is needed.   And that's not a routine tanker mission.

http://www.ausairpower.net/XIMG/tankers.png

And this one clearly defines the size range between our "standard" 135 class tankers and the "large" KC-10 class.

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/images/kc-777-image03.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not at all.

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/images/kc-777-image03.jpg
Weird in the sense that Chairborne has already talked about in that the 767 is basically a dead platform whereas the 777 is much newer and they're still building them, plus the new 777X coming out as well.  Just seems strange that they'd pick an aircraft that's almost 36 years old vs. a newer/nicer frame, regardless of the size.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 3:14:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Weird in the sense that Chairborne has already talked about in that the 767 is basically a dead platform whereas the 777 is much newer and they're still building them, plus the new 777X coming out as well.  Just seems strange that they'd pick an aircraft that's almost 36 years old vs. a newer/nicer frame, regardless of the size.
View Quote
FedEx and UPS combined have over tons 767-300Fs on order from Boeing with options for more.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 3:16:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
FedEx and UPS combined have over tons 767-300Fs on order from Boeing with options for more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are cargo 767's the same as KC-46 tankers used in the Air Force?  I think not.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 3:18:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Either way, the 767 is a viable platform and even without the KC-46 program isn't going away anytime soon.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 3:26:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Either way, the 767 is a viable platform and even without the KC-46 program isn't going away anytime soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only for cargo and that's because there's a shit ton of them out there for parts/frames, otherwise, UPS/Fedex/cargo carriers would have been buying into the 777.  I'd like to see the prices that Boeing gave these purchasers to see what kind of discounts they threw at them.

Eta: Boeing hasn't made a passenger 767 since 2014.  The only thing propping up the 767 was Fedex orders, until they got the AF to use it as the KC-46.  Lol viable platform.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 3:30:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Only for cargo and that's because there's a shit ton of them out there for parts/frames, otherwise, UPS/Fedex/cargo carriers would have been buying into the 777.  I'd like to see the prices that Boeing gave these purchasers to see what kind of discounts they threw at them.
View Quote
FedEx is the largest operator of the 777F and outside the US it's one of the most popular new cargo aircraft.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 3:44:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
FedEx is the largest operator of the 777F and outside the US it's one of the most popular new cargo aircraft.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is the point myself and others have made in this thread.  There's not really a reason to keep the 767 going, outside of huge discounts Boeing is giving people to try and prop the line up.  It would make more sense to potentially use a 777 as the tanker, given the newer airframe and not being propped up by a few planes a month, if Boeing could keep up the manufacturing timeline of them.  Those not "in the know" as to why the USAF picked the 767 over the 777 are asking this.  People like Chairborne and other USAF personnel are answering that and other questions as to why the 767 was picked when it doesn't make a lot of sense to the untrained eye.

Now you're starting to see where everyone else is coming from.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 3:50:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Not at all.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not at all.

This makes quite a bit of sense.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Started flying today. Sorry for the audio, the wind was howling so turn down the volume.

KC-46A Touch and Go at Altus AFB
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The two models are more alike than they are different and they are built on the same assembly line.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would prefer 777 based.

But, eh.

In 2008 Jim Albaugh, President of Boeing Commercial, gave some reasoning why Boeing didn't bid a KC-787 (and USAF couldn't select if if Boeing didn't bid it) for the 3rd competition: “I’m not certain this airplane lends itself … to being a derivative because this is an airplane we took a lot of weight out of,”...“We didn’t overdesign this airplane like the 707 is over designed or the 767.”
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top